• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS and Wii u eShop shutting down in march of 2023

Arthimura

I think Wii U eShop won't be missed, since the install playerbase was always small and the main games were ported to Nintendo Switch.

But 3DS eShop being closed is sad, so many great games that cannot be played anywhere else.

Jennings

Dayum, I still actively USE my 3DS and regularly buy games! What about purchased games I want to redownload? Gah

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
We lost a few really good games when the Wii Shop closed, like Konami's Rebirth games, but the 3DS shutting down is a big loss. Tons of good games only came out on the eshop. The WiiU had some really good ones, too, like Pushmo World. WiiU's shop shutting down might be the bigger loss since so few people realized how good that system was at the time.

urmie

Nintendo purposely ended Virtual Console so that your purchases do not transfer over. They locked everything behind a sub to Switch Online, where you can’t buy/download any of the games, just rentals.

Games media have a hard time giving Xbox a W on anything, despite their many pro-consumer moves, Xbox BC truly becomes untouchable at this point. “Buy once, yours forever” is something Phil Spencer said and should be the default. If some Nintendo zealots didn’t fawn over everything they do, and games media put more criticism on Nintendo, perhaps anti-consumer things like this would stop.

SegaShack

Nintendo purposely ended Virtual Console so that your purchases do not transfer over. They locked everything behind a sub to Switch Online, where you can’t buy/download any of the games, just rentals.

Games media have a hard time giving Xbox a W on anything, despite their many pro-consumer moves, Xbox BC truly becomes untouchable at this point. “Buy once, yours forever” is something Phil Spencer said and should be the default. If some Nintendo zealots didn’t fawn over everything they do, and games media put more criticism on Nintendo, perhaps anti-consumer things like this would stop.
Yeah Nintendo shutting down the Wii shop was such a jerk move. They wanted to resell each VC game to people on each system (and now its sub based).

Weird how people dont get outraged at losing all the generations of games from these shops, but did so at the PS3 shop. Glad Sony kept it running.

Deerock71

So I have a finish line for my WATA rated copy of Devil's Third and it's worth.
Jerry Seinfeld Lol GIF

We'll see if this sparks outrage. I sold my 3DS and Wii U a few years ago so I don't personally care about this. I knew Nintendo has kept finding excuses to conveniently forget your purchases on older systems. In the past they might have gotten away with it due to claims of archaic online accounts and systems, but now that we're paying for it they better not pull the same stunt again.

Deerock71

We'll see if this sparks outrage. I sold my 3DS and Wii U a few years ago so I don't personally care about this. I knew Nintendo has kept finding excuses to conveniently forget your purchases on older systems. In the past they might have gotten away with it due to claims of archaic online accounts and systems, but now that we're paying for it they better not pull the same stunt again.
They're giving everybody over 12 months of a head's up. That's plenty of time for everyone looking to buy new software on those systems to get what they're going to get, then it's all physical, baby.
Olivia Newton-John GIF

nush

Gold Member
Got roughly 600$ worth of stuff left to grab so I appreciate the heads-up.

GBA Games on WiiU and GB games on 3DS. The WiiU gamepad becomes the ultimate GBA player all ports are by M2 so you know that quality is there. Nintendo don't show a lot of love for their older handheld library, I doubt that's going to change any time soon.

So I have a finish line for my WATA rated copy of Devil's Third and it's worth.
Jerry Seinfeld Lol GIF
I was going through my stuff for a move and saw I had 2 copies of devils third… I was like wtf. Still haven’t played it, but it looked like it’s so bad it’s good kinda game lol.

Definitely got everything I want off the eshop long ago but I should double check if I have everything downloaded.

Grechy34

This would be absolutely fine if Nintendo's offerings were better since the Wii but they've been progressively worse.

TidusYuna

It is time to start compiling a list of games and DLC that we must get before it closes. For me, it is a few virtual console titles on the 3ds and a bunch of 3ds DLCs. Had to do it for the Vita/PS3 digital only games and DLC. Sadly, we knew this day would come.

This highlights the life of digital games for those who prefer it. Eventually, the servers WILL go down and you will be locked out of your digital content. When available, always go physical.

cireza

Banned
Fuck this. I guess I will be buying the Hyrule Warriors DLC soon. Also Wii U is the best console to play GBA and there are a ton of games in the eshop.

SMT4 is digital only in Europe and many Altus games are simply impossible to find at decent price. SEGA AGES games are digital only with the exception of one collection that we got physical (out of 3). And there are many more like this.

Orbital2060

I havent played any of the SMT, and was just looking on the store. Is Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE the only related game on the console? And the rest on 3DS?

Anything we should buy before it all goes?

This has me wondering what will happen with Pokemon Bank. The Switch version Pokemon Home is pretty shit and locks the pokemon into the switch eco system not allowing them to go back to the 3DS.

I'd like to know what the plan is going to be with Pokemon Bank as I still actively use it.

UPDATE: Looks like they'll be making Pokemon Bank a free service once the eShop is closed down in 2023. Guessing the Pokemon company are going to be bank rolling the upkeep.

Last edited:

spons

Gold Member
This is the bright, perfect, flawless digital only future! Access will never go away!
Access isn't going away. Even the original Wii shop is still running. You just can't purchase stuff anymore. Considering the Switch and 3DS support MicroSD cards, you can download everything you have a license for and store it longer than these devices survive.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
No more virtual console? Sad. Maybe they will change their mind just like Playstation had to with PS3/Vita stores recently

It still baffles me how Nintendo haven't put a VC on the switch. I'd probably buy a switch for the nostalgia hit if I could buy and download old NES, SNES and N64 games.

Anything we should buy before it all goes?
If we're talking exclusive 3DS games:

Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology
The Pokémon games if you're a fan
Dragon Ball Z Ultimate Butouden
Bravely Default I & Second Layer
Fire Emblem Awakening
Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies
Project X Zone 2
Kid Icarus
Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

TidusYuna

• As of August 29, 2022, it will no longer be possible to use a Nintendo eShop Card to add funds to an account in Nintendo eShop on Wii U or the Nintendo 3DS family of systems. However, it will still be possible to redeem download codes until late March 2023.
So after August 29th, we won't be able to use eshop cards for 3DS and Wii U eshop. :(

Daytonabot

Banned
This is one reason that I watch Nintendo Directs with the Steam client open, so that I can add the vast majority of third-party announcements to my wishlist from a company that actually values its customers' prior purchases.

Top Bottom