• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo breaks record for highest operating profit earned in a fiscal year by a console maker

Dodkrake

Banned
I love these "profits don't matter" posts. MS has been in the red near constantly, Sony lost a huge chunk of their profits with the PS3. If either was in Nintendo's position (game maker only), they'd be toast. Just ask Sega.

Where is my post a "profits don't matter"? You need to learn how to read.

EdGalTBR

Banned
Code:
+---------+-------+-------+
| Quarter |  WII  |  NSW  |
|  FY1Q1  |       |       |
|  FY1Q2  |       |       |
|  FY1Q3  |  3.19 |       |
|  FY1Q4  |  2.65 |  2.74 |
|   FY1   |  5.84 |  2.74 |
|  FY2Q1  |  3.43 |  1.97 |
|  FY2Q2  |  3.90 |  2.93 |
|  FY2Q3  |  6.97 |  7.23 |
|  FY2Q4  |  4.31 |  2.93 |
|   FY2   | 18.61 | 15.06 |
+--------+--------+-------+
|  FY3Q1  |  5.17 |  1.88 |
|  FY3Q2  |  4.03 |  3.19 |
|  FY3Q3  | 10.41 |  9.41 |
|  FY3Q4  |  5.46 |  2.47 |
|   FY3   | 25.95 | 16.95 |
|  FY4Q1  |  2.23 |  2.13 |
|  FY4Q2  |  3.52 |  4.80 |
|  FY4Q3  | 11.31 | 10.81 |
|  FY4Q4  |  3.48 |  3.29 |
|   FY4   | 20.54 | 21.03 |
|  FY5Q1  |  3.04 |  5.68 |
|  FY5Q2  |  1.93 |  6.85 |
|  FY5Q3  |  8.74 | 11.57 |
|  FY5Q4  |  1.37 |  4.73 |
|   FY5   | 15.08 | 28.83 |
|  FY6Q1  |  1.56 |  4.45 |
|   LTD   | 87.57 | 89.04 |

Last edited:

Woopah

Wheres the majority of these consoles being sold? America, Japan and what France? Are Nintendo as big as sony in the whole of Europe?

Here's the lifetime breakdown:

Switch hardwareJapanThe AmericasEuropeRest of the World
Life-To-Date (Units)20.04 million33.27 million21.58 million9.71 million
Life-To-Date % of total23.69%39.33% 25.51%11.48%

So the biggers chunk comes from the America, and then a roughly even split between Japan and Europe. The % for ROTW had a noticeable increase compared to last year, largely driven by the launch in China and very strong growth in other East Asia countries like Taiwan and South Korea.

Nintendo are bigger than Sony in France, but Sony is bigger than Nintendo in all the other European countries we get data from.

Impressive performance. Though their profitability isn't surprising given how little money they actually spend on game development and network services, and how infrequently they discount their games.
They're like Apple in that sense.

Calling 3D all stars a "remaster" is an insult to the term. It's a collection of ROMs that have been grossly overpriced and are badly emulated. But ultimately for them, they've made money hand over fist, so there is literally no incentive to try any harder than they currently do.

The Switch as a piece of hardware is great in concept - perfect for Nintendo. But it's a horribly built piece of shit and most definitely not worth the price you have to pay for it. But when it's selling so well, why bother discounting it or making better hardware?

At the very least the main series Nintendo games are worth the asking price and as long as those games remain high quality, Nintendo aren't going anywhere.
And honestly, while I hate their laziness and cheapness, it's better for the industry that they stay alive and independent.

Bodomism

Banned
Code:
| Quarter |  WII  |  NSW  |
|  FY1Q1  |       |       |
|  FY1Q2  |       |       |
|  FY1Q3  |  3.19 |       |
|  FY1Q4  |  2.65 |  2.74 |
|   FY1   |  5.84 |  2.74 |
|  FY2Q1  |  3.43 |  1.97 |
|  FY2Q2  |  3.90 |  2.93 |
|  FY2Q3  |  6.97 |  7.23 |
|  FY2Q4  |  4.31 |  2.93 |
|   FY2   | 18.61 | 15.06 |
+--------+--------+-------+
|  FY3Q1  |  5.17 |  1.88 |
|  FY3Q2  |  4.03 |  3.19 |
|  FY3Q3  | 10.41 |  9.41 |
|  FY3Q4  |  5.46 |  2.47 |
|   FY3   | 25.95 | 16.95 |
|  FY4Q1  |  2.23 |  2.13 |
|  FY4Q2  |  3.52 |  4.80 |
|  FY4Q3  | 11.31 | 10.81 |
|  FY4Q4  |  3.48 |  3.29 |
|   FY4   | 20.54 | 21.03 |
|  FY5Q1  |  3.04 |  5.68 |
|  FY5Q2  |  1.93 |  6.85 |
|  FY5Q3  |  8.74 | 11.57 |
|  FY5Q4  |  1.37 |  4.73 |
|   FY5   | 15.08 | 28.83 |
|   LTD   | 86.01 | 84.59 |
Wii sales was falling off the cliff from there.

twerkouting

Banned
Some will never understand their is another demographic that are not interested in the latest triple AAA movie like games, they are not obsessed with graphics or frame rates, they just want to have fun playing video games and do not spend most of their time playing them.
You mean a bunch of dudes hanging out in a PC-centric, performance-obsessed gaming forum don't represent the popular gaming zeitgeist they thought they did?

Cg7RlFn.png

What am I even doing here?

TAS

A remarkable achievement. :messenger_clapping: Nintendo took a huge risk merging their console/handheld market into one device, especially coming right after the disastrous Wii U era. The Switch represents the greatest comeback in video game history and IMO cements Nintendo as the best to ever do it. :messenger_sunglasses:

hroerekr

For hardware revenue Sony beats Nintendo, number of devices Nintendo beats Sony

That's kind of a useless metric. They don't make money from hardware.
Hardware is relevant on the number of units, which points to how successful is the user-base acquisition.
Software on the other hand is where the money is made, so it makes sense to use both metrics (revenue and units).

Last edited:
That's kind of a useless metric. They don't make money from hardware.
Hardware is relevant on the number of units, which points to how successful is the user-base acquisition.
Software on the other hand is where the money is made, so it makes sense to use both metrics (revenue and units).
That quote was in response to a question about why there was a report on Sony having highest hardware sales last quarter, and then this one saying Nintendo does. They are just counting different things. I certainly wasn't trying make any kind of statement with it.

Hezekiah

Banned
Cutting edge shouldn't imply graphics. BOTW was cutting edge and is a Wii U game. By cutting edge I mean the magic that Nintendo has when they actually put forth some effort. Odyssey definitely applies but that was made when Nintendo was in a fighting position. Whenever they're profitable it seems like meaningful titles grind to a halt.

I think Switch is totally fine as a main console, the software library is massive, honestly no need for a 2nd system unless you're someone who wants RE titles or other 3rd party games that don't make it to Switch. My point is, Nintendo could be doing a hell of a lot more and everyone knows it but certain people are OK with it. That's fine, it's still a valid point though cause Nintendo has been doing this stuff for decades cause people put up with it.
There are hardcore Nintendo fans who will accept that. But there's way too many games/franchises missing for many gamers.

hroerekr

That quote was in response to a question about why there was a report on Sony having highest hardware sales last quarter, and then this one saying Nintendo does. They are just counting different things. I certainly wasn't trying make any kind of statement with it.

Oh right. Thanks for the clarification.

Mozza

Nintendo will never make a home console ever again.
Nintendo is bound to make a dud after the Switch.
Or they will keep with the Switch brand and continue their success, I feel Nintendo have found the right balance with the hybrid design.

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
giphy.gif

Glad to see Nintendo really holding it down. Love what they've done and how much they've turned around after the Wii U. They've put out some of their best work since the launch of Wii U and that's simply because they had to.

Marvel14

Banned
Nintendo has just announced its financial results for the full fiscal year ending March 2021 which were record breaking.
In particular the operating profit for the full fiscal year amounted to 640.63 Bn yen which is the highest ever recorded in a fiscal year by any console manufacturer (company or console division in the case of mega corporations).
The previous record holder was Nintendo’s fiscal year ending March 2009 which was the peak of the Wii/DS business.

It is probable that the Switch era will be more profitable than the Wii/DS era for Nintendo.

Top 5 highest operating profits recorded by any console manufacturer (company or console division in the case of mega corporations) until now:

Manufacturer | Fiscal Year | Operating Profits
Nintendo, FY ending March 2021: 640.63 Bn yen
Nintendo, FY ending March 2009: 555.26 Bn yen
Nintendo, FY ending March 2008: 487.22 Bn yen
Nintendo, FY ending March 2010: 356.57 Bn yen
Nintendo, FY ending March 2020: 352.37 Bn yen

source:
Nintendoomed....

Or they will keep with the Switch brand and continue their success, I feel Nintendo have found the right balance with the hybrid design.
Nah. Switch U/Switch 2 isnt gonna help. People need to know its a new thing. These are mainly parents buying them for their kids. The pandemic helped the Switch so much. Sony and Microsoft not as much they have limited supply, and they were already slowing their production of their older consoles. Sony could have sold twice the amount of PS5s if they could make them.

So the Switch successor might actually have to be a VR based console. And they can continue Switch family as their portable option. Switch mini for 150$

Mozza

Nah. Switch U/Switch 2 isnt gonna help. People need to know its a new thing. These are mainly parents buying them for their kids. The pandemic helped the Switch so much. Sony and Microsoft not as much they have limited supply, and they were already slowing their production of their older consoles. Sony could have sold twice the amount of PS5s if they could make them.

So the Switch successor might actually have to be a VR based console. And they can continue Switch family as their portable option. Switch mini for 150$
Why do people always insist it's the pandemic which has made the Switch a success?, sure it helped the sales of video games for every manufacturer, but the Switch has been in huge demand since it's launch, and has great momentum. VR is nowhere near mainstream enough, so I doubt it will feature that heavily with the Switch 2.

Last edited:

thebigmanjosh

Gold Member
Impressive performance. Though their profitability isn't surprising given how little money they actually spend on game development and network services, and how infrequently they discount their games.
They're like Apple in that sense.

Calling 3D all stars a "remaster" is an insult to the term. It's a collection of ROMs that have been grossly overpriced and are badly emulated. But ultimately for them, they've made money hand over fist, so there is literally no incentive to try any harder than they currently do.

The Switch as a piece of hardware is great in concept - perfect for Nintendo. But it's a horribly built piece of shit and most definitely not worth the price you have to pay for it. But when it's selling so well, why bother discounting it or making better hardware?

At the very least the main series Nintendo games are worth the asking price and as long as those games remain high quality, Nintendo aren't going anywhere.
And honestly, while I hate their laziness and cheapness, it's better for the industry that they stay alive and independent.
This is why I don't understand people celebrating a metric like operating profit when money isn't being put to good use.

I'd think people would be angry that Nintendo isn't reinvesting that money to increase its games output but if they're content with what Nintendo is currently doing then by all means keep the party going.

Marvel14

Banned
This is why I don't understand people celebrating a metric like operating profit when money isn't being put to good use.

I'd think people would be angry that Nintendo isn't reinvesting that money to increase its games output but if they're content with what Nintendo is currently doing then by all means keep the party going.
I think the gentlemen do protest too much.

Nintendo is the most creative and rule breaking of the three console manufacturers. They invest in quality and innovation in order to be different and take risks, not to win tech races. Sure for some gamers Labo, Ring Fit, Mario Kart Circuit are all no substitute for sophisticated online and AAA FPS but without Nintendo the video game market would be much more boring and predictable.

Why do people always insist it's the pandemic which has made the Switch a success?, sure it helped the sales of video games for every manufacturer, but the Switch has been in huge demand since it's launch, and has great momentum. VR is nowhere near mainstream enough, so I doubt it will feature that heavily with the Switch 2.
Switch is a success. Its borderline super bonkers. Pandemic super benefited 3 entities. Gamestop…stock , Jeff Bezo’s Ex Wife, and Nintendo. There wont be a switch 2. Otherwise there would have been a Wii 2.
205979-p2.jpg

Portable you can insert in a vr home console.

images

They are all ready experimenting with this gameplay. The only difference it will be on your face.

Switch_RingFitAdventure_lifestylephoto_05.jpg

Basically be Wii 4D.

I love these "profits don't matter" posts. MS has been in the red near constantly, Sony lost a huge chunk of their profits with the PS3. If either was in Nintendo's position (game maker only), they'd be toast. Just ask Sega.
You make it sound like Nintendo only has successful consoles. PlayStation has been much more consistent with 4 of the top 5 best selling home consoles being PlayStation 1 through 4 (until Switch passes PS3).

Let's not pretend the Nintendo 64, GameCube and Wii U didn't happen. I owned all of those (and every other Nintendo console), but they were not very successful and sold less combined than the PS3 (Sony's least successful console) by itself.

Bodomism

Banned
You make it sound like Nintendo only has successful consoles. PlayStation has been much more consistent with 4 of the top 5 best selling home consoles being PlayStation 1 through 4 (until Switch passes PS3).

Let's not pretend the Nintendo 64, GameCube and Wii U didn't happen. I owned all of those (and every other Nintendo console), but they were not very successful and sold less combined than the PS3 (Sony's least successful console) by itself.
PS3 lol, that thing nearly destroyed Sony PlayStation division. That's why profit is really The most important metric to measure the success of the consoles.

bDgkKek.jpg

WiiU is more profitable than PS3.

Hardensoul

I don't think you understood his point. But you also inadvertently proved is his point. N64, GameCube and WiiU may have sold less consoles but Nintendo was still profitable during those console generations due to them not being loss leader in hardware and selling software.

PS3 loss money due to overall console was too expensive and it took Sony a long time to be able to reduce cost of making the console.

And Nintendo don't need to pay 30% royalties to another console maker if they were to go 3rd party like Sega.

well i mean the switch is the only handheld available, there is no other choice on the market and i doubt sony or microsoft will be trying either.

the only thing nintendo have to worry about is an incursion by Apple, ie an official apple controller adapter that turns an iphone into a handheld and they start bringing in actual games.
The key to something like that will always be the quality of the games.

It's kind of mind blowing that Mario Kart 8 outsold Ghost of Tsushima and FFVII Remake in 2020.

Its not a free to play game and any hardcore or fanboy gamers would have picked it up years ago.

Four years on they are somehow still finding new customers to sell this game to.

Thats where any competitor would have serious problems.

I'm sure it looks super easy to just make an Animal Crossing competitior and sell a new console or gaming concept off the back of that. In reality it might be almost impossible.

Marvel14

Banned
I don't think you understood his point. But you also inadvertently proved is his point. N64, GameCube and WiiU may have sold less consoles but Nintendo was still profitable during those console generations due to them not being loss leader in hardware and selling software.

PS3 loss money due to overall console was too expensive and it took Sony a long time to be able to reduce cost of making the console.

And Nintendo don't need to pay 30% royalties to another console maker if they were to go 3rd party like Sega.
I think you're all off your rockers. Nintendo needs to maintain profitability because its business model is undiversified. Sony and MS can operate at a loss to achieve other longer term goals ( scale consumer base, build future tech or network asset advantages).

Comparing them as if they are the same is mighty silly.

KingT731

The key to something like that will always be the quality of the games.

It's kind of mind blowing that Mario Kart 8 outsold Ghost of Tsushima and FFVII Remake in 2020.

Its not a free to play game and any hardcore or fanboy gamers would have picked it up years ago.

Four years on they are somehow still finding new customers to sell this game to.

Thats where any competitor would have serious problems.

I'm sure it looks super easy to just make an Animal Crossing competitior and sell a new console or gaming concept off the back of that. In reality it might be almost impossible.
It's combination of brand loyalty and no competition on their own platform which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Some will never understand their is another demographic that are not interested in the latest triple AAA movie like games, they are not obsessed with graphics or frame rates, they just want to have fun playing video games and do not spend most of their time playing them.

I've always thought it would be funny to see them trying to sell gaming to the average non-gamer.

Trying to convince the chick from work who doesn't like violent movies and doesn't want to learn complex systems just to enjoy her free time that RDR2 or TLOU2 or Ghost of Tsushima is really the best videogames have to offer.

Explaining about frame rates and resolutions and ray tracing and she's like "this racing game looks fun or what about that chilled out game with the cute animals, I want to try those!"

Modern AAA gaming still relies too heavily on violence to sell products. Even the huge movie franchises know to dial down any kind of graphic violence while gaming is still obsessed with realistic deptions of it.

I bet there were many PS5 owners who felt that not only was Astro Bot one of their most fun and enjoyable gaming experiences but that they could really recommend it to others confidently. That's what being a Switch owner is like all the time!

It's combination of brand loyalty and no competition on their own platform which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
One of the key things would also be accessibility.

Looking at true PS5 exclusives after almost 5 months you have Astro Bot, Demons Souls and Returnal. Two of these aren't exactly welcoming to new gamers.

When games really take off it seems to be stuff like Fortnite, Minecraft, Pokemon Go, Rocket League.

I bet if Apple went for their own gaming service they would go down the route of Stadia. Trying to chase performance and sell people on games like Assassin's Creed.

I dunno.

KingT731

One of the key things would also be accessibility.

Looking at true PS5 exclusives after almost 5 months you have Astro Bot, Demons Souls and Returnal. Two of these aren't exactly welcoming to new gamers.

When games really take off it seems to be stuff like Fortnite, Minecraft, Pokemon Go, Rocket League.

I bet if Apple went for their own gaming service they would go down the route of Stadia. Trying to chase performance and sell people on games like Assassin's Creed.

I dunno.
I agree for the most part. Accessibility is absolutely crucial but that is also part of Sony's strategy to offer a variety of things for different types of gamers. You have your 'Demon's Souls' but you also have Sackboy and Bugsnax (not PS5 only) but there is choice there and on the flip side that diverse audience has other choices from 3rd parties. This is also where Nintendo benefits from 'droughts' due to the aformentioned lack of competition on their platform.

Most games take off when it becomes a social phenomena and being Free helps 100%.

I agree with your final point as well. Chasing that power dragon with no vision or talent behind it will always have you falling on your face. You need good games.

Hardensoul

I think you're all off your rockers. Nintendo needs to maintain profitability because its business model is undiversified. Sony and MS can operate at a loss to achieve other longer term goals ( scale consumer base, build future tech or network asset advantages).

Comparing them as if they are the same is mighty silly.
How am I off my rockers? I'm not sure if you are reading my comment correctly.

I agree, I was only commenting on profitability and only the games side because that's majority of Nintendo's business. Sony and Microsoft can afford to be loss leaders in hardware due to their other business segments.

Comparing Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft as a whole would be "off my rockers". Sony/Microsoft are bigger companies and usually don't rely on Games business to keep them afloat.

Last edited:
Top Bottom