• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Gen Consoles Will Be Absolutely Insane.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

calm-down-im-calm.gif

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
It will be 2028 at least before we get next gen consoles. In fact i wouldnt be surprised if its 2029/2030.
Truth be told I doubt there will be a mass adaption either way since I believe this gen truly starts very very late,so people won't feel they got what they bought for a long time, and a new gen too early would really sour a lot of people.
Of course, you don't need to upgrade day one, but still.

Chastten

Banned
I see a lot of flops flopping around in the OP but honestly, I haven't seen a major leap in generations since the mid 90's when we went from Mega Drive/SNES to PSX/N64. That actually changed how we played games and enabled entirely new kind of games.

I guess going to the PS2/NGC/Xbox was kinda significant as well but anything after that was just meh.

I haven't had a game blow me away graphically in close to two decades now.

PS4 was not weak when it launched. You have to compare it to what came before it . Also we are really still in that generation as nothing substantial has come out this gen yet.

Also you have to look at cost. You are not getting 4090 level tech in a console, not at that power draw. Maybe in 5-7 years from now it will be feasible.

Gamerguy84

As an observation yes your right.

I dont feel like weve gotten started yet with current gen properly. Next gen will be amazing but dont forget to stop and smell the roses.

I see a lot of flops flopping around in the OP but honestly, I haven't seen a major leap in generations since the mid 90's when we went from Mega Drive/SNES to PSX/N64. That actually changed how we played games and enabled entirely new kind of games.

I guess going to the PS2/NGC/Xbox was kinda significant as well but anything after that was just meh.

I haven't had a game blow me away graphically in close to two decades now.

Red Dead Redemption 2? Last Of Us 2?

There may be others but these games pay attention to the smaller details. Blood soaked bandages, characters covering their faces if the looking at bright lights and so many other little things that are easy to miss. To be honest its not graphics that wow me anymore, its interactivity with the game world. IMO that's where I'd like to see big leaps in next gen games.

That along with smarter AI like NPC's running for shelter when it starts raining or opening umbrellas or dressing according to weather conditions. Give me all of this over ray tracing or flashy graphics.

I'm at a point now where I just don't care about GPU TFLOPs.

We're 3 years into this current gen and we've barely seen any current-gen exclusive games. So we've essentially yet to see what 10/12 TFLOPs can actually do when pushed to its limit.

All we really have are the UE5 tech demos to give us a glimpse.

If next-gen does cross-gen for as long as this gen did, I really won't care about upgrading until 2-3 years post-launch.

Currently, I'm more interested in PSVR2 and what can be achieved there than next-gen consoles.

I am not sure exactly what me posting a discussion about next gen console gpu specs has anything to do with me being tense or not relaxed. Some posters here are really funny. I think they're the ones who are overly aggressive or out of their senses. Perhaps they should touch grass more often? Just a thought lol.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I am not sure exactly what me posting a discussion about next gen console gpu specs has anything to do with me being tense or not relaxed. Some posters here are really funny. I think they're the ones who are overly aggressive or out of their senses. Perhaps they should touch grass more often? Just a thought lol.
I think they mean you are jumping the gun too soon, this gen just started.

I think they mean you are jumping the gun too soon, this gen just started.
Oh well. Sucks for them, this a discussion board for video games. They can fuck off and not participate haha. Just being honest.

That's like saying let's not talk about games that don't have a release date yet or speculate about titles that haven't been announced yet. Relax dude ! Naughty Dog hasn't announced their next title yet! Stop posting about it omg!

Fucking degenerates lol @ them.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I dont follow PC gaming and didnt know 3080-90 cared are already at 30-40 tf. And 4000 class gpus are at 80 tf.

Is there a general ballpark lately what consoles do (with their recent PC architecture?). LIke consoles are 1-2 generations behind PC so in 2026 when PC gamers get a 5000 series gpu, console gamers might get the equivalent of a 3090? Or a 4090?

DeaDPo0L84

Extremely talented developers can take advantage of "lesser" hardware to make it appear it's keeping up with much more expensive hardware. But when you start to peel back the layers it's obvious a lot of caveats are having to be made to achieve the end goal. The fact that their are more and more Playstation games being ported to PC is giving us a firsthand account of these differences and they will only get more stark. But I don't say this as a "consoles are trash and you're a scrub if you play on one". They are priced accordingly for what they offer and if you're happy within that ecosystem more power to you. But their is a reason PC hardware is priced where it's at, whether it's worth it to you is an entirely different matter cause that's subjective based on the user. I say this as someone who plays on both a high end PC and a PS5.

I dont follow PC gaming and didnt know 3080-90 cared are already at 30-40 tf. And 4000 class gpus are at 80 tf.

Is there a general ballpark lately what consoles do (with their recent PC architecture?). LIke consoles are 1-2 generations behind PC so in 2026 when PC gamers get a 5000 series gpu, console gamers might get the equivalent of a 3090? Or a 4090?
I listed that in the post if you read the lower part.

Xbox Series Is right below a 2080 Ti but above the 2080 Super. The PS5 is below the 2080 Super but is about same as a regular 2080 RTX.

The PS6 depending on when they come out will most likely be 1 generation behind just like the PS5/SeriesX were when they came out.

You are looking at either the 5000 series or the 6000 series depending on their release dates. If they release in 2026 then they will be roughly a 5000s series. 2028 release will most likely be as equal as 6000 but the 7000s will be out in 2028 just like how the 3000 series came out 2 months before PS5/XSX in 2020.

Extremely talented developers can take advantage of "lesser" hardware to make it appear it's keeping up with much more expensive hardware. But when you start to peel back the layers it's obvious a lot of caveats are having to be made to achieve the end goal. The fact that their are more and more Playstation games being ported to PC is giving us a firsthand account of these differences and they will only get more stark. But I don't say this as a "consoles are trash and you're a scrub if you play on one". They are priced accordingly for what they offer and if you're happy within that ecosystem more power to you. But their is a reason PC hardware is priced where it's at, whether it's worth it to you is an entirely different matter cause that's subjective based on the user. I say this as someone who plays on both a high end PC and a PS5.
I agree 100%. I mean PC gaming will always be superior when it comes to power and tech there is no question or argument to be had.

I still think it's amazing that almost 10 years later a 1.83 tFlops machine is able to deliver titles such as The Last of Us 2 and God of War Ragnarok. It's very impressive what talented and smart developers can achieve.

I game more on my PS5 and Series X and very happy with it. My PC is kind of doo doo with my 1660 Ti, but I use my for video production mostly. Gonna wait for the 4090 Ti before upgrading lol.

I wouldn't think that is going to be much of a problem this generation. Last gen was still designed around an incredibly underwhelming CPU architecture and slow hard drives. At least this gen the base line is SSD and 8 decent cores with 16 logical threads. If nothing else, game design shouldn't be held back and software should scale well moving up and down, I would think.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I’d like to see them scratch the surface of what they can do with the current-gen systems first. I think people are collectively beginning to realize that cross-gen is really starting to hold things back

Apocryphon

Q2S6t96.gif

... but heat and power draw will be a major factor. Best to temper your expectations and hope to be pleasantly surprised.

envyzeal

I hope we can have more config options. I wish I could choose to pay more for a monster config console like we do on pc.

bitbydeath

The 3090 TI benchmarks are atrocious, Cyber Punk is by no means a great looking game and it barely sits above the older GPU’s despite supposedly having a ton more power.

I don’t think TF is a reliable factor anymore.

images

The 3090 TI benchmarks are atrocious, Cyber Punk is by no means a great looking game and it barely sits above the older GPU’s despite supposedly having a ton more power.

I don’t think TF is a reliable factor anymore.

images
Yeah I am not sure what factor is best to measure a GPU's performance. I just know that TF is the easiest thing to go off so, I am not a tech expert that would be a question best for Digital Foundry or a PC centered YouTube channel.

Apocryphon

I mean I am sure with time they'll find a way to deal with all that ?
Eventually. But tech for next gen consoles will be locked in sooner than you'd think and they also need to manage costs. It'll be interesting to see what the next gen consoles look like. Series X and PS5 are already larger form factors than were used to.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I hope we can have more config options. I wish I could choose to pay more for a monster config console like we do on pc.
If that's the case, then why don't you just not get a PC instead of a console?

ANIMAL1975

With the recent announcement of the 4090 RTX cards I am absolutely blown away at how fast and how big the leaps are in technology when it comes to GPUs and just tech in general. I know there are 2 threads on the 4090 already but I wanted to make one that specifically covers next gen systems and by next gen I am talking about the PS6 and the Next Xbox.

IMPORTANT THINGS TO NOTE - I know tFlops is not really a a perfect metric to explain how powerful a leap is in the GPU power but it's the only metric that's easiest to digest and give you a some sort of a ballpark. There are many other factors that should also be taken into account when you are talking about overall GPU performance increase.

Also, there are other factors to also consider how powerful next-gen hardware systems and not just the GPU. CPU and RAM/Memory/SSD will be another major factor, but this is strictly a GPU thread so we are only talking about GPU increases here.

First and foremost - let's lay everything out on the table here too see what we are looking at for the last 2 generations of consoles.

The PS4 and Xbox One launched in 2013

The PS4 was sitting at measly 1.84 tFlops
Xbox One was sitting at even lower 1.31 tFlops

The PS4 Pro later launched in 2016 and was sitting at 4.2 tFlops
The Xbox One X launched a year later in 2017 with 6.2 tFlops

The PS5 and Xbox Series X launched in 2020.

The PS5 is sitting at 10.28 tFlops (10.3 if we round up, so let's just stick with 10.3)
The Xbox Series X is at 12.3 tFlops (2 tFlops higher than the PS5) and is a bit higher in tFlops measurement than the 2080 RTX Super which is sitting at 11.1 tFlops. A 2080 Ti however, is 13.5 tFlops which makes it superior to both the PS5 and the Xbox Series X when talking about the GPU specifically.

Now let's look at the 3000 series and the 4000s series since we have the official numbers now.

3090 Ti is sitting at 40 tFlops which is 4x more than the PS5 and Xbox Series X and was launched earlier this year in March 2022.

3090 is sitting at 36 tFlops which is almost a 4x increase than the PS5 and Xbox Series X and was launched on September 17th 2020, 2 months before the launch of the PS5 and Xbox Series X. The consoles we already locked in to basically utilize the power of GPUs that were equivalent to the 2000 series so 1 generation behind.

3080 is sitting at 34.1 tFlops which again is a massive increase compared to the PS5 and Xbox Series X.

Another difference with these GPUs is the amount of ram and type of ram, but let's be honest RAM was never a problem anymore for console systems. The last time we had major ram/memory issues was the PS3 and 360 era and we are well past that and I highly doubt we will ever that problem again.

The PS4 and Xbox One biggest issue was the CPU, it was super outdated crappy Jaguar x86.

With how weak and pathetic PS4 and Xbox One is looking these days the wizards over at the Naughty Dog and Sony Santa Monica still have the best looking games to date. The Last of Us Part II and God of War Ragnarok are very good examples of that.

BWh1xcA.jpg

UUybFaW.png

We have seen absolutely nothing yet what the PS5 and Series X could truly do until we get those true current-gen goodies.

Anyways - back to the GPUs

We now have the specs for the 4090 and its releasing next month on October 12th with the following specs:

4090 has 84.3 tFlops that is more than double the increase of the 3090 Ti which was 40.3 tFlops.

Fast forward to 2024 we will be getting the 5000 series which will once again make the 4090 probably look like a little baby and the trend seems to always double the performance of the previous generation of the GPUs. According to Nvidia the 4090 is 2-4 times more powerful than the 3090 Ti depending on the application/game/software.

I am suspecting the 5000 series to finally break the 100 tFlops barrier, I mean that's guaranteed at this point. Don't forget there will also be a 4090 Ti and honestly that will probably very close to 100 tFlops already.

IMPORTANT THINGS TO NOTE - In 2026 it will be the 6000 series. When are the new consoles coming? I have no clue, but I am probably expecting them around 2026-2028 with 2028 at the latest and 2026 at the earliest. If the new consoles come out in 2026 then they will most likely be utilizing and be equal to the power of the 5000 series in terms of GPUs specifically, if they release in 2028 then the 6000 series. But then again, there might be some sort of a crazy curveball, I am just going of the last 10 years of how everything went. The PS6 has already entered R&D/Concepting in 2021. The PS5 started development in 2015 which is 1.5 years or so after the launch of the PS4.

What are you all expecting for the power of the GPUs out of next-gen systems?
George Clooney Reaction GIF

Gonna need a generator in the living room to power this shit.
We sell generators at my store, i do a good price for you.

If BOTW had full path tracing, fluid simulations, etc how much better would it be?
Visuals are important but there not as important as some people may think.
Yes sure, but that's not the point. Art direction is also a big factor absolutely - look at From Software titles. But you cannot deny how far and behind Nintendo is in terms of hardware that actually runs games decently. Breath of the Wild had major FPS issues on the Wii U and even on the Switch as well. Why would you not want to enjoy the game at least at 60 stable FPS? They are literally scratching the bottom of the barrel here with the performance and its getting really dumb, especially for today's technology.

old-parts

Next gen consoles are just curated PC's, there is nothing truly exciting about that, it's all a known quantity with the technology deployed on PC years in advance.

There was a time when game consoles were still "exotic" with unique hardware and capabilities not found in PC, those days are gone for now at least.

Perhaps if things continue to take a turn for the worst, some will be forced to come up with new hardware designs that arent power guzzlers.

Marvel14

Banned
This gen hasn't really got going... I don't think next gen consoles will release anywhere near 2026.

Anyway, I think PS4 exclusives showed that talent is more important when it comes to visuals; all the Tflops aren't so relevant if the games don't have the budget/talent to use them meaningfully.
This must be the First gen ever where 2 years in it feels like it hasn't taken off yet as an exclusive technical leap..I imagine next gen might be even worse....

Last edited:

Del_X

Hopefully we don't have a global pandemic which means there's only, like, 3-4 games in the first two years that even demonstrates what they're capable of. I feel like this gen is only just getting started.

I think what's more interesting is how they'll stagger pricing which I think will be the MS strategy going forward. Call it $400 and $600 for the S|X variants. Maybe a 40TF and 100TF split? The core features would likely mean we need to get full path tracing working at 1440p or 1080p on a 40TF machine?

TheMan

Yeah the new card sounds powerful but what are you gonna do with it? All these triple A games are cross platform, so you play all the same shit as on console with slightly better graphics. Ive had a 2070s for a couple of years now and there’s nothing on the market it can’t run ins perfectly playable way

Last edited:
With the recent announcement of the 4090 RTX cards I am absolutely blown away at how fast and how big the leaps are in technology when it comes to GPUs and just tech in general. I know there are 2 threads on the 4090 already but I wanted to make one that specifically covers next gen systems and by next gen I am talking about the PS6 and the Next Xbox.

IMPORTANT THINGS TO NOTE - I know tFlops is not really a a perfect metric to explain how powerful a leap is in the GPU power but it's the only metric that's easiest to digest and give you a some sort of a ballpark. There are many other factors that should also be taken into account when you are talking about overall GPU performance increase.

Also, there are other factors to also consider how powerful next-gen hardware systems and not just the GPU. CPU and RAM/Memory/SSD will be another major factor, but this is strictly a GPU thread so we are only talking about GPU increases here.

First and foremost - let's lay everything out on the table here too see what we are looking at for the last 2 generations of consoles.

The PS4 and Xbox One launched in 2013

The PS4 was sitting at measly 1.84 tFlops
Xbox One was sitting at even lower 1.31 tFlops

The PS4 Pro later launched in 2016 and was sitting at 4.2 tFlops
The Xbox One X launched a year later in 2017 with 6.2 tFlops

The PS5 and Xbox Series X launched in 2020.

The PS5 is sitting at 10.28 tFlops (10.3 if we round up, so let's just stick with 10.3)
The Xbox Series X is at 12.3 tFlops (2 tFlops higher than the PS5) and is a bit higher in tFlops measurement than the 2080 RTX Super which is sitting at 11.1 tFlops. A 2080 Ti however, is 13.5 tFlops which makes it superior to both the PS5 and the Xbox Series X when talking about the GPU specifically.

Now let's look at the 3000 series and the 4000s series since we have the official numbers now.

3090 Ti is sitting at 40 tFlops which is 4x more than the PS5 and Xbox Series X and was launched earlier this year in March 2022.

3090 is sitting at 36 tFlops which is almost a 4x increase than the PS5 and Xbox Series X and was launched on September 17th 2020, 2 months before the launch of the PS5 and Xbox Series X. The consoles we already locked in to basically utilize the power of GPUs that were equivalent to the 2000 series so 1 generation behind.

3080 is sitting at 34.1 tFlops which again is a massive increase compared to the PS5 and Xbox Series X.

Another difference with these GPUs is the amount of ram and type of ram, but let's be honest RAM was never a problem anymore for console systems. The last time we had major ram/memory issues was the PS3 and 360 era and we are well past that and I highly doubt we will ever that problem again.

The PS4 and Xbox One biggest issue was the CPU, it was super outdated crappy Jaguar x86.

With how weak and pathetic PS4 and Xbox One is looking these days the wizards over at the Naughty Dog and Sony Santa Monica still have the best looking games to date. The Last of Us Part II and God of War Ragnarok are very good examples of that.

BWh1xcA.jpg

UUybFaW.png

We have seen absolutely nothing yet what the PS5 and Series X could truly do until we get those true current-gen goodies.

Anyways - back to the GPUs

We now have the specs for the 4090 and its releasing next month on October 12th with the following specs:

4090 has 84.3 tFlops that is more than double the increase of the 3090 Ti which was 40.3 tFlops.

Fast forward to 2024 we will be getting the 5000 series which will once again make the 4090 probably look like a little baby and the trend seems to always double the performance of the previous generation of the GPUs. According to Nvidia the 4090 is 2-4 times more powerful than the 3090 Ti depending on the application/game/software.

I am suspecting the 5000 series to finally break the 100 tFlops barrier, I mean that's guaranteed at this point. Don't forget there will also be a 4090 Ti and honestly that will probably very close to 100 tFlops already.

IMPORTANT THINGS TO NOTE - In 2026 it will be the 6000 series. When are the new consoles coming? I have no clue, but I am probably expecting them around 2026-2028 with 2028 at the latest and 2026 at the earliest. If the new consoles come out in 2026 then they will most likely be utilizing and be equal to the power of the 5000 series in terms of GPUs specifically, if they release in 2028 then the 6000 series. But then again, there might be some sort of a crazy curveball, I am just going of the last 10 years of how everything went. The PS6 has already entered R&D/Concepting in 2021. The PS5 started development in 2015 which is 1.5 years or so after the launch of the PS4.

What are you all expecting for the power of the GPUs out of next-gen systems?
This is what I’ve been saying…my predictions have been true since 2014…I have a mega thread on ResetEra and a twin thread here…

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/graphical-fidelity-i-expect-this-gen.1623441/

I expect next gen consoles to be 50 to 60 TFLOPS…just look at TLOU II on PS4 (One of the best looking games ever made after TLOU I Remake) 1.84 TFLOPS…PS5 is ~10 TFLOPS… yeah…look at the Matrix awakens demo…now look at the two real time unity demos…

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I think upscaling tech will get so good that raw power won’t mean as much
It's not so much that raw power won't matter, it's that the gains will be multiplied. As this tech matures it's going to open the door for the kinds of really crazy stuff that will make CGI-quality graphics possible in realtime.

coffinbirth

Unless there is a sea change in software development, it doesn't even matter. If devs are supposed to actually take advantage of 100TF, AAA game development will take 2-3x as long. By that math, PS6 and NextBox won't even get 1st party AAA games until PS7 and Xbox 3000 are in the wild. It's untenable with current parameters.

Unless there is a sea change in software development, it doesn't even matter. If devs are supposed to actually take advantage of 100TF, AAA game development will take 2-3x as long. By that math, PS6 and NextBox won't even get 1st party AAA games until PS7 and Xbox 3000 are in the wild. It's untenable with current parameters.
Software will fix that..

Top Bottom