• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo deserves praise for adding meaningful free stuff to their games in an age where most companies sell you skins and useless bullshit

MagnesG

Banned
The value prop isn’t there though. If/when we praise Nintendo for basic stuff that other developers do constantly, we enable Nintendo to create half-cocked products. Their DLC model is one of the worst in the industry too. Ex: BoTWs season pass. Why do we have to buy the whole thing and not piecemeal? I still have not finished Trial Of The Sword to this day!
I don't see any kinds of praising the basic stuff Nintendo does, just consumers playing and enjoying what they bought justifiably.
Btw, BOTW season pass is pretty good actually what do you mean? That opinion couldn't be further than being divisive at best.

And why are you blaming the company for not being able to finish the content lol? This is absurd, and Trial of the Sword is not that hard too. Just wow.

Nintendo came to the dlc game late so they don't feel comfortable fleecing people for mundane shit yet.

Also what's with the price whining? In Japan digital copies for sony games cost more than in the stores. Everyone sells their games for the same price years later but you can get around that by buying used which, unlike gamestop, has games that you can barely tell apart for pretty big discounts.

I don't see any kinds of praising the basic stuff Nintendo does, just consumers playing and enjoying what they bought justifiably.
Btw, BOTW season pass is pretty good actually what do you mean? That opinion couldn't be further than being divisive at best.

And why are you blaming the company for not being able to finish the content lol? This is absurd, and Trial of the Sword is not that hard too. Just wow.
I didn’t finish Trial of The Sword not because I couldn’t(lol) but I don’t actually find it all that interesting 🤷🏿‍♂️ Secondly, as I stated before, the problem with Nintendo’s dlc model is that you cannot buy content a la carte. This applies to properties not even owned by Nintendo such as Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3. And are you making a funny here? This very topic starts off(and propagates) praising Nintendo for doing basic stuff.

Take MK8 dlc for example; pretty good value for the price. They haven’t actually presented a comparable value proposition since. RE: BoTW season pass content. A fair bit of that content is standard fare in most games. I feel for what was included, it was overpriced IMO.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
I didn’t finish Trial of The Sword not because I couldn’t(lol) but I don’t actually find it all that interesting 🤷🏿‍♂️ Secondly, as I stated before, the problem with Nintendo’s dlc model is that you cannot buy content a la carte. This applies to properties not even owned by Nintendo such as Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3. And are you making a funny here? This very topic starts off(and propagates) praising Nintendo for doing basic stuff.

Take MK8 dlc for example; pretty good value for the price. They haven’t actually presented a comparable value proposition since. RE: BoTW season pass content. A fair bit of that content is standard fare in most games. I feel for what was included, it was overpriced IMO.
So you felt kinda regretting the purchase when you did it by yourself? Idk man, overpriced or not should've been the question before, not after any purchase. Trial of the Sword is the epitome of BOTW speedrunning, an absolute blast to tackle through, you are in fact in the minority here. Buy ala carte if they have the option, or maybe stop buying it next time? You're on your own here.

So you felt kinda regretting the purchase when you did it by yourself? Idk man, overpriced or not should've been the question before, not after any purchase. Trial of the Sword is the epitome of BOTW speedrunning, an absolute blast to tackle through, you are in fact in the minority here. Buy ala carte if they have the option, or maybe stop buying it next time? You're on your own here.
Right, wasn’t blaming Nintendo for the decision I made. I just take issue with them doing it for so many games. Just silly not to have that as a option.

So many tears because of the prices. Why should anyone lower the price for stuff that sells like hot cake? It's not like good guy Phil and good guy Jim want to make you happy. No, people just don't buy their shit at full price for long that's why for example Spiderman droped within 3 months to 30 bucks.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
JFL this post is embarrassing. It reads like era circa-2014. Scratch that, it reads like era(and every enthusiast site) nowadays. So, let me get this straight, the reason for predatory practices being successful is because of a lack of consumer responsibility? Secondly, why are you ignoring that said predatory business practices were implemented by Nintendo themselves?
You gotta point out exactly what predatory practices you are talking about before talking nonsense.

Bragr

Banned
The people complaining about the price need to shut it. If you want cheaper Nintendo games then follow these simple steps:

1. Buy game for $60
2. Play/finish game
3. Sell game for $40+

There are your cheap Nintendo games.
This is a good point, their standard when it comes to pricing means that their products keep their value. I got Uncharted 4 on disc and can't fucking get rid of it for the life of me because everyone just buys it on sale for nothing, Switch games however go for half their original price no problem.

Most of the high sellers on Playstation are only high sellers because they push them on people for 10 bucks.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Lol what? There games never go on sale. And they’re selling old ports of games for $60..

Not even full fledged remasters. Ports.

been playing the hell out of let’s go Pickachu,realized the only way to get Mew in this version is to buy the pokeball controller for 50 bucks. But I am enough of a fan I was willing. Oh? It’s already discontinued and is now going for $150-200 bucks on Amazon.

Tried to buy some very old Pokémon games for my 3DS last night. Full price.

A friend lost my BoTW cart last year. Tried to rebuy the game digitally, never has a sale worth a damn.

Don’t even get me started on Bluetooth and other hardware switch issues.

Yes the free stuff is nice. But they’re the worst of the big 3 and way worse than PC in the consumer friendly freebies category.

Look at No Mans ky.

Witcher.

Titanfall 2.

Gears of War.

Halo McC.

Etc for excellent post launch content.

I love Nintendo, but they frustrate at every turn.

So many tears because of the prices. Why should anyone lower the price for stuff that sells like hot cake? It's not like good guy Phil and good guy Jim want to make you happy. No, people just don't buy their shit at full price for long that's why for example Spiderman droped within 3 months to 30 bucks.
Yep. Clearly if the game isn't worth the sticker price, people would just not buy them. It's like asking why some cars are worth millions of dollars when there are much cheaper cars out there. You don't have to buy them, but there is no reason to claim the more expensive cars are expensive because the seller is somehow greedy.

Haha OP you should play more games before passing judgement since a lot of companies add free stuff (mechanics/weapons/quests) too.

Like others have said if it was any other company you'd be shitting on them for releasing Mario Party without online in the first place! And even then the shitty online servers take away from the experience and let's not talk Super Mario Golf Super Rush which is CLEARLY unfinshed and has WAY less stuff than it's immediate predecessor on the 3DS Super Mario Golf World Tour.

anthony2690

Banned
I feel like most the stuff you listed is mostly worthless or should've been there day one, especially the online for Mario party :p (I know they don't have to give you anything, but I'm curious as to what you think about what Microsoft gives out as free support to their games)

Microsoft deserves praise for the long time support of their games though, that I genuinely think is overlooked.

Gears 5, halo mcc, sea of thieves, Forza horizon 4, state of decay 2, had absolutely insane amount of free support/content added & I'm sure I've missed loads of other titled.

Also worthy mentions like NMS, not played the game myself but I know people seem to really happy with that game now days.

Gears 5 FREE added content for anyone wondering:
18 traditional multiplayer/horde maps with 2 more to come.
4 14 player ffa ONLY maps.
3 new 2v2 ONLY maps.
5 extra horde ONLY maps.
28 extra escape maps.
Free campaign update (arcade mode/Batista as Marcus etc)
Hivebusters* (*only free for game pass subs)
Over 60 new characters and hundreds of skins that can all be unlocked for free.
Store revamp, that made unlocking characters/skins beyond easy/generous.
New versus/horde modes, QOL updates/tuning, series S/X upgrade
Completely FREE battle passes, that are really easy to complete.

Gears 5 has more content added for free than Splatoon 1 & 2 combined had at launch and post launch :p

Last edited:

Schmick

Whatever you think of Nintendo, this is awesome to see. Any other company would have charged money for this.

Mario Golf is getting some new free DLC, soon, and it's pretty substantial, but this ain't the first time Nintendo adds content to their games for free:

Animal Crossing
- Added a bunch of new features in the first few months, and while it's a while now since they added anything meaningful, this could easily have been exploited as paid content for a lot of profit.

ARMS
- Was updated for free with a new character and a new mode and stage, as well as a lot of other good additions like tracking statistics.

New Pokemon Snap
- Last week it got a big new free update with 3 new areas and 20 new Pokemon.

Super Mario Maker 2
- Several large free DLC updates that added tons of stuff to the game.

Super Mario Party
- Out of the blue added a free update that made most of the games playable online.

Super Mario Odyssey
- Added the hide and seek mode for free, as well as several new outfits.

Probably some other games too, either way, kudos to Nintendo.

5---pauliki-gallery-8035-3tnhb6.7i7p6v.image.wvh.jpg
Why you making this seem like this is new? Free updates have been coming out for games for years.

Ellery

They get praise as soon as they release a new Mario Kart or add like 20 tracks (YOU CAN HAVE MY MONEY FOR IT NINTENDO) to Mario Kart Deluxe on Switch.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I am fine with PS5 and Xbox shilling here (which we know is in full effect), because those companies at least trying to provide value for your money, valuing your purchase, etc etc., but I find Nintendo shilling offensive and should be banned.

Also lol@deservers praise, don't they sell amibos, which unlock difficulty levels in certain games? Fucking scamming company.

And yes I am really passionate about this.

VAL0R

Banned
Nintendo fans have been financially bullied so long, they're running around with Stockholm syndrome, sympathizing with their abusers.

"I only had to buy the game 5 times and then they let me purchase a bunch of plastic toys to unlock and enjoy even more in-game content! They do care!"

Ornoku

I feel like New Horizons is a bad example of this. The game launched with a very small amount of content compared to even the first game, let alone new leaf. Then you get into things like the conversations and the actions the villagers can perform. Nintendo have been releasing certain games not finished.

Kilau

Gold Member
They’ve done some good stuff and also released some games that were severely lacking in content for the price.

They have pretty much killed me with Smash DLC though.

VN1X

Banned
What? I mean I love Nintendo as much as the next guy but let's not give Nintendo praise for stuff that's standard practice everywhere else. Look at Wreckfest for example, Kerbal Space Program, Dying Light, Risk of Rain, Warframe, Destiny, Siege, Hell... even CoD (Warzone) adds free meaningful content after release. The list goes on and on.

Nintendo isn't some angelic company who are the only ones doing this lmao. Fanboy brains work in mysterious ways, I'm telling ya. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I'm disappointed at the poor arguments and the general moronic bullshit a lot of you are saying.

First off, just because you don't like Amiibo's or no sales or expensive ports doesn't mean that it's a bad thing that they dole out large free DLC's.

Games at full price are how they should be. As a gamer, I love sales like everyone, but I can also recognize the absolute shitshow of the current discount culture that is plaguing the industry, how many games have you bought at 40% and it just sits in your backlog? you, my friend, have been fucked by discount manipulation and are one of the reasons why free-to-play and in-game stores are exploding across the industry. It's not about selling the game at a real value, but getting the player tricked into the game so they can push 2 dollar shit at you. And so many mid-sized games are getting fucked because the norm now is that your game has to sold at 50% 4 months after release. I fully support Nintendo in having a motherfucking standard among the filth and shady shit that you people feed on.

Now the Amiibo's, yeah sure, it sucks what they did with Skyward Sword, but generally, most of the Amiibo stuff is minor shit and skins, there are very few instances where you need to buy a fucking Amiibo to enjoy the game. It's a fucking toy Nintendo makes for fun. People make waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much heat about Amiibo's. Comically so.

And yeah they charge full price for older ports which is a bit extreme, but if you don't want them then why are you so angry? are you angry that they don't price the game into your price range? I mean, there are tons of games across Playstation, Xbox, and PC that are priced wrong, if you disagree with the price, then don't purchase. Nobody is forcing you to buy old ports.

And you could argue that Mario Golf and some games were a bit incomplete, but it's your responsibility to read reviews just like always.
More of us are disappointed with your ignorance.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Charging $300 for a horribly underpowered system with almost no space to install games, is not exactly what I would call consumer friendly.

I don't have an issue with Nintendo, but saying their pro-consumer because they add content to games, which other developers HAVE done is a bit silly.

Last edited:

iHaunter

You're paying for it x2. They're A and AA games at full price. You're actually still getting scammed.

Look at what Sucker Punch added for free for Ghost of Tsushima (actually for free), get some standards in you bud.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Instead they sell $12 little plastic figurines to unlock those skins and other “microtransaction-like” stuff.

But hey, I’ll give Nintendo credit for figuring out how to repackage old ideas and sell them for a much higher price

No. They ship incomplete, C- minus games in franchises that have typically had jam packed, highly reviewed entries on previous consoles (Mario Golf and Mario Tennis) and then try to act like it's charity. Fuck that.

People praising Nintendo for not nickel and diming them while also defending Nintendo as they nickel and dime them.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

cool but how about we get price drops like pretty much every other publisher?
becuase people actually want to buy their games.

JFL this post is embarrassing. It reads like era circa-2014. Scratch that, it reads like era(and every enthusiast site) nowadays. So, let me get this straight, the reason for predatory practices being successful is because of a lack of consumer responsibility? Secondly, why are you ignoring that said predatory business practices were implemented by Nintendo themselves?
They aren't predatory. The fuck...

My god, some of you people just use words you don't know.

Last edited:
becuase people actually want to buy their games.

what choice do they have? it isnt like theres a big 3rd party selection to choose from is it? the only games to buy are mario, zelda, pokemon etc..

also nobody buys games from othe publishers? is that what your saying? why would you support nintendo not doing price drops? are you a corporate slave?

Flutta

Banned
Praise? Nintendo? Must be a joke thread.

JOY-CON DRIFT.

BLUETOOTH
and other hardware switch issues that they still havent fixed since launch.

60$ ports without any shame.

Slow store front for todays standard.

Not even sure if they still havent added a Youtube app yet lol. I sold my switch after beating Odyssey and almost beat BOTW.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

what choice do they have? it isnt like theres a big 3rd party selection to choose from is it? the only games to buy are mario, zelda, pokemon etc..

also nobody buys games from othe publishers? is that what your saying? why would you support nintendo not doing price drops? are you a corporate slave?
Their choice is to not buy it.

This is not diffucult to comprehend. Nintendo games don't drop in price because those games are consistent top sellers. It has nothing to do with "corporate slavery" or whatever stupid shit you are spouting. Good lord.

Their choice is to not buy it.

This is not diffucult to comprehend. Nintendo games don't drop in price because those games are consistent top sellers. It has nothing to do with "corporate slavery" or whatever stupid shit you are spouting. Good lord.

bullshit! what, GTA doesnt sell now? rockstar could easily still sell it at full price if they wanted! thats just one example.

oagboghi2

bullshit! what, GTA doesnt sell now?
What are you talking about? How is GTA relevant to anything I said?

rockstar could easily still sell it at full price if they wanted
That's my fucking point. What are you even arguing with me about?

GTA5 is close to a decade old, and if you look back, yeah it stayed at full price for a long ass time. That's how the industry works.
They don't, because they would rather monetize the whales they have created in that game, and they need to capture those whales by making the game cheaper. That's not what Nintendo does. It's a different business model.

Marvel14

Banned
Predictatable response by the naysayers. Nintendo wouldn't price games at $60 even when reissued if they didn't sell. And they sell because their game design and quality is second to none. That pricing is Nintendo telling their customers " We've got the quality" ♨️🔥...feel the burn naysayers.

Last edited:

ahtlas7

I surmise Nintendo game production map has “free” content drops built-in to keep the game in the news. I bet every content drop sees a spike in sales. This isn’t altruism.

Bluecondor

I agree with the OP that it is admirable that Nintendo releases the updated content for Animal Crossing for free.

That said, the free updates have mostly only included holiday events and cosmetics for various holidays (outside of some gameplay enhancements in a free update last summer). I would welcome a paid DLC for Animal Crossing that adds some new activities to give me more motivation to keep playing the game.

So - while it is nice/admirable that Nintendo has provided the free updates, the game needs something more substantial - which would be a legitimate paid DLC.

Robb

Gold Member
I mean.. Maybe. I'm glad that it's free added content but I'm personally not a fan of their approach.

The games they drip-feed free content to today feel designed for that purpose, i.e. being intentionally designed to be fairly barebones from the get-go to 'test the waters' and then they can decide if it's worthwhile to support them further after launch.

Last edited:
but still they charge full $60 for old games and price never drops. These free items are just a few drops in the salty ocean.
In to say this

You can virtually recover a shit ton of games on other consoles for the price of a candy bar, yet Nintendo games are ridiculously overpriced even 5-6 years later

Shitty price politics

And is sad, because N has a billion awesome games, but is impossible to experience as many as I'd want because of prices

Last edited:
In to say this

You can virtually recover a shit ton of games on other consoles for the price of a candy bar, yet Nintendo games are ridiculously overpriced even 5-6 years later

Shitty price politics

And is sad, because N has a billion awesome games, but is impossible to experience as many as I'd want because of prices
Tell me one reason why a company shoud lower prices if their product sells like crazy? And btw. the advantage of this is that you can easily resell them with little to no loss or trade them 1:1 even for newer games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom