• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[NEXT LEVEL lames™] ResetEra sold to M.O.B.A. Network for USD$4.55 million

Status
Not open for further replies.

Star-Lord

And it's not like this place is good either, with all its right-wingers, antivaxxers and fearmongers. I've lost count on how many times I've seen China mentioned as a big baddy as if the United States isn't the bane of the civilized world. For some reason talking politics is forbidden as long as you don't question ultranationalist propaganda.
You’re right, this place isn’t good, it’s great. Seriously, this is one of the most level-headed communities I’ve been a part of. Others may not necessarily agree with your opinion, but they don ban you for having it, unlike that cesspool they call a forum. This forum has had its problems, sure, but that’s not unusual, and the important part is that we, as a community, worked through the bad times and focused on the good. If you don’t like it, of course, you know where the door is.

GHG

Gold Member
huCFCIK.png

They?

Him and the cash he's kidnapping.

Salz01

Cerium is actually one of the greatest modern con artists we have ever seen.

• Saw the slowly growing discontent that had been manifesting at GAF for years.
  • Orchestrated the EviLore incident to rile up the entire community which was "the last straw" for many.
  • Immediately has an entire, working forum ready to go to migrate as many GAF users as possible.
  • ResetERA was planned and in the works for days, if not weeks before the migration.
  • Already has THOUSANDS of accounts ready to instantly start his forum as well as mods to run it. The ad money commences...
  • Brand it as a new beginning with a less strict approach to moderation which was kept for a few months then slowly devolved over time to even stricter moderation and echo chambers.
  • Basically do nothing as your mod team runs the site and your stolen community provides all the content.
  • Make absolute bank (4.5 million fucking dollars) selling to whoever the fuck is buying highest, drop an announcement at 2AM EST, then disappear never to be heard from again.
Like, I almost have to respect this level of hustle.
This post should be tied to the OP, it’s pretty much spot on.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Everyone here and over there laughing at the mods. And rightfully so.

Interested to know whether those same people are the same geniuses fighting each other for an OT OP sign up list, vying to spend hours creating free content for a for profit website.

I’m happy just posting my five sentence hot takes.

Jack Uzi

Banned
That's astro for you, one of the biggest cunt over there...

One times he asked for apologies to a guy who friendly called bruh during a discussion because he doesn't identify as bruh...you can't made this shit up.
Fighting Game Community thread, dude got banned for misgendering and other such shit. That place is a rodeo.

ethomaz

Banned
Cerium is actually one of the greatest modern con artists we have ever seen.

• Saw the slowly growing discontent that had been manifesting at GAF for years.
  • Orchestrated the EviLore incident to rile up the entire community which was "the last straw" for many.
  • Immediately has an entire, working forum ready to go to migrate as many GAF users as possible.
  • ResetERA was planned and in the works for days, if not weeks before the migration.
  • Already has THOUSANDS of accounts ready to instantly start his forum as well as mods to run it. The ad money commences...
  • Brand it as a new beginning with a less strict approach to moderation which was kept for a few months then slowly devolved over time to even stricter moderation and echo chambers.
  • Basically do nothing as your mod team runs the site and your stolen community provides all the content.
  • Make absolute bank (4.5 million fucking dollars) selling to whoever the fuck is buying highest, drop an announcement at 2AM EST, then disappear never to be heard from again.
Like, I almost have to respect this level of hustle.
Basically this.
It was planned.
He was successful in use all the community to make money with little to no effort.

Salz01

Everyone here and over there laughing at the mods. And rightfully so.

Interested to know whether those same people are the same geniuses fighting each other for an OT OP sign up list, vying to spend hours creating free content for a for profit website.

I’m happy just posting my five sentence hot takes.
I forget about this. The fight to create OTs about reviews, games releases etc. All work that nobody gets paid for and companies love it.

ethomaz

Banned
This place was fucking horrible. Basically moderators were power tripping cunts who banned anyone for any 'created' microaggression that was flavour of the month. Don't want to be mature and enlightened enough to acknowledge a guy with a cock and a moustache is a woman? Enjoy your hate filled opinions elsewhere and along come 40+ members agreeing the poster should be banned, gloating in the circle jerk. Banned. Commence the witch hunt. Anyone slightly agree with that persons different perspective? Banned. "Probably a Trump supporter"
That was the condoned and promoted norm here. This wasn't school kids, this was the operation and reputation of the place, all was fine until heaps of lunatics left to ResetEra.

I'll get banned but it is what it is.
EvilOre was a complete cunt too. He just got screwed by the woke tactics he agreed was fine on here for years until it was pointed his direction. Suddenly witch hunts aren't ok. Then tries to do the right thing and go over the wrong-think bans years later. lolz
Revisionist story?

BTW these mods that you hated were the former ERA’s mods.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
-55K users in 4 years, 40K of which are from Neogaf in the first 8 months,
-20K bans, almost 1/3 banned inside the community,
-Subcommunities like PCEra, XBOX and others gone for good,
-failed multiple times to handle crisis qith black community and trans community
- overwhelming competition with reddit and discord,
-deep dive in alexa traffic in the past two years.

"We are very excited and proud to welcome ResetEra.com - one of the world's largest gaming forum and community brands - to our growing number of brands," said Björn Mannerqvist, CEO of M.O.B.A. Network. "ResetEra.com has great growth potential, and we see significant opportunities to develop ResetEra.com, continue to grow traffic flows, improve the sales development and extract synergies within the M.O.B.A. Group."

jennifer-lawrence-thumbs-up.gif

*Nightwing

A site born out of #metoo claiming it was part of a movement for its members than a traditional website…

…just the type of foundation with little court precedent that if said founding members wished to tie up the site owner in an avalanche of lawsuits for the next 5 years that would siphon away that $4.55 million windfall in lawyers fees from him.

that would certainly be an ironic ending to the idiotic tale of ree

MiguelItUp

Can't say that I was expecting to see this "news" this morning. I can't imagine what it would feel like to be a "dedicated mod" there and then you wake up to this, lol.

You’re right, this place isn’t good, it’s great. Seriously, this is one of the most level-headed communities I’ve been a part of. Others may not necessarily agree with your opinion, but they don ban you for having it, unlike that cesspool they call a forum. This forum has had its problems, sure, but that’s not unusual, and the important part is that we, as a community, worked through the bad times and focused on the good. If you don’t like it, of course, you know where the door is.
I agree with this. There are a number of people outside of GAF that are quick to label it as one thing, when in reality it's made up of many labels. Unfortunately, some just like to knee jerk it seems.

I don't think a new internet forum is going to come up, not in 2021. This isn't 2005 anymore and discourse on its whole has changed. People who actually care about gaming have moved on into developing their own games, creating content on YouTube and simply talking among themselves on Twitter.

And it's not like this place is good either, with all its right-wingers, antivaxxers and fearmongers. I've lost count on how many times I've seen China mentioned as a big baddy as if the United States isn't the bane of the civilized world. For some reason talking politics is forbidden as long as you don't question ultranationalist propaganda.

The thing, after a few many years going to these places and seeing them all the same, you realize none of these places are meant for anything productive other than shooting the shit. So that will be.
The older you get, you realize that in the real world people have different views and opinions. Those people can be some of the most amazing people you've ever met, even if you don't agree with their politics, religion, etc. Lord knows I personally know quite a few. But to say this place is "all" that, is absurd. I mean, in any situation it's pretty ridiculous to just blanket an entire community.

It's a forum. A community where people share the same interest(s) and converse. Sometimes people make friends, significant others, etc. It can be as "productive" as you want and allow it to be. But that's entirely up to you, how you treat it, and how you handle it. I was very involved with the Destructoid community in the early to mid/late 2000's and I met some of the nicest and best people I've ever met in that time. Relationships I still have to this day. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Chiggs

-55K users in 4 years, 40K of which are from Neogaf in the first 8 months,
-20K bans, almost 1/3 banned inside the community,
-Subcommunities like PCEra, XBOX and others gone for good,
-failed multiple times to handle crisis qith black community and trans community
- overwhelming competition with reddit and discord,
-deep dive in alexa traffic in the past two years.

jennifer-lawrence-thumbs-up.gif

It's so abundantly clear that the site is slowly dying. What were the Swedes thinking?!

Swift_Star

Banned
This place was fucking horrible. Basically moderators were power tripping cunts who banned anyone for any 'created' microaggression that was flavour of the month. Don't want to be mature and enlightened enough to acknowledge a guy with a cock and a moustache is a woman? Enjoy your hate filled opinions elsewhere and along come 40+ members agreeing the poster should be banned, gloating in the circle jerk. Banned. Commence the witch hunt. Anyone slightly agree with that persons different perspective? Banned. "Probably a Trump supporter"
That was the condoned and promoted norm here. This wasn't school kids, this was the operation and reputation of the place, all was fine until heaps of lunatics left to ResetEra.

I'll get banned but it is what it is.
EvilOre was a complete cunt too. He just got screwed by the woke tactics he agreed was fine on here for years until it was pointed his direction. Suddenly witch hunts aren't ok. Then tries to do the right thing and go over the wrong-think bans years later. lolz
What a meltdown lol

Nickolaidas

Banned
You'll have to wait for the 3080 Super Duper

There probably won't be any ray-tracing in it, just super modern version of dynamic global illumination so...maybe?
Yeah, I need to have a 3080 by the end of next year ...
Looks like some people are already risking a ban by speaking their minds, now that the glass castle has shuttered ... from inside the throne room, no less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom