• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 22 Trial/Demo

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The 10 hour trial is up if you got EA Play. I think that's how it works.

- Series X tested
- This year is the first year using Frostbite
- Graphics look a bit sharper, gameplay at 60 fps. The lighting effects on the ice and jerseys (spotlights during goals) look good
- I cant believe it. For the first time in a million years, all cut scenes and replays are 60 fps too!
- The presentation is slick. The new menu screen are nice with a combo of players and FMV in high quality playing in the back. Player face photos are hi res
- Whoever set the font style should be shot. The fonts in most menu screens are tiny thin black letters, outlined in a thin white shadow, and all on top of the background which is grey like ice. Some words you cannot see at all and I'm playing on a 65" screen. You'll notice this the most when you first play the game and it tutorials you to pick what level to play. Also checking stats screens is bad too. Some lettering is fine when they use bigger blockier font size. I didnt see a text font size adjuster anywhere in visual or accessibility settings
- Play by Play guys are too hyperactive. Thankfully I turn off commentating while playing and amp up the other sound effects
- Gameplay is a mish mash of seen there done that (AI plays with godly puckhandling and zooming around), but also the game felt a bit different in a good way. My checks on CPU opponents actually hit and dislodge the puck

Overall not bad. No doubt the best NHL game I've played lately. Last one I played a full season was NHL 16! I might even get it. Not sure. I know it gets Game Passed every summer, but if it goes on deal during Black Friday or Xmas, I might snag it.

How can I forget? The game crashed and shut off my Xbox! Turning it back on made it look like a full reboot as I saw the Xbox intro page. Thankfully, everything worked turning it back on.

Last edited:

MastAndo

Gold Member
Am I missing something? Replays and cutscenes are 30 fps on my XSX.

I played an exhibition match and gameplay feels pretty tight. I'm digging it. I haven't played NHL for more than a few moments in many years (used to be obsessed with it though), but that was pretty fun. I'm not sure I'll be purchasing it or anything, but I liked what I saw.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Am I missing something? Replays and cutscenes are 30 fps on my XSX.

I played an exhibition match and gameplay feels pretty tight. I'm digging it. I haven't played NHL for more than a few moments in many years (used to be obsessed with it though), but that was pretty fun. I'm not sure I'll be purchasing it or anything, but I liked what I saw.
They definitely look smoother this year. Unless I'm wrong it looks 60 to me. Historically, EA NHL cut scenes and replays looks 30 fps or worse like it's a bit hitchy.

cormack12

Gold Member
The 10 hour trial is up if you got EA Play. I think that's how it works.

- Series X tested
- This year is the first year using Frostbite
- Graphics look a bit sharper, gameplay at 60 fps. The lighting effects on the ice and jerseys (spotlights during goals) look good
- I cant believe it. For the first time in a million years, all cut scenes and replays are 60 fps too!
- The presentation is slick. The new menu screen are nice with a combo of players and FMV in high quality playing in the back. Player face photos are hi res
- Whoever set the font style should be shot. The fonts in most menu screens are tiny thin black letters, outlined in a thin white shadow, and all on top of the background which is grey like ice. Some words you cannot see at all and I'm playing on a 65" screen. You'll notice this the most when you first play the game and it tutorials you to pick what level to play. Also checking stats screens is bad too. Some lettering is fine when they use bigger blockier font size. I didnt see a text font size adjuster anywhere in visual or accessibility settings
- Play by Play guys are too hyperactive. Thankfully I turn off commentating while playing and amp up the other sound effects
- Gameplay is a mish mash of seen there done that (AI plays with godly puckhandling and zooming around), but also the game felt a bit different in a good way. My checks on CPU opponents actually hit and dislodge the puck

Overall not bad. No doubt the best NHL game I've played lately. Last one I played a full season was NHL 16! I might even get it. Not sure. I know it gets Game Passed every summer, but if it goes on deal during Black Friday or Xmas, I might snag it.

How can I forget? The game crashed and shut off my Xbox! Turning it back on made it look like a full reboot as I saw the Xbox intro page. Thankfully, everything worked turning it back on.

Thanks for the headsup. Will give this a look tomorrow

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
One more thing to clarify about the cool menu screen with FMW in the background.

It's not as good as I thought. It's a round up of SOME players + Xfactor + video clip. Maybe 10 or so players tops and then it loops. Thats it. From what I remember:

McDavid
Draisaitl
Matthews
Marner
Crosby
OV
Pasternak
Zibanejad
Panarin
McKinnon
Rantanen

Top Bottom