• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nightmare Alley Teaser Trailer (Guillermo del Toro)

In NIGHTMARE ALLEY, an ambitious carny (Bradley Cooper) with a talent for manipulating people with a few well-chosen words hooks up with a female psychiatrist (Cate Blanchett) who is even more dangerous than he is. Directed by: Guillermo del Toro Cast: Bradley Cooper, Cate Blanchett, Toni Collette, Willem Dafoe, Richard Jenkins, Rooney Mara, Ron Perlman, David Strathairn

Always a fan of the visual tone, and mood of almost every Guiellermo Del Toro film - so even if this kinda bums, it'll be eye candy at the least.

Can't help but say that I'm always a fan of his fantasy based work though, so this kinda worries me.

Javthusiast

Banned
Lets Go Reaction GIF by The Lonely Island

jason10mm

Gold Member
It looks a little Oscar baity versus what I like more from GDT but it also doesn't seem to reveal the film much (I'm hoping). I expect a much more "here is the plot" trailer clip closer to release.

sol_bad

Pacific Rim his BEST?! You really ought to check out his older films if you think that. Seriously.

I've pretty much seen them all.
Cronos, Mimic, Devil's Bone, Blade 2, Hellboy 1 and 2, Pans Labyrinth, Crimson Peak.
I saw Pacific Rim at the cinemas 8 times. Basically, ever since was a kid I wanted to see a big budget giant robot Hollywood film, and Del Toro delivered. He is as passionate about the genre as I am, probably more so.
:)

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I fucking hate the way every modern trailer is cut and formatted the same. It makes it impossible to get a sense of the actual movie being promoted when everything its edited like a Bay/Nolan epic.

Someone needs to put together a trailer for a classic like Citizen Kane or Casablanca in this style just to show how pointlessly deceptive it is.

sol_bad

I fucking hate the way every modern trailer is cut and formatted the same. It makes it impossible to get a sense of the actual movie being promoted when everything its edited like a Bay/Nolan epic.

Someone needs to put together a trailer for a classic like Citizen Kane or Casablanca in this style just to show how pointlessly deceptive it is.

It's Del Toro, it's bound to be good no matter the story.
:)

DKehoe

Did anyone see this? Just saw it today and really enjoyed it. I saw that it's done really poorly at the box office, which is a shame.

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
I can't be bothered to see things in theaters these days

Will happily peep this once I can watch it on my Xbox

Del Toro is one of the few directors currently working who I find even somewhat interesting still

DKehoe

I can't be bothered to see things in theaters these days

Will happily peep this once I can watch it on my Xbox

Del Toro is one of the few directors currently working who I find even somewhat interesting still
Give it a try when you get a chance. Definitely has that Del Toro feel. I really like his stuff too as well as being a fan of the noir genre so it was a great fit for me. Pretty dark though, so keep that in mind for when it's available.

kunonabi

Aside from the visuals and Dafoe the film was pretty middling. I actually preferred the previous adaptation. The script just felt more solid even if the ending is a bit of a cop out.

DKehoe

Aside from the visuals and Dafoe the film was pretty middling. I actually preferred the previous adaptation. The script just felt more solid even if the ending is a bit of a cop out.
I knew it was based on a book but didn't realise there was a 1947 film until I was reading up on this version after seeing it. I might check that out.

Whomever was responsible for the promotional material had me fooled. I was under the assumption it was a neo-noir crime thriller with the eponymous "Nightmare Alley" serving a huge plot point. A place where the law holds no authority, crime and prostitution are rampant as our lead detective attempts to work a case. Turns out there was no alley to speak of, the entire movie was basically The Prestige 2.0.

MV5BOTI4NDhhNGEtZjQxZC00ZTRmLThmZTctOGJmY2ZlOTc0ZGY0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTkxNjUyNQ@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg
Nightmare-Alley-Blanchett-Cooper-768x539-c-default.jpg

DKehoe

Whomever was responsible for the promotional material had me fooled. I was under the assumption it was a neo-noir crime thriller with the eponymous "Nightmare Alley" serving a huge plot point. A place where the law holds no authority, crime and prostitution are rampant as our lead detective attempts to work a case. Turns out there was no alley to speak of, the entire movie was basically The Prestige 2.0.

MV5BOTI4NDhhNGEtZjQxZC00ZTRmLThmZTctOGJmY2ZlOTc0ZGY0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTkxNjUyNQ@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg
Nightmare-Alley-Blanchett-Cooper-768x539-c-default.jpg
I mean,
the term Nightmare Alley comes up in the film as where Willem Defoe's character finds people, those who have no hope left in life, he can recruit to turn them into the geek for his act. It's not about a physical location but a state of being. The film follows Cooper's character's rise and then rapid fall to the point where at the end of the film he takes on a role as a carnival's geek something that in the beginning of the film he couldn't imagine someone agreeing to do.
So it's meaningful to the story of the film.

Last edited:

plushyp

The production values and tech were obviously better here but the older film was superior in almost all other aspects.

I mean,
he term Nightmare Alley comes up in the film as where Willem Defoe's character finds people, those who have no hope left in life, he can recruit to turn them into the geek for his act. It's not about a physical location but a state of being. The film follows Cooper's character's rise and then rapid fall to the point where at the end of the film he takes on a role as a carnival's geek something that in the beginning of the film he couldn't imagine someone agreeing to do.
So it's meaningful to the story of the film.
Yeah I found that out near the end of the film. It was supposed to be metaphorical, but I'm a little pissed as I expecting one thing and came out with another. Guess I went down nightmare alley too.

Top Bottom