• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo could make a cutting edge system -But shouldn't

sainraja

Yes, everyone understands that.

Discs are basically an unnecessary step, which is why I switched to fully digital for PS5 and XSX.
Discs have become a license verification/installing mechanism now which is fine but even during the PS360 era, game studios were starting to use the disk more and more. The 360 dodged that for the most part due to the SKU that didn't come with a HDD, which I thought was an odd choice by Microsoft given they were the ones to ship their first system with HDD standard (and I know before anyone says it, that there were some titles that did require one (HDD) regardless).

Anyway, I know what you were getting at and I wasn't trying to be dismissive but that point would have been stronger if it was due to a disc drive the new consoles were faster.

Last edited:

Fitzchiv

That blue-ocean they opened up is now international waters, that's their issue at some point. Right now there's absolutely zero reason for Nintendo to do anything other than what they do, particularly not repositioning to the "high performance" end of the industry.

The issue will be when, and it is when, someone else comes after their share. They may need to decide about licensing on other consoles or moving back toward Microsoft and Sony it that happens, but right now it's all pretty stable.

tommib

There games can look exactly the same to me, I’d be happy as long as they increase the docked resolution, fps, and load times for their games.

Metroid ran like shit on switch and that was a 2D game
Dread didn’t run like shit. Jesus the hyperbole. It gets some framedrops when there’s a lot of shit happening on screen like most games (like it’s normal). Game was super solid tech-wise. “Ran” much better than Elden Ring on PS5 for instance. And I think ER runs fine as well. You people are spoiled! 😘

Dread didn’t run like shit. Jesus the hyperbole. It gets some framedrops when there’s a lot of shit happening on screen like most games (like it’s normal). Game was super solid tech-wise. “Ran” much better than Elden Ring on PS5 for instance. And I think ER runs fine as well. You people are spoiled! 😘

again, no teven making excuses for elden ring but it' literally a 3d open world game with almost zero loading screens.

comparing that to metroid dread which looks like a 3ds game is crazy

Ozriel

M$FT
Why do they need to? They're setting records with the switch and decade old hardware. Dumbest thing would be to make a cutting edge console.

Making a cutting edge handheld would ensure they keep getting ports of next gen titles, which means they make more money from 3rd party software sales.

tusharngf

all nintendo had to do is to provide another switch with 1080p mid low graphics solution and they can sell another 100 million box. No need to touch 4k or 2k at all and they are pretty safe for next 10yrs.

coffinbirth

Must be. I'm having a hard time seeing what 12 TFLOPS of power would bring to Mario. Maybe Nintendo would finally turn on anti-aliasing.
Have you played a Switch game? Anything beyond GameCube level complexity runs like ass.
Cutting edge in terms of what.

Intel 13900k plus rtx 4080?

Or just the latest Nvidia mobile tegra.

Because they absolutely should embrace the latter.
Those are $1k kits, so not likely. Even the cutdown Xavier boards are still $400, so we're talking about Nintendo likely still being about four Tegra generations behind, but hey, maybe they'll deliver a machine that manages to push a teraflop for $300...in 2024. And yeah, I understand buying at scale greatly reduces this, but expecting anything other than a refined X2 is foolish. Xavier and it's tensor cores is where they need to land to expect any even remotely decent ports in the near future, but Nintendo would probably have to sell that hardware at a loss...and that all goes without saying Nintendo would almost certainly struggle to deliver games in a timely fashion that even take advantage of said hardware. They are nearly two generations behind in the entire process.

Jermare

Neo Member
I don't think Nintendo should make a cutting edge system, but I really hope the next one is only slightly behind the other consoles rather than generations behind (so to speak). The Wii U was in the perfect spot specs-wise IMO. The Switch at this point is way behind. My hope is that the next Nintendo system is at the level of the PS4 Pro/Xbox One X, with DLSS helping out.

I agree but I think they need a better balance to please more people. Like maybe make the hardware half a gen or so behind everyone else instead of 2 or 3 gens, that’s just feeble.

Difficult with mobile hardware but they could do something, like a pro model for those that want it.

Ristifer

You don’t have to show up to the plate when you’ve already won.
I disagree. There's something to be said about keeping continuous quality. A lot of companies do this when they settle into a groove and get maximum profit. The Switch is decent enough as it is, and the games are fun. But Nintendo could easily improve other aspects of their delivery.
Happy Excuse Me GIF
Yeah. It's archaic now because they've regressed from what their approach used to be. Did you read the whole post?

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

Shining Star

Neo Member
I think they mean it took a long time to load which it did.

would love nintendo consoles to be more powerful like the old days, but i cant see it happening unless nintendo needs the extra horsepower for some unique console feature.

DLSS is a great fit for what theyre doing these days. hope the next switch also has some RT cores for some mild raytracing.

Ristifer

104 million people disagree.
That's fine. Let them disagree all they want. Nintendo knows how to run their business. I'm not even arguing that. They know how to maximize their profits from the lowest amount of effort possible. But they used to do a lot more with actual initiative and innovation. People can blindly buy things all they want. Doesn't mean Nintendo's putting in the same amount of effort. They just know that people will come out in droves to purchase their next system. It's easy for them. It got too easy. Which is why a lot of their services are awful.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I just hope the next switch has m.2 storage somehow, as the current load times can be a bit long.

MikeM

Its painful to me what BOTW could have been on something more powerful.

I personally have no interest in buying a nintendo console until they make something that will allow devs to push fidelity of their fantastic IP.

cireza

Banned
They have a great long-term strategy in that eventually it would become indistinguishable between low end and high end graphics based on human perception.
I think I can understand how they are trying to achieve this.

Once that all humans will have played Switch a lot, and will have been exposed to the blurry, low resolution, low framerate for long enough, their eyes will be damaged enough that they will never be able to see clear again. Thus making high end graphics indistinguishable from low end.

Last edited:

Soosa

Banned
It seems to be the current sentiment. That Nintendo can't compete in the high-end space. But this is historically not true... and only a trend that has been accepted by Nintendo based on their blue ocean strategy since the Wii.

They have a great long-term strategy in that eventually it would become indistinguishable between low end and high end graphics based on human perception.

They're the true innovators. They brought rumble, they brought gyro, and they brought most controls in general. You know what the other two are going to bring every generation, but you have no idea what Nintendo will do.

From GAMERS perspective:

Nintendo hardware is much weaker than it could be.

There are options between so weak that it can barely run games vs cutting edge, you know?

When switch launched, it already were low spec machine. They could have had custom SoC with more ram + bandwith + flash space, but they chose to take the stock option with low ram + flash + bandwith.
(yes, there werent many stock options that would have been much better, but using custom desing there would have been better options.)

Anyone whom claims that switch is perfect is delusional, even Nintendo games would greatly benefit from better specs.

And they are selling cheap product with premimum price, if it would have launched for 200-250€ then it would be fine.

To me, it would be good enough if it would run old games like witcher 3 etc. with stable 30-60fps AND med-high details 720p handheld, 1080p docked at least.

From BUSINES perspective:

it is epic, sell old slow hardware for maximum profit and it contiues to sell.

People should not mix what is best to gamers vs what is best for the company.

Majukun

everyone can if they want

the issue is pricing it accordingly.

bleeding edge stuff costs money, and while big companies like sony or microsoft can lower their margins at the start or straight up sell at loss, nintendo only has one source of revenue (well, mainly), and they decided to go for another direction, which is working very well for them.

Ozriel

M$FT
😂 Ya they're really struggling with their plan. Pleaseeeee, waste of money. Nintendo ain't listening to dumb GAFer that's for damn sure.

Nobody said they’re struggling. I’m saying they could make even more

You’re right that they aren’t listening to you 😂

Alan Wake

That's true. At the Switch reveal, I had no idea that Nintendo would:
  • Release a console that can have its screen scratched by their first-party docking solution.
  • Have controls that develop analog drift at such a high percentage that it got the attention of a class action suit.
  • Lock you out of your virtual console purchases and instead put that content behind a subscription based paywall.
  • Release a Lite version of the "Switch" that literally could no longer do the thing that its namesake said it could.
  • Release games where only some of the content necessary for play was actually on the game cart and the rest was a required download.
  • Have an account model where you can only play your digital games on more than one system if you have an internet connection even though it's a portable system so online connections are not a given.
Look, I love my Switch. I think it's great. It is nothing special though. It's just a Gameboy with TV-out. Which again, is great. But comparatively, it's probably the worst thing Nintendo's ever released. The Switch's design is fairly boring and I'm honestly shocked it made the splash that it did. Right place, right time.
I'm very surprised too. It's a nice console, make no mistake. But a record selling one, knocking everything out of the water? I did not see that one coming, especially after the Wii U (which was flawed in many ways but it did have a number of true gems). Hate the JoyCons. Love the Pro Controller.

OP has low standards for innovation. Really, this thread is just coming off as a non-relevant fan boy post.
What are your standards? Granted, my perspective is that of an almost 43 year old gamer that collects and plays EVERYTHING. I am a fanboy. Mostly of Nintendo and Windows PC because they raised me... But I see the brilliance in Microsoft's overall strategy and Sony's evolution into an undisputed AAA cinematic developer and their branding.

I was just feeling good and I think Nintendo is misunderstood when it comes to how they develop hardware.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Hate to break it to you but Switch is more capable than PS3/XB360 so that was not a downgrade...
Skyrim on Switch is a downgrade from PS4/Xbox One Skyrim. I don't consider the Switch to be in direct heads-up competition with the PS3 and Xbox 360.

Last edited:

Catphish

Nintendo make my favourite games. I just sometimes wish we could see something like Breath of the Wild on a cutting edge console. As in ‘developed’ for the console, not running in 4k on a pc emulator.

Will never happen though. Their balance of power versus profit is off the charts, so they have zero incentive to release a genuinely powerful console.
I just wish they'd allow games like BotW, which would clearly benefit from the power available, to be released on PC.

I doubt that decision would put much of a dent, if any, in their console sales. And whatever dent it did make, would likely be made up by the sales of the game.

I mean, as a PC gamer, there's no way in hell I would buy a Switch just for BotW, as much as I want to play it, because I'm simply unimpressed by the Switch's power. And I'm sure I'm not alone in that regard.

FStubbs

The OP is false. Nintendo literally can not make a cutting edge console system in terms of raw horsepower. The last time they tried was the Wii U, and that not only failed to sell, it failed to be cutting edge.

The Switch was very competitive for a mobile/handheld in 2017 (a theoretical PSP3 released that same year would have been about the same power), but if someone is looking for cutting edge, Nintendo isn't the place to look.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Would Nintendo creating a powerful console cause problems for Sony or Microsoft? Yeah.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
What are your standards? Granted, my perspective is that of an almost 43 year old gamer that collects and plays EVERYTHING. I am a fanboy. Mostly of Nintendo and Windows PC because they raised me... But I see the brilliance in Microsoft's overall strategy and Sony's evolution into an undisputed AAA cinematic developer and their branding.

I was just feeling good and I think Nintendo is misunderstood when it comes to how they develop hardware.
If you're aiming to defend Nintendo, you're taking on the wrong narrative IMO. The fact that the console is underpowered can't be argued. However they're emphasizing different values in their design. They're not gonna win the horsepower race, probably ever again. But unless they can get other values going, there won't be another hardware proposition. It's just gonna happen in a different way.

Robb

Gold Member
I agree that they shouldn’t. I like that Nintendo takes weird gambles and make unique systems. I’m not sure I would be as interested if they just made a system that was similar to Ps/XB.

I’m sure they’ll introduce some new crazy idea that they thought would be fun in the next iteration if the Switch as well, and I can’t wait to see what they come up with!

Last edited:

Woopah

Nintendo studios are not prepared to start developing high tech games all of sudden, Nintendo is investing in old tech for the last decade and half.
We can clearly see that even with old tech Nintendo studios are struggling to have a steady throughput of new games.

Unlike Sony and Microsoft. Sony studios reaching cutting edge technology in the last generation with their in-house engines, and Microsoft already has eight studios developing games on UE5.

So the best strategy for Nintendo imo is to just keep iterating on Nintendo Switch, invest in backwards compatibility and maintenance of digital goods.
Nintendo are one of the most prolific major publishers in the industry. They had a bad year in 2020 and a mediocre one in 2018, but apart from that they publish a lot of new games each year. They are certainly not struggling currently.
Have you played a Switch game? Anything beyond GameCube level complexity runs like ass.

Those are $1k kits, so not likely. Even the cutdown Xavier boards are still $400, so we're talking about Nintendo likely still being about four Tegra generations behind, but hey, maybe they'll deliver a machine that manages to push a teraflop for $300...in 2024. And yeah, I understand buying at scale greatly reduces this, but expecting anything other than a refined X2 is foolish. Xavier and it's tensor cores is where they need to land to expect any even remotely decent ports in the near future, but Nintendo would probably have to sell that hardware at a loss...and that all goes without saying Nintendo would almost certainly struggle to deliver games in a timely fashion that even take advantage of said hardware. They are nearly two generations behind in the entire process.
The leak from Nvidia had them working on a SoC with tensor cores, so there is hope for that. It could be on Orin instead of Xavier.

The Steam Deck is going to be a reminder for the device people want Nintendo to make but who is too cheap to develop. They aren't going to give up that relatively inexpensive $200-300 multidevice-per-home strategy that's been driving their mindblowing success.

So unless Nintendo monkey paws things up somehow, expect more interation than innovation.

REDRZA MWS

They ain’t doing shit. They can’t compete in the big boy Space. Their niche is cheaper, 2 gen’s older hardware and rely on their fans (and gimmicks) They are the Disney of gaming.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

The reason they don't compete in the power race anymore is not because they can't, its because the market doesn't even want a powerful Nintendo home console anymore, only some insignificant fanboys on forums do. They tried this twice with the Nintendo 64 and GameCube, those didn't sell to Nintendo's expectations compared to their portables. The Wii was a success thats why they gave it another shot with the Wii U, when that didn't worked they merged their console and handheld divisions (wich proved to be the correct strategy).

That's all there is, they want to sell a mass market friendly machine that people can use to carry their favorite games where they go (and its popular in Japan) the Switch is not for nerds sitting on their gamer couch all day playing with their power hungry PC and 8k monitor.

The reason they are able to get away with this is in their very game design,they make them unique enough and high quality that you won't be able to find a better 'Zelda' than Zelda elsewhere, or a better 'Super Mario' than Mario.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
The power of a Nintendo console is irrelevant to Nintendo games, but it would only help them to have a comparable spec to Sony and MS. It wouldn’t hurt them in the slightest.

Marvel14

Banned
And the experience compared to the PS4/Xbox One versions is a graphical downgrade. What's your point?
That it's not a game made for pS4 that was downgraded to Switch like Witcher 3 or Doom. It's a PS3 game that's been upgraded to Switch but the upgrade is limited compared to the upgrade that PS4 got. Also Switch is essentially a portable higher spec ps3/x360 which is pretty bloody awesome.

Last edited:
Top Bottom