• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo confirms no price cut for Switch in NA

Marty-McFly

Banned

It’s had 33 consecutive at the top of the US’s NPD charts, amazingly, and really shows little sign of slowing down. A small revision, the Switch OLED, is also coming next month. Europe even got a small price cut for the regular model, but if you’re hoping for a similar story elsewhere (specifically in the United States), you’re out of luck.

A spokesperson for the company confirmed that the main reason for the cut was for trade price agreement reasons and will seemingly not be part of any kind of universal slashing of the price.

jaysius

Banned
“We like stealing the extra money, thanks!”
-Nintendo

“Nintendo selling bargain bin hardware at premium prices since early 2000‘s” - Also Nintendo

I’m not sure who keeps buying those old switches, but it’s a bad standard that many other competitors in the industry are taking note of.

Ezquimacore

Banned
“We like stealing the extra money, thanks!”
-Nintendo

“Nintendo selling bargain bin hardware at premium prices since early 2000‘s” - Also Nintendo

I’m not sure who keeps buying those old switches, but it’s a bad standard that many other competitors in the industry are taking note of.
"stealing extra money" Damn this site keep surprising me for the wrong reasons. If people don't want the product, like the PS3 and the 3ds, they lower the price. If people want the product, they keep the cost high for higher profit. It's called Capitalism, look it up.

R6Rider

Gold Member
young dolph plies GIF by Worldstar Hip Hop

Marty-McFly

Banned
They were #1 for hardware sales in August, why would they?
They've been #1 for 33 months in a row so I don't see the price changing anytime soon.

Corporate Ninty stays winning and greedy.
Yes, you too can be ensnared by the wife or gf to buy them a Switch even if you don't one. The sway of the female is deadly.

I don't think any sane company would drop the price with the sales they're accumulating. They aren't a charity.

I'm sure they're making a good chunk of change on every unit sold.

Buggy Loop

It’s still flying off the shelves 4 freaking years in without a price drop. It’s insane.

They’re basically limited to silicon and assembly deadlines. With a price drop and bigger supply, eventually it would probably be Nintendo’s highest selling hardware.

Chiggs

Why should they? I mean, they just released an update which allows you to use Bluetooth headphones. Talk about value!

Last edited:

iHaunter

They've been #1 for 33 months in a row so I don't see the price changing anytime soon.

I don't think any sane company would drop the price with the sales they're accumulating. They aren't a charity.

I'm sure they're making a good chunk of change on every unit sold.
Because of availability. XSX and PS5 sellout INSTANTLY.

brian0057

Banned
"stealing extra money" Damn this site keep surprising me for the wrong reasons. If people don't want the product, like the PS3 and the 3ds, they lower the price. If people want the product, they keep the cost high for higher profit. It's called Capitalism, look it up.
It's not even that. It's simple supply and demand.
Fuck that Marxist nomenclature. It's the free market.

Last edited:

Genx3

Good, America get everything cheaper than UK/Europe.

You forget that in Europe taxes are included in the price while in the USA it's tacked on when you cash out.
So a $300 Switch in the USA is actually around $320 US dollars.
Or a $500 PS5/XSX is actually around $535 in the USA depending what state you live in.

I hate Nintendo as a console marker, love them as a business. Go sell them that 10 year old android technology Nintendo 💪.
You act like that is the console itself that people are buying. No. They buying console AND exclusive, amazing games, that you can play with people at every age. Nintendo games are almost only games that I play and will play with my kids, and I also play it for myself - this is a genius design that comparable with Disney's masterpieces.
With that said, ironically, the weak hardware (or high prices) is only thing that pisses me off , LOL :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Tschumi

Michael Jordan Reaction GIF

For real feels bad man NA peeps

Nintendo gotta be the kings, the peak, at this kinda stuff, gawd bless'em

Corgi1985

Banned
Wasn't it only the equivalent of about $50? Even at a $100 price cut it's still overpriced and underpowered. You also have to factor in the cost of replacing the shit ass butt joycons with a pro controller. Don't be jealous Europe is still getting a bad deal.

Last edited:
Like the Wii, the Switch won't happen twice, so Nintendo is getting all the cash from it they can. Post OLED will see a drop but it will be gradually and they'll have still made bank on the way down.

Sony could have tried an android portable instead of expensive proprietary goofyness but for some reason they just left the market. Not sure how that Steam Deck will do, it could be a hit, or another Steam Machine

[Sigma]

As along as Sony cannot produce enough PS5s to combat it to the turn the tide while the Switch continues to fly off the shelves, theirs no reason for Nintendo to drop the price.

Last edited:
Like the Wii, the Switch won't happen twice, so Nintendo is getting all the cash from it they can. Post OLED will see a drop but it will be gradually and they'll have still made bank on the way down.

Sony could have tried an android portable instead of expensive proprietary goofyness but for some reason they just left the market. Not sure how that Steam Deck will do, it could be a hit, or another Steam Machine
Isnt the Switch the Wii the second time?

jigglet

Banned
lol @ the people complaining at the small price drop, when it was assumed this was global. Bet you'd take it now wouldn't you :)

I would like confirmation on that. A 2020 or 2019 version. I thought they were similar minus the 60 gamers on the wii.
Uh no? There were many groups that were playing Wii not playing the switch at even a 5th as much or not at all.

Switch has benefitted being a lone wolf for an expanded new generation of youngsters, people who were turned off by 3DS including in japan, Ex-vita buyers, and as a compliment to mobile. While also having groups interested in the TV dock for homeplay.

If Switch had a 3rd of the demographics that played Wii that are missing or significantly less present, it would be heading to 125 plus million sales right now and beating PS2 would be guaranteed

Uh no? There were many groups that were playing Wii not playing the switch at even a 5th as much or not at all.

Switch has benefitted being a lone wolf for an expanded new generation of youngsters, people who were turned off by 3DS including in japan, Ex-vita buyers, and as a compliment to mobile. While also having groups interested in the TV dock for homeplay.

If Switch had a 3rd of the demographics that played Wii that are missing or significantly less present, it would be heading to 125 plus million sales right now and beating PS2 would be guaranteed
I would like confirmation of that tho. I have only seen the demographics of the switch from near launch and those were overwhelmingly the adult demographic even moreso than the PS4 and XBO.

EEDAR-Switch-User-Base.jpg

EEDAR-Switch-Age.jpg

switch-demographics.jpg

Top Bottom