• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus Mods deletes anti-Pride mod for Spider-Man, encourages angry users to delete their accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draugoth

Gold Member
https://www.nexusmods.com/news/14733

Recently there's been some silly drama on our site that was sparked by someone uploading a mod for Spider-Man Remastered. The mod replaced the very few Pride flags the game actually has with the already prevalent USA flag texture from the game. The mod was removed from Nexus Mods and the author was banned.

To address the banning, which is what a lot of people want to focus on, the mod was uploaded by a sock puppet account (i.e. a newly made account by someone who already has an account on the site) and uploaded under the name "Mike Hawk". It was very clearly done deliberately to be a troll mod. The fact the user needed to make a sock puppet like a coward to upload the mod showed their intent to troll and that they knew it would not be allowed. Had they not been a coward and had they used their main account instead, we would have simply removed the mod and told them that we did not want to host it, only banning them if they reuploaded it again after being fairly warned. The creation of the sock puppet removed any doubt and made it a very easy decision for us. Both the sock puppet account and the user's main account have been banned.

In regards to the replacement of Pride flags in this game, or any game, our policy is thus: we are for inclusivity, we are for diversity. If we think someone is uploading a mod on our site with the intent to deliberately be against inclusivity and/or diversity then we will take action against it. The same goes for people attempting to troll other users with mods deliberately to cause a rise. For our part, we will endeavour to do a better job of moderating our website to this ethos ourselves.

We aren't the authority on what users can and cannot mod. Us removing a mod only means it cannot be found at Nexus Mods, nothing more, nothing less. We also note that we are not the only site that has removed this mod from their platform. As a private business, we have a right to choose what content we do and do not want to host on our platform. Respect this right the same way you want respect for your rights.

If you feel something goes against our policy then please report it. However, we will be the adjudicators on what we do or do not think is appropriate for Nexus Mods. And that goes for everyone no matter where they stand; left, right, up or down.

We don't want to and won't argue this with you. We've now explained our stance and we won't be providing a platform for you to distort our position in order to feed an irrational and paranoid narrative. You can do that elsewhere, where we won't care enough to read it.

If this policy upsets you, if we've broken some moral code of conduct as a business that you can't accept, then please, delete your account (bottom option) and move on, as we will.

FingerBang

I don't disagree with them that private businesses should be allowed to do whatever they want, but hopefully they'll support any bakery who refuses to make cakes for gay weddings.

This is a non-story anyway, you can still get the mod somewhere else and use it. But honestly, just ignore the flag and play the game.

I wonder if TLoU2 modders will change Abby to a woman and the author gets banned as well lol.

Who the f does it hurt? Stop being fragile.
...I'm confused

CheeseCake

What’s hilarious is that all the modder is doing is using a foreign version of the game.

And? Why does a LGBTQ+ flag bother these people so much?

I don't even remember the damn flag when I played the game back when I had my PS5. If I did notice the flag, I'd probably be like "oh look, it's the LGBTQ+ flag, that's cool." But that's it, I wouldn't care much about it lol.

I don't 100% agree with what nexusmod is doing since I think there are other just as offensive mods that haven't caught this much attention but I still don't understand why people want to remove a LGBTQ+ flag (it's different for the foreign version, given that well, certain countries don't really "allow" that to be shown. e.g I'm pretty sure being gay in a few of those is pratically a death sentence.)

I wonder if TLoU2 modders will change Abby to a woman and the author gets banned as well lol.

You need to grow up. Dickhead.

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Banned
And? Why does a LGBTQ+ flag bother these people so much?

I don't even remember the damn flag when I played the game back when I had my PS5. If I did notice the flag, I'd probably be like "oh look, it's the LGBTQ+ flag, that's cool." But that's it, I wouldn't care much about it lol.

I don't 100% agree with what nexusmod is doing since I think there are other just as offensive mods that haven't caught this much attention but I still don't understand why people want to remove a LGBTQ+ flag (it's different for the foreign version, given that well, certain countries don't really "allow" that to be shown. I'm pretty sure being gay in a few of those is pratically a death sentence.)

I mean, you can say the same about the people who disagree with the mod. Why do they care so much? It's just an American flag replacing an LGBT flag. It goes both ways. Personally, I don't care and still don't.

If someone wants to play the game with the American flag instead of the LGBT flag, that is perfectly fine.
If someone wants to play the game with the LGBT flag instead of the American flag, that is perfectly fine.

Anyone who gets angry at any of those takes is who I disagree with.

Hari Seldon

I am not offended by the pride flag at all and would never bother looking for a mod like this, but the mod community on PC these days is complete garbage from the glory days. Nexus is one problem, as they are trying to make hosting mods a legit buisness, but the bigger issue has been patreon and all of the mod people trying to make a living off of this. Theoretically I have no objections, but I basically do not engage with modding anymore. The only site that I do still use is the Valve workshop itself because it is so seamless for the games that support it.

Soodanim

Uploading under an alt like that means either there was ill intent or he knew the likely reaction. It isn't so black and white as to mean anyone who replaces the flag is homophobic. The pride flag isn't a universally accepted flag by all LGBT people because of what it represents to them. The crux of the matter is that the flag means different things to different people, and deciding that one meaning fits all is where the hubris comes in. Nexus are right that it's their site, but on principle people don't like being told what they think or what their intent is. Still, it's going to be easy to find for those that want it thanks to all the attention this has gotten.

There are other flag replacers on Nexus at the time of writing, and the comment sections are predictably full of arguments:

Last edited:

CheeseCake

I mean, you can say the same about the people who disagree with the mod. Why do they care so much? It's just an American flag replacing an LGBT flag. It goes both ways. Personally, I don't care and still don't.

If someone wants to play the game with the American flag instead of the LGBT flag, that is perfectly fine.
If someone wants to play the game with the LGBT flag instead of the American flag, that is perfectly fine.

Anyone who gets angry at any of those takes is who I disagree with.

Can't say I disagree with what you're saying.

Thing is... the user who uploaded it used an alt account under the name "Mike Hawk" (lmfao)... so it kinda seems like it was done with the intent to troll lol

Last edited:

Hugare

Yeah, Nexus are the fragile ones

Not the ones editing game files or downloading a mod 'cause they are scared of some pride flags

I would rather have gaming discussions on a gaming forum, and not political bait threads, but here we go, 20 pages incoming

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Yeah, Nexus are the fragile ones

Not the ones editing game files or downloading a mod 'cause they are scared of some pride flags
Those who acts like twitter cancel culture are the fragile ones.

Everyone can mod anything on PC. If people want to remove, it remove it.

If people want a black spiderman or whatever, mod it.

It can't affect your game how people mod it.

I don't give a f either way, even if I wanted to play it, but it intrigues me when cancel culture gets into it.

Hugare

Those who acts like twitter cancel culture are the fragile ones.

Everyone can mod anything on PC. If people want to remove, it remove it.

If people want a black spiderman or whatever, mod it.

It can't affect your game how people mod it.

I don't give a f either way, even if I wanted to play it, but it intrigues me when cancel culture gets into it.
Everyone can mod their game, and that's their problem

But why they are moding it is what I find honestly funny.

Does pride flags bother them that much? Seriously?

If that's not a sign of being fragile, fuck me

Arcadialane

To the person who made the mod

solid-snake-salute.gif

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Uploading under an alt like that means either there was ill intent or he knew the likely reaction. It isn't so black and white as to mean anyone who replaces the flag is homophobic. The pride flag isn't a universally accepted flag by all LGBT people because of what it represents to them. The crux of the matter is that the flag means different things to different people, and deciding that one meaning fits all is where the hubris comes in. Nexus are right that it's their site, but on principle people don't like being told what they think or what their intent is. Still, it's going to be easy to find for those that want it thanks to all the attention this has gotten.

There are other flag replacers on Nexus at the time of writing, and the comment sections are predictably full of arguments:
[/URL]
[/URL]

Wanting to remove the pride flag means that you're most likely a bigot. That's why they took down that mod. Why else would anybody want to remove a pride flag?

Removing a national flag however doesn't make you a bigot in anyway, so no issue with removing national flags.

It's pretty much that simple

Skifi28

I can't comprehend the people so bothered with a flag that they want to change it, but I also don't get the other side that had to take measures for something so trivial. Many people care too much about something completely pointless. One's life must be really sad to go to internet wars over digital flags.

Wohc

Banned
Wanting to remove the pride flag means that you're most likely a bigot. That's why they took down that mod. Why else would anybody want to remove a pride flag?

Removing a national flag however doesn't make you a bigot in anyway, so no issue with removing national flags.

It's pretty much that simple
Why does a rainbow/pride flag exist in the first place? Don't get me wrong, i don't bother about flags or rainbows on license plates and so on, but i always thought it's mainly to provoke certain people and it works like a charm.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
I can't comprehend the people so bothered with a flag that they want to change it, but I also don't get the other side that had to take measures for something so trivial. Many people care too much about something completely pointless. One's life must be really sad to go to internet wars over digital flags.
Ask the German government that they removed the nazi flag from ww2 games for years

GermanZepp

Nazis were a real thing that killed millions and their effect can still be felt today, a little different than a few people yelling about their sexuality so I'm not getting into that comparison.
USA army invaded killed and devastated several cities for that matter. The thing is there are less movies about it. So it just depends on who you ask.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom