• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo ‘is very excited about 2022’ and Zelda likely on track, it’s claimed

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

IGN’s chief content officer Peer Schneider claimed in the latest IGN Games podcast that he was able to catch up with industry sources following this month’s The Game Awards, who assured the journalist over the company’s absence from the show.

“It does sound like Nintendo is going to have a pretty good year next year,” Schneider said (transcribed by Games Radar).

“So, I would not take the absence of big stuff [at The Game Awards] as a sign that maybe Breath of the Wild is delayed or that they don’t have other stuff, because it sounds like… people at Nintendo are very excited about 2022.”

Woopah

Right now their announced first party line-up will be something like this:

Q1: Pokémon Legends: Arceus + Triangle Strategy
Q2: Kirby and the Forgotten Land & Advance Wars 1 +2 Reboot Campe
Q3: Splatoon 3 & Bayonetta 3
Q4: BOTW 2

So that's 7 games already and Nintendo usually publishes more than 10 a year, so we can expect at least 3 more titles for 2022. I'd say Xenoblade 3, a Fire Emblem game and a new expanded audience game are the most likely candidates, but there could be other surprises

2022 is going to be lit. Has the potential to be one of the greatest gaming years of all time. Or at least since 1998.

Agreed. Between them Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo are going to have the best combined first party line up in a long long time. And then we'll have the third parties on top of that.

blacktout

Everything listed here has either already been announced or heavily rumored, which makes it the most useless kind of leak since it fails to tell us anything new or provide us with any way to verify whether or not the "leaker" actually has access to insider information.

Deerock71

Hopefully they improved Zelda BotW 2 a lot.
After how many tens of millions copies sold? You're like Wile E. Coyote standing on air, waiting for the inevitable.
fail looney tunes GIF

Joey.

Right now their announced first party line-up will be something like this:

Q1: Pokémon Legends: Arceus + Triangle Strategy
Q2: Kirby and the Forgotten Land & Advance Wars 1 +2 Reboot Campe
Q3: Splatoon 3 & Bayonetta 3
Q4: BOTW 2

So that's 7 games already and Nintendo usually publishes more than 10 a year, so we can expect at least 3 more titles for 2022. I'd say Xenoblade 3, a Fire Emblem game and a new expanded audience game are the most likely candidates, but there could be other surprises

Agreed. Between them Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo are going to have the best combined first party line up in a long long time. And then we'll have the third parties on top of that.
That’s already one heck of a line up.
Just give me Q1: Pokémon Arceus Q2: Kirby Q3: Splatoon 3 Q4: BotW 2
And I’ll be more than happy :D

Robb

Gold Member
They do have a pretty killer lineup, even without Zelda. We already know about new major installments in Pokémon, Splatoon, and Kirby alongside Bayonetta, Advance Wars, Mario+Rabbids.

I’m really hoping Zelda makes it though..
I Hope Please GIF

They do have a pretty killer lineup, even without Zelda. We already know about new major installments in Pokémon, Splatoon, and Kirby alongside Bayonetta, Advance Wars, Mario+Rabbids.

I’m really hoping Zelda makes it though..
I Hope Please GIF

I actually want Zelda in 2023, 2022 is way too stacked, not just Nintendo, even from 3rd parties.....I know I will be busy with Elden Ring most of the year, so BOTW2 in 2023 will be better....plus Nintendo can take as much time as they like for the sequel to one of the greatest game of all time

Lognor

Banned
How the hell is Botw2 taking so long? I'll be shocked if it doesn't release next year. I would have thought spring but with how silent Nintendo has been I'm guessing Q4 at this point.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
2022 is indeed looking good.

But I need something from Monolith Soft - That teased new IP or Xenoblade Chronicles 3 preferred, but XCX port would be welcome

I also need more Fire Emblem.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

On February 2, Nintendo gave a presentation for its investors, naming much of its upcoming launch schedule, including first-and-third-party games. This includes confirmed release dates for the recently-released Pokemon Legends: Arceus, Kirby and the Forgotten Land, Triangle Strategy, and more, as well as general 2022 release windows for Splatoon 3, Bayonetta 3, and Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope.

Among the latter games was the mention of “the sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild,” reaffirming once more Nintendo’s dedication to releasing the game this year. Hopefully, when at its next showcase, fans finally get a proper title for Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2, but at the very least, confirmation by Nintendo that this is still in the cards should provide some relief to fans.

nush

Gold Member
Among the latter games was the mention of “the sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild,” reaffirming once more Nintendo’s dedication to releasing the game this year. Hopefully, when at its next showcase, fans finally get a proper title for Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2, but at the very least, confirmation by Nintendo that this is still in the cards should provide some relief to

"Dedication" doing all the heavy lifting in this statement.

ManaByte

When the N64 Smash Bros released in Japan, Nintendo of America passed on localizing it for the US. Matt & Peer at IGN had been playing the import and managed to convince NOA to change their minds and bring it over because they knew it'd be a huge hit. Had they not done that, NOA would've never released the game in the US and the franchise wouldn't be what it is today.

Ezquimacore

Banned
I wouldn't count it as a reaffirmation. The dates used in these investor reports are almost always the latest publicly available information.
I don't think they gonna delay Zelda unless there's a switch 2/pro next year, and according to their latest interview we are not going to see a switch 2 at least until 2024. Zelda is the big boy of 2022.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I don't think they gonna delay Zelda unless there's a switch 2/pro next year, and according to their latest interview we are not going to see a switch 2 at least until 2024. Zelda is the big boy of 2022.
They have Metroid and Odyssey 2 ready for their next gen system. 5 years to work on a game in the same engine that started out as ideas for DLC really should be enough. Besides they need to start teasing the next Zelda if they plan to release it before 2030.

Ezquimacore

Banned
They have Metroid and Odyssey 2 ready for their next gen system. 5 years to work on a game in the same engine that started out as ideas for DLC really should be enough. Besides they need to start teasing the next Zelda if they plan to release it before 2030.
Teaser before summer and a few screenshot to prepare the hype, real reveal in June, release date November 2022.

Woopah

I don't think they are going to delay it either, but people shouldn't take the date used in their financial report as "reaffirmation".

blacktout

I wouldn't count it as a reaffirmation. The dates used in these investor reports are almost always the latest publicly available information.

This. Every time Nintendo releases one of these quarterly release schedules, it's completely devoid of new information and every time people try to extrapolate a narrative from it. I guess it's refreshing that this time around its not the usual "game X is cancelled/delayed, because Nintendo didn't update its release date!" narrative, but it's no more correct.

Skelterz

When the N64 Smash Bros released in Japan, Nintendo of America passed on localizing it for the US. Matt & Peer at IGN had been playing the import and managed to convince NOA to change their minds and bring it over because they knew it'd be a huge hit. Had they not done that, NOA would've never released the game in the US and the franchise wouldn't be what it is today.
Nice I know peer has been at it for a long time
Before it was officially Called IGN or whatever nice story.

Top Bottom