• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nextorage 1TB SSD for Playstation 5 $127!

SkylineRKR

You can use external drives, but that caps your loading time improvements unless you have a pretty fast USB 3 external drive right? I am starting to load some games from external drives on my XSX and PS5, but I am choosing games with already low loading times and/or small games likely to fit in memory as is.

For PS4 games I compared external with internal and I couldn't spot a difference to be honest. The PS5 downclocks to PS4 speeds anyway. Its a Samsung T7 mind you, a fast external drive to begin with.

I'd advise to put all PS4 content on a T7. It saves a ton of internal space.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
For PS4 games I compared external with internal and I couldn't spot a difference to be honest. The PS5 downclocks to PS4 speeds anyway. Its a Samsung T7 mind you, a fast external drive to begin with.

I'd advise to put all PS4 content on a T7. It saves a ton of internal space.
Thanks, I will look into it. I had bought a large HDD as external backup. Crazy idea of downloading every single PS4 title I own hehe.

Rossco EZ

Trying to match that storage size with 4x1 TB or 2x2 TB XSX|S cards costs you a pretty penny extra compared to the $699 SSD you found there (even after adding a heatsink on top).

yYcuZgt.png
the drives for xbox are such a scam convenience or not. want to upgrade mine with a 2tb but not paying the silly prices they ask :messenger_persevering:

SkylineRKR

I am very happy with the way Sony handled it. You could argue against the compatibility that took over a year to come to fruition, but I didn't have many games at that point anyway. Its like PS3, for which I bought a cheap 160gb way back in 2007 while I cried when I saw the 120gb Xbox drive being offered. Yes its more a hassle but really, you'll do it once and it takes like 5 minutes tops. Remove plate, insert the M.2 with heatsink, screw it on, screw the cover on and reattach the plate.

If it saves me 100 bucks, I'll gladly do it.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Trying to match that storage size with 4x1 TB or 2x2 TB XSX|S cards costs you a pretty penny extra compared to the $699 SSD you found there (even after adding a heatsink on top).

yYcuZgt.png

We all know it's the worst deal in gaming, even Vita cards sound like a bargain in comparison now.

Topher

Gold Member

yYcuZgt.png

What ever happened to companies other than Seagate being able to make this thing after a year?

It's pretty clear the PS5 storage solution will always be cheaper and the Xbox solution will always be hot swappable and portable. One is more flexible, one costs less. Pros and cons like most things in life.

True but tech wise there's nothing that really justifies the tax that the Series drives have. If going by costs they should be priced similarly or even less than comparable PS5 compatible NVMEs. Probably less due to the actual drives being slower. Only thing that explains it is Seagates monopoly on the Series SSD market.

What are we thinking is the cause, supply chain finally catching up to demand?

Would love to see sales like this for the Seagate expansions for Series X|S, definitely could use the 1TB expansion so I don't have to keep uninstalling games to make room. Hopefully this is a sign that things are starting to return to normal.

Thank God Sony went with standard M.2s. While convenience is nice, I definitely wouldn't want to pay nearly double for the same size SSD, but half the speed.

Nydius

It's pretty clear the PS5 storage solution will always be cheaper and the Xbox solution will always be hot swappable and portable. One is more flexible, one costs less. Pros and cons like most things in life.
The "hot swappable and portable" benefit is only good for people who are constantly swapping between multiple consoles. How many people do you know who are doing that? I can't imagine it's very many. I'm sure some people will find it useful to swap between a main Series X and a secondary Series S in the same house but I'd argue those are not average users. Average users are probably people like me: I got the 1TB drive the same time as the console launch and it's stayed plugged into the back of the XSX ever since.

Proprietary storage systems like this are bad for the consumer, regardless of whether it's this or the old Vita memory clusterfuck, or the proprietary drive formatting of the old Xbox 360s, etc. 2TB M.2's could already found cheaper (on sale) by the time Seagate announced their slower 2TB game expansion drive for Xbox Series X|S. Until/unless Microsoft opens up the market to other manufacturers (which is unlikely given their long-standing relationship with Seagate), this will be a place where Sony always whoops them.

You are changing your tune compared to pre-launch, but hey at last you agree with what everyone else was saying for months before and after launch (moving the goal post a little) :). Also, one is faster and more reusable more easily (M2 SSD can be reused on PC’s too and consoles with or without external enclosures) too. Part of being cheaper despite being better HW means you can have more storage more easily.

Also, being able to hit swap is likely for most to be a having to over wanting to (the use case of carrying your memory card around is not as common as you paint it compared to wanting more storage) because you have less space. 4 TB is again getting close to be affordable to many (2 TB is now getting close if not less than the 1 TB memory card for XSX|S).
Changing my tune about what. Never in my life did I claim the Xbox storage solution was going to be cheaper. Also I think the likelihood of a customer needing 4TB of internal storage is even less likely than a user taking their memory card to a friend's house to play games.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I bought one of these for my ps5 and I'm putting the Crucial P5 Plus I was using into a media center build I'm working on.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I bought one of these for my ps5 and I'm putting the Crucial P5 Plus I was using into a media center build I'm working on.
Let us know what it runs in the speed test, and how it performs. I assume a Sont owned company would want close to optimal.

Crayon

I bought one of those 1tb Xbox drives as gift for someone. The guy loved Xbox and he had absolutely every fucking thing for it except the expansion. I was cornered. I just told myself it was better than paying $230 for a speeding ticket.

Kerotan

Still don't feel the need to buy another SSD. 500mb internet really helps with that. Might just hold out for the ps5 Pro which should have a bigger one.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Changing my tune about what. Never in my life did I claim the Xbox storage solution was going to be cheaper. Also I think the likelihood of a customer needing 4TB of internal storage is even less likely than a user taking their memory card to a friend's house to play games.
COD, NBA2K, Fortnite, etc…higher quality video recording and screenshots, etc… would like to have a word with you.
Games are getting bigger and it is more about needing more than 1 TB or 2 TB and the cost of getting there without having to swap drives and tracking where you have installed what (helps with games discoverability and the system keeping things updated for you if the games are all visible at the same time) and there is also a non trivial difference in cost at 1 TB and 2 TB.

You also can only backup those native next gen games to external storage.

Top Bottom