• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHK and Japan Ranks Top 100 Anime List to Celebrate 100 Years of Anime!

I see NHK loves its Gintama doesn't it?

My Top 10 Anime:
1. Revolutionary Girl Utena
2. Psycho Pass
3. Cowboy Bebop
4. Samurai Champloo
5. Initial D
6. Ghost in the Shell
7. Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood
8. Trigun
9. Black Lagoon
10. Pokemon (First Season)

Best Manga:
1. One Piece

How'd I do, GAF?

Still a better top 10 then the one we got, though I'd replace Pokemon's first season with just Digimon in general or something.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
**8 Cardcaptor Sakura
*13 Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu
*29 Uchuu Senkan Yamato
*30 Shoujo Kakumei Utena
*38 Hoshi no Ko Poron
*44 Lupin III: Cagliostro no Shiro
*60 Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon
*75 Saraba Uchuu Senkan Yamato: Ai no Senshi-tachi
*76 Cardcaptor Sakura (2nd Season)
*79 Urusei Yatsura
*86 Soukou Kihei Votoms
*94 Urusei Yatsura Movie 2: Beautiful Dreamer
*98 Macross: Do You Remember Love?
*99 Gan to Gon
I thought it was just all recency bias but there are a lot of classics that made it to the top 100.

*54 Kaze no Tani no Nausicaä
*59 Tenkuu no Shiro Laputa
Nausicaa > Laputa it is known.

*80 Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
This is extremely impressive for what was really a niche anti-mainstream anime.

*95 Dennou Coil
What the fuck? Mitsuo Iso am cry.

Shadoken

How come GITS: SAC is pretty high up , yet the original movie isnt on the list o_O?

Not enough animewasamistake.gif, it's just baffling.

I also assume the Mononoke mentioned is this one:

220px-Mononoke_TV_2007.png

Which is an excellent series, but it still makes the omission of Princess Mononoke (the famous, from Ghibli) a complete travesty.

I recognize that artstyle. I remember someone showing it to me a long time back , but i couldnt remember the name. Will check it out.

Deepwater

Is Tiger and Bunny really that popular? I'm also surprised Psycho Pass is that high too, I enjoyed both of them but just surprised.

Disappointed that Ouran High School Host Club isn't on there, nor Cromartie High School. The demographics probably skewed this a lot, but it's a better list than a lot of yalls "let me list my top 10 favorite ann-e-mays from Adult Swim"

Haly

Is Tiger and Bunny really that popular? I'm also surprised Psycho Pass is that high too, I enjoyed both of them but just surprised.
For both, it's the yaoi fanbase + recency bias driving those numbers.

I am saddened out of all the Gundam series Zeta Gundam is not even on there. Also Tiger and Bunny being three of the top 10, am I missing something here? Every time I see that anime it is "Product Placement" the anime. That is probably why because some money must have been shoved under the table.

Haly

Is there a Tiger and Bunny manga or something? Because K-On died, based on this list anyway, and it's just as old.

What do you mean? There's no yuri fanbase driving K-ON. It's all moetard otakus who're still sleeping with their Mio body pillows.

When I say "yaoi fanbase" I mean there's still literally a ton of Tiger and Bunny doujinshi being put out every year for what is effectively a "done" franchise because the series just resonates that much with fujos.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Gaijin might get shit on for being weebs, but I bet their lists would look better collectively even if Naruto appeared somewhere in there.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
What do you mean? There's no yuri fanbase driving K-ON. It's all moetard otakus who're still sleeping with their Mio body pillows.

When I say "yaoi fanbase" I mean there's still literally a ton of Tiger and Bunny doujinshi being put out every year for what is effectively a "done" franchise because the series just resonates that much with fujos.

I mean K-On was at one point the most popular thing ever, but then flamed out... so it's weird that K-On would die and T&B would thrive in fandom.

Although I guess there's also less yaoi-bait anime coming out than there is waifu anime, so male otaku have a lot more choices to move on to after they're "done" with a set of waifus while fujis just cling on to their hot husbandos for as long as possible.

Fujoshi have much better taste than male otaku as always. Tiger & Bunny >>>>>> whatever the fuck Love Live is supposed to be.

Happy to see Mob Psycho made the list at all, I didn't expect it to make it in a popularity contest like this.

dramatis

I'm surprised the Gintama anime ranked higher with men than women, given other polls show that women really liking Gintama
Gintama likely just missed top 10 with females. More surprising is the original Gundam ranking so high on the female list.

I mean K-On was at one point the most popular thing ever, but then flamed out... so it's weird that K-On would die and T&B would thrive in fandom.

Although I guess there's also less yaoi-bait anime coming out than there is waifu anime, so male otaku have a lot more choices to move on to after they're "done" with a set of waifus while fujis just cling on to their hot husbandos for as long as possible.
I think K-On popularity was overblown. If you want your series to become mega popular and have staying power, it needs to have a broader appeal that is inclusive of a female audience. Not necessarily just fujoshi or male otaku. That's how series like Tiger and Bunny, Code Geass, Gintama, etc. can rank higher.

rpmurphy

If I were running a clickbait site, I'd probably report on this as "Japan Confirms: Anime Is Trash". Take note, clickbait sites.

Trojita

Osomatsu-san being very popular with Fujos seems like a meme that went out of control.

Haly

K-ON was a fad, like Haruhi. It's been supplanted by other KyoAni moebait.

I don't know what you're talking about with the second part. There's plenty of yaoi bait. Hell, Yuri on ICE was the most popular anime last year and that was 100% yaoi bait.
3. "Osomatsu-san"
4. "Joker Game"
8. "PSYCHO-PASS"
9. "Haikyu!!"
10. "Attack on Titan"
*11 Gintama
*31 Bungou Stray Dogs
*36 Natsume Yuujinchou
*37 Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works
*40 Mobile Suit Gundam Seed
*48 Free!
*50 Fate/Zero
All yaoi bait.

The shows that do the best, outside of LL and classics, are the ones that can capture both the fujo audience and the shounen audience. The only way you're getting onto the top 100 without the fujo audience is with the idol audience, and don't quote me on this but I think idol shows are pretty popular with women as well.

Trojita

I do, yes.

Your post makes no sense though.

Female top 10:
1. "Tiger & Bunny"
2. "Cardcaptor Sakura"
3. "Osomatsu-san"
4. "Joker Game"
5. "Love Live! The School Idol Movie"

Fujos like both and none of those two deserve to be anywhere near a top 5 or a top 50.

Your post makes no sense though.

Female top 10:
1. "Tiger & Bunny"
2. "Cardcaptor Sakura"
3. "Osomatsu-san"
4. "Joker Game"
5. "Love Live! The School Idol Movie"

If you look closely, Tiger & Bunny is four places above Love Live on that list. That, and despite common belief, "fujoshi" isn't a synonym for "female otaku".

Trojita

If you look closely, Tiger & Bunny is four places above Love Live on that list. That, and despite common belief, "fujoshi" isn't a synonym for "female otaku".
I don't think you can use "has taste" with 5 layers of a shit sandwich.

Haly

I don't know how this poll was conducted but if I had to guess it wasn't weighted at all. So say 100 female watchers put Tiger and Bunny as their favorite anime at place 50, and then whatever other stuff they like at 1-49. If it's just a straight up tally of votes, those 100 votes for T&B will put it ahead of a lot of things.

I still don't understand how Dennou Coil did so well it, like, bombed on all levels so hard Mitsuo Iso disappeared for 10 years (after spending 10 years on Dennou Coil itself).

Trojita

Have you watched Tiger & Bunny? It's no 1st place material, sure, but it's by no means a shit anime. And calling Cardcaptor Sakura "shit" is a crime against good taste.

I didn't say Cardcaptors was shit. The five layers thing wasn't in reference to the full top five. 3 of those top five are good, but not explicitly great. The other two are middling. None deserve to be in a top 5 or top 10 and that includes Cardcaptor.

I didn't say Cardcaptors was shit. The five layers thing wasn't in reference to the full top five. 3 of those top five are good, but not explicitly great. The other two are middling. None deserve to be in a top 5 or top 10 and that includes Cardcaptor.

Oops, my bad, I misunderstood. Still, I wasn't talking about whether they deserve to be top 5 or not, but that I agree with Tiger & Bunny is better than Love Live. I wasn't being too serious about the whole fujoshis having better taste thing anyway.

Gundam SEED? Joker Game? Sword Art Online?

Anyone who voted for these deserve to lose any right to watch anime.

Love Live, I'll admit is great high quality and kicks Idolm@ster's ass(fight me losers). But it's not solidly written or animated enough to be in the top ten, let alone top 50.

Osomatsu-san, however, is a good redeemer. Anyone who hasn't watched it yet needs to shut up and eat their godamn oden.

As much as I like Love Live, it has no business occupying several spots that high lmao

Maybe it's me being a super-casual, but I haven't even heard about most of these "Top 100" titles wtf

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Looking at the list again, I love how 91 ~ 100 would make a better top ten than the actual top ten.

Sure but no way is Kill la kill number 2 material. Lesson's in character assassination for incest based fetishes should not be applauded!

felt it was bit a letdown after having high expectations coming from Gurren Lagann

Haly

Man Otakus rule Japan

No Great Teacher Onizuka
No Ninja Scroll
No Tenchi Muyo
No Slam Dunk
No DBZ
NO YU YU Hakusho

Well yeah. These were big American shows. Obviously, American anime fans don't run japan!

Top Bottom