• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 22 Debut Frostbite Trailer Reveals Release Date and Cover Athlete

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Toronto Maple Leafs star Austin Matthews will be on the cover of NHL 22, which may come as a surprise to some fans, considering he was on the cover of NHL 20 just a couple of years ago. But Matthews' abilities on the ice have set him apart, and he'll once again be front-and-center for the new game.

NHL 22 is going to be released on October 15th, around the same time that other games in the series have been made available in their respective years. The new edition will be launched on PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, and Xbox One X|S at the same time.

"I'm thrilled to be working with EA Sports again and returning to the ice in NHL 22," Matthews said in a statement. "This year, Superstar X-Factors bring a whole new level of elite competition and strategy to the game, and you'll be able to unleash my 'Shock and Awe' ability for exciting shots at the net.

In addition to utilizing the Frostbite engine, which will make the game look and feel better than ever (especially when combined with next-gen technology), NHL 22 will be debuting the Superstar X-Factors feature, a game-changing system that helps make each of the sport's biggest stars feel unique on the ice.

"Developing NHL 22 with the Frostbite engine is letting us truly bring the series into the next generation," said Clement Kwong, Producer at EA Vancouver. "The visual upgrade is impressive on its own, but the Frostbite engine is also giving us the power to create a lot of realism that you'll really notice once you play."

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I love me some Auston Matthews even if he does disappear during the playoffs :messenger_loudly_crying:

Although it is funny that EA has resorted to recycling cover athletes

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I've been waiting years for them to switch to Frostbite. It's been promised for so long.

Hopefully the first version isn't as feature gutted as NHL 15 was when it launched for "next gen" (PS4/ONE) consoles.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Superstar X-Factors allow you to unleash unique player abilities that make stars feel like stars where their time on the ice is more influential than ever.
Reserved for only the more elite players in the league, Superstar X-Factor abilities separate the best from the rest, and make superstars feel like their real life counterparts.
Find out which 50 NHL Players will have X-Factor abilities on September 20th.

Who do you think deserves an X-Factor?

NHL 22 officially launches worldwide October 15th.

Brofist

Why the fuck is this game not on PC?
I've said it before in the Madden topic where it was revealed that this year's PC version would be based on last year's game, but I really think they purposely mostly avoid PC for sports games because of mods.

Being able to customize the games, change rosters and players etc...on your own is probably scary to EA who wants full control. It undermines their DLCs as well.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Hockey’s biggest stars react to their EA SPORTS NHL 22 ratings, and some even learn which of the all-new Superstar X-Factors were inspired by their playing style and signature moves. Some are stoked, some feel good about their ratings, and a few are ready to prove us wrong. See reactions from players like Patrick Kane, Jack Hughes, and Steven Stamkos think about their ratings and check out NHL 22 today!

Powered by Frostbite™, EA SPORTS™ NHL® 22 is as much of a superstar as the players on the ice in the most realistic hockey gaming experience yet. For the first time ever, experience hockey on one of the industry’s most powerful game engines, bringing unrivaled visual detail to every hit, deke, and shot.

Superstar X-Factors lets you feel the personality and power of NHL superstars with an all-new ability system that unlocks the unique skills of the league’s most elite players. Authentic to real player skill and style, the stars of the NHL truly come to life in NHL 22, making their time on the ice more influential than ever.

Catphish

Not profitable enough.
Not saying you’re wrong, but that makes no sense to me.

It was developed on PC. The work is done. Throw it on Origin with Madden and FIFA.

Surely it wouldn’t take many sales to recoup whatever costs are involved there.

No, there’s got to be something else going on.

elco

The players have gimmicky special moves now? Auto sauce on the pass for, was it Josi? Not a fan. Reminds me of one of the previous NHLs when you had snipers, big hitters, etc. Just made that particular attribute for that player too powerful, and games felt less dynamic. Not really digging the direction of this game the last few years, and not even close to something I'd pay anywhere close to full price on. Especially at $70 LOL!

Kagey K

Banned
They count the Series X version and XB1 versions as seperate games. WTF. Now we have to use the Series X version when some of us are on and the XB1 version when others are.

Dumbest thing I’ve seen.

NHL: "You know, EA, we were about to sliiiightly modify our contract and ask you a billion dollars every four years from now on for the NHL™ license..."

EA:

will smith no GIF

here we go again GIF

lefty1117

Gold Member
The game plays beautifully and looks great on XSEX, but a bit disappointed that there seems to be absolutely no changes to Be A Pro mode.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I played the trial on Series X.

Was decent. Best NHL game I played in years just dabbling with Season Mode. It played smooth (even the replays). The AI still moves and passes with god cheats, but wasnt as bad. I was able to actually knock down the AI players on their asses easy and I didn't even bother adjusting any sliders. Very good presentation look too.

Biggest problem I had is the fonts are either super small (literally unreadable on my 65" tv), or the fonts were bigger but so thin with its colours blending into the grey background it was hard as hell to make out words and names.

SantaC

Not saying you’re wrong, but that makes no sense to me.

It was developed on PC. The work is done. Throw it on Origin with Madden and FIFA.

Surely it wouldn’t take many sales to recoup whatever costs are involved there.

No, there’s got to be something else going on.
Theyre afraid of cheaters

Top Bottom