• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier Replicant ver. 1.22474487139... |OT| Unto Thy Shade

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Complicated feelings and emotions about this game. I’m about to complete route D, and it’s been a roller coaster so far! Loving this game, and this is probably one of the best works of art I’ve encountered. But as a game, there are definitely parts of it that drive me mad. Maybe it’s coming from my playing Automata first, but there are some things I can’t believe they allowed to make it into this version.

Without going into details covered by pretty much everyone in this thread, the grind is real and the game’s biggest fault. I have no problem with replaying the story (though routes B and C could have been combined, in my opinion) and that is essential in telling this kind of story. But the quests, my god, they are truly painful. I can see how strapped Yoko Taro was for funding, and while it’s amazing he was able to achieve what he did - I don’t see why they couldn’t improve the grind in v1.22. I’m committing myself to those abuse in search of a platinum trophy only because i want to get every bit of the story for myself.

Aside from the needlessly repetitive parts, I actually prefer the world, story, and characters of Replicant to Nier: Automata. The party is one of the most flawed but likable casts I’ve seen. But as a game to be played, Automata edges it out with all of the refinements in game design and how well it iterates on the multiple playthroughs. Some have complained about route B in Automata but I feel it’s different and engaging enough to warrant the repetition, unlike route C in Replicant.

I’ll reserve my final verdict for once I’ve completed routes D and E (and how maddening the platinum is) but I have a feeling Replicant will have a special place in my heart despite Automata being the clearly better game.

You should be doing C/D at the same time. Just make a save at the final save point. Do C , reload then D. Then onto E.

OK, I know some of you are not going to believe me - I don't care, but honestly this is what happened.

I must preface this by complementing the studio, one thing that this version definitely has going for it is that tech-wise it's been really solid for me. Zero crashes or visible bugs, really solid performance with very long playsessions and rest mode in between. This should be the default state of things, but nowadays it''s anything but, especially so close to launch, so kudos to them. Just to repeat this once more, never had any technical issues with the game, at any point.

I wrote that I found the ending E to be bit underwhelming. It kinda is, when it comes to the last cutscene before credits. What happened though when I was getting there was, I got to the point where you have to input the name of your character for you-know-what to happen. But the virtual keyboard is nowhere to be seen. Wait a bit for it to appear, nothing happens. Try tapping a few buttons, still nothing. Wait some more.

...and then, there it is, the blue PS error reporting window. If anyone had seen me I imagine I had really genuine "you've got to be fucking kidding me" expression on my face at that point. I think people who break stuff to blow off some steam are both stupid and childish, but at that moment the DualSense I was holding was extremely close to becoming airborne. But instead I took a few deep breaths and just clicked to send the report. In retrospect I wish I had read what the report said, but I just couldn't believe what was happening and wanted to move on. Instead of an application error it was very likely a system error, because I was returned to the home screen, but when I selected Replicant, it went right back to where I was before. And now there's the keyboard, I'm able to input the name, the game does its thing, there's the final cutscene, credits roll.

But I hadn't been following this thread or gaming news in general very closely, wasn't aware that there's quite a bit of completely new post-game content (or rather that is the actual ending E), of course I'll check it out since I've got this far already. Would have been nice if the game notified me of it, but no matter. I start a new game with a new name, and... oh, we're starting in 2049. I guess the new content starts later, I'll just mash through the tutorial first. Then it's 1312 years later with kid Nier - I guess I'll go outside or something? So Popola wants me to get some mutton and herbs, I guess I can do that, maybe I'll get to the new content once I'm outside the village... but after 40 minutes I had to stop this futile effort and confirm what I feared.

I go to the main menu, try to start a new game with the name I previously used, and just as I thought, it works fine. So what probably happened was that while the game did its thing, it failed to update the system data that I reached ending E. Note I'm NOT blaming the game, it was much more likely due to my PS5 software and/or hardware. Still, FML - that's it for me, I'm done. Enjoy the game, I won't be touching it for a long time.

Unless you’re chasing a plat trophy you can ignore the side quests as they offer barely anything extra to the story or world and have pitiful rewards.

nowhat

Unless you’re chasing a plat trophy you can ignore the side quests as they offer barely anything extra to the story or world and have pitiful rewards.
Oh, I don't care for trophies. Just that I wanted to try the "real" ending myself, and because of a system glitch at about just the worst moment (seriously - I could have had a crash/corrupted save/whatnot at any other moment and it wouldn't have been as bad) I got the ending D with the "perks" of ending E - but without the ability to actually get to E. And I had no issues otherwise, it's like Murphy's Law to the extreme. But shit happens, I watched what I missed from Youtube.

Oh, I don't care for trophies. Just that I wanted to try the "real" ending myself, and because of a system glitch at about just the worst moment (seriously - I could have had a crash/corrupted save/whatnot at any other moment and it wouldn't have been as bad) I got the ending D with the "perks" of ending E - but without the ability to actually get to E. And I had no issues otherwise, it's like Murphy's Law to the extreme. But shit happens, I watched what I missed from Youtube.
Lol I quoted the wrong person.

Bridges

I was just harvesting wheat from the garden as I do every day, and an unfamiliar and rather lengthy text box just popped up. I have no Idea what it said because my mind goes to autopilot whenever I mass harvest and plant wheat and now I can't stop thinking about what it may have said. Anyone got any ideas?
For reference, I'm on route B and have been planting and harvesting 5 what's every day since I got the option to.

EDIT: Actually I had just planted a seedling when it popped up, I accidentally skipped it because I immediately hit B when the animation finished thinking I was opening the menu to water it

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
That motherf***cker 3rd door in The World of Recycled Vessel is ridiculous! Most bosses in there can one shot me and it takes forever to beat even normal shades.

I’m currently at level 34 with level 3 Phoenix Spear, am I that under level!?

Juza

That motherf***cker 3rd door in The World of Recycled Vessel is ridiculous! Most bosses in there can one shot me and it takes forever to beat even normal shades.

I’m currently at level 34 with level 3 Phoenix Spear, am I that under level!?
Maybe? I don't know actually! I don't remember when I got into it, but definitely over lvl40 with Fools Lament lvl4 AP: 999 + AP 30% and I found it a bit easy!

I was farming Eagle Egg there.

Danjin44

Maybe? I don't know actually! I don't remember when I got into it, but definitely over lvl40 with Fools Lament lvl4 AP: 999 + AP 30% and I found it a bit easy!

I was farming Eagle Egg there.
I have lvl4 Fools Lamnet with AP 30% but I'm barely doing any damage. I was able reach last area in 3rd door but the boss with two hammer just one shoted me.....maybe because I'm just level 34?

Juza

I have lvl4 Fools Lamnet with AP 30% but I'm barely doing any damage. I was able reach last area in 3rd door but the boss with two hammer just one shoted me.....maybe because I'm just level 34?
If you're playing on hard, this will be really challenging at your current level! unless you use defense capsules and poison word with your Spear to drain enemies' health to make it a bit easier.

Bridges

Just finished Route B, incredible experience so far.

I'd like to snatch the remaining boss speedrun achievements, but I didn't want to skip any of the cutscenes since some of them were different the second go 'round, but apparently the time spent watching the cutscenes contributes to the achievement timer, which is a bummer. For Route C, am I okay to mostly skip the boss cutscenes or will there be notable differences there as well? I'd like the achievements but don't care enough about them to potentially miss new story stuff if that's what's at stake.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Just want to share I got the platinum after 90 grueling hours.

the grind was bad

ynAuPPS.jpg

reektann

Anyone else notice Weiss is voiced by the chap who voiced War from Darksiders? It’s all I could think whenever he spoke. What’s War doing in that book!

Cyborg

I could use help on the teophy for white flower.

I have pink(6) and peach(10j seeds. I planted: peach-pink-peach-pink-peach (same order on all rows) I did set the time to -11 then saved. The I set the time to -13 and loaded my save.

no matter what I do I only see peach and pink flowers but no white

I could use help on the teophy for white flower.

I have pink(6) and peach(10j seeds. I planted: peach-pink-peach-pink-peach (same order on all rows) I did set the time to -11 then saved. The I set the time to -13 and loaded my save.

no matter what I do I only see peach and pink flowers but no white
Youre on the very last step. I just got white doing exactly what you're doing. Just have to roll the dice again. You'll get it after a few tries.

This is my first time playing this game, but I got spoiled about some stuff, now I can't get off my head that...

Nier is committing genocide at every step of the journey; Route B makes it even worse by putting context behind every boss you kill.

I feel horrible about it, and I don't really know who to blame: Devola and Popola not being honest about anything and sending Nier further into his rage; Weiss being not thinking through the whole situation; or Nier being unable to see any of the signs the Shades left during the adventures.
You ARE suppose top feel getting falcon punched for playthrough B. In short, it is really no one fault. As observer they are not suppose to intervine until there is no other choice. He choose emotion over logic. He is just an very angry dude that he doesn;t care.

Last edited:

Bridges

Finished all the routes a few days ago. I think overall, Automata is probably the better game and has a more impactful ending, but I think I actually enjoyed playing Replicant a lot more. The multiple playthroughs weren't as unique as they were in Automata, but the context they added completely changed the story and it was very interesting to see unfold. Makes me wish they'd Remaster some of the Drakenguard games. I see now that the praise Yoko Taro receives is definitely earned.

Danjin44

You ARE suppose top feel getting falcon punched for playthrough B. In short, it is really no one fault. As observer they are not suppose to intervine until there is no other choice. He choose emotion over logic. He is just an very angry dude that he doesn;t care.
The whole tragedy behind this game is no one is at fault here.

Humans had no choice but to use project Gestalt in order to survive and Replicants didn’t choose to be sentient....Project Gestalt just didn’t go as planned.

Humans had no choice but to use project Gestalt in order to survive and Replicants didn’t choose to be sentient....Project Gestalt just didn’t go as planned.
I mean, Nier did kill off the overseer and killed shadowlord. So it is ultimately his fault that the world ended. Althrough, in canon materials that some area of the world they were able to get gestalt back to the body. Althrough humanity eventually die out roughly 200-300 years later

Danjin44

I mean, Nier did kill off the overseer and killed shadowlord. So it is ultimately his fault that the world ended. Althrough, in canon materials that some area of the world they were able to get gestalt back to the body. Althrough humanity eventually die out roughly 200-300 years later
You need to look from his perspective, as far as his concern the so called "true human" are nothing more than those shadowy creatures, why should he care? He cares about his loved ones why should those "creatures" lives be more important than his own and his loved ones?

Toots

Gold Member
and as they cannot communicate with each other, they cannot understand each other. Everyone comes from a « righteous » place and is blinded by their goodwill. As the old saying goes Hell is paved with good intentions.

Having said that Taro is kind of pushing that « communication breakdown » angle to such extreme you start Rodney Kinging in front of your screen, asking « can we all just get along? » as you watch helplessly everyone destroying themselves.

Thanks man! So if it doesn’t succeed I just reload my save before I planted the seeds?
I just let them die and took the seeds to try again. You need 10 pink seeds anyway for a quest in Facade.

If you are doing the time zone trick, make sure you change the time zone before planting, then save then change time zone and reload game.

I dont know if reloading your save will work in the way you are suggesting. But I just did it a few times in a row and got 1 lunar tear on the 3rd try with that planting combination. Now I'm just replanting to build up my stockpile of lunar tears so I can sell them for 5k a piece and get the 1 million gold trophy.

Cyborg

I just let them die and took the seeds to try again. You need 10 pink seeds anyway for a quest in Facade.

If you are doing the time zone trick, make sure you change the time zone before planting, then save then change time zone and reload game.

I dont know if reloading your save will work in the way you are suggesting. But I just did it a few times in a row and got 1 lunar tear on the 3rd try with that planting combination. Now I'm just replanting to build up my stockpile of lunar tears so I can sell them for 5k a piece and get the 1 million gold trophy.
Thank! Just to be sure
1. Set timezone to -11
2. Plant seeds peach-pink-peach-pink-peach
3. Save
4. Change timezone to +13
5. Load the save (from 3)
6. If it doesnt work load a new save (backup) before I planted and played with zones

Thank! Just to be sure
1. Set timezone to -11
3. Save
6. If it doesnt work load a new save (backup) before I planted and played with zones
6. If it doesn't work I just waited until tomorrow for them to die, and harvested the seeds. I then changed the timezone again and started over at step 1.

If reloading saves worked for you before, maybe it works. I was just saying that I personally can't confirm that it works, since I just replanted the next day and tried again. After doing it that way for 2-3 days, I got it on the 3rd try. I didn't reload saves except when I was changing time zones.

Alright I finally did it. Route E, and then a painful 25 hours for the platinum. I must have something wrong with me, as I’m not usually a completionist, especially when the grind is this bad. But I love this game so much, it’s really something special. Aside from the weapon and lunar tear grind, the quests aren’t horrible (though they lack variety) because of the party banter and storylines. Automata as a game is better, but I did enjoy this story even more - the characters are so likable and the message Yoko Taro is trying to send really resonated with me.

At this point I’m gonna get lost in the lore and watch the Clemps videos. While I think there was a lot explained by ending E, I feel like there is so much more to absorb.

I just LOOOVE Kaine's fighting style.

The controls were great and really fit her character, plus they felt great to use. I would have loved if E was even longer, but it still managed to cover a lot. I still have a bunch of questions about Devola and Popola, and some of the theories that tie into Nier: Automata.

I really enjoyed the memory tree, it felt like that was the purpose all along but they just didn’t have the budget to put that part into the full game initially and ended up going with the text adventure instead.

Most importantly, if this game doesn’t win soundtrack of the year, there is no justice in the world. Song of the Ancients and it’s variants would clean up all on their own, but Kaine’s and Emil’s themes take it to another level.

Danjin44

I don't know. I liked the version with the father.
After playing this Replicant I vastly prefer the Brother Nier.....what really hit me hard is when Nier said he thought of Popola and Devola as their parents which makes the battle with them very tragic since Popola and Devola parasitically raised both Nier and Yonah, which is why if possible they didn't want fight them.

The game is clearly was made with Brother Nier in mind and it shows.

After playing this Replicant I vastly prefer the Brother Nier.....what really hit me hard is when Nier said he thought of Popola and Devola as their parents which makes the battle with them very tragic since Popola and Devola parasitically raised both Nier and Yonah, which is why if possible they didn't want fight them.

Nier’s face when he finds out Devola and Popola have lied his whole life and are betraying him. They did such a good job turning him from a battle hardened killing machine to flashing that disbelief and child-like heartbreak just by the expression and voice acting.

And speaking of the voice acting, god tier performances by all of them. Literally every line said by Grimoire Weiss is pure gold.

The Popola “stop?” scene when Devola dies is delivered so well I was taken aback.

Danjin44

Nier’s face when he finds out Devola and Popola have lied his whole life and are betraying him. They did such a good job turning him from a battle hardened killing machine to flashing that disbelief and child-like heartbreak just by the expression and voice acting.

And speaking of the voice acting, god tier performances by all of them. Literally every line said by Grimoire Weiss is pure gold.

The Popola “stop?” scene when Devola dies is delivered so well I was taken aback.
Yup, the english voice acting in this game is phenomenal and listened to Japanese voice too but I vaaaaaastly prefer the english voices here.

Last edited:
Thank! Just to be sure
1. Set timezone to -11
3. Save

How did it work out for you? I did this method and it was within only a few tries that I was able to get the white moonflower. Just had to be on time to harvest it.

Cyborg

How did it work out for you? I did this method and it was within only a few tries that I was able to get the white moonflower. Just had to be on time to harvest it.
Hi, it worked but not 100% like I described it. Speeding up time resulted always(10x) into peach/pink flowers. Then I planted the seeds and didnt speedup the time and left it grow for 24h. (Got two white flowers)

Last edited:

Komatsu

This is a common misconception, which isn't really helped by the way a lot of the gaming press depicted the development of the original game. Yes, the initial draft had envisioned Nier as a young man fighting for his sibling, but older Nier was incorporated after feedback from the Western brach of Square-Enix still during pre-production. Gestalt and Replicant were developed and released at the same time.

There are a lot of things that work better with Brother Nier: The 5 year time-skip, his low-key romance with Kainé, etc. but Part 1 and the very ending with Daddy Nier are superior. As one of the producers mentioned in a recent interview, a father/daughter bond is just more powerful than one between siblings, weird onii-san & imouto dynamics notwithstanding - and the moment when Gestalt Yonah walks out of bed saying "daddy" during the finale is absolutely GUT-WRENCHING in Gestalt. To see Daddy Shadowlord absolutely LOSE IT after seeing his daughter die is just more powerful.

I gotta say, the new Devola and Popola models kinda spoiled. I went back to my PS3 copy of Nier to check it out and they look so, so much better now.

Danjin44

This is a common misconception, which isn't really helped by the way a lot of the gaming press depicted the development of the original game. Yes, the initial draft had envisioned Nier as a young man fighting for his sibling, but older Nier was incorporated after feedback from the Western brach of Square-Enix still during pre-production. Gestalt and Replicant were developed and released at the same time.

There are a lot of things that work better with Brother Nier: The 5 year time-skip, his low-key romance with Kainé, etc. but Part 1 and the very ending with Daddy Nier are superior. As one of the producers mentioned in a recent interview, a father/daughter bond is just more powerful than one between siblings, weird onii-san & imouto dynamics notwithstanding - and the moment when Gestalt Yonah walks out of bed saying "daddy" during the finale is absolutely GUT-WRENCHING in Gestalt. To see Daddy Shadowlord absolutely LOSE IT after seeing his daughter die is just more powerful.

I gotta say, the new Devola and Popola models kinda spoiled. I went back to my PS3 copy of Nier to check it out and they look so, so much better now.
I guess everyone will different opinion on this by playing this Replicant, I like brother NieR so much.

Cyborg

Getting all the weapons at LVL 4 is a pain in the ass. I'm on the ending D path and before I go to the end I want to upgrade everything. I have a realy hard time finding/grinding
- Forlorn necklace
- Broken wristwatches
- Rusty Kitchen knives

I know the locations but it getting me nowhere. I even switched to hard but still a long way to go :( Also fck giant eggs.

wipeout364

I just finished The B run through and have gone through a bunch of the third. I think I might quit though since from what I understand you need to get all the weapons to get the D ending which is the only way to get the E play through.

Looking at the weapons it will take forever to get them all. I have enjoyed my time with the game but that kind of busywork for the core experience Is just sad. Am I correct about getting the E play through or is it available after the Completing the game three times and just getting the C ending?

Top Bottom