• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Confirms Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore Japanese Version is Based on Western Version and Features Changes

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
source via PC

TMS-Tsubasa-Oribe-2.jpg

Purseowner Central said:
With both the Japanese and Western releases of the game being worldwide on January 17, 2020, it appears that they will also share the exact same content.

The original version of Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE featured various localization changes from the Japanese version in the West due to what were stated as different cultural sensibilities. The changes ranged from character outfits, to story elements, to characters’ ages.

One of the elements removed from the Western version of the game was the “To the Secret Hot Springs GO!” DLC video promotions. Seemingly, with the Japanese version being based on the Western version now, the downloadable content will be removed from the game entirely.

Unacceptable. The game sold like crap the first time it was released so I don't get the point of re-releasing it like this. Specially at full price.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I seriously doubt the first release sold like crap because it was censored. I don't like that they're using the cleaned-up version as the base, but let's not be disingenuous about it.
It was a niche product aimed at a small fanbase who are mostly vocal about people not removing content from their niche games. It makes perfect sense.

Zaffo

I seriously doubt the first release sold like crap because it was censored. I don't like that they're using the cleaned-up version as the base, but let's not be disingenuous about it.

It's a niche game aimed at informed users who know exactly what they are buying, take the stuff they like away from them and you are going to lose a numbers of sales form your already small audience.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe if it was more accurate to the original trailer people would have liked it more. Nobody wanted the end result.

They ended up making an Idol game, that will for the second time be censored. The worst thing about this is that I thought we were over this shit this gen.

Reactions: Isa

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
It was a niche product aimed at a small fanbase who are mostly vocal about people not removing content from their niche games. It makes perfect sense.

It was a:

- Niche game
- Aimed at weirdos
- Released on the WiiU
- Very late into the WiiU's life, if you can call it that
- That wasn't marketed, like... at all
- And the messaging about what the game even was was confusing from the start

That's why it didn't sell. Not because your plucky high school heroes were dressed a little less like jailbait.

Last edited:
Lol, I guarantee will bomb in Japan. Why buy shit western localized ver when you can buy an used WIIU + game just for <=$100 at mom & pop stores in Akiba.

For convenience and portable play? I’m not going to clutter my living room with a Wii U and I own an 2000 square foot house. Typical Japanese families live in under 500 sq ft.

Senhua

For convenience and portable play? I’m not going to clutter my living room with a Wii U and I own an 2000 square foot house. Typical Japanese families live in under 500 sq ft.
I'm in Japan and I guarantee the target market for this kind of games (Gravure Idol) doesn't care much about their home space as long as they can play the original version (just buy consoles + game and sell both after finished it).

• Thoughtful

-Arcadia-

Banned
It was a:

- Niche game
- Aimed at weirdos
- Released on the WiiU
- Very late into the WiiU's life, if you can call it that
- That wasn't marketed, like... at all
- And the messaging about what the game even was was confusing from the start

That's why it didn't sell. Not because your plucky high school heroes were dressed a little less like jailbait.

Well, uh...

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Nintendo has been hands off when it comes to censorship on the Switch, I wonder why they made this title an exception. Puzzling decision to say the least...
It is because it is tied to FE I believe.

I was so hyped after the initial teaser, but I lost all interest once the actual game was revealed. Probably the only time that's ever happened.
You play videogames?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Nintendo has been hands off when it comes to censorship on the Switch, I wonder why they made this title an exception. Puzzling decision to say the least...
They are off hand when it comes to properties wholly developed by a third party.

Nintendo has involvement with this regarding the Fire Emblem franchise.

They are just being really stupid here.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
They are off hand when it comes to properties wholly developed by a third party.

Nintendo has involvement with this regarding the Fire Emblem franchise.

They are just being really stupid here.
Yeah, still don't get why they'd do this but ok whatever FE Heroes does.

Considering completely new content is being added to the game, I am interested to see, if any adjustments are made to the previously-altered material from the Western releases.

Ultimately, this news seems most telling about Nintendo's potential expectations for the game's sales, that they'd rather live with a single censored version, rather than create different content for different regions or deal with whatever it takes to internationally release the game's original content from the Japanese Wii-U.

Regardless, looks like I'll be skipping this title for a second time.

Last edited:

Pejo

What a stupid move. This would have been the perfect move to get double dippers if they just re-localized the JP version. Who the hell is going to buy this now that didn't already get it on WiiU?

Idiots.

Senhua

Yeah, still don't get why they'd do this but ok whatever FE Heroes does.
Gacha games still been made with Japanese market first, same as FGO but sadly looks like for consoles Nintendo more increasingly adopt for global taste when the games been designed to appeal to as much market as possible.

FE 3H while had been the most sucessfull FE outside Japan but in Japan, physical sales still lag behind Fates and on par with Awakening. Massively toned down fanservice element from previous entry + otome artstyle contribute a lot for this downward trend in Japan.

• Thoughtful
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Gacha games still been made with Japanese market first, same as FGO but sadly looks like for consoles Nintendo more increasingly adopt for global taste when the games been designed to appeal to as much market as possible.

FE 3H while had been the most sucessfull FE outside Japan but in Japan, physical sales still lag behind Fates and on par with Awakening. Massively toned down fanservice element from previous entry + otome artstyle contribute a lot for this downward trend in Japan.
I completely understand this. While I enjoyed the game and the characters the artstyle is horrible. Still then after XC2 I expected Nintendo to be less retarded.

Klayzer

Ohh well. I enjoyed the WIIU version regardless of the unnecessary censorship, I will enjoy the Switch version as well. Just was hoping to get the original jp version.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
XB2 is massively censored but the text portion only so if you will not aware if don't understand Japanese.
There are some youtube video from Censored Gaming (if I not wrong) which do the comparison for it.
Shit translation doesn't entirely mean =/= censorship. What did they change? Hana's dialogue and Homura's big sister act?

YukiOnna

My only question is... why? You got dogged on last time for doing this and now out of spite you make every version censored? wot

Top Bottom