• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Theory dev on Hellblade II demo It's all real-time, no tricks

fallingdove

The only other I've known to have their work questioned for it looking so good, that it couldn't be real time is Naughty Dog with TLOU2.

Is Ninja theory on the level of Naughty Dog? I tend to think that Ninja Theory still has to prove itself in some respects, but in terms of sheer quality of the production...Xbox has something that can nearly match a Sony Studio.

Never woulda seen it coming...
Ninja Theory needs to meet Ubisoft’s level of production before they have a shot at Naughty Dog.

Credit where credit is due - Ninja Theory have some amazing artists and a talent for putting together cutscenes but everything else they do is average.

MadPanda

Banned
Yes, it's "gameplay" and yes it's "real time", but they should stop fucking with us. That is a heavily scripted, limited scene. The technology is impressive and I'm sure the game will look great, but that's again not representative of the gameplay.

Unless, you know, the entire game is running away from giants to throw shit at them.

Yeah, like that chase scene in uncharted 4? was it also a heavily scripted, limited scene not representative of the gameplay? come on, of course they'll use some special scenes to promote a game, nobody does promotion with mundane things.

Topher

Gold Member
I think it’s more the fact that neogaf has more Sony supporters. So Sony gets less criticism because there are not as many Xbox supporters.

I don't know if that is or is not the case. Xbox seems to be well-represented around here. Either way, this idea that Sony gets a pass is just a flat-out lie.

That, or MFs are simply drinking a bunch more "Kool aid" 'round these parts!

irony GIF

So you are just going to pretend that people haven't given Returnal shit for its save game mechanism or the main character's design? How about those who continually downgrade Spider-Man: Miles Morales as "just DLC"? How about those saying "Ratchet and Clank is no different from any other Ratchet and Clank"?

I've read those criticisms and many more about Sony's games on these very forums multiple times by multiple posters and that's just from the last year. But obviously there is "so much shit" that Sony got a pass on that has never been discussed cuz of all the "Kool aid" drinking. So let's hear it. What is all this "shit" Sony got a pass for on GAF?

Last edited:
People critique reveals from MS studios far more then they do sony studios it seems. I don't see criticisms like this in every game thread.
Yeah ok. Like walk simulators is’t a common bs fallacy thrown at Sony exclusives. This game looks like it plays exactly like its predecessor. Something between Beyond:Two Souls and Order 1886. Which is cute for a indie. Idk how that holds up for some kind of AAA showcase.

That being said Hellblade (1), Heavy Rain, Until Dawn all were praised so it can work. But they dangerously passing the line of being interactive tech demos.

Hellblade would be amazing if I knew the visuals would be accompanied with fun gameplay. All I am gettting is The Order 1886 disappointment vibes.

Ninja Theory needs to meet Ubisoft’s level of production before they have a shot at Naughty Dog.

Credit where credit is due - Ninja Theory have some amazing artists and a talent for putting together cutscenes but everything else they do is average.
Nothing about that trailer is average, show us these high levels of production Unbisoft has? All their games I've played are janky as hell.

Ozriel

M$FT
So you are just going to pretend that people haven't given Returnal shit for its save game mechanism or the main character's design? How about those saying "Ratchet and Clank is no different from any other Ratchet and Clank"?

Man, it’s utterly weird to imagine the response to Returnal’s terrible save system as a fanboy or console warz driven thing. I’d even argue that it’s fanboyism that drove the illogical defense of what was objectively poor design. There’s a reason why the devs fixed that.

Well, now I know why many of you kept demanding that Housemarque kept the game as-is, even when it was incredible inconvenient for many people to play it that way. People actively cutting off their noses to spite their faces. Shameful.

A lot of the critique I’ve seen of Ratchet being similar to the previous games also comes from PlayStation fans. Same way I’ve seen Xbox fans admit that Forza Horizon 5 isn’t dramatically different from the previous entries.

Ozriel

M$FT
Hellblade 1 has a Metacritic rating of 81%. Opencritic of 84% with 81% of top critics recommending

Order 1886 has a Metacritic rating of 63%. Opencritic of 62%. Only 16% of critics recommended the game.

Given that the sequel promises to be bigger, have much better visuals and MUCH better combat, I have to assume that the constant comparison to the Order 1886 in this thread are either from mischief or the influence of crack/alcohol.

Topher

Gold Member
Man, it’s utterly weird to imagine the response to Returnal’s terrible save system as a fanboy or console warz driven thing. I’d even argue that it’s fanboyism that drove the illogical defense of what was objectively poor design. There’s a reason why the devs fixed that.

Well, now I know why many of you kept demanding that Housemarque kept the game as-is, even when it was incredible inconvenient for many people to play it that way. People actively cutting off their noses to spite their faces. Shameful.

A lot of the critique I’ve seen of Ratchet being similar to the previous games also comes from PlayStation fans. Same way I’ve seen Xbox fans admit that Forza Horizon 5 isn’t dramatically different from the previous entries.

Who said the criticism had to be fanboy "driven"? The opinions (subjective, not objective) on Returnal's save system are evidence that Sony doesn't just get a "pass". That's the entire point here.

What is this "many of you" nonsense? I've never played Returnal and thus, have offered no opinions on the game at all.

And yes, Ratchet and Clank received the same criticism as Forza Horizon 5 from quite a few. No "passes" given.

Last edited:

It's difficult on GAF, because even justified criticism can be warring or being understood as warring and also some minor things are being dramatized. I remember the Halo release: "Is it just one biome? OMG there is just one biome!! Is it true that there is just one biome?". I'm team Xbox (till the release of PSVR2) and i got shit for simply mentioning that the Halo campaign is really short. I mean it's a fact and people can't get over it.

Mobilemofo

Yeah, like that chase scene in uncharted 4? was it also a heavily scripted, limited scene not representative of the gameplay? come on, of course they'll use some special scenes to promote a game, nobody does promotion with mundane things.

they should do actually. imagine promoting hellblade 2 with the lead character walking, and then doing her shoe laces up. breaking wind slightly as she does. then standing up and picking her nose, before inspecting it, and flicking it in the air, before shooting it. (fade to black) lol.

Ozriel

M$FT
Who said the criticism had to be fanboy "driven"? The opinions (subjective, not objective) on Returnal's save system are evidence that Sony doesn't just get a "pass". That's the entire point here.

What is this "many of you" nonsense? I've never played Returnal and thus, have offered no opinions on the game at all.

And yes, Ratchet and Clank received the same criticism as Forza Horizon 5 from quite a few. No "passes" given.

I misread your earlier post. My bad.

It's a problem because Hellblade doesn't have that thingy in the bottom right corner.
The problem ain't the watermarked logo seen in the corners of those "gameplay" sequences. The problem is the people who were in every single playstation exclusive gameplay video, complaining & ranting about the games being walking simulators with movie-like, cinematic, scripted action set pieces with limited player interactivity and calling these games bland & boring. Now suddenly, when the shoe is on the other foot(Xbox does it), it's met with praise by the same people who bashed games of that style in the past.

The amount of flip-flopping on display is staggering. These people asked for Xbox to take a note off of Playstation's playbook and attempt to replicate it, that's the result of that replication, only this time Playstation isn't only excited, it's ecstatic, because they know that their formula has infected other publishers who have already started to follow suit in replicating that exact formula. These people demanded that their favourite corporation follow suit, and now studios like The Initiative & Ninja Theory are what resulted from that demand. You get what you ask for, only now the mantra has changed from "it's not ok when team blue does it, but it sure as hell is cool when team green does". You can smell this hypocrisy from miles away.

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
Lets cut to the chase here and say it as it is, gameplay wise, this could be a stinker but those six minutes of footage showed a game that graphically at least blows the competition out of the water. For once I'm not warring, but it looks better than Demons Souls, it looks better than Ratchet & Clank and that's the main problem here.

The only visually equal/comparable game imo is Zero Dawn 2.

Green rats 180 on cinematic heavy games is almost as hilarious as the blue cockroaches 180 on crossgen games after jimbo erased the we believe in generations narrative...

This gen is gonna be so much fun.
Since when is blue cockroaches a thing? Saw yesterday a Phil Spencer meme with blue coackroaches that i probably shouldn't post here and now this.

Hellblade 1 has a Metacritic rating of 81%. Opencritic of 84% with 81% of top critics recommending

Order 1886 has a Metacritic rating of 63%. Opencritic of 62%. Only 16% of critics recommended the game.

Given that the sequel promises to be bigger, have much better visuals and MUCH better combat, I have to assume that the constant comparison to the Order 1886 in this thread are either from mischief or the influence of crack/alcohol.
I think The Order was unfairly damaged because it was an early exclusive that was very short. There was a lot of attention on it, and people weren't happy that it was only a few hours long. There's no way that it should have a review score down near Anthem levels.

If we have a dispregiative name for the xboys, we also need one for the soners.

It is all in good spirit, people in here get sarcasm (i hope)
Yeah i know, it's Xbots (green rats on GAF thanks to Kretos), Nintendrones and Sony Ponies, but i thought i missed something with the cockroaches.

xPikYx

Lets cut to the chase here and say it as it is, gameplay wise, this could be a stinker but those six minutes of footage showed a game that graphically at least blows the competition out of the water. For once I'm not warring, but it looks better than Demons Souls, it looks better than Ratchet & Clank and that's the main problem here.

The only visually equal/comparable game imo is Zero Dawn 2.
Not even close mate, hellblade 2 is on another league

GymWolf

Yeah i know, it's Xbots (green rats on GAF thanks to Kretos), Nintendrones and Sony Ponies, but i thought i missed something with the cockroaches.
That was just me thinking something slightly offensive in the animal realm.

Rats and cockroaches are usually considered similarly bad :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
The only other I've known to have their work questioned for it looking so good, that it couldn't be real time is Naughty Dog with TLOU2.

Is Ninja theory on the level of Naughty Dog? I tend to think that Ninja Theory still has to prove itself in some respects, but in terms of sheer quality of the production...Xbox has something that can nearly match a Sony Studio.

Never woulda seen it coming...
I don't think they're even close.

Regardless of how many people feel about TLOU 2, the in-game cutscenes they were able to pull off are still just about the very best in the industry. Not only that, the amount of detail they put in the gameplay mechanics is still just about the best.

Markio128

Yeah but rats are cuter and they can pass for overgrown hamsters, good luck on finding a lovable owner if you are a cockroach.
I don’t know, they are almost part of the family when I’ve been on holiday in Tenerife 😆 and I’d rather see a cockroach in the bath, than a rat!

Still not impressed by these scripted gameplay, Ninja Gaiden 2004 has more depth, I see this game as another Ryse son of Rome scenario. Also film grain is disgusting even if your game looks like real life. I'm going to be critical because according to them this is an action game.

As a fan of action games I agree with your overall sentiment, but the first game had pretty decent combat, and I thought it was overall a good game for what it was (a $30 budget game).

If the sequel is gonna be a blockbuster $60 game though, I think it really needs to step it up with the enemy varieties and maybe more weapons or something.

PJX

I don't think they're even close.

Regardless of how many people feel about TLOU 2, the in-game cutscenes they were able to pull off are still just about the very best in the industry. Not only that, the amount of detail they put in the gameplay mechanics is still just about the best.
Ohhhhhh going to have to disagree with you on that there. I've played games with gameplay just as good or better than anything ND has done. I'm not sure how people think they are an industry standard or something. I'm not really impress by them. I'm more impressed with studios like Insomniac, Santa Monica, The Coalition and Playground / Turn 10.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Ohhhhhh going to have to disagree with you on that there. I've played games with gameplay just as good or better than anything ND has done. I'm not sure how people think they are an industry standard or something. I'm not really impress by them. I'm more impressed with studios like Insomniac, Santa Monica, The Coalition and Playground / Turn 10.
I didn't say their games have better gameplay, I said the amount of detail they put into their gameplay. This includes character animations, physics, etc.

PJX

I didn't say their games have better gameplay, I said the amount of detail they put into their gameplay. This includes character animations, physics, etc.
And like I've said, I've seen better. Just take a look at any Capcom game as an example.

Last edited:

Beechos

I think The Order was unfairly damaged because it was an early exclusive that was very short. There was a lot of attention on it, and people weren't happy that it was only a few hours long. There's no way that it should have a review score down near Anthem levels.
The order was so underrated, i actually enjoyed it and wish there was sequel. I was ok with the length not everything has to be super long open world collectathons. The production values were top notch, cool story, atmosphere, cover shooting. Biggest gripe for me was the slow walking segments to get from point a to point b. I would rather have a sequel to the order than gears at this point. But my god the amount of nitpicking from a short trailer is crazy.

FingerBang

Dude, you and a other people keep bringing the same scene up and I have already replied that that too is not representative of the gameplay. It doesnt show what the game looks like when you play it, it's heavily scripted. It's like taking a call of duty on rail section to represent the game. Am I saying the game won't look this good for the rest of it? No. I'm just saying I'd like to see some proper gameplay, not scripted stuff

But also, why the fuck do you keep bringing up Uncharted and other Sony games? Do you have a comment of mine saying that that Uncharted scene was representative and this isn't?

Last edited:

PJX

I just can't take that seriously if you think Gears 5 character animations are on par with The Last of Us Part IIcharacters.
Where did I compare Gears 5 character animations to TLOU characters animations? They are two games that play totally different that will require different set of animations.

Fredrik

The order was so underrated, i actually enjoyed it and wish there was sequel. I was ok with the length not everything has to be super long open world collectathons. The production values were top notch, cool story, atmosphere, cover shooting. Biggest gripe for me was the slow walking segments to get from point a to point b. I would rather have a sequel to the order than gears at this point. But my god the amount of nitpicking from a short trailer is crazy.
I liked it too, the lycan fights were trash and the final boss too but the shooting was meaty with solid cover shooting. One of the better designs too, everything from characters, to clothes, weapons and scenery was top notch. I wanted a sequel as soon as I saw the credit screen.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Where did I compare Gears 5 character animations to TLOU characters animations? They are two games that play totally different that will require different set of animations.
You said you have seen better, so I can only name Gears. You can disagree if you want. That's on you.

Beechos

So funny, unreal engine 5 threads normally full of pc can't do this or that ad naseum. In here it looks too good must be running on a pc..............
Its crazy cause we all have proof that stuff like this can be done by the recently released matrix demo on both ps5 and xbox in realtime with full controls.

Top Bottom