• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Nintendo Switch model could release as early as late 2023

StereoVsn

Looking at the rumors, early 2024 is likely. When is next Nintendo's shareholder/financial results meeting, end of Q1?

Doczu

You can't infer it from that since the Switch brand is so powerful, there is no way of Nintendo giving it up. What ever Nintendo's next gen console will be, it will have the word Switch in its naming.
Well the 3DS had DS in it's name, so it's the same situation. A potential successor riding on the brand of it's predecessor.

I just hope Nintendo won't try to do a light mid gen refresh when their console really, REALLY needs to be replaced.

Doczu

still tho, even Nintendo was too lazy to patch/support their first party games.
especially Pokémon really needed it back then. and with a modded New 3DS you could use the hardware and it actually made the Pokémon games run way better.
I'm still fucking furious Nintendo didn't patch in a general OS rule that made the games work just as the PS4 Pro did. Man that would be a game changer for many.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Well the 3DS had DS in it's name, so it's the same situation. A potential successor riding on the brand of it's predecessor.

I just hope Nintendo won't try to do a light mid gen refresh when their console really, REALLY needs to be replaced.
Yes, but you have to realize, especially when it comes to a generational shift, they won't just up the specs. They havent done that for the longest time. Of course there will be more powerful hardware, but we also have to expect something extra. Unfortunately by nature this approach is hit and miss. So I would not take a successful product like the Switch for granted. And when I say successful I don't mean sales.

Last edited:

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
They basically having nothing at all for the holiday season so I guess let's just wait to see what (if anything) Nintendo announces at/after its full year results briefing.

I think either a reveal during the E3 week to release during the holiday season, or a reveal in January 2024 (to avoid cannibalizing holiday 2023 sales) followed by a release in late spring 2024. I also think they will announce a price-drop for the existing Switch lineup just after it launches. Assuming everything is back-compat, there's no reason for them to kill the existing Switch.
I don’t think it’s 100% out of the question that Drake will release this year just more very unlikely to me as they’d have either just soft launched the console alongside Zelda in May or delayed Zelda until November to launch alongside the vast numbers of systems they’d be able to manufacture from now until November.

Before this year I was 100% that Drake was coming in May with Zelda. It just seemed to make too much sense with how well BotW launched Switch as let’s face it BotW was basically the only launch game worth buying a Switch for.

Right now it looks far more likely that Drake is either Spring or Fall 2024 alongside Mario Kart 9 imo.

Kamina

Golden Boy
I dont believe in a Switch Pro. And if it was a Switch 2 then Zelda would be delayed to be a Launch title.

Interesting to see all the talk about 4K and all for the new upgrade/next console, when a lot of the current Nintendo switch games runs at 30fps (or less) and below 1080p, despite many claiming most of their games run at 60fps .

But anyone can write anything on the internet

Last edited:

Saiyan-Rox

I was wondering this earlier

Could scarlet and violet have been built on new hardware and ported back that's why it runs so shit?

Nintendo also have a habit of releasing new hardware with a Zelda title so it can release on both platforms. I know that isn't going to happen this time but Nintendo might not have wanted to delay Zelda any further?

Either way the switch is in dire need of a refresh and it's got so many great titles that need a 60fps version at least.

Banned
Knowing Nintendo I wouldn't count on being more powerful to the steam deck...

it will be, we just don't know by how much.
there are 2 possible chips and then a variety of clock speeds to choose from.

we are talking anyway from as powerful as the Deck in handheld mode, all the way to slightly less powerful than Series S in docked mode.

if they use somewhat high clock speeds we are talking up to 3.9TF in docked mode.
if they clock it really low we would see 2.3TF docked. with the slower speeds we would also see 1.41TF in portable mode

for comparison the Deck has varying clock speeds based on your power profile and thermals, and at peak reaches 1.6TF

there is of course the difference in architecture making such comparisons less straightforward but it's an indication of what to expect. also that chip has all the RTX30 series features as well, meaning dlss is possible on it

Last edited:

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
4k and ray tracing on a portable? Lay off the crack pipe. That doesn't exist for years, still hyped for a new released tho
You must not have seen Metro Exodus run Ray Tracing on Steam Deck then? and that console doesn’t have DLSS to take massive amounts of computational stress off the GPU to render real time RT.

In theory there would be nothing stopping a developer using the RT cores in Drake to enable real time RT in handheld mode by rendering a game like Metro or Control at 360p then using DLSS to upscale it to 720p with RT features on.

I personally think RT will be kept for docked only play though for battery life reasons although I don’t see the harm in including it even as an option to swap RT settings for lower battery life but that seems very un-Nintendo.

Marvel14

Banned
there is of course the difference in architecture making such comparisons less straightforward
In otherwords anyone saying "Switch 2 more/less powerful than.." is talking out of their ass.

With DLSS raw power can be substituted with machine learning so you can no longer compare for like.

You should be saying "it can produce visuals and framerates comparable to x" but most of us can't cuz we don't know squat diddly.
Suck on that

Last edited:

Banned
In otherwords anyone saying "Switch 2 more/less powerful than.." is talking out of their ass.

With DLSS raw power can be substituted with machine learning so you can no longer compare for like.

You should be saying "it can produce visuals and framerates comparable to x" but most of us can't cuz we don't know squat diddly.
Suck on that

well if they use the bigger chip it will absolutely shit on the Steam Deck. but we don't know that yet.

but the bigger mystery will be the clock speeds as Nintendo was SUUUPER weird when choosing the clock speeds for the original Switch

chromhound

New update
CQ9p5ak.png

tkscz

How will it measure up to Steam Deck
Hard to say, will it use what the cann'd Switch Pro was going to use? Will it use the upcoming Tegra Thor as 4nm process uses less battery than the 8nm Ampere. How low will Nintendo have it clocked to save on battery and heat?

Can't really say until we get more rumors on hardware specifics.

Suck on that

I am wondering about DLSS... it'd be easy enough for Nintendo to ask for the tensor cores to be cut to save space. Could just use FSR2 if they want an upscaler.

Hard to say, will it use what the cann'd Switch Pro was going to use? Will it use the upcoming Tegra Thor as 4nm process uses less battery than the 8nm Ampere. How low will Nintendo have it clocked to save on battery and heat?

Nintendo too cheap for that. There's a (very) small possibility that it's Tegra Orin but on a better Samsung node than 8 nm. But I wouldn't expect miracles even if that ends up happening.

Last edited:

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
Samsung 8 nm is cheap enough for Nintendo. We are still talking about something with a GPU about as powerful as the Steam Deck though.
That's making me thinking why Nintendo choose Nvidia in first place?
Nvidia have something very advanced and maybe Nintendo wants' to use some of the cutting edge technology? That's so unlike Nintendo past 15 years.

blacktout

Don't keep us in suspense. "The New Switch model is <Japanese characters >".

The Zelda Special Edition
The Switch Heavy
The Pokemon Special Edition
Switch 2

Which is it?

On Spawn Wave this morning, John said it translates to "Switch next generation." Not sure of his source though.

Makes sense though, because"Switch successor in early 2024" matches the existing rumors and speculation more closely than "Switch Pro this Christmas."

v1oz

Nvidia have something very advanced and maybe Nintendo wants' to use some of the cutting edge technology? That's so unlike Nintendo past 15 years.
I think Nvidia still wants a slice of the console pie but they burned bridges with Sony and Microsoft. It now seems they like have a good relationship with Nintendo, and it just so happens that almost by chance, Nvidia have industry leading advanced AI and ray-tracing technologies that would be just perfect for a future Nintendo handheld.

Nvidia are a notoriously difficult company to work with they famously had a falling out with Apple. Which led Apple to stop using their chips in laptops.

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

I had a blast with my Switch, even though it was showing his age in a while, I'm still okay with what it can do and the games it is receiving.

If Nintendo makes the new switch just an evolution of the original, keeping all their functionality, and improving where it needs to, like the joycons, screen and the SoC, I'm all for it. Also, it needs to be backwards compatible.
I skipped on the PS5/XSX in favor of a PC upgrade, but a new Switch is just irresistible to me.

Kappa

DLSS is nowhere near able to provide a clean picture at 4k with ray tracing with this type of chip, it's a blurry shimmery mess with my 3070 and that will never fly for default settings. I'll eat a shoe if there are already demos with mobile hardware on a wide scale. But considering it's Nintendo not sure why people are expecting more than a 3ds - n3ds level upgrade

Marvel14

Banned
On Spawn Wave this morning, John said it translates to "Switch next generation." Not sure of his source though.

Makes sense though, because"Switch successor in early 2024" matches the existing rumors and speculation more closely than "Switch Pro this Christmas."
Heell yeeaa....someone post the it's happening gif quick!

There were rumors that some nVidia sales execs were basically told to find a console deal or find a new job. The Switch being a unreleased SHIELD prototype that they sold to Nintendo and Nintendo then kind of ran with it.

Switch 2 should be about on par with what the expected Steam Deck 2 would be imo.

Unlikely.

Top Bottom