• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Comes To The Rescue After 95-Year-Old Grandmother's Game Boy Breaks.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In the Asahi Shimbun, one of Japan’s largest newspapers, 70-year-old Kuniko Tsusaka recounted how her mother always had a Game Boy nearby to play Tetris. But when her mother turned 95 and her health started to suffer, her Game Boy stopped working.

This was her mother’s third Game Boy, and Tsusaka, who lives in Chiba, wasn’t able to find a store selling the handheld nor could she find any shop able to fix it. Tsusaka’s son mentioned Nintendo’s excellent customer service. What followed proves just that.

When the grandson mentioned Nintendo’s excellent customer service, he said kami taiou (神対応), which literally means “god support” or, better yet, “divine interaction,” with kami (神) meaning “god” or “spirit.” It’s used to describe incredible service or corporate responses.

However, Tsusaka thought her son said the word kami (紙) meaning “paper,” so she wrote Nintendo a letter along with the busted Game Boy. Within a week, she got more than a paper response.

Nintendo didn’t have the spare parts to fix the Game Boy, so instead sent along a new Game Boy discovered in its warehouse along with a letter, wishing the grandmother a long life.

Tsusaka’s mother lived until she was 99 years old, in control of her mental facilities right up until the end and counting her blessings along the way. “Up in the sky, she’s thankful, I think,” Tsusaka added. No doubt playing Tetris, too.

bRacing

Banned
While "Tetris 99" would be fitting, old people often hate change, even seemingly obvious upgrades, especially when it concerns technology.
Yeah that's true. Trying to get my mom to upgrade her flip phone has been a pain in the ass.

Scotty W

Gold Member
When the grandson mentioned Nintendo’s excellent customer service, he said kami taiou (神対応), which literally means “god support” or, better yet, “divine interaction,” with kami (神) meaning “god” or “spirit.” It’s used to describe incredible service or corporate responses.

However, Tsusaka thought her son said the word kami (紙) meaning “paper,” so she wrote Nintendo a letter along with the busted Game Boy. Within a week, she got more than a paper response.

Nintendo didn’t have the spare parts to fix the Game Boy, so instead sent along a new Game Boy discovered in its warehouse along with a letter, wishing the grandmother a long life.

Wow! Leave luck to heaven!

daveonezero

Banned
Oh yeah they just happened to find one in the warehouse. Like they don't know exactly where everything is. I bet Nintendo has at least a few dozen of everything they produced.

Not to mention a working Gameboy isn't that hard to come by from what I have read about them.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Yeah that's true. Trying to get my mom to upgrade her flip phone has been a pain in the ass.

My dad can't even use a PC. I remember one time he called me saying the mouse (I don't think he knew the actual term) wasn't working. I went over there and he was pointing it at the screen and clicking it like a remote control.

My mom is better, but even she for the longest time refused to get an HDTV. She claims she can't tell the difference between a picture in high definition than a picture on her old CRT tv.

dolabla

Cool story.

I've always wondered if Nintendo has any brand new old consoles stored away somewhere.

Last edited:
Not knowing about or missing stock is not unheard of. I know occasionally there will be a drought of particular used items and the og game boy could have had this issue at the time.
Great feel good story.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Hold the fuck on. Are you telling me she wasn't able to find a fucking gameboy in Japan? Really? I can still find gameboys in my area and I live in the middle of nowhere!

Why not just give her a Switch Lite with Tetris 99 and Puyo Puyo Tetris?
Based on what's written I think the period when the grandma wrote the letter to Nintendo was years ago.

The grandma passed away at 99 (let's assume sometime this year or even last year) and the Gameboy stopped working when she was 95.

bRacing

Banned
Based on what's written I think the period when the grandma wrote the letter to Nintendo was years ago.

The grandma passed away at 99 (let's assume sometime this year or even last year) and the Gameboy stopped working when she was 95.
RIP Gaming Grandma.

Reminds me of the 80+ year old woman who spent 4 years building a town in AC New leaf.

bRacing

Banned
IIRC that was an American grandma? I seem to remember reading a story like that on Reddit some time ago.
Yeah, she was either American or Canadian. People were pitching in to get her a Switch to play the latest AC. I hope she's still alive (this was a year ago).

GV82

Also had the switch been available it has an operating system to fiddle with, though easy for us to operate, maybe not a 95yr old bRacing bRacing whereas a gameboy is a slot in a cartridge & turn on, thats it.

for a 95yr old a gameboy was probably easier to operate.

Top Bottom