• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendi FY 22-23 Q2 Earnings Report, Hardware 3.25M, 114.33M LTD.

Gambit2483

Certainly not a new console. Anyone hoping for a Switch 2 to launch alongside TOTK or in 2023 at all is in for a disappointment.
The fact they pushed TotK out to May (8 months delay) for "reasons" with no new major Software announced to release before that (I don't consider FE:Engage to be a Marquee title) signals that TotK is being "pisitioned" as a title and not just launching when it's done.

Also why the hell would they pull another Skyward Sword and launch a new Zelda locked to a console in its decline, instead of doing a dual launch like BOTW, which has proven to practically carry an entire new system at launch and beyond?

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
TitleJapanOverseasTotalJP/GlobalData as of
Splatoon1.79M3.16M4.95M36.2%Dec 2020
Splatoon 25.11M8.17M13.30M38.4%Mar 2022
Splatoon 35.01M2.89M7.90M63.4%Sep 2022

Splatoon 3 has almost matched Japanese lifetime shipments of Splatoon 2 in one quarter and it also has a ridiculous Japan to global ratio of 63.4%. It should change over the next quarter though because overseas regions will not be as frontloaded as Japan.
Marketing, baby

Certainly not a new console. Anyone hoping for a Switch 2 to launch alongside TOTK or in 2023 at all is in for a disappointment.
We say that every year. And up to now I've completely agreed. But, Nintendo knows how to run their console business. And they're reliant on one system now, so they no longer have another platform that's newer to bolster sales while they work on a successor to an older one. So I'm sure they've made plans for how to keep business strong as the original Switch and it's spec fades and becomes old. I would guess, at the very least, a Super Switch that can run games better, is planned. I don't think they'll splinter their base and confuse people with making games that don't work on original Switch. But they've got to do something, because Switch is old, it's performance in a lot of newer releases has gotten really, really bad. Release a $399 Super Switch, and I'm there. If it's to tide people over until a successor is ready in 2025, that is totally fine. But if sales are falling this year, imagine the sales decline next year if they don't have new hardware.

I guess they could always do a Gamecube Mini and a Wii mini like they did at the end of 3DS/ Wii U to carry hardware sales during the transition period, but Switch is strong enough I think it should get an upgraded higher-spec revision in 2023, while they spend the next 2-3 years going to town on a full successor.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
The fact they pushed TotK out to May (8 months delay) for "reasons" with no new major Software announced to release before that (I don't consider FE:Engage to be a Marquee title) signals that TotK is being "pisitioned" as a title and not just launching when it's done.
It's not "for "reasons"", the game just wasn't ready to launch, we've seen a lot of game delays throughout the year because of development issues and Zelda is no different. And Nintendo doesn't really have a lot of major software released in the first 5 months or so of a year, remember 2018? 2019? 2021? This year?
Also why the hell would they pull another Skyward Sword and launch a new Zelda locked to a console in its decline, instead of doing a dual launch like BOTW, which has proven to practically carry an entire new system at launch and beyond?
Because for once the Switch isn't having a steep decline like the Wii was in 2011. The fact that they're supporting MK8D (the biggest title on the console) with new content releasing until late next year helps the idea that there won't be a Switch 2 in 2023.

also, if it was going to be released in 6 months, we would have known by now.

Last edited:
also, if it was going to be released in 6 months, we would have known by now.
Switch was unveiled Oct 26 and released March 3. And you could make a strong case for why the gap between announcement and release didn't even need to be that long, honestly.

You may be right, but I don't think the argument that "we'd have heard by now" is a good indication at all for Nintendo's 2023 plans. I think a better indication is no major holiday title developed in-house, and a thin slate for holiday 2022 with only Pokemon and Bayonetta. And still no announced big end of fiscal year game for March announced yet, either. To me, it's clear they have a lot more to show for early-mid 2023 beyond TotK and Fire Emblem.

Or, the slate for the next nine months is thin, because they are planning for something big end of year 2023 or early 2024. Could be either one. It seems pretty clear to me that they punted on holiday 2022 and released as little as possible. TotK literally doesn't need a marketing cycle to start for it until like March, so what are they doing from now-March?

Last edited:

Oberstein

Ring Fit Adventure: 14.87m + 330k

b24c89047c56b0ab9b6ec4227aebdb802b362a8e.gifv

nial

Gold Member
Switch was unveiled Oct 26 and released March 3. And you could make a strong case for why the gap between announcement and release didn't even need to be that long, honestly.
I mean, we already knew the NX was coming in 2017.
You may be right, but I don't think the argument that "we'd have heard by now" is a good indication at all for Nintendo's 2023 plans. I think a better indication is no major holiday title developed in-house, and a thin slate for holiday 2022 with only Pokemon and Bayonetta.
Not weird for Nintendo, same thing happened in both 2020 and 2021. As I already said, they just delayed Zelda because of development issues, nothing else.
And still no announced big end of fiscal year game for March announced yet, either. To me, it's clear they have a lot more to show for early-mid 2023 beyond TotK and Fire Emblem.
And Nintendo doesn't really have a lot of major software released in the first 5 months or so of a year, remember 2018? 2019? 2021? This year?
Or, the slate for the next nine months is thin, because they are planning for something big end of year 2023 or early 2024. Could be either one. It seems pretty clear to me that they punted on holiday 2022 and released as little as possible.
We didn't even know most of their 2022 lineup until February. Same will happen next year and heck we already know 4 first-party games releasing in 2023.
TotK literally doesn't need a marketing cycle to start for it until like March, so what are they doing from now-March?
Marketing Fire Emblem and Kirby.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Nintendo should keep selling the switch as long as they can so that the leap to the switch 2 is significant.
I think it has 2 years of great sales ahead. BOTW2 should provide a decent boost.
Yes. Not only that but I think Nintendo learned their lesson with the WiiU. And that is, you have to launch hardware with great software day 1.

It is gonna take a while to get the right software done. There is still a lot of focus on the current Switch.

Mozza

That's a hefty drop in hardware compared to previous years. I guess the Switch finally is winding down. Seems more likely now that it won't quite reach PS2 numbers, especially if there is a successor next year.
Not a massive drop to be honest, and if you take the pandemic year out of the equation, the Switch is still selling a lot of units for a console this late into it's lifecycle.

there were actually more ps5’s shipped last quarter than Nintendo switch’s.

Nintendo needs to start winding down before they lose sales momentum, just make sure the new device is backwards compatible.

If they wait until 2024-2025 we might already have current gen pro consoles out

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
Switch will top out at 120 or 125 mill, that's it. I won't reach PS2 numbers.
Still, this is already a huge success.
Its going to sail past those numbers , even if it drops as hard as the ps4 130 million is the lowest the switch will end, Nintendo stuff tends to linger so topping ps2 /ds is no easy task its possible if Nintendo handles the twilight years perfectly

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Also games with low budget and sell it for $60. That dosen't mean they are bad games but they make huge profit on games too. Never going for less than $50.
Nintendo’s 1st party games go on 33-50% sales several times a year digitally.

Woopah

[/URL]

Could be ok ? Or
Star Wars GIF

Tbh I look forward to hearing about all the ported to mobile Nintendo games I won’t be playing.
Its good news. Nintendo's announcement about this doesn't mention "mobile" or "smartphone" at all, but instead says "the objective to strengthen the digitalization of Nintendo's business, the joint venture company will research and develop, as well as create value-added services to further reinforce Nintendo’s relationship with consumers."

Mobile games will still play a part, but it looks like the main aim of the joint venture is to improve Nintendo's online offerings and get more subscribers and Nintendo accounts. Nintendo knows they suck at anything related to online so are bringing in some help
They don't have a choice at this point.
Hardware sell-through was only down by a small amount and software sales are up. I do think we see new hardware from them next year but they definitely "have a choice"
It’s winding down at last, and people expecting that significant of a hardware sales boost from Pokémon are misguided. The Switch has a gazillion Pokémon games, if anyone was interested they have the console at this point. Tears of the Kingdom isn’t going to sell hardware to the people who haven’t budged until now, not a few of those will probably just emulate it. Quite safe to say that PS2 won’t be beaten after all.
Sales will still wind down, but title like Pokémon and Zelda can still slow down the decline. I can see people who picked up the Sword & Shield Lite upgrading to the Scarlet & Violet OLED

You may be right, but I don't think the argument that "we'd have heard by now" is a good indication at all for Nintendo's 2023 plans. I think a better indication is no major holiday title developed in-house, and a thin slate for holiday 2022 with only Pokemon and Bayonetta. And still no announced big end of fiscal year game for March announced yet, either. To me, it's clear they have a lot more to show for early-mid 2023 beyond TotK and Fire Emblem.

Or, the slate for the next nine months is thin, because they are planning for something big end of year 2023 or early 2024. Could be either one. It seems pretty clear to me that they punted on holiday 2022 and released as little as possible. TotK literally doesn't need a marketing cycle to start for it until like March, so what are they doing from now-March?
Its not the best holiday they've ever had but its Pokemon and Bayonetta are not a "thin slate". Its better than 2020 and comparable to what they had in 2017 and 2021, especially when you consider that had Splatoon 3 in September.

I also don't think Nintnedo is too concerned about whether game is "in-house" or not considering the majority of their games are not "in-house"
Switch will top out at 120 or 125 mill, that's it. I won't reach PS2 numbers.
Still, this is already a huge success.
Switch will be over 120 million by the end of this year. 130 million is the bare minimum it gets to lifetime.

Banjo64

cumsessed

Mario Kart 8 and Smash Ultimate proved they can just launch Tears of the Kingdom next year and then an upres port in a few years and millions will double dip. Hell, Skyward Sword HD had sold the same number as the original Wii version (3.6m) exactly 12 months ago, it’s probably at over 4.5m now.

TLZ

Banned
Why? Sure it's selling less than before but is it selling bad or having low sales? It's selling more than Xbox no? The Ps5 now just sold more for the first time than the switch. Also nintendo fans or gamers don't care about graphics or powerful hardware. Why would they released a Switch 2 if their customers don't care.

They can make a slimmer or a new revision to the switch. The switch haven't event recieved a price cut. Nintendo can cut the price by $50 for all the models.
I didn't say now. I just replied to the other poster that Nintendo shouldn't rely on Switch sales solely til it dies. They wouldn't be making enough money in its last years, plus they wouldn't want to wait til the Switch hype wave disappears.

With Nintendo Switch about to pass DS and Wii in total software sales i have gone through Nintendo's earnings reports and compiled yearly software sales for each platform, unfortunately i can't find any software data before the N64.

cRbZsZG.png

* Two quarters remaining of FY6 for Nintendo Switch, forecast to sell 210 million (very conservative).

By the end of FY 10 Nintendo DS software totaled 946.97 million, it since sold an additional 1.79 million units.
By the end of FY10 Nintendo Wii software totaled 917.85 million, it has since sold an additional 4.00 million units.
By the end of FY 10 Nintendo 3DS software totaled 386.48 million, it has since sold an additional 3.38 million units.

Last edited:

Woopah

With Nintendo Switch about to pass DS and Wii in total software sales i have gone through Nintendo's earnings reports and compiled yearly software sales for each platform, unfortunately i can't find any software data before the N64.

cRbZsZG.png

* Two quarters remaining of FY6 for Nintendo Switch, forecast to sell 210 million (very conservative).

By the end of FY 10 Nintendo DS software totaled 946.97 million, it since sold an additional 1.79 million units.
By the end of FY10 Nintendo Wii software totaled 917.85 million, it has since sold an additional 4.00 million units.
By the end of FY 10 Nintendo 3DS software totaled 386.48 million, it has since sold an 3.38 million units.
Switch software is peaking far far later than previous platforms. I wouldn't be surprised if their FY7 software sales are higher than the FY7 software sales of all the previous platforms combined.

Switch software is peaking far far later than previous platforms. I wouldn't be surprised if their FY7 software sales are higher than the FY7 software sales of all the previous platforms combined.
This could be the biggest software year for Switch, 235 million last year will be hard to beat but Pokemon could give it the edge. The software data shows just how far ahead the DS, Wii and Switch are compared to Nintendo's other platforms, no other Nintendo platforms sold 100 million software in a fiscal year.

Last edited:
When Switch was new it was like "please, please just port everything to Switch". The last few years, especially since I got a Series X, it's like, "eeh maybe ill play it on a more powerful system so it doesn't run like hot garbage."

It sucks that big recent Nintendo games like Pokemon are stuck on this outdated hardware that clearly cannot handle these newer games in a pleasant-to-play state. I'm concered than ToTK is gonna make me want to hold off even playing it until Nintendo releases some updated hardware.

C'mon, Nintendo... it's been a very long time since Switch came out, your games need new hardware. It's time.

Last edited:

Woopah

TThis could be the biggest software year for Switch, 235 million last year will be hard to beat but Pokemon could give it the edge. The software data shows just how far ahead the DS, Wii and Switch are compared to Nintendo's other platforms, no other Nintendo platforms sold 100 million software in a fiscal year.
This will definitely be their best platform for software, and the next one could be even better if they improve third party support.

When Switch was new it was like "please, please just port everything to Switch". The last few years, especially since I got a Series X, it's like, "eeh maybe ill play it on a more powerful system so it doesn't run like hot garbage."

It sucks that big recent Nintendo games like Pokemon are stuck on this outdated hardware that clearly cannot handle these newer games in a pleasant-to-play state. I'm concered than ToTK is gonna make me want to hold off even playing it until Nintendo releases some updated hardware.

C'mon, Nintendo... it's been a very long time since Switch came out, your games need new hardware. It's time.
I think there's a very good chance we get a more powerful Switch sometime next year, or early 2024 at the very latest.

Neff

That's false the GBA had the shortest life span of any Nintendo hardware before being replaced, it was June 2001 to November 2004 so just three and a half years.

No I mean they held the GBA back even though it was more or less ready because the Game Boy was still selling well. The DS was the opposite, being rushed into production due to Nintendo having a panic attack over PSP. Hence the short lifespan.

Sales completely dried up?

Not completely dried up no but they kept Game Boy on the market as their sole handheld despite having its successor fully developed.

shiru

Banned

I can't think of any recent Nintendo title that felt held back or 'unpleasant to play'. Pokemon is made by Game Freak, whose technical incompetence is legendary.

Top Bottom