• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[NEXT LEVEL lames™] ResetEra sold to M.O.B.A. Network for USD$4.55 million

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullet Club

I understand if you want to lock this thread, mods/Evilore.

It's interesting news though.

M.O.B.A. Network acquires ResetEra.com - one of the world's largest gaming forums​

M.O.B.A. Network has today acquired ResetEra.com, one of the world's largest gaming forum and community brands, which has great growth potential. With the acquisition, M.O.B.A. Network's portfolio expands its reach globally with approximately 60 million page views per month.

ResetEra.com was founded in 2017 and has grown rapidly with a committed audience. Sales in the last twelve months (up to and including 31 August) amounted to approximately USD 700,000 with an EBITDA margin of approximately 80%. The purchase price amounts to USD 4.55 million and will be paid in cash in two tranches, where USD 3.55 million has been paid upon closing, and USD 1 million will be paid by 31 December 2021.

ResetEra.com's revenue is generated through ads and member subscriptions. M.O.B.A. Network sees significant opportunities to increase advertising revenue through a higher share of direct sales, implementation of new ad formats, and a long-term product development strategy. M.O.B.A. Network, therefore, estimates that ResetEra.com can grow sales significantly in 2022 while maintaining an EBITDA margin.

With ResetEra.com, M.O.B.A. Network gets a strong, global community brand and access to a very active discussion forum with over 45 million forum posts and about 55,000 members. The discussion topics on ResetEra.com are broad and cover all kinds of games and platforms such as consoles, PC, and mobile games, which expands the M.O.B.A. Network's position in the gaming industry. ResetEra.com's core values are "inclusivity and diversity," and the community sets high demands for approving membership. The core values and the high membership requirements are also essential to M.O.B.A. Network.

The operational team that runs ResetEra will continue to moderate and engage with the community and work with M.O.B.A. Network on future product development.

"We are very excited and proud to welcome ResetEra.com - one of the world's largest gaming forum and community brands - to our growing number of brands," said Björn Mannerqvist, CEO of M.O.B.A. Network. "ResetEra.com has great growth potential, and we see significant opportunities to develop ResetEra.com, continue to grow traffic flows, improve the sales development and extract synergies within the M.O.B.A. Group."

"ResetEra.com is another step in our strategy to grow through acquisitions and create more relevant communities with attractive, growing target groups that many companies want to expose themselves to," said Björn Mannerqvist.

Source: cision

s60orek.png

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I am just here to appreciate the fact that EviLore EviLore could have gotten this money (or more) years ago yet chose not to- to keep GAF what it was/is. What a legend!
On the other hand resetera people seem to have gotten rich by kinda usurping what he built, or at least that's how it seems to me a little.

Last edited:

BizzyBum

Cerium is actually one of the greatest modern con artists we have ever seen.

• Saw the slowly growing discontent that had been manifesting at GAF for years.
  • Orchestrated the EviLore incident to rile up the entire community which was "the last straw" for many.
  • Immediately has an entire, working forum ready to go to migrate as many GAF users as possible.
  • ResetERA was planned and in the works for days, if not weeks before the migration.
  • Already has THOUSANDS of accounts ready to instantly start his forum as well as mods to run it. The ad money commences...
  • Brand it as a new beginning with a less strict approach to moderation which was kept for a few months then slowly devolved over time to even stricter moderation and echo chambers.
  • Basically do nothing as your mod team runs the site and your stolen community provides all the content.
  • Make absolute bank (4.5 million fucking dollars) selling to whoever the fuck is buying highest, drop an announcement at 2AM EST, then disappear never to be heard from again.
Like, I almost have to respect this level of hustle.

Gifmaker

What fiasco?
Mods over there managed to nuke Media Create Sales threads - a tradition going on for about 15 years - by pissing off Chris and other members with, what else, unwarranted bans.

Here's the readers' digest version: https://mobile.twitter.com/i/events/1444796077677465605

It's an epic read that gets more juicy with every new twist. I love when someone was brave enough to call out the mods on their shit and produced evidence of their bad faith arguments via screenshots of Discord messages.
In the light of these events, Morrigan resigned as a mod, too.

RAÏSanÏa

Almost want to try to submit a mod ticket to them to provide some of my thoughts to the mod team since they all get to read it with their system and it doesn't appear to need registratiion.

Leopold

Hope this is the beginning of the end. After I was banned saying that I wanted to play with the Xbox controller inside an Israeli tank, and having to argue that it is absolutely insane to say that Neil Druckmann is inserting his politics on Israel/Palestine in TLOU2, I really hope that Resetera crash and burns.

RAÏSanÏa

The new owners sound openly business and if they're going to sell it in the future they aren't going to care to shop around for the best fit when there is best dollars to be had.

Cerium is actually one of the greatest modern con artists we have ever seen.

• Saw the slowly growing discontent that had been manifesting at GAF for years.
  • Orchestrated the EviLore incident to rile up the entire community which was "the last straw" for many.
  • Immediately has an entire, working forum ready to go to migrate as many GAF users as possible.
  • ResetERA was planned and in the works for days, if not weeks before the migration.
  • Already has THOUSANDS of accounts ready to instantly start his forum as well as mods to run it. The ad money commences...
  • Brand it as a new beginning with a less strict approach to moderation which was kept for a few months then slowly devolved over time to even stricter moderation and echo chambers.
  • Basically do nothing as your mod team runs the site and your stolen community provides all the content.
  • Make absolute bank (4.5 million fucking dollars) selling to whoever the fuck is buying highest, drop an announcement at 2AM EST, then disappear never to be heard from again.
Like, I almost have to respect this level of hustle.
This exactly. Regardless of what happened, the sheer professionalism of the takeover has to be respected. It was, even back then, so amazingly obvious that the new site was done for the sake of money and not due to some glorious higher purpose. The preparedness of it all, and how it seemed to be forgotten under the guise of being "saved" was interesting to say the least. Many users may have moved for various reasons, but many just got swept away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom