• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Confirms Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore Japanese Version is Based on Western Version and Features Changes

Sakura

It is because it is tied to FE I believe.
I mean, FE 3 Houses probably has more fanservice still. You get cleavage on characters and can see underskirt. No idea why they go this far with #FE, especially considering how otaku centric it is. Even more so I don't understand why they raise the ages AND censor the costumes..

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, FE 3 Houses probably has more fanservice still. You get cleavage on characters and can see underskirt. No idea why they go this far with #FE, especially considering how otaku centric it is. Even more so I don't understand why they raise the ages AND censor the costumes..
3H had a timeskip so that it would be ok to fuck your students after you beat the game Sounds like a Nintendo decision considering the other Atlus game let you date/fuck an older woman.

Senhua

Is this anything like Persona 5? As I love that game.

Also, and most importantly, do I get to date Waifus?
While Persona mostly about Japanese high school simulator, this is about pop Idol-gravure themes at least in original game, while I'm not sure if the "gravure" part will still available in this global Switch version.

Last edited:

Klayzer

Because they don't want to get bullied off the internet by Resetera / Waypoint.
Nintendo or Atlus has never let criticism from western media types influence their products before, I don't see why this non high profile title is getting this type of scrutiny from higher ups. The assets from the WIIU jp version can't be that hard to port to the Switch.

Sakura

3H had a timeskip so that it would be ok to fuck your students after you beat the game Sounds like a Nintendo decision considering the other Atlus game let you date/fuck an older woman.
Sure but, you could still put however you spell her name loli magic girl into the warlock (?) costume in the first part and show cleavage, and get underskirt shots of the girls during combat.
Meanwhile in #FE they do shit like raise the girls age to 18 and remove any cleavage showing outfits.
I'm not disputing it is a Nintendo decision, just that it doesn't make much sense to me.

Thorpe

I mean Xenoblade Chronicles 2 didn't get censored so this decision really confuses me.

Maybe it was requested by IS?

I don't think this is setting a precedent for the Switch platform (yet). It looks like Nintendo is just saving costs by using the previously modified US version as the basis for this global release/remaster. It's likely why there is no dub still and has limited languages in terms of subtitles. Working on an existing version likely just made sense from a budget perspective, plus they had an International version already. If there are newer edits that weren't in the previous US release of TMS, then I can see this being an issue again.

It's annoying for sure, but I think in this case it's just Nintendo/IS/Atlas just working on one build (unfortunately not the Japanese one) and using that as the go forward.

Last edited:

Shouta

Three Houses had text altered because of content too so it's not like they didn't do something to the game.

Sakura

Three Houses had text altered because of content too so it's not like they didn't do something to the game.
I'm referring to the Japanese version, as the Japanese version of Mirage Sessions is also going to be censored.

kunonabi

Nintendo or Atlus has never let criticism from western media types influence their products before, I don't see why this non high profile title is getting this type of scrutiny from higher ups. The assets from the WIIU jp version can't be that hard to port to the Switch.

They absolutely have. Even Smash Bros. Ultimate wasn't immune.

Shouta

I'm referring to the Japanese version, as the Japanese version of Mirage Sessions is also going to be censored.

Oh, probably has more to do with some sort of agreement like it's not being ported in Japan or something rather than a conscious effort to censor i think

dottme

I really up at least they touch again the censor version of the wedding dress. This was stupid censoring and this was done really badly.

But I was so much expecting that we get access to the Japanese version with the switch port. I’m really disappointed.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Makes sense to tone things down for the younger Nintendo playerbase. Still would have been nice to have a parental control option in the menu or something.

It was a:

- Niche game
- Aimed at weirdos
- Released on the WiiU
- Very late into the WiiU's life, if you can call it that
- That wasn't marketed, like... at all
- And the messaging about what the game even was was confusing from the start

That's why it didn't sell. Not because your plucky high school heroes were dressed a little less like jailbait.

I am one of the very few that didn't care about the censorship and enjoyed the game for what it was/is.

I understand people getting angry over the censorship, but I personally didn't buy it for the Fanservice anyway.

It might sell a little better though as it is on a more popular console.

Is this anything like Persona 5? As I love that game.

Also, and most importantly, do I get to date Waifus?

It has some stuff that Persona 5 copied, like the Phone Messages and "Palace" layout, but it plays more like an SMT game with Fire Emblem Combo attacks and Persona 5 Flair. The animations can get very long but they seemed to have offered to speed those up.

You are stuck with the same Mirage per character, but since they are from Fire Emblem, they tend to have more personality.

It is a weird mixture of games that is more from Persona than SMT but you don't have as many Magic Spells because it mixes some of the SMT/Persona Magics with Fire Emblem.

Last edited:

Lord Thunderbear

Neo Member
Disappointing, but so be it. I'll just skip it then, just like i did with the WiiU version. I didn't like the censoring back then, and i sure won't condone it now. Especially considering that Switch isn't lacking worthwhile games by now.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I’m sad we are getting censored version but I really liked the game back on WiiU despite of its censorship and really want to play it again, so I’m still plan on buying the game.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
100% skipping then. I already have it on Wii U anyway. Don't need another censored version.

Is it Nintendo censoring this, or Atlus?

The only Nintendo group that censors anything is specifically Nintendo of America. Nintendo of Japan doesn't do that. They funded this game in its original state. They told Kamiya and Platinum Games to make Bayonetta 2 more risque, not less, and also let him use slutty Princess Peach costumes in Bayonetta 1. Nintendo of Europe doesn't censor this stuff. They localized Xenoblade 2, and we got it untouched with no changes.

If Nintendo of America leads a localization, they censor.

ranmafan

Honestly, I’m gutted over this decision. The Japanese version was my game of the year when it released. The changes made to the western version sounded ridiculous. This was the one Wii U game I wanted more than any to make it over. But in this way, in Japan as well, it a huge kick in the gut to all the fans of the original game here. And I can tell you as someone who attended the live concert for the game, the fans of it were very passionate for it.

I said it before and I’ll say it again, not that it’s confirmed the Japanese version is the censored version, it will not go over well with the fans of the game here. Very very very bad decision made here, no doubt about it.

Senhua

Honestly, I’m gutted over this decision. The Japanese version was my game of the year when it released. The changes made to the western version sounded ridiculous. This was the one Wii U game I wanted more than any to make it over. But in this way, in Japan as well, it a huge kick in the gut to all the fans of the original game here. And I can tell you as someone who attended the live concert for the game, the fans of it were very passionate for it.

I said it before and I’ll say it again, not that it’s confirmed the Japanese version is the censored version, it will not go over well with the fans of the game here. Very very very bad decision made here, no doubt about it.
It's confirmed at least for now:
Tokyo-Mirage-Sessions-FE-Encore-censorship.jpg

Thanks Twinfinite

Meanwhile I still don't get why TMS#FE was ported instead of a genuinely good Wii U game like Xenoblade X or Pikmin 3.

Last edited:
Meanwhile I still don't get why TMS#FE was ported instead of a genuinely good Wii U game like Xenoblade X or Pikmin 3.

#FE got no attention to the point that most people would have forgotten it existed. The Xenoblade series continued on the Switch and we really need Pikmin 4 instead of a 3 port. Who knows, maybe we even get a Tokyo Mirage 2 that lets me fuck the goddamn waifus.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
This especially hilarious given that Fe's mobile game regularly has designs literally no different than that one. And many of their of their other recently released games (three houses in particular) has similar designs as well.
We should to a scientific test measuring the soy levels of the original development group, the FE: Heroes developers, and the people deciding to censor #FE.

For Science!

Barakov

Gold Member
:messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Nintendo, what are you doing? The T&A is half the reason anybody had any interest in it in the first place. I'm still kinda mystified this game exists. If they put out a proper FE X SMT SRPG it would've sold better and more than likely been a better game than whatever the hell this thing is.

cabbage5k2

We should to a scientific test measuring the soy levels of the original development group, the FE: Heroes developers, and the people deciding to censor #FE.

For Science!
Two control groups being a Yakuza in Japan and an Extinction Rebellion protestor. Agreed?

DESTROYA

Aversa-Localization-Change.jpg

That poorly added on smog effect.

:messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:
Is this the type of censorship we see?
I don’t get it, if the game is good in general just covering up boobies wouldn’t make it bad.( unless seeing anime waifu boobs is your thing )
Personally I’m not for censorship at all but if this the extent of it in game If it’s good it’s good with or without smog covering boobies.
Seeing some side boobies does nothing for me but I was never into this game to begin with.

I'm not condoning censorship at all but if that’s all there is to it .......🤷‍♂️

kunonabi

I don’t get it, if the game is good in general just covering up boobies wouldn’t make it bad.( unless seeing anime waifu boobs is your thing )
Personally I’m not for censorship at all but if this the extent of it in game If it’s good it’s good with or without smog covering boobies.
Seeing some side boobies does nothing for me but I was never into this game to begin with.

I'm not condoning censorship at all but if that’s all there is to it .......🤷‍♂️

There is way more than just this.

dottme

Like you say, they don’t censor a lot often and they do it in an ugly way.
So why censor the game at all and not just keep the original version which is avalaible?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

A lot of outfits were changed in odd ways. Showing a collar bone? How scandalous!

Shifty1897

Wow you guys weren't kidding when you said this was heavily censored. Wtf Nintendo literally just released a game where you are a professor who either tries to murder or bang everyone in the game, I think we can stomach a little cleavage without losing our minds.

kunonabi

Can you explain?
Like I stated earlier I’m not for censorship at all but this seems pretty harmless .

They changed a dungeon dealing with one of the character's reservations and issues with doing sexy gravure photos and changed it to her having a problem wearing hip street clothing. That's actual theme and character work being flushed down the toilet.

Last edited:

McRazzle

100% skipping then. I already have it on Wii U anyway. Don't need another censored version.

The only Nintendo group that censors anything is specifically Nintendo of America. Nintendo of Japan doesn't do that. They funded this game in its original state. They told Kamiya and Platinum Games to make Bayonetta 2 more risque, not less, and also let him use slutty Princess Peach costumes in Bayonetta 1. Nintendo of Europe doesn't censor this stuff. They localized Xenoblade 2, and we got it untouched with no changes.

If Nintendo of America leads a localization, they censor.
I'd be willing to accept a compromise of NoA censoring games, if they made QoL localization changes as well; such as Zelda's sword breaking, increasing the challenge in Kirby/Yoshi games, customizing controller options, etc...
I wonder if it's just a case of no one at Nintendo of America having any balls to criticize gameplay designs vs dialog and boobie designs.

Top Bottom