• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Is Still Amazing

BryceNobody

Are these things rare these days? I'm looking into getting one now.
You guys sold me on it.
Purchased + imported a new Japanese 2DS XL for just over $200 a few months ago. A good quality, used 3DS is only around $100-$120, sometimes cheaper. I’ve easily sunk more hours into a 3DS than any current gen console this year.

Worth the plunge.

Last edited:

OuterLimits

The amount of Atlus games make it an awesome system to me anyway. I still need to play Etrian Odyssey Nexus and the Persona Q games.

Both 3DS and Switch have stellar JRPG libraries, although it sucks the output by Atlus dropped significantly from the 3DS.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
It was great. I miss the 3D effects.

TLZ

Banned
I was hoping I'd be able to play these on the Switch through BC since the carts are similar, but that didn't happen :(

The 3DS is still, to this day, the system I take with me EVERYWHERE. Even walking to another room in my house. The glassesless 3D is still amazing and its a shame there will be nothing like it ever again. I just wanted to give it some love on here and see if there are others that feel the same. On to what makes it really special, the games.

jSoIILJ.jpg

Ocarina of Time. My favorite game of ALL TIME. Remade. In 3D. What a spectacular release. I remember when Nintendo announced it as just a little logo lost among other 3DS games on a powerpoint slide and like a 3 second clip in a montage during e3 and I was like WAIT WHAT?? HOLD ON WHAT DID I JUST SEE?? Then the reports started coming in with photos of its remade graphics and it was AMAZING. I had tears in my eyes because my GOAT was just announced on a system with cutting edge technology(Im a total gadget geek) and as a Nintendo fan we never get a technologically advanced system. I must’ve played this non stop over and over 30 times. Diving into the Zora pond to dive for the rupees in 3D was stunning. I wouldn’t believe i entered my favorite videogame world in 3D with all the classic music and the feels coming back, riding Epona around with the tree swooshing by, brought back so many young memories I had. Then to fight Ganon in 3D, holy crap. I loved it.
6pqBmss.jpg

Majoras Mask. Are you kidding me?! They gave us that too, remade in 3D?? That intro song and just the whole vibe of the game is my happy place.
tlZlfhd.jpg

The sequel to a Link to the Past-Link Between Worlds. What the heck???? I couldn’t believe this release. an old geezers dream came true. And it was SPECTACULAR. What an adventure to go back to that world with all new things to do.
yxwFj23.jpg

Kid Icarus Uprising- talk about an epic game made for a handheld. I remember getting to the end and being so blown away with the ending and how you beat the main boss.
umX3Dvu.jpg

Super Mario 3D Land - seeing mario jump in 3D for the first time was really cool. And the game was a blast.
o4VdGH0.png

Starfox 64 3D - i remember the original I had got with the rumble pack on n64, what an experience that was. I was like, I dont need to go to arcades anymore. To see flying a ship in 3D with the stars and barrel rolls, shooting, what a blast. With 1 cartridge local multiplayer, i played this so much with my cousins. So much fun.

yhmGjh6.jpg

The first game I bought on launch was street fighter 3D and that was really sick even though Im not much of a fighting fan. I remember showing it to my brother and mom and they both didn’t like the 3D. I was blown away and they were just like its blurry, its no good. They didn’t get it & I was so surprised. How could you not see how awesome this is?!?

SRUK4lI.jpg

The AR games were pretty fun too. Very innovative.

I just wish they continued and we would’ve got a higher resolution 3DS 2. Also, the analog stick still feels better then the Nintendo Switch’s stick. Anyhoo, who else has fond memories ( or current ones ) with the 3DS?
Modding it makes it so much better

nush

Gold Member
Definitive versions of all the Sega Ages games

It's the killer app series that proves the value of the 3D. Yes, Nintendo, your former competitors titles did a better job off selling the concept than you did yourselves. Also helps that these were under the loving development of retro gods M2. The only fly in the ointment is that some titles were locked to the cartridge collection releases meaning that you had to double dip to get them.

Nintendo didn't even put one Virtual Boy title on the 3DS, that should have been a no brainer remake but at least M2 did put out a 3D Master System game on the 3DS.

Apocryphon

I really enjoyed Super Mario 3D Land, Snake Eater, and RE: Revelations, but then platform did lack content compared to the DS.

Would you guys buy a 3DSwitch?

GeekyDad

Let's put it this way, between (mostly) my 3DS (and being able to also throw my DS cards in it) and my PSP, I've barely touched any other new system. I've still got the Metroid Switch game sitting in the wrapper from Christmas.

Haters gonna hate, but yeah, OP, just having the ability to go from one room to another without having to put your system down, or to be able to play prime Zelda titles on it -- put 300+ fucking hours into Monster Hunter III Ultimate (with the CPP) -- and I can play fucking Resident Evil games whilst on the shitter. I'm sorry, fuckers, it's an amazing system, and still continues to be. Maybe it doesn't have the breadth of library the original DS has, but there are still more games on it I wanted to play but couldn't afford to play.

It ended up being a great system, despite a rocky start. Lots of good exclusives! RPG and visual novel central. Sad to say it’s going to be expensive to collect for the foreseeable future.

Super Mario 3D Land is the most underrated game in the series. It actually inocorporated the depth of the 3D effect in clever ways in its gameplay. It is way better than that trash 3D world on Wii U/Switch.

F31 Leopard

My favorite thing was Street Pass! It was so fun taking it around with me and seeing who I’d get. I used to work at a very busy airport so I’d get people from all over the world.

Such a neat little game system. It’s sad that the big 3 are all just conventional game systems now. I miss the gimmicks even if they were, well, just gimmicks sometimes.
Yup Street Pass was the shit. My brother and I used to go to the mall walking back and forth for hours just to collect street passes from tourists. (I from Hawai'i) I was bummed Street Pass wasn't brought over to Switch.
OCWL3kc.jpg
3IlJiIB.jpg
1Fd6vWQ.jpg
QOtH2qU.jpg

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The 3DS is still, to this day, the system I take with me EVERYWHERE. Even walking to another room in my house. The glassesless 3D is still amazing and its a shame there will be nothing like it ever again. I just wanted to give it some love on here and see if there are others that feel the same. On to what makes it really special, the games.

jSoIILJ.jpg

Ocarina of Time. My favorite game of ALL TIME. Remade. In 3D. What a spectacular release. I remember when Nintendo announced it as just a little logo lost among other 3DS games on a powerpoint slide and like a 3 second clip in a montage during e3 and I was like WAIT WHAT?? HOLD ON WHAT DID I JUST SEE?? Then the reports started coming in with photos of its remade graphics and it was AMAZING. I had tears in my eyes because my GOAT was just announced on a system with cutting edge technology(Im a total gadget geek) and as a Nintendo fan we never get a technologically advanced system. I must’ve played this non stop over and over 30 times. Diving into the Zora pond to dive for the rupees in 3D was stunning. I wouldn’t believe i entered my favorite videogame world in 3D with all the classic music and the feels coming back, riding Epona around with the tree swooshing by, brought back so many young memories I had. Then to fight Ganon in 3D, holy crap. I loved it.
6pqBmss.jpg

Majoras Mask. Are you kidding me?! They gave us that too, remade in 3D?? That intro song and just the whole vibe of the game is my happy place.
tlZlfhd.jpg

The sequel to a Link to the Past-Link Between Worlds. What the heck???? I couldn’t believe this release. an old geezers dream came true. And it was SPECTACULAR. What an adventure to go back to that world with all new things to do.
yxwFj23.jpg

Kid Icarus Uprising- talk about an epic game made for a handheld. I remember getting to the end and being so blown away with the ending and how you beat the main boss.
umX3Dvu.jpg

Super Mario 3D Land - seeing mario jump in 3D for the first time was really cool. And the game was a blast.
o4VdGH0.png

Starfox 64 3D - i remember the original I had got with the rumble pack on n64, what an experience that was. I was like, I dont need to go to arcades anymore. To see flying a ship in 3D with the stars and barrel rolls, shooting, what a blast. With 1 cartridge local multiplayer, i played this so much with my cousins. So much fun.

yhmGjh6.jpg

The first game I bought on launch was street fighter 3D and that was really sick even though Im not much of a fighting fan. I remember showing it to my brother and mom and they both didn’t like the 3D. I was blown away and they were just like its blurry, its no good. They didn’t get it & I was so surprised. How could you not see how awesome this is?!?

SRUK4lI.jpg

The AR games were pretty fun too. Very innovative.

I just wish they continued and we would’ve got a higher resolution 3DS 2. Also, the analog stick still feels better then the Nintendo Switch’s stick. Anyhoo, who else has fond memories ( or current ones ) with the 3DS?
I was not sold on its price and specs, but when I actually played Zelda: TOoT remake at a mall before launch I was hooked. 3D effect was real. The console had DS BC and had lots of charm. So did the Wii U.

The Switch, while it is a great console for what it enables and it is successful, does not have much Nintendo charm in its UI and system built in apps. Apple is the same in its modern OS UI’s too, more and more sterile :/.

wondermega

Love the 3DS - I only ever had the original one, and therefore it simply gets uncomfortable to play after a little bit (I guess I should have got the newer model at some point, but I have a nostalgic attachment to my existing one and besides.. do I really need more stuff?) I never went too hard on a bunch of the games, but I scooped up all the Sega 3D classics (I love the machine for those alone!) and of course there's so many other great modern day games on there as well. I really need to grab Snake Eater at some point.

I thought it was great that Nintendo bet the farm on a weird gimmick like that so far down the line - disappointed that it kind of ran into a wall, but for what we got I was very satisfied. Mighty Switch Force, Mutant Mudds, Pushmo, I could keep going. So disappointed that we didn't get a bunch of classic NES/SNES remakes in stereo on this thing! Sega does what Nintendon't!

I really enjoyed Super Mario 3D Land, Snake Eater, and RE: Revelations, but then platform did lack content compared to the DS.

Would you guys buy a 3DSwitch?
100%. That was the first iteration of Glasses less 3D. Imagine how much better it wouldve gotten had they had a chance to continue perfecting and upgrading the technology. Our only hope now is Avatar 2 being so successful, companies will jump back on the 3D wagon. Man, snake eater on a Nintendo console was mind blowing to me. I struggled through every frame of that game on those 3DS screens but it was so worth it. Wish the other 2 games were on there too. Love that series.

Super Mario 3D Land is the most underrated game in the series. It actually inocorporated the depth of the 3D effect in clever ways in its gameplay. It is way better than that trash 3D world on Wii U/Switch.
Great gameplay elements. I still think 3D world was a 3DS game that moved to the Wii U because of the disappointing 3DS hardware sales numbers.
I was not sold on its price and specs, but when I actually played Zelda: TOoT remake at a mall before launch I was hooked. 3D effect was real. The console had DS BC and had lots of charm. So did the Wii U.

The Switch, while it is a great console for what it enables and it is successful, does not have much Nintendo charm in its UI and system built in apps. Apple is the same in its modern OS UI’s too, more and more sterile :/.
Switch UI is completely not Nintendo. The same company that did the amazing wii shop channel with that unforgettable music to this UI is blasphemy.

Soodanim

The only reason I keep my 3DS XL around is because one day I'll rip my games and play them on an emulator so that I can play with a semblance of image quality and performance while using a controller that is actually comfortable to hold.

The 3D effect was a novelty that wore off quickly, and so many games didn't bother supporting it completely for one reason or another. I'm glad that phase of gaming is behind us.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
A great system. Some console level looking games. Resident evil Revelations being one.

Some great gems and exclusives.
Kid Icarus uprising.

Yeah the DS eclipses it for sheer choice but having backwards compatibility was great.
I wish it did DS numbers but it will be remembered fondly.

Still have my 3DS XL
What would be amazing is if they did a version of the switch. Fully dockable in a 3DS XL form factor. Having the foldable design offers inbuilt screen protection.

Last edited:

BeardGawd

Banned
3DS was an amazing machine. As mentioned you can basically play the entire Zelda franchise and other Nintendo classics on one machine.

There is nothing else out there with glassless 3D that actually tracks your eyes like the New 3DS so you dont have to be in a specific spot. I've always wished there were some phones are tablets that used the same tech but at higher resolution.

D-ray

I still have my 2DS with me and it's always good to be able to play both NDS and 3DS games. Maybe it's abit uncomfortable due to the weird size, but it still rocks.

I just need to fix the analog stick drift.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I'm currently getting into the 3DS. I had bought one just for Radiant Historia (before the newer one came out on 3DS) and Luigi's Mansion, but have recently started to use the system again. I am now 12 hours into DQVIII on the 3DS and I am having a blast revisiting this world on handheld. I am also really enjoying Super Mario 3D Land.

I've also downloaded: Zelda A Link Between Worlds, Paper Mario, Bravely Second and Mario Kart 7.

The battery life on this system is phenomenal, all the games run so smooth and the system is so light (although I had to purchase a grip to keep my hands from cramping on the New 3DS XL). My only complaint is the resolution being so piss poor, but it's certainly not a dealbreaker.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I wish I had the New Nintendo 3DS, or 2DS even, 3D doesn't work on me.

I had the OG model but got rid of it while keeping the DS. I dunno, something about the 3DS just didn't do it for me, I got rid of it a few months after 3D Land and ALBW released. I felt like I had had my fill.

Still on my radar though for soft-modding purposes but they never really decreased in price, maybe someday.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I wish I had the New Nintendo 3DS, or 2DS even, 3D doesn't work on me.

I had the OG model but got rid of it while keeping the DS. I dunno, something about the 3DS just didn't do it for me, I got rid of it a few months after 3D Land and ALBW released. I felt like I had had my fill.

Still on my radar though for soft-modding purposes but they never really decreased in price, maybe someday.
It appears that they have increased in price. Crazy!

Korranator

First held I bought since the OG GB and with full BC with DS, I'm still playing mine. Doesn't help that I enjoy replaying some of games such as the Etrian series, or FE games.

Last edited:
I recently got Super Mario 3D Land for it, reminded me how awesome the 3DS is with it's 3D, gyro, etc. I wanna get the Sega Ages stuff and RE Revelations the cart for it once more. I got one of the first print versions of Resident Evil Revelations with the typo misspelling of the game's title

tkscz

Had a now ex-friend steal my 3DS XL. Wish I had replaced it before the price of 3DSs got out of control. I still have my RE: Revelations case with the misspelling but no longer have the game.

Jubenhimer

Love the OP
For me handheld is nostalgia from yesteryear.
Gbc = nes
Gba = snes
ds = n64
3ds = gamecube
Switch = xbox 360+
Steam deck is ps4 xbox one
In terms of hardware power though, this isn't the most accurate statement. The GBC was a bit more powerful than the NES in most areas. The GBA was far superior to the SNES in everything but sound. The DS was easier to program for and had better tools than the N64. 3DS had better GPU features than the GameCube, and Switch from a GPU standpoint, has more in common with the Xbox One than the 360.

AndrewRyan

Love the 3DS, still my favorite pocket portable. Glasses-less 3D is one of my favorite features. So cool when done right in games like Shinobi, 3D Land, Nano Assault, Picross, all pinball games, even soccer is cooler in 3D - like tiny little ants running arounds in a matchbox.

The reveal at E3 was so surprising.. will never forget.
PImWqlI.jpg

fart town usa

Gold Member
I recently got Super Mario 3D Land for it, reminded me how awesome the 3DS is with it's 3D, gyro, etc. I wanna get the Sega Ages stuff and RE Revelations the cart for it once more. I got one of the first print versions of Resident Evil Revelations with the typo misspelling of the game's title
I had the REVELAITONS version. Such a silly mistake.

3DS makes me harken back to the age when Nintendo could release a lightweight, battery efficient handheld and people just accepted it for what it was. Forums and chats weren't constantly flooded with whining for a 3DS Pro, or crying that the hardware was weak and games didn't look as good as they could on PS4.

I loved the 3D effect once they implemented that eye tracking tech. The game library was really good too. I still to this day thing the Circle Pad is the best implementation of analog controls on a portable device.

However I hated the clamshell design and dual screens. Such a stupid gimmick and I'm so happy those days are over.

amigastar

3DS makes me harken back to the age when Nintendo could release a lightweight, battery efficient handheld and people just accepted it for what it was. Forums and chats weren't constantly flooded with whining for a 3DS Pro, or crying that the hardware was weak and games didn't look as good as they could on PS4.

I loved the 3D effect once they implemented that eye tracking tech. The game library was really good too. I still to this day thing the Circle Pad is the best implementation of analog controls on a portable device.

However I hated the clamshell design and dual screens. Such a stupid gimmick and I'm so happy those days are over.
Nah, i loved the dual screens in the 3DS and DS. The 3DS is my favourite Handheld.

Nah, i loved the dual screens in the 3DS and DS. The 3DS is my favourite Handheld.
I realized after playing a few games that it was never making my experiences better, and often times worse.

Putting any relevant information on a 2nd screen that sat vertically from the main screen meant that I had to take my eyes off the main to view it. In my opinion that mean it wasn't accomplishing anything a pause menu or quick toggle button didn't already do on single screen platforms.

I can't think of a single game that justified 2 screens.

Again too, I loved the DS, 3DS, and even the Wii U. Played so many wonderful games across those 3 platforms. Still think 2 screens is awful lol.

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Absolutely love it, and agree that having the 3D screen in the best experience in all portable gaming, still unbeaten. It changes everything... that depth makes the small screen more like a window into a tiny universe, makes the games feel large even while very compact.

I'll never understand the people who somehow can't see the 3D properly, it's bizarre. And Nintendo was clearly shocked as well... Iwata and all the other leadership were expecting every customer to be blown away by the feeling of real, glasses-free 3D in your pocket, but suddenly hit by some weird genetic problem where apparently about 40% of people can't see it or have a very hard time just putting their head in the right natural place.

Unfortunately, despite its enthusiasts, the "I don't get the 3d screens" crowd seems to have ruined what was a perfect evolution of small gaming devices. I still to this day find playing the Switch in handheld mode to be a bit of a disappointment because it's hard to go back to a flat game when we've seen better.

My 3DS has basically devolved into a Picross machine, lots of good titles including my favorite (Final Fantasy Pictlogica). But I love quirky shit like that and Theatrythm.

I also really enjoyed the system's RPGs. Most notably Fantasy Life (one of my favorite Level 5 games ever) but also the Dragon Quest 7 and 8 remakes, Bravely Default, Ever Oasis, Xenoblade Chronicles, and more. The fact that it can also play DS games opens up a whole other can of worms.

A little bummed we never got that or Puzzle & Dragons Chapter of God/Dragon. I still want those translated.

3DS may have been the last bastion of pocket-friendly gaming, unless one (narrowly) counts the Switch Lite.

I'm currently getting into the 3DS. I had bought one just for Radiant Historia (before the newer one came out on 3DS) and Luigi's Mansion, but have recently started to use the system again. I am now 12 hours into DQVIII on the 3DS and I am having a blast revisiting this world on handheld. I am also really enjoying Super Mario 3D Land.

I've also downloaded: Zelda A Link Between Worlds, Paper Mario, Bravely Second and Mario Kart 7.

The battery life on this system is phenomenal, all the games run so smooth and the system is so light (although I had to purchase a grip to keep my hands from cramping on the New 3DS XL). My only complaint is the resolution being so piss poor, but it's certainly not a dealbreaker.
A lot of 60fps games though id reccomend modding the console you can run 60fps patches for some games and romhacks

TexMex

Still use mine and bought a couple extra ones when they were going for super cheap near the end of its life. The "New" 3DS XL is one of the most premium feeling handhelds I've ever owned.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
In terms of hardware power though, this isn't the most accurate statement. The GBC was a bit more powerful than the NES in most areas. The GBA was far superior to the SNES in everything but sound. The DS was easier to program for and had better tools than the N64. 3DS had better GPU features than the GameCube, and Switch from a GPU standpoint, has more in common with the Xbox One than the 360.
Cat Glasses GIF by Leroy Patterson

UltimaKilo

Gold Member

Very different. The Switch is Nintendo’s main (and now, only) console. The Switch is certainly long in the tooth, but only very recently began to hamper gameplay and development.

The 3DS was always its own thing, yet still became very dated towards the end of the lifecycle.

cireza

Banned
It is the last proper handheld console. Weak hardware (but who cares ?), low resolution, good battery, passive cooling. Vita also had some good exclusive efforts, but started seeing shit ports with no optimization for the handheld screen. Switch nowadays is 100% this (games for TV but on a small display) so that's basically unpractical as a handheld.

When the 3DS died, many studios and types of games died with it. It was not viable anymore to make small RPGs. Remember when Atlus made games such as Radiant Historia, Etrian Odyssey, Persona Q, Strange Journey ? All of this was thrown away, which sucks, because they were great handheld games.

Thankfully I still have a nice library of physical games for both 3DS and Vita, but I will run out eventually.

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
It is the last proper handheld console. Weak hardware (but who cares ?), low resolution, good battery, passive cooling. Vita also had some good exclusive efforts, but started seeing shit ports with no optimization for the handheld screen. Switch nowadays is 100% this (games for TV but on a small display) so that's basically unpractical as a handheld.

When the 3DS died, many studios and types of games died with it. It was not viable anymore to make small RPGs. Remember when Atlus made games such as Radiant Historia, Etrian Odyssey, Persona Q, Strange Journey ? All of this was thrown away, which sucks, because they were great handheld games.

Thankfully I still have a nice library of physical games for both 3DS and Vita, but I will run out eventually.
This is quite sad, and true.

I understood Nintendo's reason for unifying their portable and home consoles, and at the time it seemed brilliant (I thought we'd get more unique first-party titles since they could now deploy to both home and to portable with the same game), but in reality we have seen a huge loss in the category of games that thrived on portable Nintendo devices. Everything has to be some kind of headliner that can stand alongside home console offerings, and that's a terrible pattern.

Looking back at this situation, I find myself hoping that they spilt their platforms again in the future, and create a handheld that is dedicated towards the kinds of titles which have no interest in being console-ready compelling TV experiences. I'd even like to bring back the concept of a portable differentiator like the 3D screen, making portable experiences feel decisively different from TV games. But that seems unlikely.

Top Bottom