• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo apologizes for Pokemon performance issues and are working on "improvements"

Mitsurux

I noticed an improvement in performance after the patch
Entering Tagtree Thicket from the Desert used to just crawl, but after the patch runs a lot better pretty much no slow down.

The Pokemon Company cannot put Pokémon games anywhere they want, The Pokémon company was formed to handle the IP which is owned 3 way between Nintendo Creatures and gamefreak

However Nintendo also owns between 30-60% of creatures Inc so In theory Nintendo are majority shareholders, they also “OWN” solely The Pokémon Name and they would never in a million years sanction any video game with the name Pokemon as the title on a competitors system.

The reason nintendo are issuing this statement is because everybody knows off the record there literally the daddy they make the rules of the game and the Pokemon company operate in a weird vacuum where they think there in control but daddy’s calling and he’s sending some monolith guys down to “Oversee” things I reckon.

Edit: Also for any little smart Alec’s that are going to mention The Pokemon company’s mobile ventures it’s a completely different animal Nintendo understands mobile gaming a lot better these days it’s doesn't affect there bottom line nor are they competing directly with mobile if anything it generates brilliant revenue for them and it’s free real estate basically.

Nintendo does not list Creatures Inc on any their financial statements at all, which is only excluded if it's not notable enough to mention. Their revenue from the Pokemon IP also doesn't reflect a majority share.

Nintendo owns a trademark to sell Pokemon merchandise under their name. The trademark for ownership is listed as Nintendo/Creatures Inc./GAME FREAK

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
The Pokémon Company has been releasing games back to back. What they need to do is expand Gamefreak considerably. The franchise is large enough to warrant a bigger investment..

Lasha

The performance issues should be the impetus that gets Nintendo to buy out the rest of the Pokemon company. Pokemon is too important to let game freak dick around anymore. Bring the franchise under full first party control to protect it's reputation. Nintendo definitely has the cash on hand to make the deal happen.

Skelterz

The performance issues should be the impetus that gets Nintendo to buy out the rest of the Pokemon company. Pokemon is too important to let game freak dick around anymore. Bring the franchise under full first party control to protect it's reputation. Nintendo definitely has the cash on hand to make the deal happen.

To be honest with you I’m almost glad this has happened this generation is the straw that broke the camels back and I can almost guarantee there will be some serious changes going forward with the franchise one thing is for sure Gamefreak are simply incompetent and they’ve been riding the 3DS ideology wave for far too long.

Lasha

To be honest with you I’m almost glad this has happened this generation is the straw that broke the camels back and I can almost guarantee there will be some serious changes going forward with the franchise one thing is for sure Gamefreak are simply incompetent and they’ve been riding the 3DS ideology wave for far too long.

Nintendo has too much going on to let them fuck around anymore. Nintendo will want a shit hot pokemon for the switch's successor that GameFreak will never be able to provide. Nintendo is trying to pivot into monetizing it's IP and questions of quality are not aligned with that vision.

theclaw135

Banned
This Pokemon construct of owners of whatever part of the brand is so confusing.

One of the stranger details is that APE was originally brought on board, before transferring their involvement to a new company in Creatures (Creatures was founded late 1995, when Red/Green wrapped development).

But the dormant APE wasn't legally dissolved, to this day they're still credited any time Mother/Earthbound material is used.

Last edited:

PSYGN

japan wtf GIF
cool

Robb

Gold Member
That’s good at least, I was thinking they’d just leave it be and move on to the next one.

Fabieter

I actually think with 10m customers having a bad launch that there should be some goodies for early adopters.

Skelterz

One of the stranger details is that APE was originally brought on board, before transferring their involvement to a new company in Creatures (Creatures was founded late 1995, when Red/Green wrapped development).

But the dormant APE wasn't legally dissolved, to this day they're still credited any time Mother/Earthbound material is used.

Makes me think of how good a modern day Earthbound could be on switch such a gem of a game.

Skelterz

I actually think with 10m customers having a bad launch that there should be some goodies for early adopters.

I can imagine you’ll get some candy’s or whatever but let’s be honest the real goodie to come from all this is the potential shit storm it’s caused internally, I’ve personally not purchased Pokémon violet/scarlet nor do I plan to however I am cautiously optimistic of the future given this does feel like the final straw for game freaks ineptitude.

Skelterz

Nintendo has too much going on to let them fuck around anymore. Nintendo will want a shit hot pokemon for the switch's successor that GameFreak will never be able to provide. Nintendo is trying to pivot into monetizing it's IP and questions of quality are not aligned with that vision.

I always say to my friend let monolith-soft be the core developer for the Pokémon mainline games and none of us will be moaning, What there capable of doing with the hardware there provided is mind blowing they were instrumental in breath of the wilds development as well.

IMO There far and away the best studio Nintendo own these days and I’d like to see them step into something fresh.

Fabieter

I can imagine you’ll get some candy’s or whatever but let’s be honest the real goodie to come from all this is the potential shit storm it’s caused internally, I’ve personally not purchased Pokémon violet/scarlet nor do I plan to however I am cautiously optimistic of the future given this does feel like the final straw for game freaks ineptitude.

Iam not sure about the last part. Any dev would struggle with a yearly release with big ass rpgs. You mentioned monolith in the second post. They get years between releases. Don't think it would change the situation.

I actually thought about nintendo giving us the season pass next year for free.

Skelterz

Iam not sure about the last part. Any dev would struggle with a yearly release with big ass rpgs. You mentioned monolith in the second post. They get years between releases. Don't think it would change the situation.

I actually thought about nintendo giving us the season pass next year for free.

I mean from what I understand it’s game freak that sets the time frame so if there struggling internally they need to allocate themselves more time, and again any Pokémon game developed by monolith soft would likely be smaller in scope than a Xenoblade game I genuinely believe they could accomplish far more than game freak could with the allocated time just my opinion.

And you clearly live in a dream world if you think your getting a season pass for free they’ve supposedly patched the game so other than it being a poor game in general aside from the technical issues nobody can expect anything else.

Last edited:

Fabieter

I mean from what I understand it’s game freak that sets the time frame so if there struggling internally they need to allocate themselves more time, and again any Pokémon game developed by monolith soft would likely be smaller in scope than a Xenoblade game I genuinely believe they could accomplish far more than game freak could with the allocated time just my opinion.

I mean its possible but for me it doesn't make sense for gamefreak to make games in less time. Normally it's publishers fault with stuff like that so that would be nintendo and tpc. I mean they benefit from the yearly releases after all.

Skelterz

I mean its possible but for me it doesn't make sense for gamefreak to make games in less time. Normally it's publishers fault with stuff like that so that would be nintendo and tpc. I mean they benefit from the yearly releases after all.

Everything works around the games look it up Gamefreak sets the pace.

Saber

Gold Member

For them it makes total sense to just crumb their scheludes times, worrying about those problems later. It didn't affect them at all and the margins are insane, any developer would like to be in their situation.

Fabieter

For them it makes total sense to just crumb their scheludes times, worrying about those problems later. It didn't affect them at all and the margins are insane, any developer would like to be in their situation.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pokémon_Company

Going by that gamefreak actually also owns part of the franchise so yes they also benefit from it, but creatures and Nintendo are also responsible. You can not deny that. Or we should stop giving Nintendo credit for the success of pokemon if they have nothing to do with it.

Saber

Gold Member
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pokémon_Company

Going by that gamefreak actually also owns part of the franchise so yes they also benefit from it, but creatures and Nintendo are also responsible. You can not deny that. Or we should stop giving Nintendo credit for the success of pokemon if they have nothing to do with it.

I'm not in any way giving the credit of Pokemon to Nintendo neither saying they would not benefit from delays or help(far from it, they should have already doing that by ages). Just saying theres nothing to stop Gamefreak from choosing their own release times. Would Nintendo actually able to stop them to release 2 yearly games if they so believe a delay was necessary? Again, Nintendo proved that they are not afraid to delay their games in order to give them some polishment.

Last edited:

Fabieter

I'm not in any way giving the credit of Pokemon to Nintendo neither saying they would not benefit from delays or help(far from it, they should have already doing that by ages). Just saying theres nothing to stop Gamefreak from choosing their own release times. Would Nintendo actually able to stop them to release 2 yearly games if they so believe a delay was necessary? Again, Nintendo proved that they are not afraid to delay their games in order to give them some polishment.

This is what I found online about tpc

"Nintendo is said to own stocks in Creatures and Game Freaks. Since Nintendo is part of The Pokémon Company and is said to own stocks in each of its partner companies, this without a doubt would give them a majority say on anything that would come up. It is hard to find precisely how much stock Nintendo owns of each company online."

Anyway it's okay to critise gamefreak but creatures also develop those games. And with nintendo being the major holder they should ensure quality.

Woopah

It will depend on whether Game Freak wants to be bought or not.

CuNi

"Nintendo is said to own stocks in Creatures and Game Freaks. Since Nintendo is part of The Pokémon Company and is said to own stocks in each of its partner companies, this without a doubt would give them a majority say on anything that would come up. It is hard to find precisely how much stock Nintendo owns of each company online."

Anyway it's okay to critise gamefreak but creatures also develop those games. And with nintendo being the major holder they should ensure quality.

Creatures is only a co-developmer/support studio, most likely providing assets or doing support work only.

The main developer and the one calling the shots is Game Freak, so most if not all the blame lies with them.

Fabieter

Creatures is only a co-developmer/support studio, most likely providing assets or doing support work only.

The main developer and the one calling the shots is Game Freak, so most if not all the blame lies with them.

If pubs dont do quality assurance than its surely not most of it on the dev.

Saber

Gold Member

Creatures are responsible for creating the pokemon models(monsters). The rest is all Gamefreak.

Lasha

It will depend on whether Game Freak wants to be bought or not.

Nintendo has enough cash to make shareholders budge. Or it can target Creature's stake. Nintendo has likely never bothered because the arrangement is so profitable and GameFreak wasn't shitting the bed. Using cash reserves to bring a key brand under full Nintendo control would be smart given Nintendo's plans.

CuNi

If pubs dont do quality assurance than its surely not most of it on the dev.

I agree with you that the publisher is not without fault, but they are not the major party to blame.

After all, the game runs, albeit horribly.

Fabieter

I agree with you that the publisher is not without fault, but they are not the major party to blame.

After all, the game runs, albeit horribly.
I would go even further and say that nintendo has it approved as a platformholder.

Woopah

Nintendo has enough cash to make shareholders budge. Or it can target Creature's stake. Nintendo has likely never bothered because the arrangement is so profitable and GameFreak wasn't shitting the bed. Using cash reserves to bring a key brand under full Nintendo control would be smart given Nintendo's plans.
It can certainly try and persuade the founders to sell. But if the founders want to keep control of the company, Nintendo can't force them to relinquish it.

Top Bottom