• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Confirms Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore Japanese Version is Based on Western Version and Features Changes

The reason why people use the "localization" argument is because they agree with the changes and want to make it seem like it's something that the majority of the audience that will be purchasing the game actually want changed.

You know, like back in the day when you had outraged Christians/Catholics raging about blood, sex and religious imagery in games.

When companies made changes to their games apparently they were doing it because those outraged people were the majority of their audience? No, that's not it.

This "localization" is done purely for the attempted appeasement of those morally outraged elements. They are not targeted at the people who are actually purchasing the game.

It's like someone being offended at the sight of blood in games, and when a game gets its blood/gore removed and people complain they retort with "It's just localization guys! Stop complaining! This is what the audience wants! They don't like over-gorification!".

The Russia example I gave earlier completely dismantles this. Absolutely no one who's using the "localization" argument now in that thread would dare to use it in that hypothetical scenario. It's a completely disingenuous argument.
For the most part, I agree. The vision of the creator should be preserved. The only time I will ever make the localization arguement is when people claim nuance lost in translation is censorship. I don't mean situations where unrelated topics are shoehorned into dialogue where it wasn't originally, I literally mean meaning conveyed in the original text does not make the jump from one language to another despite effort made to preserve it.

Last edited:
For the most part, I agree. The vision of the creator should be preserved. The only time I will ever make the localization arguement is when people claim nuance lost in translation is censorship. I don't mean situations where unrelated topics are shoehorned into dialogue where it wasn't originally, I literally mean meaning conveyed in the original text does not make the jump from one language to another despite effort made to preserve it.

So you're referring to things like idioms and terms that have no direct equivalents in English? IIRC translators generally try to use different idioms and/or terms that are as close as possible to the original in meaning so you still get the message across, or as much of it as they possibly can since languages do not translate 1:1 to each other.

theclaw135

Banned

Censorship is best understood in context. When people get angry, they sorta forget game creators aren't infallible.

It's also possible for certain types to changes to have rationales other than censoring. Perhaps something slipped into a game that justifiably doesn't belong, for instance plagiarism.
(suppose the bikinis had been swiped designs all along, and only discovered now four years later. this controversy would be very interesting indeed...)

Senhua

RJwMWKK.jpg
LMAO That Xzszatm look MALD. Cannot describe how wrong is he/she/it about the issue.
1. Still have a lot of non fanservice western games to be enjoyed for.
2. Still a lot of Japanese made games who targeted overseas market like, even almost all big japanese games these days target western market first : Capcom's, SE's, even Nintendo's etc
3. Even in the specific souls genre: IMO only Code Vein, the big AAA games which feature some fanservice element.
So why he/she/it blabling about "all Japanese games is all about Anime Sex"?
I Intend to buy the Switch and wait for the inevitable uncensored mods.
Hmm maybe you can:
1. Buy it used/ wait for discount
2. And youtube all the uncensored Wii U JP version content

or the other way:
1. Buy Wii U version and mod and play it with Emulator
2. Just youtube the Encore & Hotspring DLC

Last edited:

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Tell me, if a game that has gore on it and they take out all the gore is it not censorship as long as the plot dosen't change!?

I don't consider that censorship, no. Gore doesn't alter the events of a videogame, movie, or TV show, it's just extra detail.

Do you consider movies that are sanitized of language and violence for TV broadcast censorship?

I've never seen a message board so concerned about what folks in other message boards are posting.

Last edited:
Or you could actually try to play it and see it pretty damn good game, but I'm guessing you are here just to post on the topic you know nothing about and have no interest in it.

Some one call the Weeboolance for the defense force.

Yes, I did play it, it wasn't good, the games been a controversy since it's launched as well, welcome to reality. If that's your standard defense for someone having a different opinion than you then you may need to be put on a timeout from mommy.

brap

Banned
Some one call the Weeboolance for the defense force.

Yes, I did play it, it wasn't good, the games been a controversy since it's launched as well, welcome to reality. If that's your standard defense for someone having a different opinion than you then you may need to be put on a timeout from mommy.
Lol. I like Danjin but that really is his defense for everything.

Top Bottom