• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[NEXT LEVEL lames™] ResetEra sold to M.O.B.A. Network for USD$4.55 million

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calverz

Lots of people here criticizing unpaid mods of era but are WE paying our own mods?

I mean I kinda get moderating that site to be multiples of times worse of than gaf but isn’t moderation of these forum sites traditionally been voluntary?
I always assumed it was voluntary too. Maybe that changes depending on how active a forum is etc.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Reeeeee right now:

lider-simpsons.gif

happy homer simpson GIF

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Lots of people here criticizing unpaid mods of era but are WE paying our own mods?

I mean I kinda get moderating that site to be multiples of times worse of than gaf but isn’t moderation of these forum sites traditionally been voluntary?

I don’t see mods here acting as if what they’re doing is akin to being crucified for the greater good of the marginalized.

DarkestHour

Banned
Congratulations to them. Outside of the Nazi-like moderation if someone deviates from their hive mind thought process, I really think the site is well run with many quality members. Will the members that actually make the content get a cut or just the people that stole the content? Just curious.

On the bright side, maybe getting sold will fix the site so that people no longer get banned instantly because someone disagrees with them.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
The whole point of having a site like this was its independence as well, and one of the major reasons EL didn't sell GAF.

Either way, proof that the biggest threat to all these 'communities' and 'protected gender' people are the people who try to be their friends. Whether it's corporations sticking flags on things, people spouting off on twitter or just setting up a forum, they are using these communities for financial gain or reputational growth. Pretty soon, I hope they come back round and see we all have the same enemies despite what any of us believe. Because time and again, they are being made fools of.

MaulerX

Well that was one hell of an opportunistic venture.

The mass exodus that happened here. Like some sort of righteous uprising. That place was created and people thought they became a part of a sanctuary free of corporate evils.

They all got played. $$$ drives everything and they were just pawns to put a couple million in somebody's pocket.

ManaByte

Companies like this just buy sites for the URL and traffic. Saying it’s for the community is just PR drivel.

I do have to wonder though. After John Gruden lost $70M over homophobic emails he sent 10 years ago, did Cerium have to disclose his own homophobic past to MOBA Network before getting $4M? If not, it’d be a real crying shame if MOBA Network stumbled on the court records that prove they just paid a raging homophobe $4M.

Last edited:

DarkestHour

Banned
Companies like this just buy sites for the URL and traffic. Saying it’s for the community is just PR drivel.

I do have to wonder though. After John Gruden lost $70M over homophobic emails he sent 10 years ago, did Cerium have to disclose his own honophobic past to MOBA Network before getting $4M? If not, it’d be a real crying shame if MOBA Network stumbled on the court records that prove they just paid a raging homophobe $4M.

That can't be true otherwise ResetERA would ban him.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Anyways the new owners are in for a surprise if they plan on monetizing the site beyond regular ads and memberships.

As soon as the first promoted/paid OT pops up I can see mass exodus.
I was just thinking that.. they just threw away a few million dollars.

they will definitely try to monetize it more. If they are smart they will just sell the data to idiot consultants.

I do have to wonder though. After John Gruden lost $70M over homophobic emails he sent 10 years ago, did Cerium have to disclose his own homophobic past to MOBA Network before getting $4M? If not, it’d be a real crying shame if MOBA Network stumbled on the court records that prove they just paid a raging homophobe $4M.
What are you talking about?

Jack Uzi

Banned
Mods over there managed to nuke Media Create Sales threads - a tradition going on for about 15 years - by pissing off Chris and other members with, what else, unwarranted bans.

Here's the readers' digest version: https://mobile.twitter.com/i/events/1444796077677465605

It's an epic read that gets more juicy with every new twist. I love when someone was brave enough to call out the mods on their shit and produced evidence of their bad faith arguments via screenshots of Discord messages.
In the light of these events, Morrigan resigned as a mod, too.
This was an amazing read. Thanks for posting this. Just like watching idiots throw gas onto a fire in a building collapsing around them. Era’s moderation is fucking awful.

Starfield

I think some people over at ResetERA will come back to NeoGAF. Its just waiting to happen. Maybe they'll realise that this place here actually doesn't give a shit if you're trans, lgbt+, straight, gay or whatever else you wanna be. Everyone gets respected the same way.

From what I've seen noone here tries to make a big fuzz out of it. Everyone's here to discuss what matters, Starfield.

Last edited:

s-bojan

Banned
Look at what happened to DF Darkx1 on reset? John is a super nice guy, but that place ran over him because he interviewed a developer john had no clue that had some bad opinions on things resetera are all about. The whole site came down on him, and he literally stopped posting.
This is not true at all.

cormack12

Gold Member
I think some people over at ResetERA will come back to NeoGAF. Its just waiting to happen. Maybe they'll realise that this place here actually doesn't give a shit if you're trans, lgbt+, straight, gay or whatever else you wanna be. Everyone gets respected the same way.

From what I've seen noone here tries to make a big fuzz out of it. Everyone's here to discuss what matters, Starfield.

Hopefully. Despite the split or whatever, there were a lot of good people who just left with the herd. Ideally they'd come back but who knows. Internet does weird things to people.

Tschumi

DXX4UIc.png

Eras greatest mod. In a text based medium he can't spell for shit. Every. single. post. he makes has grammatical and spelling errors. Also you know furry Gary Coleman is losing her shit right now somewhere in a Discord.

EllipticalImmaculateBarnowl-small.gif
ah so it's not just me being half distracted his english really was pants

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
The expression "polar opposite" implies they're just as bad but specular in their opinions. Like - there are lefties there and only fascists here.
Polar opposite as in ‘all for freedom of expression’ and ‘subscribe to the group think or die’.

ranmafan

Of all the places on the net, that is one that doesn’t deserve the money at all. I never felt so confused and so unwelcome on a website or web community like I did on era. I fell for all the hype to jump on board when the thing happened at the beginning and it did nothing but bring me overall frustration and took away my interest in talking about games online. It was a miserable place to be. Left that forum after many miserable months and didn’t go back to any forum for almost a year. Thankfully I came back here and was so glad I did, as this was always my gaming home all the way back to the gaming age days and is just way better in every way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom