• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHK and Japan Ranks Top 100 Anime List to Celebrate 100 Years of Anime!

Cowboy Bebop is much higher than I expected. I had this vision that things like Cowboy Bebop and Trigun were only loved outside of Japan which is why shows like those are not made anymore.

Well Trigun is absent. Death Note is a surprising absence too* given it has live action movies still made in Japan then again given a western live action take on the story is being made maybe there is more popularity in the west.

*-Apparently it is missing from the top 400 as well (I can't find it at least)

The top 400 isn't much better reading. Naruto Shitpooden above Naruto. Both have cancerous amounts of filler but at least part 1 shoved the majority at the end so can easily ignored rather than having a filler minefield and that year that had a total of 8 canon episodes.

Ugh Psycho Pass in the top 20?
But season 2 and the movie (painful amounts of Engerish) are nowhere to be found (well technically they're in the top 400). Now that is what I call a fall from grace. Plenty of other shows had multiple entries in the top 100.

I do not understand the love Mahou Shoujo Madoka get's, at all, It's not bad but it's as derivative and cliched as 95% of the trash heap of Anime.
Is it well made though? I've not watched Madoka but watching My Hero Academia I'm in two minds about it being as derivative as a shounen show can get but still enjoying it because it so well made.

Urusei Yatsura and InuYasha, but no Ranma 1/2? Wakarimasen.
199th and 388th*. Still fared better than Inuyasha: The final chapters (365th) and Maison Ikkoku (unranked).

*-In Japan it is two shows because it initially got canceled (that version ranks higher). I think going by the US releases the canceled show is season 1 (well the ice skating episodes of season 2 were also going to be part of that but an abduction took place in Japan and made national news so the broadcast was pushed back).

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
My Top 10 Anime:
1. Revolutionary Girl Utena
2. Psycho Pass
3. Cowboy Bebop
4. Samurai Champloo
5. Initial D
6. Ghost in the Shell
7. Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood
8. Trigun
9. Black Lagoon
10. Pokemon (First Season)

Best Manga:
1. One Piece

How'd I do, GAF?

PillarEN

My Top 10 Anime:
2. Psycho Pass
3. Cowboy Bebop
4. Samurai Champloo
5. Initial D
6. Ghost in the Shell
8. Trigun
9. Black Lagoon

Best Manga:
1. One Piece

How'd I do, GAF?

Not enough moe. 5/10

XZ1Mt3K.gif
I laughed out loud at this gif.

Why do these Love Live girls have blushing cheeks in perpetuity? Even when alone in front of a PC? This shit is 30 places above Cowboy Bebop!

My Top 10 Anime:
2. Psycho Pass
3. Cowboy Bebop
4. Samurai Champloo
5. Initial D
6. Ghost in the Shell
8. Trigun
9. Black Lagoon

Best Manga:
1. One Piece

How'd I do, GAF?

I can't imagine Trigun being a top 10 anything

My Top 10 Anime:
2. Psycho Pass
3. Cowboy Bebop
4. Samurai Champloo
5. Initial D
6. Ghost in the Shell
8. Trigun
9. Black Lagoon

Best Manga:
1. One Piece

How'd I do, GAF?
Not Cute/10

See me after class.

zashga

Kind of surprised I've never even heard of the #1 anime of all time. After googling, kind of disappointed it's not actually about a tiger and a rabbit.

Terrible list...really wonder about the demographic spread of people they were asking. One of those Japanese variety shows did a top 100 list a few years ago, and the big anime that got lots of votes were all older, nostalgic shows that never had any traction in the US, stuff like Sazae-san, Heidi, Doraemon, The Rose of Versailles, etc., along with more otaku friendly but still very mainstream stuff like Dragon Ball. No hint of Love Live, Tiger and Bunny, all that sort of thing. This list just reads like they asked two teenagers about what they really liked and then left it at that.

Kyuur

Overall its a good list. Lots of quality shows on there. In terms of ordering, its more about whose fanbase is most vocal, not what is most popular. That much should be obvious from One Piece's ranking.

*12 Joker Game is a fucking disgrace though. I watched it in its entirety and while the show was okay, it was also sort of uninspiring and generic. Fans of the novels maybe.

nitronite

My Top 10 Anime:
2. Psycho Pass
3. Cowboy Bebop
4. Samurai Champloo
5. Initial D
6. Ghost in the Shell
8. Trigun
9. Black Lagoon

Best Manga:
1. One Piece

How'd I do, GAF?

Not enough Legend of the Galactic Heroes/10

Overall its a good list. Lots of quality shows on there. In terms of ordering, its more about whose fanbase is most vocal, not what is most popular. That much should be obvious from One Piece's ranking.

*12 Joker Game is a fucking disgrace though. I watched it in its entirety and while the show was okay, it was also sort of uninspiring and generic. Fans of the novels maybe.

Almost certainly not fans of the novels.

I'm surprised how high Psycho-Pass is on this list ; I mean I liked it but I never consider it to be technically a good anime. Also YAY at Mushishi at #78 it's probably in my top three anime but it always seemed quite niche so it just makes me happy to see it on the list at all.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Female top 10:
6. "Mobile Suit Gundam"
7. "Detective Conan"
8. "PSYCHO-PASS"
9. "Haikyu!!"
10. "Attack on Titan"
whiguyblink.gif

Male Top 10:
6. "Gintama"
7. "Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2"
8. "Is The Order a Rabbit?"
9. "Legend of the Galactic Heroes"
10. "Revolutionary Girl Utena"
whiguyblink.gif

What in tarnations?

Shadoken

At first I thought maybe Miyazaki movies arent included or something. Then I see #54 #91. This list is just what?

My Top 10 Anime:
2. Psycho Pass
3. Cowboy Bebop
4. Samurai Champloo
5. Initial D
6. Ghost in the Shell
8. Trigun
9. Black Lagoon

Best Manga:
1. One Piece

How'd I do, GAF?

Still a million times better than the NHK list for sure.

mantidor

Not enough animewasamistake.gif, it's just baffling.

I also assume the Mononoke mentioned is this one:

220px-Mononoke_TV_2007.png

Which is an excellent series, but it still makes the omission of Princess Mononoke (the famous, from Ghibli) a complete travesty.

Top Bottom