• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Theory co-founder Tameem Antoniades: “‘Hellblade 2’ will make ‘Hellblade’ look like an indie game”

Under sell, over deliver

What don't these idiots understand about this? Then they complain when people criticize tf out of their projects.

It's funny..2 months ago all I heard was "Where is this game? Why are they not talking about it or showing it? Nothing sandwich! More Iceland pictures, pathetic!"

1 gameplay reveal, and 1 interview with 1 quote (comparing his new game to his prior game) later and now it's "Why you overselling it, bro?? Just be humble!"

I'm not a multi-million dollar game developer but I'm a small business owner myself and I'll be damned if anybody told me to "undersell" something that I'm selling.
That isn't how sales work, just so you know.

Also, all Ninja Theorys big projects (Heavenly Sword, Enslaved, Dmc and Hellblade) were all well-received critically, it was always sales that were the problem.
Which is why they had throw a hail mary using their own money for Hellblade in order for the studio to stay alive.

I dont recall Ninja Theory ever "complaining about people criticizing their projects" after the fact..but even if so, why on earth would you give a shit, exactly?

Last edited:

oldergamer

To be fair though, I’m a green rat myself and I’ve always thought Hellblade being made on an AA budget was a point of pride for Ninja Theory.
It was yeah, but saying this doesn't remove any prior pride they have. Its still fair to compare the new game vs the old. I don't get what people are all up in arms about. There's a lot more going into the new game, nothing wrong with stating it.

No it was literally an indie title, as in it was independently published by Ninja Theory lol
It would make more sense to say like a low budget indie game.

A game can technically have a high budget (AAA) and be indie, and a game can be also have a relatively lower budget and not be indie.
So you're claiming the creator of both games doesn't know what he's talking about? Or is it more likely I'm correct in deciphering what exactly he meant?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
To be fair though, I’m a green rat myself and I’ve always thought Hellblade being made on an AA budget was a point of pride for Ninja Theory.

Yeah it was as close as it gets for an indie to reach near-AAA production flavour. Ninja Theory guy here making himself sound stupid as the first one is indie, also shitting on your own game isn't smart. But oldgamer is Bophobic.

Last edited:

SCB3

So it actually has decent gameplay this time? Hellblade was such a strange "game" like it was trying to be a Souls ish genre game but too easy and focused more on Story and the puzzles, which is fine of course but it needs to stand out as its own thing

Although if its more like God of War 2018, thats great!

supernova8

Banned
Jealousy. Insecurity. Projection.
This is NeoGaf.
Jealous of? I'm envious of Kojima for having the brilliant mind to create the Metal Gear Solid series but......... Tameem Letsgotothemountainsandscreamandmakeavideoaboutiades ... no. Not at all.

Plus this is not an Xbox thing (remember Ninja Theory did the PS3 exclusive Heavenly Sword), he's just a pretentious prat.

Last edited:
Jealous of? I'm envious of Kojima for having the brilliant mind to create the Metal Gear Solid series but......... Tameem Letsgotothemountainsandscreamandmakeavideoaboutiades ... no. Not at all.

It's funny you brought up Kojima.

All the people in this thread who call Hellblade "just a point A to point B walking simulator with basic combat and good visuals" are literally describing Death Stranding.
...Surely that brilliant masterwork is worthy of getting a sequel, right? 😊

That's all I'm gonna say..as I'll probably get reported if I continue to reply to you.

Hellblade 2 is going to be amazing. I wish all you haters the strength to deal with that. 💪

It was yeah, but saying this doesn't remove any prior pride they have. Its still fair to compare the new game vs the old. I don't get what people are all up in arms about. There's a lot more going into the new game, nothing wrong with stating it.
Very true. I've said it before I think this is MS answer to God Of War. Big Budget action game with a strong narrative and high end graphics

Very true. I've said it before I think this is MS answer to God Of War. Big Budget action game with a strong narrative and high end graphics

Though I can't wait to see how the combat has evolved, it's not an answer to anything 1 to 1.
Senua isn't some overpowered god-puncher like Kratos, a wielder of technology like Aloy, nor does she shoot zombies.

It is however a similar offering, genre-wise (a single player, third person, narrative driven game)..just with unique subject matter and under Microsoft's management.

The comparisons will be made though (along with other 1st party third-person offerings like Fable, Project Midnight from Compulsion and even Gears 6)..it'll be fun.

supernova8

Banned
It's funny you brought up Kojima.

All the people in this thread who call Hellblade "just a point A to point B walking simulator with basic combat and good visuals" are literally describing Death Stranding.

That's all I'm gonna say..as I'll probably get reported if I continue to reply to you.

Hellblade 2 is going to be amazing. I wish all you haters the strength to deal with that. 💪
You'll notice how I specifically mentioned Metal Gear Solid only. I completely agree that Death Stranding seems to be garbage ("seems" because I've watched enough of it and do not care to give Kojima my money for it).

I'm sure Hellblade 2 will be a good game (I wouldn't go as far as "amazing") but that doesn't make Tameem any less of a pretentious shit.

Hell, I just recently got myself a Game Pass (for PC) membership. I'm not anti-Xbox, I just think Tameem is fucking lame.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

That argument is reductive to the point of absurdity. No that does not describe Death Stranding in any shape or form.

For a kick-off it completely misses the point that DS is basically a strategy/resource management game! Its almost never about just reaching point x, its about transporting cargo point-to-point across a dynamic and challenging world efficiently. And the game gives you tons of tools with which to accomplish this in variety of ways; for instance you can focus on building infrastructure to allow mass or rapid transportation, or you can carefully route-plan in order to minimize hazardous situations and terrain whilst equipping carefully but lightly.

Point A to B suggests linearity when the game is free-form. Walking suggests that terrain isn't a major consideration when its front-and-centre as a major challenge to be overcome. Basic combat suggests that there isn't a heavy emphasis on stealth, or that lethality in encounters isn't disincentivized harshly. And even then you have to kinda ignore the fact that you do in fact get a wide variety of weapons, both human and monstrous enemies to fight, including boss encounters that are mostly set on dynamically rising and falling islands of safety within seas of black tar.

I could go on, but the point is simple; DS is a game with more "gameplay" than most third person action titles, its just that traditional combat isn't the primary focus. Kojima was not bullshitting about it being basically a new sub-genre; its a genuinely original creation. And one that looks, sounds, and plays absolutely brilliantly if you enjoy the strategy and planning aspect.

So, unless your position is that gameplay begins and ends with fighting stuff, your analogy is dead wrong.

Flutta

Banned
Played the first game and all i can say is that its one of the worst game i’ve ever played. The sequel seems to be the same shit they served us with the first time.
Nice graphics tho..

That argument is reductive to the point of absurdity. No that does not describe Death Stranding in any shape or form.

For a kick-off it completely misses the point that DS is basically a strategy/resource management game! Its almost never about just reaching point x, its about transporting cargo point-to-point across a dynamic and challenging world efficiently. And the game gives you tons of tools with which to accomplish this in variety of ways; for instance you can focus on building infrastructure to allow mass or rapid transportation, or you can carefully route-plan in order to minimize hazardous situations and terrain whilst equipping carefully but lightly.

Point A to B suggests linearity when the game is free-form. Walking suggests that terrain isn't a major consideration when its front-and-centre as a major challenge to be overcome. Basic combat suggests that there isn't a heavy emphasis on stealth, or that lethality in encounters isn't disincentivized harshly. And even then you have to kinda ignore the fact that you do in fact get a wide variety of weapons, both human and monstrous enemies to fight, including boss encounters that are mostly set on dynamically rising and falling islands of safety within seas of black tar.

I could go on, but the point is simple; DS is a game with more "gameplay" than most third person action titles, its just that traditional combat isn't the primary focus. Kojima was not bullshitting about it being basically a new sub-genre; its a genuinely original creation. And one that looks, sounds, and plays absolutely brilliantly if you enjoy the strategy and planning aspect.

So, unless your position is that gameplay begins and ends with fighting stuff, your analogy is dead wrong.
Totally agree about ds.
At the same time I don't think it's ok to strip hellblade to it's basics either. I enjoyed it greatly as a package.

Played the first game and all i can say is that its one of the worst game i’ve ever played. The sequel seems to be the same shit they served us with the first time.
Nice graphics tho..
What's this smell? Is it... *sniff sniff*

... an alt-account?

Flutta

Banned
Just look at his short post history. He came in swinging like a fully grown console warrior.

Lmao still hurt for calling you out? Damn, what a pathetic fragile little individual you are. You must be living a very sad life.

I’ve been on this site for a long time, i just havent been active, i mean i got a life outside of Neogaf compared to likes of you.

They're enjoying the ride. No rush to make games.

I think the issue is more like it was revealed WAY too early. If it's a 2024 release (which is very likely), that'll be five years between the initial reveal and release.

Yeah, TLOU2 had a similar time gap, but times were different then, PS as a platform had a lot of 1P AAA releases in the meantime and the brand was very healthy, it Naughty Dog had been proven themselves by that point.

I don't think those factors are at play for Xbox or Ninja Theory but hey, when it's ready it's ready. I hope it lives up to (or exceeds) the hype.

-Zelda-

Banned
Captured reality? Boring. If I wanted that, I would try to (and fail at due to agoraphobia) going outside and/or turning on the news.

Beechos

How long has this game been in development? Feels like forever and all we have seen since the announcement trailer is what looks like a pre boss fight cinematic.

" mental illness simulator"

thats pretty funny

Angry Bbc Two GIF by BBC

Bragr

Banned
I forgot about this game.

Wasn't the idea of the "new" Ninja Theory to avoid big triple-A games and long dev cycles? they talked about making smaller games and whatever, they were all about it.

Did they get some of that Microsoft money and made the project bigger?

kungfuian

Not to be that guy but the last few weeks we've heard that perfect dark development is going great, fable is doing great, hellblade 2 is going to be great...

It's almost like Xbox knows they have no games this holiday and have mandated their devs to remind everyone of what is coming in the absence of actually releasing tangible fucking games. Feels like check box board room meeting levels of PR.

Dear Microsoft, shut up and release some bangers already. Your fans are starving.

Side note- cant wait see how hellblade turns out. Loving the art style of their early builds.

Did they get some of that Microsoft money and made the project bigger?
This actually worries me. I still feel as if 343 just sat around earning a paycheck and kept making things bigger and bigger so they took longer and longer so they keep getting that paycheck.
I suspect Bethesda and Starfield are in similar mode.
Thats how roads in America Work. Nothing truly gets finished, it takes forever just to get started, big money is spent, and it's a never-ending cycle.
Microsoft is the American Road construction of the Video Gaming world.
Just traffic cones as far as the eye can see, Money being spent every day, big machines doing alot of beeping but nothing actually being built.

Meanwhile, there's this Tollway that was finished years ago and I can travel to my destination really fast, but damn is it expensive.
Sony is the current Tollway.

Not to be that guy but the last few weeks we've heard that perfect dark development is going great, fable is doing great, hellblade 2 is going to be great...

It's almost like Xbox knows they have no games this holiday and have mandated their devs to remind everyone of what is coming in the absence of actually releasing tangible fucking games. Feels like check box board room meeting levels of PR.

Dear Microsoft, shut up and release some bangers already. Your fans are starving.

Side note- cant wait see how hellblade turns out. Loving the art style of their early builds.
Of course it seems that way, when in fact the both times they mentioned Fable and Perfect Dark, were when they were asked about it in interviews. It's not like they released some PR article "to remind people that the games' development was going well."

As for Ninja Theory; they've always been updating their respective social media pages with content and updates from time to time.

Ozriel

M$FT

During an interview, you ask the head of XGS about games in development. He talks about them and gives a status update.

Then someone on the internet comes up to wail about ‘devs’ going on PR rounds.

This actually worries me. I still feel as if 343 just sat around earning a paycheck and kept making things bigger and bigger so they took longer and longer so they keep getting that paycheck.
I suspect Bethesda and Starfield are in similar mode.
Thats how roads in America Work. Nothing truly gets finished, it takes forever just to get started, big money is spent, and it's a never-ending cycle.
Microsoft is the American Road construction of the Video Gaming world.
Just traffic cones as far as the eye can see, Money being spent every day, big machines doing alot of beeping but nothing actually being built.

Meanwhile, there's this Tollway that was finished years ago and I can travel to my destination really fast, but damn is it expensive.
Sony is the current Tollway.

Discourse has now moved to ‘I’m worried xbox is funding their games too much’

You can’t make this up 😂

yurinka

So at least another year until release? Fuck.
Acording to the game director they expected to complete the vertical slice by the end of last year and after that they'd move to production. So maybe they started production early this year or late the previous one. If this is supposed to be a AAA game, pretty bigger than the previous one, it will have more than a year or production.

How long has this game been in development? Feels like forever and all we have seen since the announcement trailer is what looks like a pre boss fight cinematic.
Less than a year of production until now. Until last year they made preproduction, and the UE5 game engine wasn't available until this year.

Last edited:

kungfuian

During an interview, you ask the head of XGS about games in development. He talks about them and gives a status update.

Then someone on the internet comes up to wail about ‘devs’ going on PR rounds.
Well as long as those interviews aren't carefully placed in the interest of PR, which we know never happens, then id say you're right. Nothing to see here.... everything's coming along just great.

Top Bottom