• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nightmare Alley impressions (major spoilers)

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I Just saw it and I was not that impressed, cooper is a promising medium/reader but he gets tricked by this psychologist lady and fucks up with a victim of his con.

It just doesn't seem true to the chracter in the first half of the film, he is a dedicated and smart guy, who aquires some mystical book of tricks (which amounts to nothing). It just does not seem plausible that he would mess up and become a bum.

Maybe im missing something. I will watch again but first impressions are not great.

However its not all bad, infact the acting is fantastic, all the main cast deliver superb performances particularly Cooper and Blanchet. The filmography is also excellent, along with set design and construction.

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of Gullimore Del Toro films but this is his weakest one to date. I either love his films or hate them.

His best: Hellboy, Hellboy The Golden Army, Pacific Rim, Pans Labyrinth, and Crimson Peak

His worst: Blade II, The Shape of Water and Nightmare Alley

I have to still watch Cronos, The Devil Backbone and Mimic though

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
It's severely letdown by the script. It really lacks clarity and it doesn't allow the film to breathe in the right spots.

I'm a big fan of Gullimore Del Toro films but this is his weakest one to date. I either love his films or hate them.

His best: Hellboy, Hellboy The Golden Army, Pacific Rim, Pans Labyrinth, and Crimson Peak

His worst: Blade II, The Shape of Water and Nightmare Alley

I have to still watch Cronos, The Devil Backbone and Mimic though

I was expecting something as clever as "The Prestige" but with del Toro's style.

Top Bottom