• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier Replicant (ニーアレプリカント ) Original PS3 vs PS4 Remastered Graphics/Gameplay Comparison

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Do i play as chick or guy in this game?
giphy.gif

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Nier Replicant Original PS3 vs PS4 Remaster Graphics Comparison. Nier replicant ver.1.22474487139 is looking awesome. Can't wait to play this game.

Let me know what do think about the new Nier replicant PS4 Remastered version.

Pre-ordered, want to support the work they are doing with Nier!!!

hrab

Look at the downgrades in the robot chamber. No lightning. Ground texture simplified. Now look at robots, they don't have shadows. They look flat, unlike originals.

I'm sure they make this thing look like it should in finished product.
Tell Me More Jeff Goldblum GIF by National Geographic Channel
I agree. Hope it looks better on PC, because this is quite disappointing. Still hearing that music is hard to resist buying it again... Although maybe I should just find my disc and try it on emu instead, looks pretty good on youtube, and wouldn't have to settle for this weird animu kid instead of infinitely superior Papa Nier.

Soodanim

I’d wager that if you upped the framerate and resolution the original would look better than the remake. 1.22 looks flatter and more washed out in the comparison footage (which is why the yellow looks better), lacking shine and reflection on armour for example. Everything lacks contrast.

Kimahri

Banned
I’d wager that if you upped the framerate and resolution the original would look better than the remake. 1.22 looks flatter and more washed out in the comparison footage (which is why the yellow looks better), lacking shine and reflection on armour for example. Everything lacks contrast.
Yeah, no. There are some effects missing in the remake, but if you can with a serious face say the northern plains would look just as good upressed, you should see an eye doctor.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
After also having a look at intro comparison i am even more disappointed now. Emil's head looks like it was cleaned by an eraser or something.

So long as they tone down the over-aggressive depth of field effect that turned any character close to the camera into a blurry mess I'm happy. I have a pretty high tolerance for the heavy overexposed/overtreated look, but the original game was a bit much overall, and the DoF was just crudely implemented.

Soodanim

Yeah, no. There are some effects missing in the remake, but if you can with a serious face say the northern plains would look just as good upressed, you should see an eye doctor.
Bolded and coloured the important part of what I was responding to.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Bear in mind that most if not all the cut-scenes in the original were pre-rendered at a higher level of fidelity than the gameplay. Whereas from the looks everything in the new version is real-time, as evidenced by the costume sets appearing in cut-scenes.

GrayFoxPL

Bear in mind that most if not all the cut-scenes in the original were pre-rendered at a higher level of fidelity than the gameplay. Whereas from the looks everything in the new version is real-time, as evidenced by the costume sets appearing in cut-scenes.
What? Did you even played Nier?

Here you have another example:

ldTfsVo.jpg

It comes from

We altered talked about it on the previous page. There's no lightning on this scene, and yes everything is in real time on both consoles.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
What? Did you even played Nier?

Here you have another example:

ldTfsVo.jpg

It comes from

We altered talked about it on the previous page. There's no lightning on this scene, and yes everything is in real time on both consoles.

No its not. You're confusing simple establishing shots/cutaways like on entering a new area with more complex scenes like the wedding or anything using voiced/using higher-lod character assets.

And asking ME if I've played Nier?!? Have you seen my frickin' post history? I've been singing its praises since 2010!

Last edited:
I'm curious to hear what version people will be playing.

Anybody going for the PC release? At first I was leaning this way, but the inclusion of Denuvo DRM has me re-evaluating. I'll probably end up with a copy for the PS4.
I'm playing on the PS4 PRO (that I bought AFTER getting a PS5 since my base PS4 was giving up) since I'm using my PS5 for exclusive games for the system only or games that ran ridiculously bad on the PS4 like Until Down, Monster World and Genshin Impact.

GrayFoxPL

No its not. You're confusing simple establishing shots/cutaways like on entering a new area with more complex scenes like the wedding or anything using voiced/using higher-lod character assets.

And asking ME if I've played Nier?!? Have you seen my frickin' post history? I've been singing its praises since 2010!
You can't even respond to actual evidence I showed.

Well, you didn't seem to do a good job. If you didn't notice lack of lightning in scene:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
You can't even respond to actual evidence I showed.

Well, you didn't seem to do a good job. If you didn't notice lack of lightning in scene:

Go back and read my post, I never said there aren't differences but that the degree of difference varies drastically between scenes that were originally pre-rendered (using in-engine assets, but nonetheless pre-rendered as with Automata), and those that were running real-time.

The original Nier also ran at 720p with a wobbly 30fps framerate, this no doubt is not only targeting double the fps but a higher resolution. This is significant if stuff is real-time across the board, which considering the added features trailer shows formerly pre-rendered sequences running with the alternate costumes in place I assume is the case.

Last edited:

GrayFoxPL

Go back and read my post, I never said there aren't differences but that the degree of difference varies drastically between scenes that were originally pre-rendered (using in-engine assets, but nonetheless pre-rendered as with Automata), and those that were running real-time.

The original Nier also ran at 720p with a wobbly 30fps framerate, this no doubt is not only targeting double the fps but a higher resolution. This is significant if stuff is real-time across the board, which considering the added features trailer shows formerly pre-rendered sequences running with the alternate costumes in place I assume is the case.
This is your explanation really?

Because old Nier is 30fps 720p on PS3 and on PS5 is 60fps in quadruple resolution, then that's why we have this:

XlI4tvE.jpg

QnyxGAW.jpg

I already said, I hope this is resolved in final version. But you thinking this my be final thing is because of higher resolution and framerate, make is so much better.

Kataploom

Gold Member
How could you not have played Nier Automata. Go buy it, like right now.
For many reasons I haven't had a console this gen and this time I just have a PC with a Ryzen APU, wich works like wonders for lots of games but for a handful, not so much... Nier Automata is one of those, but I have on Game Pass, maybe that version will run well, I should try it soon :D

chaseroni

Because old Nier is 30fps 720p on PS3 and on PS5 is 60fps in quadruple resolution, then that's why we have this:

XlI4tvE.jpg

QnyxGAW.jpg

I already said, I hope this is resolved in final version. But you thinking this my be final thing is because of higher resolution and framerate, make is so much better.
Where are the shadows...wtf

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

XlI4tvE.jpg

QnyxGAW.jpg

I really couldn't give a fuck. Nier is not a game you play for the graphics, and never was. Dumbasses who couldn't see past presentational issues are why the game got treated like shit back in 2010, missing out on one of the best games of its gen as a result.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Really...you must try Automata.
Well, I was gonna try it but the thing is a unoptimized mess on PC and can't run it with my Vega 8... It's within the 3 or so games I can't run decently (I mean, 720p all low at around 40-50 is not how I want to play it).

I hope I can get my hands on a GPU some day, these prices are just shit.

GrayFoxPL

I really couldn't give a fuck. Nier is not a game you play for the graphics, and never was. Dumbasses who couldn't see past presentational issues are why the game got treated like shit back in 2010, missing out on one of the best games of its gen as a result.
I can give a fuck, I always praised Nier here. Who let it try, good. Who don't, they loss. Presentation why? Game had top notch presentation, it wasn't the issue. It was actually strong point of the game. The game was too difficult to explain to people.

Rolling a turd in sand doesn't make it candy. If the game presentation problems I'll show it.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I can give a fuck, I always praised Nier here. Who let it try, good. Who don't, they loss. Presentation why? Game had top notch presentation, it wasn't the issue. It was actually strong point of the game. The game was too difficult to explain to people.

Rolling a turd in sand doesn't make it candy. If the game presentation problems I'll show it.

The only problem here is your attention to detail. Watch some footage, you'll notice that the game only casts shadows in areas with direct, directional light. For instance If you pay attention to the intro movie you'll notice that during the Roc fight everything casts shadows except when they move into occluded areas.

See the ironic thing is that what your pointing at as being missing shouldn't really have been there in the first place, its just a convention that everything casts shadows underneath them like they are directly beneath a stage spotlight!

GrayFoxPL

The only problem here is your attention to detail. Watch some footage, you'll notice that the game only casts shadows in areas with direct, directional light. For instance If you pay attention to the intro movie you'll notice that during the Roc fight everything casts shadows except when they move into occluded areas.

See the ironic thing is that what your pointing at as being missing shouldn't really have been there in the first place, its just a convention that everything casts shadows underneath them like they are directly beneath a stage spotlight!
You don't see shadows, because there aren't any it that area.

They are beneath a stage spotlight? Hahah.

ZzgEQEF.jpg

Chandelier!

But no matter lets roll with this. So think how they are no shadows underneath them, crotch- legs area, hand with sword or even when character is jumping?

Mk93IOc.gif

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
You don't see shadows, because there aren't any it that area.

They are beneath a stage spotlight? Hahah.

ZzgEQEF.jpg

Chandelier!

But no matter lets roll with this. So think how they are no shadows underneath them, crotch- legs area, hand with sword or even when character is jumping?

Mk93IOc.gif

Go watch some footage, look at how shadows are handled in every scene. If a character goes into area where there's sunlight they cast a shadow, but the second they move into shade... no shadow.

Interior location, with lighting not only from chandeliers, but lights on the walls... No directional light, just ambient.

I know you think you're smart, but you're not. What do you think a shadow is in reality versus how its generated in a game? Allow me to explain: In reality shadows are cast due to occlusion; an object blocks a directional light-source resulting in a volume of space with lower brightness than the area around it. Its not a "something", its the absence of something.

In the original Nier, the thing that you are missing are the projected shadows. These are basically formed by creating an opaque flat texture based on the caster object model as viewed from the projection angle of the light-source, which is then wrapped and blended onto scene geometry. Its wildly inaccurate as a real simulation of the phenomenon, but it passes.

What they are doing in the remaster is actually a bit more accurate insofar as they are using a simple raycast to test for direct directional light for the single cast shadow per object. which is how you see shadows appear and disappear depending on the location of the characters in open environments.

So, in short there is no argument that what the original is doing is in any way better or more accurate. It isn't, its just more obvious and artificial.

Last edited:

The game looked like shit on the 360. It was the art style that saved it. I loved Nier but it was painfully obvious it didn't have a FF13 budget.

Kimahri

Banned
The game looked like shit on the 360. It was the art style that saved it. I loved Nier but it was painfully obvious it didn't have a FF13 budget.
I played it as recently as yesterday. Thing about it is, and this might be what makes some people draw the asinine conclusion the original at times looks better; it has very nice lighting. In some scenes it looks really nice. But it's all due to lighting, the geometry, textures and everything is clearly low budget, and the resolution is pretty low.

Now with the remake, everything else is ramped up dramatically, but the lighting doesn't seem to be as striking, in some cases, not all. It also looks a tiny bit flatter in a sense, maybe due to more natural lightin overall. The remake doesn't have the same level of oversaturation and contrast.

I think maybe the original had better overall art direction, but the remake has a better budget and thus prettier graphics, while some of the magic is not there, or is different, take your pick.

SoraNoKuni

Something seems off on the shadows department, but I like it.
It's more on par with automata.

Hope it sells well following the automata success, I was really lttp with automata, currently 28hours in and it's hands down my favorite game of all time dethroning the first Dark souls.

Yoko Taro and all the people involved into Automata created something truly special that sets the bar as how a game can be really deep and enjoyable at the same time.

N30RYU

It's that difficult to understand for some ppl that they have gone to a more realistic shadows/lighting like they did with SOTC remake? The original PS360 release was shadow coated with irreal lights and shadows to make charcaters more shiny to pop masking the lack of good textures and geometry.

Last edited:

hrab

Because they did not. This is just your wishful thinking trying to cover for they lazy ass job. Don't know why. This game currently looks it has no shadows except when exposed to the "direct sunlight". This make the main character look very cheap and out of place indoors. If they have better textures now, with this approach they've really failed to expose it, because without any lightning the details on those textures are not visible and look super flat. One can still hope for a day1 patch that would actually improve things, but in a most likely scenario only PC players will get unofficial fix.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Something seems off on the shadows department, but I like it.
It's more on par with automata.

Its what I described. It is more advanced than the original game's shadows but still a fairly basic single-point implementation. If you were doing a full on ray-traced solution it wouldn't look anything like the 2010 version, what you'd get instead would be multiple softer shadows in the interiors because the way the environments are lit utilize a lot of short fall-off lights on walls and ceilings.

I'm actually wondering if they might add them in to a next-gen upgrade because you can see skylight is actually handled with some care. For example if you check the footage out of the barren temple platforming area, you see the shadows appear and disappear accurately as the player move through the shafts of light cast through gaps in the ceiling.

I'd suspect it's probably just a Yoko thing, as its known that a key part of his vision for the game is that surfaces should be matte and dust covered for the most part to reflect the state of the world. I guess if he wants to avoid overuse of specularity, he might feel the same about excessive use of shadows...

Yoko Taro and all the people involved into Automata created something truly special that sets the bar as how a game can be really deep and enjoyable at the same time.

The original Nier has a more singular focus thematically but if anything its even more dense than the sequel. Its an extraordinarily complex game to analyze because its doing a whole bunch of things at the same time, all while wrapped in an overall premise that is comfortingly familiar from the outset.

Its deliberately contradictory and exceptionally subversive.

Top Bottom