• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo are developing either another Switch Revision or the next Nintendo console with physical and digital editions

Banjo64

cumsessed
I will never own a digital Nintendo console. Never. If they develop a digital only gen that would be the end of me buying Nintendo hardware. Never has a company given me so little faith in their digital operation. For context I own a PS5 DE and a Series S.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
do it nintendo. give me an all digital oled switch. i beg you!

physical media must die.
lane kiffin roll GIF

Why is this "theoretical non-news" baseless speculation even threadworthy? Oh, because it's from some "insider" at a gaming site, I guess. Pft.

FStubbs

The company that does everything they can to preserve the value of their games is going all digital?

Doubt.jpg

This is throwing stuff against the wall and hoping something sticks.

FStubbs

If nintendo doesnt honor bc this time im never buying another digital game from
Them again
I'm pretty sure they will this time. There was no way they could do it from 3DS or Wii U. But with ARM and a one screen device, they'll be able to do it now.

What you will likely have to watch out for is that it might be like Wii BC was on Wii U, where the device literally becomes a Switch and there are no next gen enhancements. Ever.

3 obvious, possible scenarios....how is this even news?
The Switch installbase is like 90 million… Everything with the name Switch on the title is going to give clicks… Thats why we are getting a weekly “news” of the Switch Pro from some big websites or “insiders”.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
You have only ever licensed the use of the software on the hardware you have never owned a game even if it was on a cartridge.

also all developers are always working on the next hardware.

Technically speaking, you are correct. However, I have lost a great many titles thanks to digital store fronts being shut down and/or losing access to accounts due to a various number of reasons.

Meanwhile the physical games I can continue to play even if I lose my account, or the store fronts are shut down. I still have games over 50 years old that work perfectly. People like to bring up "disk rot" or cartridge corrosion, however with basic climate control these can be completely negligible problems for an entire life time or two.

Digital is a fantastic option for those who want it, but it should only ever be that: an option. Just as Streaming or Physical should be options for those who want them.

Kokoloko85

Wow captain obvious….

Id never buy a digital only Nintendo Product. They have the crappest prices and sales. Well on the Wii U it was time but Fuck those Switch prices

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I don’t think Nintendo gets away from physical media because they want to sell games to grandma, and I don’t think a code in a box makes grandma happy.

This just in: Nintendo is creating the first digital only physical game cartridge. Miyamoto is overseeing the project.
Are you sure they're the first? There's been psychical Switch cartridges that still make you download, at least, most of the game digitally.

MrA

Banned
Reduce costs by removing a component that probably adds like 25 cents to the bill of materials,
Yeah that makes sense, do they realize there is a world of difference between a card connector and a disk drive in terms of cost and physical size?
Digital fanboys are by far the worst , I'm too lazy to get up off my rump to change games., everyone else better not even have the option

I'm pretty sure they will this time. There was no way they could do it from 3DS or Wii U. But with ARM and a one screen device, they'll be able to do it now.

What you will likely have to watch out for is that it might be like Wii BC was on Wii U, where the device literally becomes a Switch and there are no next gen enhancements. Ever.
I'm questioning it. Backward compatibility and legacy support have gotten consistently weaker from Nintendo each passing console gen. (We went from Wii w/ Gamecube support and VC with all consoles up within the first three months, to Wii U with no internal Gamecube support, a "rebooted" Virtual Console where you are charged extra compared to the old one for what is basically savestates and second screen usage, and games taking way longer to come out, and THEN to the Switch's horrid Switch Online emulator state. At this rate, the next gen may as well have nothing whatsoever and it'd almost seem like it'd be better than what they'd actually offer.)

ultrazilla

Once. Just once I'd like to see Nintendo swing for the fences and make a powerful system that can run ports of current gen(PS5/Xbox Series X/S).

Otherwise as the current gen goes on, Nintendo's third party support will dry up because their system can't run the ports well and we'll see the return of the Wii U third party support which was basically nothing.

DLSS or the equivalent is a key feature I can see Nintendo embracing so I'm hoping those rumors are true.

I don't think this will be a "digital only" console. I think the vast majority of Nintendo fans want a more powerful "Pro" Switch model that can be played both docked and undocked with physical media still being used. The happy medium would be for Nintendo to offer both physical media and all digital systems and simply price the all digital version a bit cheaper like Sony and MS do with the PS5/Xbox Series S/X.

Timing of the announcement for this "new" system is key. They can literally announce it today and give a target date of let's say November 2022. Though they've stated there won't be anymore "new" systems this year after the OLED model, it doesn't mean they can't *announce* a new system. But as the OLED model just came out, I highly doubt Nintendo would cannibalize sales as people would say screw it and wait for the more powerful model which is 100% guaranteed to feature the OLED screen anyways.

My best guess is that Nintendo will announce/have the full reveal of the "Nintendo Switch Next" at E3 2022 with a Fall 2022 release. It'll launch with Metroid Prime 4, Super Mario Odyssey 2 and a "Special Edition of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2" at the bare minimum.

Cheers everyone!

Last edited:

yurinka

I think it's too early for them to go with a digital only sku, their % of physical sales is still too high.

But yes, Nintendo said they aren't woking on a Switch Pro but instead plan to release a Switch succesor somewere in the future.

Kuranghi

Once. Just once I'd like to see Nintendo swing for the fences and make a powerful system that can run ports of current gen(PS5/Xbox Series X/S).

Otherwise as the current gen goes on, Nintendo's third party support will dry up because their system can't run the ports well and we'll see the return of the Wii U third party support which was basically nothing.

DLSS or the equivalent is a key feature I can see Nintendo embracing so I'm hoping those rumors are true.

I don't think this will be a "digital only" console. I think the vast majority of Nintendo fans want a more powerful "Pro" Switch model that can be played both docked and undocked with physical media still being used. The happy medium would be for Nintendo to offer both physical media and all digital systems and simply price the all digital version a bit cheaper like Sony and MS do with the PS5/Xbox Series S/X.

Timing of the announcement for this "new" system is key. They can literally announce it today and give a target date of let's say November 2022. Though they've stated there won't be anymore "new" systems this year after the OLED model, it doesn't mean they can't *announce* a new system. But as the OLED model just came out, I highly doubt Nintendo would cannibalize sales as people would say screw it and wait for the more powerful model which is 100% guaranteed to feature the OLED screen anyways.

My best guess is that Nintendo will announce/have the full reveal of the "Nintendo Switch Next" at E3 2022 with a Fall 2022 release. It'll launch with Metroid Prime 4, Super Mario Odyssey 2 and a "Special Edition of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2" at the bare minimum.

Cheers everyone!

The only hurdle I can see is that they tend to suck at modern graphics techniques or just not use them, look at the Temporal/Approximate AA in Super Mario Odyssey when you have a stack of 15 goombas captured and then rotate the camera, it drops to like 540p or something and its really noticeable because the temporal anti-aliasing is so rubbish.

If they add a DLSS-like technique but its rubbish and can't be turned off I'd hate that, I don't want to play a mario game thats running internally at 720p but has terrible upscaling with bad sharpening or the like. Thats a worst case scenario ofc, you'd hope they have it worked out better than that but I'm worried because they aren't exactly the company to have tons of options in their settings menus, if anything they don't even have basic control stuff most of the time, let alone technical options.

Mirumi

Neo Member
Digital only seems like a poor choice for Nintendo, especially when they are praised for being the most physical media based console. And because of that their sales dominate famitsu which doesn't display digital iirc.

I spend about 3-4k on physical a year. It would sadden Me to lose playing Nintendo games because of that decision. But I don't think they are that dumb.

Last edited:

Ceadeus

Cheers everyone!
That would be great but also very surprising!

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Nintendo is a cornerstone of gaming, if they can actually go toe to toe with Microsoft or Sony in graphics, and gun games I can tell you they’ll get more recognition.

Notabueno

Banned
You have only ever licensed the use of the software on the hardware you have never owned a game even if it was on a cartridge.

also all developers are always working on the next hardware.

You do OWN the games, as in a licence to a copy of game, or book, or smartphone, or car etc...

If you disagree, give me your address so that I can communicate to people who will take your word for it

Top Bottom