• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Nintendo Switch model could release as early as late 2023

Draugoth

Gold Member
5OEhk1Q.png

In the Pokemon direct this morning the latest DLC for Pokemon Scarlet and Pokemon Violet was revealed. Someone pointed out that everything revealed in the DLC sounds like a leak from a few days ago and you can see by checking the link above, they were pretty spot on... a mysterious Pokemon with a green mask, clothes as a purchase bonus, large blue turtle, etc. Even the title "Hidden Treasure of Area Zero" was spot on.

Now what does this have to do with the Nintendo Switch? It says: We are working on a graphics enhancement patch for the new Nintendo Switch models that will be released alongside DLC2.

Now if this is true, part 2 of the DLC is slated to release Winter 2023.

As a side disclaimer, DLC2 might not actually be referring to "Hidden Treasure of Area Zero Part 2" but rather an additional set of DLC referred to as "Hexagon" (unless they got confused since the third legendary has a lot of Hexagons) in 2024.

I would... actually buy a "New" Nintendo Switch. Because it's probably my most-played system ever, other than N64/GameCube. And I'll get even more mileage out of these games, since the hardware is so ancient. So, why not? I'd buy one. Especially since, if this is true, it means no successor for 3-4 more years. So the reason of not buying one because "you'll just wait for the new system" sort of goes by the wayside when it's that far out. Unlike Lite or OLED, this would be a very, very effective way to get a huge number of Switch owners to replace their Switch with a new model. OLED was a hard pass for me, as soon as I saw there was no spec upgrade.

I'm in! Super Switch!

Last edited:
We should get a hold of the codename of the new console after their FY ends in March. The devkits should be with 3rd parties by this time, which means first party got them a year ago, or even before.

Codename NX started floating around, IIRC in and after one of the investor calls...

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Yea please, I’ll be there day one.

If it’s another Switch revision, rather than a next-gen follow up, I’d rather see that they release it alongside Zelda though.

I imagine it’s unlikely we’ll see a revision of the Switch that has updated internals. If we do get one though, I’ll be ordering it. I play my Switch all the time. I just hope it has battery life comparable to the OLED.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I would... actually buy a "New" Nintendo Switch. Because it's probably my most-played system ever, other than N64/GameCube. And I'll get even more mileage out of these games, since the hardware is so ancient. So, why not? I'd buy one. Especially since, if this is true, it means no successor for 3-4 more years. So the reason of not buying one because "you'll just wait for the new system" sort of goes by the wayside when it's that far out. Unlike Lite or OLED, this would be a very, very effective way to get a huge number of Switch owners to replace their Switch with a new model. OLED was a hard pass for me, as soon as I saw there was no spec upgrade.

I'm in! Super Switch!
The "New" 3DS was kind of shit though - because games that weren't enhanced for it didn't get any hardware benefit at all.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
I can't wait until the people foaming at the mouth about a Switch 2 get given the equivalent of a New 3DS to last them another few years.
At this point that is not going to happen for a variety of reasons but mainly manufacturing throughput. The Nvidia "Drake" chip is the next Switch and it's an absolutely enormous leap in tech over the current Switch, maybe even a bigger leap than 3DS to Switch as it has a 10x CPU, 6x GPU, 3x RAM, 4x RAM bandwidth leap in power all with DLSS 2.0 on top to take 1080p games up to better than native 4k image quality.

As for it releasing this Winter... I doubt it because if it was going to be released this year then they would have delayed Zelda 2 again for it's launch even if they have a new Mario to go with the new console.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Not exactly true. They still got faster loading times IIRC. And the 3D feature worked way better thanks to the eye tracking camera.
You're right about the eye tracking camera, that's true. But the storage was identically fast (SD card in both models) and there was no benefit for loading times. Basically, the New 3DS emulated the regular 3DS hardware unless it was specifically told to use the higher specs by the enhanced software.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
You're right about the eye tracking camera, that's true. But the storage was identically fast (SD card in both models) and there was no benefit for loading times. Basically, the New 3DS emulated the regular 3DS hardware unless it was specifically told to use the higher specs by the enhanced software.

According to this you still get faster load times due to the extra RAM. From what I’ve been able to find, some RAM-heavy games would reboot the system when you launched them to free up memory but they don’t have to do that with New 3DS.

But at any rate yeah it was disappointing that there weren’t more benefits for existing games. I would certainly hope that Switch hardware/software is designed with scalability in mind. If Switch Pro/2/whatever is just an overclocked Tegra X1 that downclocks to OG Switch speeds for BC, that would be pretty freaking dumb and disappointing

Kataploom

Gold Member
Well, it's probably releasing before the DLC anyway, I don't think the person has the release schedule for all Nintendo products... I just hope it is true, I don't care about resolution but I'd like some first party games get some 60 fps treatment (not happening even if a PS5 equivalent Switch comes out tho, just dreaming)

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
When there's also that Zelda TotK OLED Switch coming this year?

iu
This won't be the first, second or even third time Nintendo have rinsed hardcore collectors for special editions of hardware that's about to be replaced later that same year but I have serious doubt's Switch 2 is coming before March 2024 at the earliest but for other reasons (if they could get Switch 2 out this year then Zelda would be delayed another six months for it's launch).

ADiTAR

Banned
This won't be the first, second or even third time Nintendo have rinsed hardcore collectors for special editions of hardware that's about to be replaced later that same year but I have serious doubt's Switch 2 is coming before March 2024 at the earliest but for other reasons (if they could get Switch 2 out this year then Zelda would be delayed another six months for it's launch).
What if they sold you Zelda in May, then updated graphics with the DLC for an extra $20 on the holidays.

The "New" 3DS was kind of shit though - because games that weren't enhanced for it didn't get any hardware benefit at all.
The exclusive games for it weren't the biggest draw, though. It was really excellent hardware, actually. It added dual analog control for regular 3DS games that were patched or allowed for it, which made MH 4 and Generations 100x more playable. It downloaded things way, way faster. and the coolest part was the face-tracking camera, so the 3D effect was far more user-friendly. It made it so you didn't have to hold it just so. New 3DS was by far their best dedicated portable system, by a mile.

jshackles

The exclusive games for it weren't the biggest draw, though. It was really excellent hardware, actually. It added dual analog control for regular 3DS games that were patched or allowed for it, which made MH 4 and Generations 100x more playable. It downloaded things way, way faster. and the coolest part was the face-tracking camera, so the 3D effect was far more user-friendly. It made it so you didn't have to hold it just so. New 3DS was by far their best dedicated portable system, by a mile.
I agree with you completely on this. And they could certainly add some enhancements to the "New Switch" that would be worthwhile upgrades - like Wifi 6 and an internal NVMe drive.

I just also think it'd be extremely disappointing if they released new Switch hardware that was compatible with the older games, but only insomuch as having them run on the system in a downclocked mode without access to any benefits the presumably stronger hardware could provide.

It kind of tracks, when you think about it. There is nothing out there about next-gen Nintendo hardware, like not even a whiff. If it was coming in early 2024, we'd be hearing reports and rumors about it. If Nintendo is pivoting to a souped-up Super Switch to get an extra 3 years out of the Switch, that actually makes sense. And explains lack of buzz around new hardware. Maybe the "canceled" Switch Pro that DF reported on in January is actually just taking Nintendo a lot longer to do, based on chip shortage and component prices being higher than they wanted. Maybe they had to scale down the spec upgrade to make it profitable to sell at $399. And it also tracks with the report that Nintendo was letting suppliers know they were increasing Switch orders, and increasing their forecast for Switch going into year 7. Which is unheard of in the console lifecycle of any system.

It fits in nicely though if they are making a Switch model with upgraded specs. It could be fully BC, and just run games better out of the box, or with minimal work. Exclusive software could happen, but wouldn't be crucial if it doesn't. One X and PS4 Pro never had exclusive software, they just ran games way, way better, depending on the game. Like, Nintendo could even do a new dock that is based on the OLED dock template, but make it so in TV mode, it outputs at 4K for video apps/ certain games. Or upscaled to checkerboard 4K in TV Mode, like PS4 Pro did.

Seriously, this all tracks, and makes sense. Nintendo not doing E3, and not dating or talking about any games after July this year, holding onto everything. Could be prepping for some kind of live in-person thing that they put on themselves. Like a global version of Nintendo Live. Or a new Nintendo Switch Presentation, like they held for the original Switch in 2017 to unveil it. Sony used to do that for hardware announcements. I think the last one was in autumn 2016, they held a Playstation Meeting to unveil the PS4 Pro.

A genuine Switch Pro/ Super Switch, like a meaningful hardware upgrade, would definitely cause Switch sales to stop declining, and outside of a successor, would be the only way at this point in the cycle to increase hardware sales YoY.

I'm imagining:

-$399, no bundled software - (might have to be above $400 but just depends on how things go this year)
-64GB SSD (tiny by modern standards, but Switch games are tiny compared to the other consoles, and right now the load times on Switch are continually worsening as games get bigger)
-4K DLSS in TV Mode (on a game-by-game basis, but all video apps will support it)
-battery life will be about the same as OG Switch/ possibly slightly worse due to the higher spec
-no OLED screen (cut costs to hit $399 target price)
-Analog triggers
-fully BC with all existing Switch software/ NSO and save cloud data fully carries over with Nintendo Account
-no exclusive games for now, but could happen in the future
-fully compatible with all Switch accessories/ controllers
-existing key titles being updated to run better as part of the initial "launch lineup" - (tracks with what NateDrake said he was hearing from developers/ contacts back in summer 2021)
-Metroid Prime 4 (also on OG Switch) intentionally not being shown off until the Super Switch is unveiled, as it will be the headline launch title/ technical showpiece for it, Holiday 2023.
-announce in August (around GamesCom), for the minimum amount of time needed for marketing and pre-sales activity, so that sales of existing models don't evaporate. - (Explains skipping E3 this year, even though E3 is back. It would have just been too early to show it based on their timeline).
-coincide with Nintendo Selects/ Player's Choice line of older Switch titles brought back $29.99-$39.99 (Arms, 1-2 Switch, Odyssey, Super Mario Party, BotW, Xenoblade 2, Octopath 1, etc to start)

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
As others have said, it did have faster downloads, faster loading times and better RAM iirc. Smash 3DS basically held the original 3DS at gunpoint, the hardware would need to reset when you closed the game. new3DS handled that like any other game.
Also, ”super stable 3D” actually delivered what it promised and that alone made any game with 3D capabilities better.

I wan't Switch VR. 😆
Probably next-next gen. 😅

Also my bet that new Switch is NOT 4K capable nor have any DLSS. Mark my words.
That’s the easiest bet ever :messenger_winking:

leo-j

Not them releasing a NEW Nintendo switch as their nextgen console kinda like the WII U to the Wii….. just call it switch 2 or super switch 2 …… make it clear it’s a nexgen console.

StereoVsn

Not exactly true. They still got faster loading times IIRC. And the 3D feature worked way better thanks to the eye tracking camera.
And there was that right nub. Overall OS was faster, and if you hack it for homebrew/emulation, that helps a lot as well.

Edit: Mind you, it would be kind of crazy to release barely updated Switch hardware vs Switch 2 after 7 years, but I wouldn't even be surprised since it's Nintendo.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Switch U

4k display dlss 3.0 support latest nvidia chipset as powerful as a 3090ti but low power
battery life of 3 days

wil launch with minecraft 2
and terraria 2

exclusive launch of factorio expansion for 6 months

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Gamers want graphics, think about it the switch is 5+ years old, the situation is a new Zelda is coming out and that franchise really matters.

Top Bottom