• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[NEXT LEVEL lames™] ResetEra sold to M.O.B.A. Network for USD$4.55 million

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrick S.

Banned
That is indeed a nice sum of money. I wouldn't blame EviLore if he sold this site. I think forum values will go down over time, rather than up. None of the younger people I know browse forums, they're all on Reddit.

Guilty_AI

huCFCIK.png

They?
Millionaire checks are definitely good for the health

Cerium is actually one of the greatest modern con artists we have ever seen.

• Saw the slowly growing discontent that had been manifesting at GAF for years.
  • Orchestrated the EviLore incident to rile up the entire community which was "the last straw" for many.
  • Immediately has an entire, working forum ready to go to migrate as many GAF users as possible.
  • ResetERA was planned and in the works for days, if not weeks before the migration.
  • Already has THOUSANDS of accounts ready to instantly start his forum as well as mods to run it. The ad money commences...
  • Brand it as a new beginning with a less strict approach to moderation which was kept for a few months then slowly devolved over time to even stricter moderation and echo chambers.
  • Basically do nothing as your mod team runs the site and your stolen community provides all the content.
  • Make absolute bank (4.5 million fucking dollars) selling to whoever the fuck is buying highest, drop an announcement at 2AM EST, then disappear never to be heard from again.
Like, I almost have to respect this level of hustle.
Well incedent was caused by EviLore but considering they had it ready over night it was just convenient timing for them and they would find other reason if this one wasn't handed to them on silver platter.

Fitting ending for a site that legitimately had (some) well-meaning founders with great values, but slowly went towards an inevitable end. In the span of a few years, many of their big communities like BlackEra, AsianEra, TransEra, PCEra, XboxEra, PoliEra, PopEra, NintendoEra, SalesEra, etc. pretty much completely migrated towards Discord or even separate forums, all because the mods were too busy protecting their own shitty takes and VIP trolls. Now others are leaving. GG to Cerium who bought out all other shareholders at presumably much lower numbers before and managed to walk out with a huge payment. I'm not even kidding, that was a well constructed business move. The looks on the faces of folks like Nepenthe and Transistor after not getting any say in this, not getting any money, and getting to manage the shitshow that will follow after this owner change, and owner that makes mad money off Riot and Blizzard that Era's community despises.

Lmao. There's a lot to say about pre-2017 NeoGaf, about Evilore, about what happened at the split and so on. But at the end of the day, it's NeoGaf that stands and is still privately owned, while the progressive community-based forum is now owned by a MOBA/MMO website conglomerate.

LimanimaPT

I am just here to appreciate the fact that @EviLore could have gotten this money (or more) years ago yet chose not to- to keep GAF what it was/is. What a legend!
On the other hand resetera people seem to have gotten rich by kinda usurping what he built, or at least that's how it seems to me a little.
Legend? What a mistake that was...

ZehDon

I'll be completely honest: I fully respect the hustle in this instance; users and buyers got played liked a fiddle. ResetEra has no growth potential in its current form; change will be necessary to make it more open, destroying the by-design clique that was carefully crafted by its users. They add as many as they ban, and the status quo won't last more than a handful of profit maximisation strategy meetings.

Looking over the details, four years is a long con, but at a million a year plus the annual income already generated, it's more than paid off: the owner is now looking at potential retirement money. And for what? Taking a pre-existing community and fronting server costs until the ad revenue kicked in? And there are users utterly deluded into believing they'll be donating that money to their causes? Bravo, I say - a play for text books.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
That’s what I meant? Where from them being opposites did u not understand? I even in previous post said you won’t be banned here for having an opinion?
The expression "polar opposite" implies they're just as bad but specular in their opinions. Like - there are lefties there and only fascists here.

Haggard

Banned
Wait who in their right mind pays that kind of money for such a small board? That´s ~80 bucks per user wtf?

The thoughts of eyeball_kid on resetera.

"But. What should have happened was Cerium allowing the community to own and run the site collectively. Probably still could have turned a good profit, and done right by the community. And honestly that's what should have been done to begin with if it was to truly be a "reset", instead of just another dude getting rich off the backs of the value the community and mods were creating. At the very least this kind of decision should have been discussed with the community first. The way this was handled reminds me of the slashdot sale back in the day."

Yeah, right. As if you'd turn down 4.5 million to do right by the community.

The thoughts of eyeball_kid on resetera.

"But. What should have happened was Cerium allowing the community to own and run the site collectively. Probably still could have turned a good profit, and done right by the community. And honestly that's what should have been done to begin with if it was to truly be a "reset", instead of just another dude getting rich off the backs of the value the community and mods were creating. At the very least this kind of decision should have been discussed with the community first. The way this was handled reminds me of the slashdot sale back in the day."

Yeah, right. As if you'd turn down 4.5 million to do right by the community.
I'm guessing "eyeball_kid" has been dealt with by now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom