• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[NEXT LEVEL lames™] ResetEra sold to M.O.B.A. Network for USD$4.55 million

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
ZgNJUui.png

TL;DR: It was too long, so I didn't read it either.
Not a terrible write up by that mod who came out of nowhere. BUT, his final two sections are cringeworthy. One is about the White guy issue lately, and another about Resetera's mods vs. other gaming site mods. The rest of his views are ok, and not the typical Bdub, KJack or Nepenthe ape shit gone wild responses at gamers. At least this guy wrote it out in clear sections.

To sum up:

- I signed up as a mod, enjoy it and can leave whenever I want
- It's a hard job with lots of background work gamers dont see
- Is fine not being paid, but wouldn't say no to being paid or getting a bonus. Doesn't want the forum to see them as paid as it'd lead to "they are profiting off the community". Doesn't want people bringing up mods being paid
- But if there is pay, it should be between each mod and the new owner
- Assumes being paid as a mod leads to more stringent work expectations, where working for free means more flexibility (funny he said that since he keeps bringing up being overworked like the US Elections almost broke the team)
- Claims there were better offers than MOBA, but Cerium chose MOBA because they are a more hands-off owner
- Disappointed in what's happened vs. 2017, and will leave if new management stinks or the direction of the site changes
- Site privacy and Other Affiliate data usage is based on CDPR guidelines. If he doesn't like what he see's he's leaving
- Not liking it if a MOBA rep is part of mod team (I can't tell if he's saying that as fact a MOBA guy is coming or just a concern)
- All mods have different temperaments, and admits mods can be shitty back sometimes. And gamers focus on their worst of times
- Brings up in a giant paragraph the whole "anti-White" debacle lately. Says White people can have issues too, but downplays their issues compared to minorities because it's a White world after all with White privilege
- Has some feelings for people who leave for other websites, but then says he wishes the mod teams there are as welcoming as Resetera's team, and if other site mods are as good or better than Resetera's the net would be a better place

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

GAF these days reminds me of peak GAF from the PS2 era

Lots of opinions and personalities, no political bullshit (which cutting that out was a master stroke) and a little bit of console banter but nothing too toxic
ERA: Bringing GAF together since 2017.

I got a question for you gaffers. In era, there was this hive mind thing that everyone had to hate post processing, like motion blur, lens flare, filme grain and whatnot or else you were dogpiled to hell. Are you all like that here too? Because I really like the post.processing devs use. No motion blur in games look jarring, even in HFR to me.
I read these forums and sometimes I get the impression I'm the only person on the planet that likes chromatic aberration.

nush

Gold Member
Hey Tyler it's MrS, just borrowing my friend's account real quick (but you can delete it, he doesn't care). Firstly, cute thing you did there with the ban message. Secondly, just for clarification are you seriously okay with the way NeoGaf is right now? There will be an Homeless Resetera Cope Community | OT thread by the end of the year (if there isn't one already). Is the site's moral grotesqueity supposed to be your revenge against the off-brand Zoe Quinn who scorned you? Good grief. No offense but be honest, if you heard of someone else doing that, wouldn't you think that it's the most pathetic and predicatble thing ever?

As a fellow human being, if you're not seeing a therapist already, I urge you to consider it.

Hey Tyler it's MrS, just borrowing my friend's account real quick (but you can delete it, he doesn't care). Firstly, cute thing you did there with the ban message. Secondly, just for clarification are you seriously okay with the way NeoGaf is right now? There will be an Homeless Resetera Cope Community | OT thread by the end of the year (if there isn't one already). Is the site's moral grotesqueity supposed to be your revenge against the off-brand Zoe Quinn who scorned you? Good grief. No offense but be honest, if you heard of someone else doing that, wouldn't you think that it's the most pathetic and predicatble thing ever?

As a fellow human being, if you're not seeing a therapist already, I urge you to consider it.
Isn’t all of era already a homeless cope community?

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler

NEXT LEVEL crackery

What happened with the annoying mod with yellow fever, Slayven? Did they demand compensation, donations or play up their blackness at this convenient moment?

ethomaz

Banned

You seems to have some issues lol
Did you smoke something not made for humans?

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Reading Era posts makes me feel like I'm reading amateur fantasy fan fiction created for teenagers.
There's a plus side to all of this.

If there's any gaffers out there who are secret execs working at giant ass companies, get hold of the Reeee mods. They'll do whatever you want for free. Doesn't matter how much work they do or if the CEO walks out with millions. They'll tow he company line. If your company or industry has big communities (who knows.... maybe there's a big hidden community for SAP users where there's a lot of enterprise money being tossed around), it makes no difference if the companies involved make billions in profit.

Just reinforce their egos modding a board having to do with people chatting accurate financials and supply chain execution is a noble cause for society and they'll sign up.

They wont even work for peanuts. Even literal tin can of mixed nuts. They'll work for $0.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA

Mrs takes the "what is dead may never die" to the next level.

Also, "my friend doesnt care" while having gold killed me.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Rover, Fed, Private Hudson and the guy with the Ace Ventura ass avatar keeping Reeee mods busy all day. Love it.

As long as you dont go overboard slinging insults, Reeee cant ban people in that thread as it'll look bad. And they cant lock the thread either as they want people to now whats going on.

So you can keep mods busy circling the same topics over and over again.

Last edited:

NikuNashi

ZgNJUui.png

This is the second Moderator from there that I have seen be openly and proudly discriminatory to a certain type of people based on their skin color (white). Is there a culture of racism over there? Although she has slightly more awareness than the other one and at least part acknowledges that it is wrong but wont stop it.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This is the second Moderator from there that I have seen be openly and proudly discriminatory to a certain type of people based on their skin color (white). Is there a culture of racism over there? Although she has slightly more awareness than the other one and at least part acknowledges that it is wrong but wont stop it.
More than two.

Recently, the whole issue got brought up by Morrigan (an ex-mod!), then supported by Kjack, Nepenthe, Bdubs and now this mods I've never heard of called Snormy. There might have been others too. Not sure if that Royalan mod chimed in on the topic.

The site has a very left leaning anti-White and anti-corporate view on life. Many of their mods arent White either, so it gives them a power trip to say anti-White things, but then say "Well, I'm a Black person, and whatever White insults you get arent as bad as what I get, so it cant be that bad" kind of response.

One of them even pulled the "but my White friend doesnt think it's an issue".

They cant really do anything about it either because if they crack down on their mods saying dumb shit it'll look bad on their mod team, and casting away a bad minority mod will make it look like the White guy won.

So they have no choice but to all stick together.

I have never seen one mod criticize another mod for saying something stupid. Not once ever.

Last edited:

Aenima

Yes there is. Is nothing new. If you are a straigh white male, you are pretty much human trash to alot of members there.

Last year i witnessed a big amount of hostility and racist comments towards white ppl. No one was punished for posting those.

I started adding those kind of ppl to my ignore list, ended up with around 70 users on my list.

Now i dont even bother visiting that place.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
He repeats like 5 times he’s ok not being paid… 🤔
You can tell the mods are pissed because on one hand they say it's ok to be a virtuous zero paid mod the whole time there, but then some will say..... but if I got paid or Cerium gave me some cash I'd take it.

So if money was offered up front years back, or as a back end bonus pay out, suddenly being an ethical moderator without financial bias gets thrown out the window.

Who cares. Just admit you wouldn't mind being a paid mod after seeing Cerium bag the whole shebang. Especially worse since Reee has a very anti-CEO vibe to it. If there's any site you'd think the mods would want a piece of the action it would be them, as opposed to letting the CEO run away with everything.

For a site where users and mods claim nobody should work for dirt cheap and business owners can afford to pay more than $8.25/hr, youd think they would be on a witchhunt for Cerium.

Last edited:

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Yes there is. Is nothing new. If you are a straigh white male, you are pretty much human trash to alot of members there.

Last year i witnessed a big amount of hostility and racist comments towards white ppl. No one was punished for posting those.

I started adding those kind of ppl to my ignore list, ended up with around 70 users on my list.

Now i dont even bother visiting that place.
Actually it surprises me that a forum so openly and publicly racist, constantly promoting hate speech, can manage to stay open so easily and for so long without incurring in some form of legal ban or censorship.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Rover, Fed, Private Hudson and the guy with the Ace Ventura ass avatar keeping Reeee mods busy all day. Love it.

As long as you dont go overboard slinging insults, Reeee cant ban people in that thread as it'll look bad. And they cant lock the thread either as they want people to now whats going on.

So you can keep mods busy circling the same topics over and over again.
Like buzzards over a corpse.

What the hell did I just read

You can tell the mods are pissed because on one hand they say it's ok to be a virtuous zero paid mod the whole time there, but then some will say..... but if I got paid or Cerium gave me some cash I'd take it.

So if money was offered up front years back, or as a back end bonus pay out, suddenly being an ethical moderator without financial bias gets thrown out the window.

Who cares. Just admit you wouldn't mind being a paid mod after seeing Cerium bag the whole shebang. Especially worse since Reee has a very anti-CEO vibe to it. If there's any site you'd think the mods would want a piece of the action it would be them, as opposed to letting the CEO run away with everything.

For a site where users and mods claim nobody should work for dirt cheap and business owners can afford to pay more than $8.25/hr, youd think they would be on a witchhunt for Cerium.
Part of me feels like they are getting paid under the table by Cerium because that whole site is so anti-capitalism and pro-worker I find it hard to believe they are ok with him taking the bag and running. Or it could just be they want to keep up appearances and not create a massive witch hunt/panic on the person who owns them.

cormack12

Gold Member
Damn - MrS got sniped? Am disappoint with that. Seemed a good dude otherwise.

ZgNJUui.png

johnny-johnny5.gif

Honestly, this is excatly what happens when you want to take over and shape what opinions people can have rather than just be a moderator of a discussion board. Imagine how insular era is for a minute then realise they can't even have like a devils advocate question without being mass reported. And why the fuck are they reading Britannica's. Whole thing stinks - they aren't there to moderate on whether someone is right or wrong so they don't need to research shit. People are wrong all the time.

As for all the other shit it sounds like affiliate links to be honest. Mobafire is linked to Venatus, which has been propped up by a private equity firm as well

Europe’s leading entertainment ad sales house, Venatus Media are strengthening their team, welcoming ten new members.

Reporting a 50% increase in year on year revenue, Venatus who are best known for their successful track record in gaming, are experiencing their fastest level of growth since opening their doors eight years ago. Founded in 2010, Venatus Media exclusively represent the direct and programmatic ad sales for publishers such as EA, Mobafire and Rovio.

Venatus provides ad tech to publishers in the games space – both developers and website owners – and delivers creative campaigns for brands aiming to reach a gaming audience, such as Unilever, Hasbro, Intel and the BBC.

Other work has included a mobile video campaign for Public Health England in January and February this year, which aimed to reach young audiences to raise awareness of the mental health resources available through PHE's Every Mind Matters website. Venatus worked alongside OmniGov on this campaign, in which videos were served as rewards in mobile games that resonated with young audiences.

Venatus has also created mini-game ad formats for clients including Nintendo – to promote an expansion pass for Nintendo Switch game Pokémon Sword and Shield – and Sky Cinema, to promote the film Four Kids and It.

While the majority of Venatus’s sales are programmatic, Gay said 40% were direct – a factor he thinks will pay dividends as the privacy landscape changes, with Apple having introduced app tracking transparency on iOS earlier this year, and cookies set to disappear from Google’s Chrome browser by 2023. These developments will make context-based advertising more significant, he agreed.

“I do believe in the potential [in contextual advertising] and we've seen it in the last 12 months, and certainly going forward,” he said. “The fact that we are looking to actually know where you [advertisers] are going, your brand’s safe, it’s a walled garden if you like – that's going to make a big difference to advertisers going forward.

The site will look like fucking newgrounds within the year. I reckon eraclear might be replaced by some form of ad free digital lootbox code redeem programme, while the site will lean into ad games etc. and pushing markets to influencers and skimming off that. Probably will also get some sort of 5% discount from EA, Ubi games if you sign up, probably see tiered memberships. Sad day, I've been on gaf years and besides a little banner at the top (even on vb) there hasn't been anything as intrusive as what's going on over there.

How the fuck can IP logs be "anonymized"? If you have my IP that's a piece of data that can be directly tied to my person if someone really wanted to do do.

Maybe he's saying the IPs are hashed in a non-reversible way, which, hm, I guess would probably be ok if done right.
You can also just turn the last 3 digits of an IP into 0. Google does this for example.

Marty-McFly

Banned
PSA: There's already 2 forums that have splintered off from REE... a Nintendo forum (because they got treated like shit once Sony employees starting posting at REE and Cerium left them for dead), and a forum devoted to sales discussion.

They should all just come crawling back here with their tales between their legs because we cover everything related to games.

Last edited:

Star-Lord

210089.gif

The hell was that?

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
How does Moba not realize how high the likelihood is of their userbase leaving en masse in tears?

What a terrible investment :messenger_tears_of_joy: Somebody at Moba never did their research.
I honestly think they might have run the numbers and saw that as always 90% of the outrage is a product of 1% of all the users. These are people posting over and over in these treads. They probably hope the troublemakers leave and the rest can carry on as normal discussing videogames and seeing and clicking on ads.

Marty-McFly

Banned
I honestly think they might have run the numbers and saw that as always 90% of the outrage is a product of 1% of all the users. These are people posting over and over in these treads. They probably hope the troublemakers leave and the rest can carry on as normal discussing videogames and seeing and clicking on ads.
eh... I got the count wrong in my last post. There are now 4 splinter forums from Era.

Era is a piece of shit forum, straight up. A boring, heavily policed gaming side stained by political wokeness and an absolutely disgusting off topic board with the worst moderation of all time.

Moba better tread very lightly because these Nancies get their panties in a twist very easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom