• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next gen is pretty much PC

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Minus that PS5 I/O stuff I agree.

We on PC have had something to be jealous about for once and ironically it's on a much less powerful console.

Otherwise, next and next gen are probably here now. It's the software, API, and whatever HW that needs to catch up to be properly implemented.

We're on Gen5 nvme drives that double performance. It needs to start showing in the ways that PS5 games show.

Last edited:
This sounds like my parents. They complain that their laptop is slowing down. I go and check and they have like 50 programs opening up during startup, none of them which they use.
I just updated to windows 11, my windows 10 was installed over 3 years ago and ran still fast without issues.
That is because of the utterly shit design that is Windows. The vision of a PC in every house means it should be as maintenance free as a fridge. Or a Mac.

Nothing more annoying than when nerds teehee that somebody’s PC is exploding in slow motion because the owner is not interested in tech and therefore hasn’t been manually updating registry entries every night and reinstalling their operating system on a regular basis.

A PC is supposed to be a tool for everyday use. Even cars need less babying than a windows PC ffs.

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

I'M PC guy, but I'm pretty much done with PC gaming as it is today, I'm trying to upgrade my GPU with reasonable perf x cost but its very hard, the games are plagued with stutters, shader compilation and other BS. I bought a PS5, the graphics are at a level that I find very good, PS5 exclusives are very competitive with the best PC can offer and I'm playing everything at 60fps with competitive stuff at 120.
Yes PC is more powerful, and I do love PC gaming, but I think I had enough for a while, I'll just wait for a GPU launch that wasn't a ripoff and to the games to mature a bit more on DX12Ultimate. If anything, they need to get rid of F*ckin shader compilation issues. Until that happen, I'll primarily play games on the PS5 and keep my PC to lightweight gaming and emulation.

Last edited:

MikeM

Absolutely not, there is nothing next gen about PC other than playing your current games in higher res and fps.
Its the ultimate platform for multi plats and highly customisable experience.

But the next gen isn't and never will be PC you cant push things forward when you have to develop for lowest common denominator or most popular cards.
I spent 2.5k CAD for basically FPS and better resolution. Then I turn on HFW Burning Shores and ask myself why most games on PC don’t look this good.

Its not about power- its about the care the devs put into a game. Most games nowadays don’t feel that way and just feel rushed, especially on PC with the stuttering and instability of games these days.
People be here treating PCs like they're only good for gaming.
You do know you can do more things, right? Like make money?
People like me use my 7900xt PC as a beefy console. I couldn’t careless about whatever else it does.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The PS4 and XBO were pretty much PCs as well. The days of extremely bespoke hardware like the Cell processor are gone now.

Tarin02543

yes

i will say that consoles are more efficient albeit with less performance, less flexibility, less affordable software.

TrebleShot

I spent 2.5k CAD for basically FPS and better resolution. Then I turn on HFW Burning Shores and ask myself why most games on PC don’t look this good.

Its not about power- its about the care the devs put into a game. Most games nowadays don’t feel that way and just feel rushed, especially on PC with the stuttering and instability of games these days.

People like me use my 7900xt PC as a beefy console. I couldn’t care less about whatever else it does.
Exactly same boat bro and even the lower res stuff it’s still kind of fine for example Jedi Fallen Order sure runs at 1440p 60 but it looks great, good enough to enjoy without thinking “this looks very blurry or low res”.

Of course some games are the exception but my PC is literally a top of the line Games console (I worked from it for about a month) paid for itself but mostly work from a MacBook Air.

So now PC is essentially as you say a super console that to be honest I barely turn on, steam deck gets more use tbh.

Zathalus

I'M PC guy, but I'm pretty much done with PC gamer as it is today, I'm trying to upgrade my GPU with reasonable perf x cost but its very hard, the games are plagued with stutters, shader compilation and other BS. I bought a PS5, the graphics are at a level that I find very good, PS5 exclusives are very competitive with the best PC can offer and I'm playing everything at 60fps with competitive stuff at 120.
Yes PC is more powerful, and I do love PC gaming, but I think I had enough for a while, I'll just wait for a GPU launch that wasn't a ripoff and to the games to mature a bit more on DX12Ultimate. If anything, they need to get rid of F*ckin shader compilation issues. Until that happen, I'll primarily play games on the PS5 and keep my PC to lightweight gaming and emulation.
Getting good price x performance on a GPU is not exactly hard right now. Very easily achieved with a AMD GPU, for quite cheap even. $370 will net you a GPU almost 30% faster then a PS5 with 12GB VRAM. If you are adamant for Nvidia, then yes, the $599 4070 is the only option worth considering, but that is 80% faster with way, way better RT and DLSS.

As for stutter issues, they are widely overblown, of the most recent 20 multi-plarform games reviewed by Digital Foundry a grand total of 3 are worse on PC, with 2 of those being patched already. The other 17 (up to 19 now) are better on PC. Remarkably so in several cases such as Forspoken, Dead Space, RE4, Callisto Protocol, and Returnal.

Frankly, issues with PC gaming appear to be widely overblown, which is backed up by Steams continuous user growth.

Or at least next gen is pretty much going to be handheld PC's.
I'm going out on a limb and say that more handheld PC's like the Steamdeck and the AyaNeo will sell more units than all the PC motherboards combined in the next decade.
(Will it age well?)

Edit: When I say motherboards, I mean specifically GAMING motherboards.

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

Getting good price x performance on a GPU is not exactly hard right now. Very easily achieved with a AMD GPU, for quite cheap even. $370 will net you a GPU almost 30% faster then a PS5 with 12GB VRAM. If you are adamant for Nvidia, then yes, the $599 4070 is the only option worth considering, but that is 80% faster with way, way better RT and DLSS.

As for stutter issues, they are widely overblown, of the most recent 20 multi-plarform games reviewed by Digital Foundry a grand total of 3 are worse on PC, with 2 of those being patched already. The other 17 (up to 19 now) are better on PC. Remarkably so in several cases such as Forspoken, Dead Space, RE4, Callisto Protocol, and Returnal.

Frankly, issues with PC gaming appear to be widely overblown, which is backed up by Steams continuous user growth.
Well that was my experience, I don't like AMD GPU's, I want DLSS and good RT performance. For raster games I'm okay with the PS5.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Yeah but windows is shit and will be slow as shit in a month if you do anything but gaming. If only gaming you at least get 6 months till it slows to a crawl. 🫢😱
Which version of Windows are we talking about?

Kataploom

Gold Member
Well, I'm actually happy I stayed PC instead of going consoles as main hardware, but I'll be getting them anyway, there's a game that already asks for a PS5/XSX equivalent (or even a little more power on CPU side) to run at 1080p 60 fps on low-med settings... If this is not an unoptimized mess, console players will have a rough time accepting dynamic 1440p upscaled using a temporal solution at 30 fps for basically most of the gen:

Yeah but windows is shit and will be slow as shit in a month if you do anything but gaming. If only gaming you at least get 6 months till it slows to a crawl. 🫢😱
Dude, update that celeron already, that hasn't happened to me in more than a decade and I haven't even had any high end CPU, just medium and even low-end (counting a 4C4T Ryzen CPU I had before this current 6C12T)... Or I probably don't click on all those "Check these horney milfs around your location" banners, idk...

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
I believe the OP has the console manufacturers priorities mixed up which makes this mental excersise pointless. While the manufactures will undoubtedly have a "pie in the sky" range of performance targeted, this projection assumes the ability to get such performant hardware on a particular price point. This has been evident in the longer console lifespans that has correlated with the stagnation of performance increases due to die shrinks.

If Sony or MS are dead set on a performance target, they will simply wait until the costs of such hardware drop to the level where they can be sold at mass market prices. If this was not the case, we surely would have already seen a wider range of price points and performance levels in the console space.

Generally speaking, the only examples we have of a console manufacturers pushing the costs higher to implement higher performant or non standardized hardware are machines such as PS3 and 3DO, along with a few others. In every case, the market rejected the products unless the manufacture adjusted the product to conform to the more traditional "console price point".

In saying that, there has been a slow upwards price creep over the years, but I would non expect that force to push the console prices much higher than they are currently in the near future.

Braag

That is because of the utterly shit design that is Windows. The vision of a PC in every house means it should be as maintenance free as a fridge. Or a Mac.

Nothing more annoying than when nerds teehee that somebody’s PC is exploding in slow motion because the owner is not interested in tech and therefore hasn’t been manually updating registry entries every night and reinstalling their operating system on a regular basis.

A PC is supposed to be a tool for everyday use. Even cars need less babying than a windows PC ffs.
In my parent's defense they don't speak english very well so half the time they have no idea what the PC is saying. And if they want to install some software they need and the software says "hey you also want this additional software and also this additional anti virus to be installed too?" they usually don't realize to uncheck those boxes.

But you are partly right, which is why I've always said as much as I love PC gaming, it's not for everyone and it's good that we have consoles for people who are less adept with tech, so they can play games too.

Last edited:
PC is the ultimate gaming platform. Facts! "NEXT-GEN" i don't know, because console and PC walk together in how gaming is evolving :messenger_tongue:

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Consoles only had a feature advantage on I/O until last year that DirectStorage was released, other than that, I think PC has always been a gen above consoles basically since real time 3D was a thing.

I remember not seeing much of a difference between 7th and 8th gen games, when you're playing games at 1080p and 60 fps on high or ultra settings since 2 years before the PS4 and Xbone get even announced on a mid-range GPU (yes, sub-$200 at the time), you can't get impressed by the same thing but at 30 fps on consoles.

I understood later that those seeing the "immense generational leap" were console players, but try playing some late gen 7th gen games like Tomb Raider 2013 and Remember Me (specially this, literally a full-blown 8th gen game on its PC version with its bakes global illumination and PBR materials) maxed on PC and you'll see what I mean.

The leap started to only look unreachable by 2011 mid range cards by 2016 or 2017 when games came with 2K or 4K textures and full PBR rendering pipeline, some before that like The Order 1886 looked too good too but that was mostly because of its art quality on PBR materials, something that was new at the time.

Even then, games like Beyond Two Souls on PS3 and Remember Me where already doing PBR, just that the low internal resolution didn't make it shine, so basically the only reason we didn't get PS4 looking games on PC since like 2009 or so is because it was held back by consoles (as always):

Absolutely not, there is nothing next gen about PC other than playing your current games in higher res and fps.
Its the ultimate platform for multi plats and highly customisable experience.

But the next gen isn't and never will be PC you cant push things forward when you have to develop for lowest common denominator or most popular cards.
yeah and crysis launched on the wii.

small_law

The PS5 has shown that a launch price of $500 is more than tolerable, or even a bargain judging by sales. So I wouldn’t be surprised about $600 for the standard model next time. $700 might be too rich considering there is competition.
When the PS3 launched in 2006, $600 was an intolerable price point. I can see it now with inflation, but that extra 100 bucks in value has to show up in the console. It can't just be a new version of the same thing for more money.

To put things in perspective, the Neo Geo console I think was north of $600 when it launched in the '90s. I remember thinking only millionaires could afford them, if at all.

nikos

It's not even close. Performance may be comparable to a low budget PC but the experience still is way different.

Top Bottom