• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next gen is here and so are more games at 60 fps. Now what's your call on performance vs quality?

You've tasted next gen console gaming. Now what's your quality/perf opinion?

• Frame gamer. I'm a 60 fps (or 120) gamer and willingly accept crappier res, RT or shadows

Votes: 137 47.9%
  • Quality gamer. I'm picking max res, better textures, lighting, RT etc... even if it's 30 fps

Votes: 28 9.8%
  • Flip flopper. I have no allegiance. Totally depends on the game/genre

Votes: 121 42.3%

• Total voters

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Historically, consoles run at 30 fps to maintain a certain level of quality but for some games the past few gens 60 fps might be standard (sports and shooters).

But for the real eye candy it's usually 30 fps. With PS4 Pro and One X, you got some games with two options. And the choices were sometimes the same 30 fps, but one has better eye candy or res.

But with PS5/Series X (and even Series S if it can handle it), more games seem to trend to 60 fps, more games have options, and even some games have 120 fps mode (for you gamers lucky enough with a 120 fps tv).

Now with what you've seen or played, are you a max res/30/highest quality gamer? Or has the 60 fps norm on next gen changed your mind and now you're all-in loving 60 fps (or 120 fps) gamer even if a dev says there's an ultra quality mode at 30 fps?

Last edited:
Most games I'll go with performance over graphics everyday. 30 FPS is usually really janky on my OLED TV, and 60 FPS just looks so much smoother that I will usually choose performance. If a game offers better graphics at 60 FPS or performance at 120 FPS I will probably choose the graphics though

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Most games I'll go with performance over graphics everyday. 30 FPS is usually really janky on my OLED TV, and 60 FPS just looks so much smoother that I will usually choose performance. If a game offers better graphics at 60 FPS or performance at 120 FPS I will probably choose the graphics though
I hear ya.

I wanted to keep the poll concise.

But I was thinking about a 60 vs 120 choice, or something like a game only runs at 30 fps but one is stable res at worse quality or choppy 30 fps at higher quality.

GreatnessRD

Why sacrifice when you can have both?

tenor.gif

But for the sake of this thread, performance

mxbison

Is it really here though? Bunch of old & cross-gen games running on new hardware so far. Obviously they hit 60fps there.

I'm sure there will be plenty of games again that target 30fps.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
I love 60fps for the right game.

Give me a Naughty Dog game at 30fps with all those sweet bells and whistles any day 😊.

SkylineRKR

30fps is almost impossible to enjoy for me. The more 60 or 120hz games you play the harder it gets to dial down. It will be rough if Ragnarok is 30 while I just beat GoW 2018 at 60fps.

But we haven't seen many native next-gen games yet. Though the ones released are 60fps.

tvdaXD

I can't vote polls yet, so here's my take: Focus on framerate first. There's a reason digital intermediates of movies are still in 2K, it's because past 2K it doesn't matter anymore if you're at the right normal distance from your screen. Big numbers such as 4K res or even 8K is pure marketing bs.
With that being said, some games are just made for 30 fps, it's part of that cinematic feel. I would use the extra horsepower for graphical fidelity in those cases, and not resolution.

ZywyPL

Banned
Depends on the game and its end result, generally I prefer 60FPS all day long, unless the image quality greatly suffers to achieve it, then I just play the game on PC.

EDIT:
Personally I'd like for the games to offer native 4K+unlocked FPS option, so that VRR/Freesync would handle the framerate while having that crystal clear image quality.

Last edited:

Emet_bp

It all depends... Some games MUST be 60fps (optional 120) but some don'y need to... but then stable 30fps is a must.
Quality is another thing... For me quality means Details [polycount + textures + shadows + lighting + reflections + ray-tracing etc.] >>>>> 4K. Give me 1440p with better graphics over 4K.

Rayderism

I never really worried about framerate or resolution all that much, just that the game is fun to play. But on these newer consoles that give you a resolution/framerate mode toggle, I usually go with resolution.

I much prefer 60fps but if it is absolutely rock solid 30fps it's fine.

Even though it's now one of my favourite games on PS5 I couldn't play Ghost of Tshusima on PS4 as it is 30fps with heavy drops while I found the Insomniac games like Spiderman fine at 30fps as they never seem to drop below 30.

Weird but I don’t remember people appreciating MS when it started pushing 60fps on its big titles like Halo5 and Gears5. Now suddenly people «can’t play 30 fps games». Watch this narrative change extremely quickly when the proper next gen games come around at 30 fps.

Last edited:

[Sigma]

Flip Flopper. I demand 60fps from games like Devil May Cry, Bayonetta etc. Battlefield although I did play BF3 on PS3 back then and that was 30fps lol.

Ive also played games like Driveclub, Split/Second and even Vanquish at 30fps and it didn't bother me.

So it just depends on the game. I haven't changed this stance just because I have a PS5. I'd love 60fps in a perfect world for every game all while boasting all the latest graphics tech but that's not reality so i'm not going to be out there with a pitch fork on every game that doesn't run at 60fps. Consoles have set limitations, if I couldn't deal with 30fps id buy a PC and never touch a home console.

Last edited:
Im a flip flopper

if quality mode looks significantly better than performance mode then I'm rolling with 30fps

in the case of Control PS5 version i can barely tell the difference between performance mode and quality mode graphic wise so i stuck with 60fps

Last edited:

GymWolf

I have a pc to play 99% of games at 60 frames, on console i almost prefer watching all the graphic wizard devs like Nd or santa monica using the power to push other things, i'm not gonna die if i play 2-3 exclusives games a years at stable 30 frame.

60 frame mode is gonna disappear for the big exclusive open worlds who push the graphic anyway, so we don't really have a choice, unless jimbo remain with his head stuck in his ass for a prolonged period and continue with this crossgen bullshit.

Last edited:

Arun1910

I always find this interesting.

For me I'd always lean to Performance as Performance improves Quality.

Higher frames = Easier to target things, less laggy motion blur when spinning around, clearer images when in motion.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I instantly get annoyed at low framerates but rarely ever spot a lower resolution. 120fps on fps boost titles on XSX is a total game changer for me. Looks sooo good. And I’m still enjoying 100+ fps on my PC with a 4yo graphics card just because I’m still playing on 1080p screens.
So definitely a frame gamer here.

But with PS5/Series X (and even Series S if it can handle it), more games seem to trend to 60 fps, more games have options, and even some games have 120 fps mode (for you gamers lucky enough with a 120 fps tv).
60fps is definitely long overdue. I'm glad both platforms finally started pushing for it.

I really didn't expect any of the new consoles to push anywhere near 120fps though, so that was a surprise.

I'm not sure the PS5 can be considered a 120 fps machine, seeing as it's got all of about 10 or 11 games that achieve it, but the XBS S/X sure are shaping up to be. Both have about a hundred titles that have the option for 120fps so far.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I have always felt sad for people whose only measure of how good something looks is how close to realistic it looks. It’s like they lack imagination or something.

I’m really hoping there’s a 3 option standard that arises this gen for most games:

- 4K/60fps/RToff

- 1080p or 1440p/60fps/RTon

- 4K/30fps/RTon

This would probably please everyone except maybe Series S owners who likely won’t have all 3 options.

Personally give me performance. I’m in the process of playing RE8 and while it’s obvious the game looks cross gen overall, the next gen version being 4K/RT with minimal dips below 60fps is a huge boon. I’m willing to deal with a few dips to the low 50’s in this case, as the overall presentation and performance are fantastic and I likely couldn’t go back to playing the last gen version.

Isa

Gold Member
I like all the GFX, perhaps its my varied history gaming but slowdown was ofc noticeable but didn't always hinder the experience but often helped it in old games lol. Some games I enjoy 60, but if there is an option, particularly on modern consoles I always go Quality Mode. Like on my PC I always try to go full High/Ultra settings. I appreciate having the choice now though for sure so the user can opt for the experience they want.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I think a game should be 60 FPS minimum, I have a gaming PC and don't feel this way about 120 FPS even if most of my games run at 240 (got a G7 gaming monitor for that sweet refresh). The issue is the diffrence between 30 and 60 is so vast, especially in shooters that 60 really should be made the minimum. I was really hoping this gen would be the one to do it, but apparently there still going for graphics.

Closer

I'm a Flip flopper I guess. Usually I prefer framerate over anything else, but JRPGs, strategy games, visual novels and some other games, I don't really care if it's 30fps. If it's locked, it's fine.

Top Bottom