• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[NEXT LEVEL lames™] ResetEra sold to M.O.B.A. Network for USD$4.55 million

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
This guy thinks he's a war veteran for running a forum into the ground

wG5UKxc.jpg
So . . . predicated on a lie concocted by a bunch of opportunists? Yeah sounds about right :lollipop_wink_tongue:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I got a question for you gaffers. In era, there was this hive mind thing that everyone had to hate post processing, like motion blur, lens flare, filme grain and whatnot or else you were dogpiled to hell. Are you all like that here too? Because I really like the post.processing devs use. No motion blur in games look jarring, even in HFR to me.
There's too much variety in implementation to make a blanket statement. Like any other tool, they can be used well or used poorly. I almost always hate CA, but sometimes motion blur can be used well, like the per object motion blur in FF7R or the new Ratchet and Clank.

Longcat

I got a question for you gaffers. In era, there was this hive mind thing that everyone had to hate post processing, like motion blur, lens flare, filme grain and whatnot or else you were dogpiled to hell. Are you all like that here too? Because I really like the post.processing devs use. No motion blur in games look jarring, even in HFR to me.
I played on CRT monitors growing up and LCDs already add a shitload of motion blur. Why would I add even more in post? Per object blur can look kinda cool I guess, but if it saves frames I turn it off. CA instantly gets turned off. The rest is case by case.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

That's a weird thing for people to be collectively angry about. It's all personal preference to me, I suppose. Some people adjust them, some people turn them off, sometimes they're well done, sometimes they're not. I guess they really do complain about every little thing at Era.

Unknown?

i wonder if she realizes that actual moral people usually don't parade around talking about their charitable actions. congrats, you donated other people's money once. keep it to yourself. she's a hollow person, devoid of any self-worth or self-esteem.
They also don't go around pointing out how inferior others are calling them terrible people.

xmagxus

Neo Member
Never trust someone when they say they are laser-focused on something. That's a marketing buzz phrase spin to make people think they are working harder than they are and that they actually care about what you think even though neither is true.

Remember this lesson in the future
Laser-focused = Grifter

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

I'm going to call it now, given what we know of the mods (and other "staff", as if that even matters there...), they absolutely do not have it right on issues regarding GDPR erasure requests. None of them, those still there, consulted any lawyers or saw any legal documents. Cerium probably told a few of them that he consulted a lawyer(s), which he may have, a US-based firm trying to decide what GDPR erasure requests entail when the law was new and untested.

Now? If they think they can merely remove what they consider identifying data and be done, they're wrong. GDPR erasure requests are very clearly, with little legalese involved, explained by numerous governments but I find the UK's ICO to be the best I've read:

It's a right to be forgotten. In that one user's case, they have no need to retain his already processed data that he wanted deleted (Sakui? Whatever). They don't get to pick and choose, to say what data is personally identifiable or not, or what data a person themselves contributed gets to remain posted. I hope the new owners are reading because B-Dubs is making some really, really fucking stupid statements and assertions that he should not be making in public, because he's just some ass-kisser Cerium gave a title too and now he thinks he's a big boy and can discuss business stuff.

B-Dubs, I know you're reading: even if you were correct (you're not), you shouldn't be writing that kind of shit on a discussion forum for everyone including potential litigants to read and archive you fucking twit. These are the things that should remain between your new owners and their lawyers. Not you, guy who probably lives with mom and highest achievement on his CV is "Discussion forum moderator". You don't actually run a damned thing, and you won't be legally accountable if shit hits the fan.

Man, the audacity of that guy. Presuming to speak on behalf of MOBA as if he knows a single god damned thing.

Reallink

On mobile it's hidden behind the 3 vertical dots on the top right of the page. Look for them to the right of the "Quick Jump" dropdown. Tap it and the stats and other info will fly out from the right side of your screen.

Their activity won't meaningfully decline because the mods are still on board with the change and 95% of their users don't know or care about the sale. Being they are not allowing the controversial topics to appear outside of the unreadably large mega thread on the unused admin board, the vast majority of their users will never know about them undeleting and stealing that guys OT's, the mods/admins calling people crackers, or them vindictively deleting that guys multi-year multi thousand post "alt" account, etc... Turns out when you're built out of a forum mutiny, you have a pretty good idea how defend against it.

Last edited:
the sad thing about this is that many of them (good posters) dont realise that Gaf is still around and kicking along pretty well and they have basically wasted 4 years in a forum which was literally created from the cancer that was cut out from this site.

The amount of shit that was thrown around whenever they changed themes or functionality was excessive so im gonna laugh my ass off when they start linking their other sites at the bottom of the page
and their ads start getting rotation as many of them are Anime Tiddies type

Kev Kev

Not when they are in your house and flying at your face at 2 AM when going to see what a noise is. I armored up and tried getting him out the door or window with no success. Then the next morning you gotta go searching for them. Found one under a mop in kitchen. Put a hermit cage tank over him and had to slide it to door. Felt so bad cause thought I was suffocating him. So kept lifting the corner to give him air. He was cute. Made a make shift ramp and launched him out. Cat got one and put hole in its wing. Felt so bad but saved him as well. This was all when I was a like 12.

I’d like to thank @EviLore and this community that you exist. I feel at home again ❤️

Edit: I can’t put into words how insufferable that place is. It’s a total twilight zone. I’ll keep my account open there though. I’m waiting for the right moment to take action. Not just some account suicide for the laughs but something that actually might put them in some real trouble.
palpatine-good.jpg

Longcat

the sad thing about this is that many of them (good posters) dont realise that Gaf is still around and kicking along pretty well and they have basically wasted 4 years in a forum which was literally created from the cancer that was cut out from this site.

The amount of shit that was thrown around whenever they changed themes or functionality was excessive so im gonna laugh my ass off when they start linking their other sites at the bottom of the page
and their ads start getting rotation as many of them are Anime Tiddies type
This was me. Except I never bothered to join GAF in the first place. Was just casually lurking because I heard you needed to literally wait years for account approval. The Big Tantrum happened, and somehow they managed to rope me in with their "fair and reasonable" spiel, so I joined ERA. For some reason I'd failed to see that it was actually the crazy mods that left and formed the new site and the sane people who stayed behind. The beginning was great, but as we all know they slowly started tightening the noose. Soon you couldn't talk about anything without getting banned for "dismissing concerns", "Xphobia", "bigotry" or "trolling". ResetERA? More like WalkingOnEggshellsERA.

I think what actually made me eye-roll so violently that it rattled my brain to its senses was one of the threads about that Jessica Yaniv character, and I saw people getting banned for saying that the penis is not female genitalia. Decided to check out GAF, and hey - not only was it alive, I could even sign up with plebmail.com!

Thanks for listening to my TED Talk.

What do you have against anime tiddy you bigot

Last edited:

killatopak

How can someone dedicate so much time to post something this big in a forum is beyond me.
There are some big informative posts that have really made me learn and interested in stuff. Particularly remember Mama Robotnik thread about the Legacy of Kain series.

This though, I gave up halfway. I think I only read the bottom half that basically says they he/she/etc knows nothing about how the site works in terms of GDPR stuff.

SZips

Their activity won't meaningfully decline because the mods are still on board with the change and 95% of their users don't know or care about the sale. Being they are not allowing the controversial topics to appear outside of the unreadably large mega thread on the unused admin board, the vast majority of their users will never know about them undeleting and stealing that guys OT's, the mods/admins calling people crackers, or them vindictively deleting that guys multi-year multi thousand post "alt" account, etc... Turns out when you're built out of a forum mutiny, you have a pretty good idea how defend against it.
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I think you quoted the wrong person? I was just saying how someone could view the stats on mobile, lol.

But, I will say this: Era seems to have been bleeding itself dry of active users for a while now. Looking at traffic/unique visitors/Alex rank estimates for the site, it's all fallen off a cliff in the past couple of years.

This specific event may cause a slightly bigger dip than normal. Of course, the people that leave or are banned aren't the types of people the mods there want sticking around anyway. They're too hard to control what with their critical thinking and all.

Also, even though the news is being contained in that one thread, I've no doubt that more eyes than normal have seen that thread purely because this acquisition news has made the rounds on the net, and may make the rounds a second time when the final payment is dished out in December. Plus I'm sure people will take notice of the new footer that MOBA will undoubtedly shove at the bottom of every Era page, which will again bring people's attention to this. There will always be plenty of yes-men and sycophants to cravenly slobber all over the mods' boots, but I still believe this has and will continue to have a negative impact on them for a bit longer.

Also, according to Era's own Forums statistics, they haven't had a new member added since mid-afternoon on Sunday. I'm guessing approval is a manual process (I can't remember if they did that or still do that), but it seems odd that nobody new was added today. Not sure what the mods are doing besides fucking about, projecting, and deflecting in that one thread.

nush

49YAIY2.png

captainraincoat captainraincoat Do you have the screenshot of where there Alexa ranking shot up in a vertical line with no associated to external activity or forum drama? Late June 2020 time period. It was sus at the time, now looking more sus with the sale like it was used to inflate the value of the forum.

Cyberpunkd

Choo-choo - wrong. GDPR doesn’t apply to members in the EU, it applies to EU citizens no matter where they are located:

The European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation is peculiar in the fact that it applies to organizations that may have little to do with the EU. For example, you may be a US web development company based in Denver, Colorado, selling websites mainly to Colorado businesses. But if you track and analyze EU visitors to your company’s website, then you may be subject to the provisions of the GDPR.
Someone link that to them, they need to find a better lawyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom