• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[NEXT LEVEL lames™] ResetEra sold to M.O.B.A. Network for USD$4.55 million

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
sMcoitJ.jpg

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
- Cerium never really posted or participated
- Never paid anyone other than himself
- Made 500k a year (???)
- Turned a group of screeching weirdos into a 4.5 million dollar payday that he is keeping in its entirety

71LBpMQE66L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Hats off to that guy tbh. He created a containment zone for the worst people on the internet and made himself a nice chunk of change, without ever getting his hands dirty or paying anyone.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Because JK Rowling revealed herself to be a trash human being. But it's stupid to ban Harry Potter conversations over this.
Thats correct. Its fucking stupid to ban harry potter as an entity though. I dont get why people cant seperate art from the artist. I still love hp and that world and can ackowledge that rowling is a bigot. Banning hogwarts legacy discussion full stop….smfh…

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Why did they waste money on resetera, I mean given how toxic their community is, it must be the same userbase as league of legends.

Maybe its because of this?

Disabling the /all chat in league of legends so they can cry on era, they'd fit right in.

Genius.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
- Cerium never really posted or participated
- Never paid anyone other than himself
- Made 500k a year (???)
- Turned a group of screeching weirdos into a 4.5 million dollar payday that he is keeping in its entirety

71LBpMQE66L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Hats off to that guy tbh. He created a containment zone for the worst people on the internet and made himself a nice chunk of change, without ever getting his hands dirty or paying anyone.

Yeah gotta respect the hustle.

season 5 goo goo gas GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Thats correct. Its fucking stupid to ban harry potter as an entity though. I dont get why people cant seperate art from the artist. I still love hp and that world and can ackowledge that rowling is a bigot. Banning hogwarts legacy discussion full stop….smfh…
Thing is... they really had/have 2 options:

#1 Ban discussion of the game
#2 Ban endless de-railing / screeching in the threads

They think #1 is easier; but honestly they have needed to do more of #2.. thing about Resetera is that most of the users do just really want to talk about games. That's evidenced by how massive the threads are for games that have some "problematic" issue but aren't the #1 target of the screechers.

Of course, some of the top screechers are moderators so there is that.

Papacheeks

Banned

By far this was what Everyone has been saying. But because resetera is run by a eco-chamber of people who only want specific discussion I dont see that place changing. I was literally banned for Hogwarts thread talking about JK rowling and her work. I brought up bill Cosby and how he's a shit monster, and needs to stay in prison, but that in his early days did a lot for the Black Community and colleges. I got dog piled and perma banned for it.

Seriously I hope the good posters who make the Gaming OT's come back here. This place is better than its ever been. Instead of getting banned you get removed from a thread if you were drive by posting or trolling too hard. To me it does the correct thing to that person.

ManaByte

Well if i remember correctly @EviLore once mentioned that it was really weird that the Resetera site was pretty much ready to launch when the accusations happened...almost as if the people behind it knew whats was coming.

I don't know if it's true or not, but the story goes they had the forum ready to go because they wanted a safe space for discussion of a certain gaming company that they felt they couldn't get on GAF (like all the Era splinter forums now), and they planned and orchestrated the whole thing to intentionally implode the forum and get all of the users on their place. That's why all the discords were setup to move communities over and the leaders of those rewarded as "Community Resettler".

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Basically took the traffic from NeoGAF, in an age when setting up a forum is easier than ever, used mostly unpaid labor to build/run the site.. turned it into a hellhole, and ran off with the cash.

Amazing stuff Cerium, whoever the hell you are lol
LOL. And he's Reeee's saviour of video game forums.

All this time, that site is big into leftie views, anti-rich people, and anti-corporate.

And they all got played with their fearless leader walking with $4.5M and 4 years of annual profit. No surprise, dumb as rocks people over there.

Hey, give Cerium credit. It takes one part brains and one part hustle to make good cash. And this guy seemed to barely do anything. At least the guys hawking counterfeit caps and tshirts a block away from stadiums is putting in game day hustle. It looks like Cerium did nothing. For all the bashing Reeee does to CEOs and the stereotypical lazy leader who goes golfing all day with a golden parachute, Cerium is even worse.

Last edited:

Rayderism

I just wonder if that site being bought will make them more woke, or less.

Frankly, all this woke stuff seriously concerns me, I don't fully understand it all for one thing, but also how us "normies" seem to be getting more and more vilified as horrible, terrible people who deserve to have some "ist" or "ism" term stuck on us, while the woke crowd seem to think they are righteous in their views and no one is allowed to not be OK with it. It gives me a headache, rolling my eyes so much that I practically detach my retinas over the ridiculousness that society has devolved into. I strain my neck from looking around and going WTF is going on with the world.

But you know, I just come to game forums to talk about games, not political or woke or normie views. I still remember a time when we used to talk about strategies and getting help when we were stuck in a game on gaming forums, not people constantly casting aspersions at each other for our personal views. I try (repeat: TRY) to stay out of all that kind of stuff and just talk about games, as much as I can. Seems like such a small thing, but it's getting increasingly difficult to avoid being pulled into subjects that are not just about games. sigh....

Schadenfreude is a helluva drug.

BaKht5N.jpg
Kinda scary how accurate Onlywantsapples' post is in regards to the charade Era represented in marketing as a "safe space" for marginalized groups. It kind of reminds me of how a lot of current Hollywood productions function: more as a means of saving on operating costs and it coming off as performative.

Not that I believe in the concept of "safe spaces" per se (altho in some instances it probably make sense; a group of Holocaust survivors shouldn't have to put up with a neo-Nazi awkwardly sitting in on their conversation for example, unless they invited said person to sit in to have a formal debate). But, places like ERA over-police on things and if you happen to be a minority with an opinion not in line with the running/dominant narrative of a thread, you're probably gonna get yeeted.

ManaByte

It would be hilarious if Moba was able to back out at the last minute due to the value of the site going down thanks to all the people leaving.

mckcAYo.jpg

This is like when a big company bought Latino Review based on El Mayimbe's scoops, and he immediately jumped ship to form a competing site and then got a job at The Wrap; leaving them with nothing.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
It would be hilarious if Moba was able to back out at the last minute due to the value of the site going down thanks to all the people leaving.

mckcAYo.jpg

People are so weird about "their data".. as if an individual is worth jack shit, or their SPECIFIC data is being stared at by a human.

Work / legit email addresses are worth jack shit anyways as they tend to be behind strong spam firewalls.

They also think every company is in it "for the data"... which is dumb.. what data is useful from Resetera that can't be scraped by a web crawler?

They bought the site because the ad revenue is basically passive income as web sites are not difficult to maintain.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You know what would be hilarious, if Cerium made another refuge forum under a different name. Then sells it again in 4 years.
Why not? If I was him, I'd take a shot at it for laughs. And if it fails, who cares. Got $4.5M.

All he has to do is call himself a new nickname and make sure to never show his face. He did when Reeee got up and running. I think he's some Chinese guy. I remember him in a video clip explaining his Cerium name.

He can call the new site: DoOverEra.com

Alebrije

Why not? If I was him, I'd take a shot at it for laughs. And if it fails, who cares. Got $4.5M.

All he has to do is call himself a new nickname and make sure to never show his face. He did when Reeee got up and running. I think he's some Chinese guy. I remember him in a video clip explaining his Cerium name.

He can call the new site: DoOverEra.com
Neoera.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom