• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Step in FromSoftware's gameplay evolution sould be Dragon Riding

kungfuian

Dragons are cool for sure, but from a gameplay perspective when I think of Souls games id rather like to see the addition of ability expanding gear, that both enhances world exploration and combat (aka zelda/metroid, grappling hook, climbing gear, bombs, etc), and more physically based puzzle solving intagrated into to navigation of dungeons, enemy encounters, etc.

kungfuian

For starters

Limited ant-man/giant-man like transform mechanic where the PC can take on the giant enemies on their own scale. Use the size and the environment to do actual believable damage (ex: break poise and slam the enemy against a castle/mountain etc).

Lure/trap mechanics - Use the open world to set traps and lure the enemies into it. Hints can be integrated into lore that would take a keen eye to decipher what it means and where and how to set the traps.

Basically anything that makes me feel like something other than a Pomeranian yapping at someone's feet.
I like the lure/trap mechanics idea. Perfect fit for these style of games.

Some others might be combat enhanced by disarms, weapon stealing, or maybe more environmentally enhanced combat (jump off walls for example, slam enemies into walls), partially climbable bosses.

Whatever it is should be grounded in the core souls mechanic of overcoming enemies who require new strategies and gear to defeat.

Aion002

I disagree.

It should be about: more combat options, agility, build varieties, vast battlefields with many enemies and multiple factions fighting at the same time while the player tries to advance in the chaos.

Since Demon's Souls they've been showing huge battlefields before the start of the game, it's time for them to let us partake on such stages.

Then later we can have dragon riding, first we need the battlefields.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Everything you add in terms of player functionality has a cost versus everything else gameplay-wise and the scales need to be balanced.

Better abilities tend to make lesser abilities redundant and more troublingly from a design standpoint can remove barriers that are there to moderate flow and ensure focus.

In writing, punctuation might not seem like "fun" but its just as necessary for understanding meaning as the words are. Same deal with the interplay between mechanics and obstacles in a game, creating an all powerful mechanic like being able to ride a dragon and rain down fire from above is great - but it trivializes so much stuff that it demands to be deployed sparingly unless you want it to become the one thing that the game is about.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Like HFW?

Carrie Fisher No Thanks GIF by Star Wars

Flutta

Banned
They should make Sekiro 2. That’s what they should be making, instead people want flying dragons i mean…i can’t even

James Franco Whatever GIF

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Wouldnt dragon riding add another dimension to that freedom aspecially in the hands of fromsoftware?

This is gamers. There gonna disagree with cool ideas because for some weird reason they think blah blah blah.

Im sure it will be great if they do it properly. Maybe dont let it effect the exploration so much. Which I would trust loads of studios with.

Sakura

Not sure it would be a good idea.
I understand the idea of flying a dragon might sound cool, but what's the point of having an open world only to fly over it?
Hey there are some tough looking enemies over there in my way, I'll just fly over them.
Oh cool, a treasure chest, but it is in a really dangerous area, so I'll just fly to it.
Etc.

You would constantly have to come up with ways to force the player to the ground, such as making all dungeons etc areas you can't fly around in. But then the open world just ends up serving as a hub and sort of loses its purpose.
The only way I could see it maybe working and being cool, is if say there was a dungeon that the mechanic was exclusive to. Maybe the boss in the dungeon is fought while riding the dragon, something like that.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I don’t see it happening because it would break the over-world if I could just hop on my dragon and fry difficult enemies to a crisp to avoid combat.

It would have to be a world full of flying creatures or something to level the playing field.

ikbalCO

Not sure it would be a good idea.
I understand the idea of flying a dragon might sound cool, but what's the point of having an open world only to fly over it?
Hey there are some tough looking enemies over there in my way, I'll just fly over them.
Oh cool, a treasure chest, but it is in a really dangerous area, so I'll just fly to it.
Etc.
You can apply the similar logic to elden ring. You can finish that game, see the end credits and still miss %70 of the game.

You are really dismissing the curiosity factor in fs games which I believe curiosity alone is what drives exploration in them.

Top Bottom