• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo are developing either another Switch Revision or the next Nintendo console with physical and digital editions

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Seems unlikely, but I guess it depends on how much of a bite it's taking out of profit. I suppose they may be willing to lose X number of customers/sales of physical if it means 20% more profit on millions of sales.

I

Woopah

They could make a digital only option, but they will definitely have a version that plays cartridges too.

I'm very curious if their next system is a revision or a successor.

TLZ

Banned
How about make both portable and console only systems, both running on similar hardware with obviously the console way overclocked with much more RAM? This way both crowds will be properly satisfied.

But I know it's much easier to just stick with this jack of all trades, 2 in 1 machine.

Last edited:
I don’t think Nintendo would make an all digital switch. In terms of unit cost, the game card slot is negligible compared to a blu ray disc drive.

The only way it might make sense is if Nintendo really, really wants to push digital, so when you buy an all digital unit you’ve been suckered into buying digital for the long haul. Nintendo is the most pro physical atm, so I have doubts.

But in terms of making a cheaper unit, it would not help.

Last edited:

Surf Ninja

Nintendo is making a realistic, down-to-earth console that's completely off the wall and swarming with magic robots.

Bragr

Banned
Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo is developing and planning hardware constently, of course they have stuff in the pipeline, but its all just prototypes and plans that change all the time. These sort of rumors mean very little.

Nintendo also to possibly release another Mario, Zelda and Pokemon game.

Can someone quote the above breaking news and make a new topic? I'm gonna be a famous game journalist! I already dyed my hair and hate myself to prepare for the new role.

Last edited:

Kacho

Gold Member
Nick from Xbox Era states the most obvious shit in the world. Anyone with an Uncle that works at Nintendo knows this.

PhaseJump

Banned
It's either a Switch revision, or a digital and physical 4K successor, or the re-release of the Virtua Boy. But one thing I know for sure is that it's going to contain plastic and say Nintendo on the front (or maybe the side). It's also for sure coming out in 2022, or 2023 (or 2024).

In a perfect world, some shit lord at Nintendo would read this and decide to bring Labo back in a big way before the end of the year; just to troll you.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I buy every Nintendo console (I had a Virtual Boy when it went on fire sale), but a digital only Nintendo console? With their “experience” with online and digital stores?
annoy GIF

V4skunk

Banned
I will never own a digital Nintendo console. Never. If they develop a digital only gen that would be the end of me buying Nintendo hardware. Never has a company given me so little faith in their digital operation. For context I own a PS5 DE and a Series S.
I wouldn't buy a digital only Nintendo console because used Nintendo physical games are worth a bomb compared to ps/xbox used games.

EDMIX

It seems like they're just listing every possible scenario and hoping one of them comes true so they look right.

lol

Pretty much.

Be like "Nintendo is said to have a system in development that will play games and come with controller to play said games" and or "Mario is said to be a game they are working on"

MrA

Banned
lol

Pretty much.

Be like "Nintendo is said to have a system in development that will play games and come with controller to play said games" and or "Mario is said to be a game they are working on"
I"ve heard the following rumors
Nintendo is working on an upgraded switch with better hardware
and another even more upgraded switch so like an upgrade of the upgrade
and a similar hybrid system but with a new name and better hardware
and a low cost micro console version of the switch without a screen
and a smaller portable version of the switch
and that the switches successor will be 2 seperate options a handheld and a console, but sharing the same software
and new console that uses the switch as a controller like the wii u set up
nintendo will use one of nvidias tegra successors
nintendo will abandon nvidia for qualcomm/amd/ or any other soc designer (sure let's include apple throw out all of the spaghetti)
nintendo will go back to the traditional seperate console and handheld model
nintendo will have 100% back compat on the switch successor and / will continue to sell low-cost switch variants for some time/ quickly abandon the switch as redundant
nintendo will have a completely incompatible successor and / will continue to sell low-cost switch variants for some time/ quickly abandon the switch as support vanishes
in 2022,2023,2024 or 2025
there I think that's every possible scenario
I look forward to acting smug and clever when one of my vague predictions plays out

GK_Gats

I have 30+ games on Switch and they're all digital versions. I'm fine with that.
I don't need plastic boxes full of dust in my house.

Top Bottom