• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo crosses 800 million consoles sold, No. 1 console maker in the World

Mozza

Looks like they have changed the Wikipedia best selling game consoles site, they now have a list with every type of console listed, and individual lists for home and handheld consoles, yes guys both these types of device are still listed as consoles.

Shock horror and surprise however, the Switch is present in both the home and handheld lists, will not please many on here though. ;)

Mozza

I'm amazed that we've somehow managed to drag up the old "Wii doesn't count versus PS3 and Xbox 360" malarky from all those years ago. As if that doesn't perfectly demonstrate the whole "X doesn't count because it's can't be better than my precious" mentality in the console wars perfectly.

The logic leaps used to move the goalposts are fascinating. Nevermind that they inevitably fall apart when put into context against past generations or even against current market activity or context.
It's not just that, i realize there are differences between home and handheld consoles, although why sales should come into it all is a mystery to me, but now the argument has moved to handhelds are not actually gaming consoles at all, the whole argument has gone way beyond stupidity at this point.

To everyone praising Sony:
1. This is a Nintendo thread, you can celebrate Sony accomplishments in the multiple Sony thread in this same forum
2. Did you not read where it says that from the moment Sony entered the videogame business Nintendo has increased its lead over them on total number of consoles sold?
On a per-console average, I would bet that the Sony consoles do better.

Mozza

On a per-console average, I would bet that the Sony consoles do better.
The Vita might have pulled that average down though, just goes to show, no manufacturer is exempt from a console failure now and again, which is probably why some Sony fans do not want to class handhelds as consoles, worked it out now. ;)

Last edited:

Von Hugh

Records are made to be broken.

And sometimes, they're meant to be shattered.

All it takes is the perfect storm of ability and opportunity, and right now Sony has a ripe opportunity to cash in.

Unfortunately, since the pandemic, Sony hasn't had the ability.

This will most likely change soon, as more chip foundries are being built worldwide as we speak.

Happy Joel Mchale GIF by ABC Network

The Vita might have pulled that average down though, just goes to show, no manufacturer is exempt from a console failure now and again, which is probably why some Sony fans do not want to class handhelds as consoles, worked it out now. ;)
Probably because consoles are in a different classes than handhelds. Even with the Vita, I’d argue that the per-device sales are higher for PS devices.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
No, it's the one everyone everyone uses because it's the official one provided by Sega. It includes units manufactured by licensed companies like Majesco or Tectoy, and obviously doesn't include and shouldn't include pirate clones from chinese brands.

If you can provide a source with an official statement from Sega mentioning a higher number feel free to share it. All serious places will update their number and will stop saying MD sold that.
actually it doesn't include Majesco and Teytoy. It based on the numbers from 1996.
30.75 million sold by Sega worldwide as of March 1996,[44][54]not including third-party sales. In addition, Tec Toy sold 3 million in Brazil,[87][88] and Majesco Entertainment projected it would sell 1.5 million in the United States

And the award for the most backhanded comment of the day goes too...... ;)

It was not meant as a compliment. Nintendo is the worst when it comes to exploiting its voracious fanbase, but seeing as people keep buying the same game, over and over again, at full price, I can not fault them for making billions of dollars.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Wait.
There’s a serious argument here for PS5 going to sell 200 million?
PS2 couldn’t do that in an age when PC and console gaming were almost mutually exclusive.
And you think PS5 can outsell PS2 when plenty of high-end PC gamers can simply play 100% of the multiplats on PC, and may even get Sony’s first party games in the near future?

200 million is more than the combined sales of 3 generations of XBox, ffs.

Come On Man GIF by memecandy

Sony Fanboys are only jealous because Nintendo Wrect both the PSP and Vita 😂
Are Nintendo fanboys jealous because PS1 wrecked the N64 (102.5 mil vs 33 mil), PS2 WRECKED the GameCube (155 mil vs 22 mil), and PS4 wrecked the Wii U (115 mil and counting vs 13.5 mil)?

The disparity in home consoles is even larger than the disparity in handhelds (DS 154 mil vs PSP 82 mil and 3DS 76 mil vs Vita 15 mil).

At the end of the day, Nintendo dominates the handheld console front while PlayStation dominates the home console front.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
As reported in the Nintendo’s latest Financial Report as June 2021 Nintendo have sold in total 800.84 million consoles worldwide since 1983*.
Nintendo is, by a wide margin, the console manufacturer which has sold the most consoles in the World.

Total number of videogame consoles sold by manufacturer as June 2021 (only console makers which have sold at least 30 million units):
tGWM3wY.jpg

A curiosity:
As March 1995 (PS1 was launched in December 1994 in Japan) NES + GB + SNES had sold in total 141.49 million units therefore since the introduction of the PlayStation brand of consoles Nintendo has sold around 95 million consoles more than what Sony did in the same timeframe.

* Note:
I considered only the stand alone consoles with interchangeable software (no Color TV Game, no Game & Watch, no Nintendo plug & play retro consoles, no PlayStation Classic, no PocketStation, no add-ons in general).

Useful links:

So they are counting arcade machines as well?

Wait.
There’s a serious argument here for PS5 going to sell 200 million?
PS2 couldn’t do that in an age when PC and console gaming were almost mutually exclusive.
And you think PS5 can outsell PS2 when plenty of high-end PC gamers can simply play 100% of the multiplats on PC, and may even get Sony’s first party games in the near future?

200 million is more than the combined sales of 3 generations of XBox, ffs.

Come On Man GIF by memecandy

Some of the sales will be inflation. Like some guys owning PS5/PC/Switch under one roof. Also many shops here buy PS4's in bulk like big restaurants where you can rent a room and play or watch tv, and many amusement shops. It'll be the same or more with PS5.

Last edited:

Celine

actually it doesn't include Majesco and Teytoy. It based on the numbers from 1996.
The "30.75M" figure is how many Mega Drive consoles Sega had shipped in total, as communicated to CESA.
As March 1996 Sega had shipped 28.54 million Mega Drive/Genesis consoles.

if you are interested in well researched sales for old consoles there is this useful thread on GAF:

KxRXdti.png

SaucyJack

Are Nintendo fanboys jealous because PS1 wrecked the N64 (102.5 mil vs 33 mil), PS2 WRECKED the GameCube (155 mil vs 22 mil), and PS4 wrecked the Wii U (115 mil and counting vs 13.5 mil)?

The disparity in home consoles is even larger than the disparity in handhelds (DS 154 mil vs PSP 82 mil and 3DS 76 mil vs Vita 15 mil).

At the end of the day, Nintendo dominates the handheld console front while PlayStation dominates the home console front.

This 👆

Even if you treat the Switch as a home console, well over half of Nintendo's total is handhelds. Switch is a hybrid but I tend to see it as a handheld that you can dock.

Kudos to them though, gotta love Nintendo.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
This 👆

Even if you treat the Switch as a home console, well over half of Nintendo's total is handhelds. Switch is a hybrid but I tend to see it as a handheld that you can dock.

Kudos to them though, gotta love Nintendo.
yep but looking at the rearview mirror there's an outsider that is climbing really fast, you've all guessed it ,You've all been expecting it, It's about to become the overall leader and that's a FACT, THHHHEEEEEE OOOOOOUUUUUUYYYYYYAAAAAAAA !!!!!!!
yeah guys you know it will eventually win.

Last edited:
Top Bottom