• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo confirms that there are no plans to raise the price of the Nintendo Switch

ManaByte

Switch is 6 million sales away from kicking PS4 down to 5th place in best selling consoles of all time. The only Sony console above Switch will be PS2. Switch has wrecked PS1, PS3, and soon PS4. It's also possible that Switch could surpass PS2 but we need to see what Nintendo's strategy is in the next couple years.
Ok. But the poster said it didn't have 3P support. Third parties are breaking down Nintendo's door for access to that userbase.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
I like to play games above 20 frames a second so I’m good for now until you release a switch 2, thanks for the update though.

I like to play games above 20 frames a second so I’m good for now until you release a switch 2, thanks for the update though.
Don't tell me you play on PS5 or Xbox Series X... you better be a PC gamer.

Ok. But the poster said it didn't have 3P support. Third parties are breaking down Nintendo's door for access to that userbase.
Yes and Switch is kicking ass without major 3P support. Nintendo exclusives are shifting a lot of consoles. The same can't be said of PS5 or Xbox...or even PS4/XB1 or PS3/360.

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

Damn, everyone is murdering SONY right now, even Nintendo is trolling with their illegal prices 😹

adorable love hate GIF

freddie highmore GIF by A&E

Three

No way Valve is making any meaningful profit from SD hardware. Why would literally every other PC handheld sell for 2-3x the price of SD? I think Valve is literally scrapping by, selling for a minimal profit, cause they can earn money via other related means.
Because every other PC handheld sells just the PC handheld so their margin has to pay their employees by just selling hardware. Their margins are much higher. Doesn't mean Valve are selling near BOM cost or taking a loss though.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Good I guess. Although if anything the price should decrease, the damn thing has been out for more than 5(?) years..

I was surprised they upped the price when they launched the OLED. I guess they knew they could get away with it though..

Well, I think they would be hard pressed charging more than they are for the OLED unit as it is. However, this is good news regardless and another dig at Sony for being completely oblivious.

TLZ

Banned
That's not how tech work, the tech being old is one of the reasons of why they could rise the price if manufacturers are not producing it like before because they moved on to something else. And that's why I think they were buying a massive amount of parts and not because some "switch 2" that's not going to be here until 2024.
My dude. Nintendo's whole thing with old tech is buying it matured and cheap. That's their strategy. If they raise prices it'll go completely against what they do and render it pointless. Then might as well invest in new tech and higher prices anyway.

Mr Hyde

Huge Sony fan but they deserve it for doing this.

I'm a huge Playstation fan too. Been with them for 5 generations but Sony deserves eating shit for this. They keep pushing their loyal fans with these ridiculous price gouging to see how much they can get away with but enough is enough. This is where I draw the line in the sand. Sony is currently not about games anymore, they are about greed and money. They need a fucking reality check.

Trunx81

After seeing how much struggle Sony has to even PRODUCE the PS5, I’m thinking that we’ll be having no Switch 2 in a long, long time. Chip shortage is still a thing as is inflation. Nintendo won’t risk to fall into the same trap and release a new console in 2023 when the worlds economy collapses in itself. Yes the demand is getting smaller, as it does for every console over the years. But one price cut can change this, and they know it.

When was the first price cut for PS2?

DKPOWPOW

In other words...

We make more money than you and we about to price drop our shit before the next console comes out and takes you to Azkaban.

Smart move... Smart move...

Woopah

After seeing how much struggle Sony has to even PRODUCE the PS5, I’m thinking that we’ll be having no Switch 2 in a long, long time. Chip shortage is still a thing as is inflation. Nintendo won’t risk to fall into the same trap and release a new console in 2023 when the worlds economy collapses in itself. Yes the demand is getting smaller, as it does for every console over the years. But one price cut can change this, and they know it.

When was the first price cut for PS2?
First price cut for PS2 for Japan was June 2001. For the US it was May 2002.

Switch is 6 million sales away from kicking PS4 down to 5th place in best selling consoles of all time. The only Sony console above Switch will be PS2. Switch has wrecked PS1, PS3, and soon PS4. It's also possible that Switch could surpass PS2 but we need to see what Nintendo's strategy is in the next couple years.

Lets also ignore that the ps5 isn’t even two years old yet and has already outsold Nintendos last console lol

Top Bottom