• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Steam upgrade patch launches July 15

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Publisher Square Enix and developer PlatinumGames will release the promised upgrade patch for the Steam version of NieR: Automata on July 15, the companies announced.

Get the patch notes below.

Changes
  • Borderless Video Settings – Borderless video settings have been implemented.
  • Fidelity FX – A Fidelity FX CAS feature has been added.
  • HDR – The system will now detect whether HDR has been activated in the Windows display settings, and automatically boot the game in HDR mode if it has.
  • Anti-Aliasing – Adjustments to the anti-aliasing functionality
  • User Interface Textures (4K) – Approximately 270 user interface textures for icons, backdrops, user interface elements, etc. now support 4K resolutions.
  • Cutscenes – The bit rate has been improved and all pre-rendered cutscenes adjusted, so they will now play in 60 frames per second and display in the correct aspect ratio without stretching the picture.
  • Global Illumination – A new “Global Illumination” feature has been implemented. This can be set to three different levels: High, Medium, or Low.
  • Ambient Occlusion / Bloom – The rendering targets for ambient occlusion and bloom effects have been changed to dynamic resolution based on the game’s resolution.
Bug Fixes
  • It is now possible to switch between recently selected display modes for screenshots, such as between full screen and windowed mode or between borderless and windowed mode, by pushing the Alt + Enter keys together.
  • The mouse cursor is no longer displayed when using a game pad controller.
  • The frame rate has been stabilized at 60 frames per second under default settings.
  • Other stability related fixes have also been implemented.

Kuranghi

"The frame rate has been stabilized at 60 frames per second under default settings."

I wonder what this means, is it that they reduced the quality of some effects at the default settings or they made the code more efficient (whatever that means) to get higher fps generally? The bit about changing the resolution of of the AO and bloom effects could be a clue, hopefully a combination of the two anyway but whatever it is as long as its doesn't meaningfully affect the IQ then I'm all for it.

All sounds good, many of the issues I had with it are fixed, I'll still wait for impressions though just in case.

Pejo

Great news, and (probably) shows the system of Steam reviews actually working. Late, but better than never.

kiphalfton

Played the game at 4k 60fps, and doesn't really matter what they do with the game, as it is pretty ugly. Character models look fine, however, the environment looks like a PS3 game. Unpopular opinion, since people will say it doesn't have a big budget and the combat is stellar, but nevertheless I stand by what I say.

Last edited:

Braag

Its Been A Long Time Reaction GIF

longdi

Banned
this is thanks to the gamepass initiative. i seen old games getting patched to be available for gamepass

Teslerum

"The frame rate has been stabilized at 60 frames per second under default settings."

I wonder what this means, is it that they reduced the quality of some effects at the default settings or they made the code more efficient (whatever that means) to get higher fps generally? The bit about changing the resolution of of the AO and bloom effects could be a clue, hopefully a combination of the two anyway but whatever it is as long as its doesn't meaningfully affect the IQ then I'm all for it.

All sounds good, many of the issues I had with it are fixed, I'll still wait for impressions though just in case.
More stable frametimes I imagine. Original had some really bad spikes.

Top Bottom