• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHS opens first UK clinic for videogame addiction

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR

Focusing on children and young adults between the ages of 13 to 25, the new clinic, dubbed the “Centre for Internet and Gaming Disorder” will start treating patients next month. General practitioners in England can make referrals for patients starting today.
The clinic is part of the UK’s National Centre for Behavioural Addictions, based in London. The new clinic will feature the services of clinical psychologists, therapists, psychiatrists focused on the treatment of youth, and nurses with a focus on mental health.

Thanks, benevolent gov't overlords. I swear I want to get better but *scratches neck* I'm about to finish full-chaining the fourth stage of Daioujou. I can quit any time I want.

Portugeezer

Another reason to see this gif.
ScalyAnguishedCicada-size_restricted.gif

In all seriousness, I think this could be a good thing.

Last edited:

Vanethyr

But they don't have enough money for Social Care for the Elderly and Disabled....

I think Vanethyr Vanethyr could provide a better perspective of this issue than I could.

Despite the Trust I work for being a Mental Health one, I have yet to hear about anything like this being implemented in the county. Maybe they're starting with denser populated cities like London before branching out further?

It also sounds like they're trying to get help with the funding from the companies involved, rather than just depleting NHS funding - wonder how willing they'll be to contribute, even if just to save face.

I'll be sure to update the thread if I hear anything about it reaching this far.

I'm from the UK. While I'm not knowledgable about the financial side of the NHS, I can tell you we're horribly short on medical staff. Every third radio ad is about joining a medical profession, namely nurses.

No problem. I am from Manchester myself! It's just that the user I @'d has some knowledge of the goings on that I wouldn't be able to provide myself.

However, you made a good point. I see it all the time myself.

Vanethyr

No problem. I am from Manchester myself! It's just that the user I @'d has some knowledge of the goings on that I wouldn't be able to provide myself.

However, you made a good point. I see it all the time myself.

As much as I'd like to elaborate further on some of the goings on, it's quite a sensitive area right now (I mean, I don't even know if they'll be keeping us employed by this time next month after the amount of funding we've lost).

As much as I'd like to elaborate further on some of the goings on, it's quite a sensitive area right now (I mean, I don't even know if they'll be keeping us employed by this time next month after the amount of funding we've lost).

Oh shit, that sucks man. :(

I hope you keep your job!

Shrap

Rumour has it they are changing it from videogame addiction to videogame disease. I can see why; I've seen guys selling their body on the street for a few v bucks and some NBA player cards. It's the disease, man. Makes you do some crazy shit.

ROMhack

I actually don't think it's that weird. Seems there's always been an addiction problem to some games - hint hint MMOs - but these didn't happen to impact the 'normal' population. Now games like Fortnite and FIFA do though, there's probably more call for action.

Basically, I wouldn't worry so much about the stigma. It's not RPGs or Metroidvaniss that are going to deemed the problem.

Last edited:

joe_zazen

Despite the Trust I work for being a Mental Health one, I have yet to hear about anything like this being implemented in the county. Maybe they're starting with denser populated cities like London before branching out further?

It also sounds like they're trying to get help with the funding from the companies involved, rather than just depleting NHS funding - wonder how willing they'll be to contribute, even if just to save face.

I'll be sure to update the thread if I hear anything about it reaching this far.

cheers, much appreciate.

can poor people from other areas access london services or is this for upper middle class people who can afford to live in london?

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Focusing on children and young adults between the ages of 13 to 25

So after 25, you're good to go.

Centre for Internet and Gaming Disorder.

Treatment:

- Superman 64.
- Rambo: The Video Game.
- Duke Nukem Forever.
- E.T. The Extraterrestrial.
- Big Rigs.
- Plumbers Don’t Wear Ties.
- Ride to Hell: Retribution.

They could have a bunch of those young racist Call of Duty players on a hotline in case you need to cringe yourself away from video games in the middle of the night.

Top Bottom