• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo confirms 50% digital sales for Animal Crossing: New Horizons

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Around 50% of Animal Crossing: New Horizons' sales were digital, according to Nintendo president Shuntaro Furukawa, and the game has already surpassed its expected lifetime sales.

Furukawa noted New Horizons' contribution to Nintendo's "high percentage of digital sales" during the last fiscal year. Speaking to the company's investors, he said that 50% of customers in Japan, the US and Europe bought the game digitally.

"The Animal Crossing series is suited to being played as a digital version, and we believe that the timing of its release, coinciding as it did with the rise in calls to remain at home, resulted in some consumers choosing the digital version," Furukawa said.

"We see the very high percentage of digital sales as being due to these unique factors, and have not premised our financial forecast on this trend continuing as it has.

"On the other hand, once consumers experience the convenience of digital downloads, they tend to continue to choose digital downloads in the future, so we think that the percentage of digital sales will increase overall."

Last week, Nintendo announced that Animal Crossing: New Horizons had sold 13.4 million copies since it launched on March 20, making it the highest selling game in the series' history.

Rat Rage

Not surprising during a global pandemic. They shouldn't put too much weight into this number, though. Without lockdown it wouldn't be that high.

Video games like Coronavirus.
The upcoming years are going to be interesting. Publishers love digital sales but their retail partners might expect bigger profit margins from consoles to negate the loses. Dunno.

The last physical copy of a game I purchased was MGS5. My optical drive shit out after that, and when I upgraded to a pro I just stayed all digital. Hell, my gaming pc doesn't even have an optical drive.
I've been 100% digital on Switch.

Moogle11

Banned
Lockdown is good for digital.

It’s also one of the ideal games to buy digitally since it’s something a lot of people will play long term for a bit multiple days a week. Switching carts or discs sucks for that kind of game.

Though, these days the only things I go physical for or “one and done” games I want to play at launch and sell for $45-50 when I’m done. I don’t collect and rarely replay so physical games have no appeal to me other than replay value. And that’s moot for games I’ll play for a year or more.

D.Final

Banned

Around 50% of Animal Crossing: New Horizons' sales were digital, according to Nintendo president Shuntaro Furukawa, and the game has already surpassed its expected lifetime sales.

Furukawa noted New Horizons' contribution to Nintendo's "high percentage of digital sales" during the last fiscal year. Speaking to the company's investors, he said that 50% of customers in Japan, the US and Europe bought the game digitally.

"The Animal Crossing series is suited to being played as a digital version, and we believe that the timing of its release, coinciding as it did with the rise in calls to remain at home, resulted in some consumers choosing the digital version," Furukawa said.

"We see the very high percentage of digital sales as being due to these unique factors, and have not premised our financial forecast on this trend continuing as it has.

"On the other hand, once consumers experience the convenience of digital downloads, they tend to continue to choose digital downloads in the future, so we think that the percentage of digital sales will increase overall."

Last week, Nintendo announced that Animal Crossing: New Horizons had sold 13.4 million copies since it launched on March 20, making it the highest selling game in the series' history.

Awesome deal

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Good now explain why i need to press the A button SEVENTEEN TIMES to confirm to buy a medium rug from savanna. This game needs some serious QOL changes.

Needs to be higher. NOA need to provide reparations for god damn physical ring fit preventing me from playing any other physical game.

No I'm not going to switch carts daily. Just make the game a free download it's pointless without the ring.

D.Final

Banned
Needs to be higher. NOA need to provide reparations for god damn physical ring fit preventing me from playing any other physical game.

No I'm not going to switch carts daily. Just make the game a free download it's pointless without the ring.

Well...

50% of Digital Sales means roughly 80% of more profit for Nintendo (if you discount the Network costs to get the games on the service).

Nintendo may reconsider their Digital aspirations if the lock-down has influenced their finances. They will likely charge more for Virtual Console games should they go down that piecemeal approach if the Subscriptions dry up.

Top Bottom