• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendi FY 22-23 Q2 Earnings Report, Hardware 3.25M, 114.33M LTD.

Nintendo's earnings report for the 2nd quarter of the fiscal year ending March 31st 2023 has been published, this covers the three month period from July 1st to September 30th 2022. The Nintendo Switch sold 3.25 million units of hardware and 54.00 million units of software bringing lifetime totals to 114.33 million for hardware and 917.59 million for software.

Year over year quarter 2 hardware sales are 15% (0.58 million) down from 3.83 million and software sales are 11% (5.40 million) up from 48.60 million.

Four titles sold over 1 million units this quarter - New releases Splatoon 3 (7.90 million), Xenoblade Chronicles 3 (1.72 million) plus Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (1.59 million) and Nintendo Switch Sports (1.31 million).

Nintendo have lowered their forecast from 21 million to 19 million hardware units and maintain their forecast of 210 million software units shipped for the current fiscal year.

Thj8Vis.png

Hardware

Switch Hardware Q2:
3.25m
Regional Split Q2: Japan 1.01m , America's 1.29m, Europe 580k, Other 370k
Model Variants Q2: Standard 910k, Lite 330k, Oled 2.01m

Switch Hardware Total: 114.33m
Regional Split Total: Japan 26.96m, America's 44.59m, Europe 29.29m, Other 13.50m
Model Variants Total: Standard 85.61m, Lite 19.32m, Oled 9.33m

Global Shipment History

0GsbFWG.png

Software

Switch Software Q2:
54.00m
Regional Split Q2: Japan 12.66m, America's 20.56m, Europe 16.94m, Other 3.85m
Tie Ratio Q2: 16.62

Switch Software Total: 917.59m
Regional Split Total: Japan 175.08m, America's 406.97m, Europe 266.39m, Other 69.15m
Tie Ratio Total: 8.03

Global Shipment History

wiM6rfw.png

Nintendo reports sales data for software charting in the top 10 or that has sold one million or more units within the current fiscal year (from 1 April 2022).

Software Top 10

Total sales followed by sales added to the total in Q2

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: 48.41m + 1.59m

Animal Crossing: 40.17m + 790k

Smash Bros Ultimate: 29.53m + 710k

Zelda BOTW: 27.79m + 650k

Pokémon Sword/Shield: 25.37m + 870k

Mario Odyssey: 24.40m + 470k

Super Mario Party: 18.35m + 290k

Pokémon BD/SP: 14.92m + 130k

Ring Fit Adventure: 14.87m + 330k

Pokémon Let's Go: 14.81m +150K

New Releases

Splatoon 3:
7.90m

Xenoblade Chronicles 3: 1.72m

Other

Pokémon Legends Arceus:
13.91m + 1.27m (Q1+Q2)

Mario Party Superstars: 8.07m + 1.19m (Q1+Q2)

Switch Sports: 6.15m + 1.31m

Kirby ATFL: 5.27m + 740k

Mario Strikers Battle League: 2.17m + 260k

Million Sellers not updated this Quarter (1st Party)

New Super Mario Bros U:
13.31m

Splatoon 2: 13.30m

Luigi Mansion 3: 11.43m

Super Mario 3D World: 9.43m

Super Mario 3D All-Stars: 9.07m

Super Mario Maker 2: 7.89m

Legend of Zelda LA: 6.08m

Mario Tennis Aces: 4.28m

Clubhouse Games: 4.22m

DKC Tropical Freeze: 4.12m

Hyrule Warriors AOC: 4.00m

Kirby Star Allies: 3.98m

Legend of Zelda SS: 3.91m

Fire Emblem TH: 3.82m

1-2 Switch: 3.63m

Paper Mario Origami King: 3.34m

Yoshi's Crafted World: 3.01m

Metroid Dread: 2.90m

New Pokémon Snap!: 2.74m

Arms: 2.66m

Xenoblade Chronicles 2: 2.44m

Mario Golf Super Rush: 2.35m

Pikmin 3 Deluxe: 2.23m

Captain Toad TT: 2.13m

Octopath Traveller: 2.08m

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: 1.89m

Miitopia: 1.68m

Xenoblade Chronicles DE: 1.68m

Big Brain Academy Brain vs Brain: 1.59m

Mario Kart Live Home Circuit: 1.58m

Pokkén Tournament DX: 1.54m

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: 1.50m

Astral Chain: 1.28m

Wario Ware Get it Together!: 1.27m

Dr Kawashima's Brain training: 1.20m

Game Builder Garage: 1.06m

Bayonetta 2: 1.04m

Fire Emblem Three Hopes: 1.00m

– Net sales this period – 656.9 billion yen
– Operating profit this period – 220.3 billion yen
– Ordinary profit this period: 322.4 billion yen

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/hard_soft/index.html
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/software/index.html

Quarterly and yearly sales of Nintendo Switch compared to other successful platforms.

Cs4xxks.png

Fiscal Year - 1st April to 31st March
Quarter 1 - 1st April to 30th June
Quarter 2 - 1st July to 30th September
Quarter 3 - 1st October to 31st December
Quarter 4 - 1st January to 31st March

Last edited:
GwT40pd.png

Due to the slightly disappointing hardware sales and record Q2 software sales the tie ratio this quarter was an insane 16.62
and pushes the Nintendo Switch over a total tie ratio of 8.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
I honestly expected that XC 3 would have done 2 million by now, but it is still the best franchise debut by ~30%, and we are now going into the holidays, which should help XC sell an extra 500k. Excellent result regardless.

Go_Ly_Dow

XC3 :messenger_fire: - special game.

Probably at about 2mil when factoring in Q3-Q4.

In run up to the expansion (prequel or sequel) late next year and price discounts should see it go above XC2 sales imo and the game is perfect for a remaster/upgrade release for Switch 2. Bodes well for the future of the franchise.

daclynk

wow just wow. Switch is a BEAST when is comes to Software. Now release a new or reboot or Remake of Golden Sun you Cowards. i will take anything Golden Sun Nintendo.

daclynk

That's a hefty drop in hardware compared to previous years. I guess the Switch finally is winding down. Seems more likely now that it won't quite reach PS2 numbers, especially if there is a successor next year.
They are going to Sell more Hardware because of Pokemon coming this holiday. so add another 10-12 million OLED models to it. and TOTK next year with a potential 2D Mario and 2.5D Donkey Kong. i see them releasing a pro model though.

Edit sorry for double Post.

Last edited:

PeteBull

one more price cut is incoming and I hope they are really working on that 4k switch model.
I would be super happy if the specs were in the ballpark of where xss from end of 2020(so 2years ago) is, and not even for the switch but for stationary complementary console only, switch games finally would stop looking like xbox360/ps3 resolutionwise when docked(dont care how nasty they look in handheld mode since i prefer to not play it that way.

TLZ

Banned
Nintendo should keep selling the switch as long as they can so that the leap to the switch 2 is significant.
That is bad business. You don't wait til the hardware dies to release new hardware. There's life expectancy and there's also declining sales. You want to bring the next one out while the current one is in decline, but not dead. Then keep supporting and selling the old one until it stops printing money, along with the new hype machine.

TLZ

Banned
They are going to Sell more Hardware because of Pokemon coming this holiday. so add another 10-12 million OLED models to it. and TOTK next year with a potential 2D Mario and 2.5D Donkey Kong. i see them releasing a pro model though.

Edit sorry for double Post.
10-12mil in holidays? Are you joking? It simply cannot sell more than its peak holidays 2 years ago.

Regional Hardware Shipments

ZSTRWdG.png

Regional Software Shipments

kX6YV00.png

For hardware as expected Europe fell this quarter. It seems Europe shipments are erratic, one quarter they're good and then the next
quarter they tank. For software every region did great apart from Other which was a bit down.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
It’s winding down at last, and people expecting that significant of a hardware sales boost from Pokémon are misguided. The Switch has a gazillion Pokémon games, if anyone was interested they have the console at this point. Tears of the Kingdom isn’t going to sell hardware to the people who haven’t budged until now, not a few of those will probably just emulate it. Quite safe to say that PS2 won’t be beaten after all.

Kabelly

Splatoon 3 baby! It hurts they ruined the map design so hard for 3 though. Hopefully the news ones are more varied and they update the current ones.

scydrex

That is bad business. You don't wait til the hardware dies to release new hardware. There's life expectancy and there's also declining sales. You want to bring the next one out while the current one is in decline, but not dead. Then keep supporting and selling the old one until it stops printing money, along with the new hype machine.
Why? Sure it's selling less than before but is it selling bad or having low sales? It's selling more than Xbox no? The Ps5 now just sold more for the first time than the switch. Also nintendo fans or gamers don't care about graphics or powerful hardware. Why would they released a Switch 2 if their customers don't care.

They can make a slimmer or a new revision to the switch. The switch haven't event recieved a price cut. Nintendo can cut the price by $50 for all the models.

They don't have a choice at this point.
2023 is absolutely prime time for them to release new hardware. If it's not a successor, some kind of meaningful upgrade. Like New 3DS was to 3DS. I'm sure I'm not the only person who's still holding onto my launch Switch from March 2017, waiting for a true upgrade.

I just know that as soon as I throw my hands in the air and get an OLED, they will announce a Super Switch. So, I've waited this long. I can wait a bit longer.

I do think first half 2023 there will be new hardware. Switch peaked in 2020/2021 and is clearly on the downward trajectory. And also, their holiday lineup this year is literally just Pokemon and Bayonetta. That's thin. I know they had a good 2022, but holiday 2022 is thin. To me that indicates they are prepping for something big in 2023 other than TotK.

And they also haven't announced their big end of fiscal year game for March that they always have, so maybe they are planning new Switch hardware alongside a still-unannounced big game.

Last edited:
TitleJapanOverseasTotalJP/GlobalData as of
Splatoon1.79M3.16M4.95M36.2%Dec 2020
Splatoon 25.11M8.17M13.30M38.4%Mar 2022
Splatoon 35.01M2.89M7.90M63.4%Sep 2022

Splatoon 3 has almost matched Japanese lifetime shipments of Splatoon 2 in one quarter and it also has a ridiculous Japan to global ratio of 63.4%. It should change over the next quarter though because overseas regions will not be as frontloaded as Japan.

Last edited:
So switch is finally slowing down. I wonder if PS2/NDS numbers are still possible
pzmn5oB.jpg

Although sell-in (sold to retailers) numbers are down 580k year on year the sell-through (sold to consumers) is practically the same which means either they overshipped last year or they can't produce enough to satisfy demand this year, it is probably a bit of both.

Surprised their financials are higher than last years, but most are from foreign exchange gains and we didn't have any notable big releases last year.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
It’s winding down at last, and people expecting that significant of a hardware sales boost from Pokémon are misguided. The Switch has a gazillion Pokémon games, if anyone was interested they have the console at this point. Tears of the Kingdom isn’t going to sell hardware to the people who haven’t budged until now, not a few of those will probably just emulate it. Quite safe to say that PS2 won’t be beaten after all.
Nah. People has this notion that PS2 and DS got to where they got before their successor launched. They did what they did selling 5 to 10 million for 3 or 4 years straight after the 3DS and the PS3 launched.

It all depends if Nintendo keeps producing units after the Swotch 2 launches. But the Switch being the best selling console of all time is extremely likely, more so than ever.

Kataploom

Gold Member
With the sales figures, we can expect the Switch 2 in 2030 at the earliest.
Let's have a Switch 1.5 then, that should be enough to me for now lol

Btw I don't see any updates to Metroid Dread sales, was it updated this quarter? The game just seems to have boosted sales the last few months or so I see at least

Ronin_7

Banned
Nintendo made nearly 2 times more profits than PlayStation in this year. They still have at least 2 years to sort that out.

Nintendo 2022 = ~$2.5 billion
PlayStation 2022 = ~$1.3 billion
Apples to Bananas, One sells premium hardware at a loss, other sells a Potato at a massive profit.

scydrex

Apples to Bananas, One sells premium hardware at a loss, other sells a Potato at a massive profit.
Also games with low budget and sell it for $60. That dosen't mean they are bad games but they make huge profit on games too. Never going for less than $50.

sandbood

Banned
Nintendo wasn't to blame for PlayStation losing money on their hardware sales.

Not all of this is hardware.
Sony uses 3rd party titles' loyalty fees, GAAS, and services for profit-making while Nintendo focuses on first-party games with low development budgets. Nintendo's strategy ultimately resulted in greater financial success.

Calendar Year Shipments

F6m1eWc.png

osmpO4i.png

For the Calendar Year Switch hardware is at 10.79 million after three quarters compared to 13.00 million in 2021, it needs 9.21 million in CYQ4 to reach 20.00 million for 2022. Switch software after three quarters is at 151.18 million compared to 148.67 million in 2021, this is the highest it's ever been and needs 82.90 million in CYQ4 to beat 2021's total.

Last edited:
Top Bottom