• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Developers Reportedly Working on 4K Games for Unannounced System

Trilobit

Considering the chip shortage right now it would make some sense that Nintendo were planning on releasing a beefier version of Switch, but due to the shortage had to continue with the same chip and only update with OLED.

Last edited:

StormCell

Nintendo has some history of denying things that eventually appear to happen. In late 2018, they denied Skyward Sword for Switch stating they had no plans at that time. I recall them denying 3DS, I believe, once again stating that they had no plans. Someone, I forget who, has kept a pretty good ledger of Nintendo denials over the years.

When Nintendo says there are no plans, they can easily hand wave that off later as simply not having it on the road map with a solidified time window. It doesn't mean they aren't experimenting, and it doesn't mean that they don't have experiments ongoing at 11 development studios. Whatever 4K dev kit is in circulation, it's definitely not code-named "Switch 4K dev kit" so that's all that means.

As Bloomberg wisely points out now, it's possible that plans have changed regarding the release window for new hardware. A 4K Switch may have been cancelled in favor of a brand new hardware platform 1.5-2 years further out, and maybe they will coast on the Switch's fumes while a lot of us Nintendo fans begin to tune them out again....

Mr Branding

OLED is going sell like bottled water.
Tom Cruise What GIF

Bragr

Banned
Bloomberg is the paparazi of game journalism, all about finding flashy news that pop, even if it's just hearsay and second-hand rumours.

Astral Dog

Switch 4K is real, but its Pro model, so fanboys still gonna complain and it will still sell well alongside Breath of the Wild 2

Astral Dog

I really really doubt 4K. That just seems to totally go against Nintendo's philosophy and not pursuing the most expensive graphics.

Higher res sure, but not all the way to 4K. I'd be shocked.
Keep in mind its not pushing 'real' 4k but using Nvidia low powered upscaling tech thats totally believable for a Nintendo handheld. i mean eventually an upgraded Switch will be a thing, and this feature sounds easy enough to implement

Last edited:

Trilobit

Bloomberg is running a smear campaign against Nintendo.

Fairly obvious.

- They tried to kill OLED hype by announcing it was 4k before Nintendo announced it to give a sense of disappointment when it was announced.

- Then after that didn't happen they tried to claim the new OLED screen, improved audio, new kickstand and double the memory was only 10 bucks

- Then after Nintendo debunked that, they're announcing this shit again right before OLED releases.

I have to wonder who they're working for?

It's a waste of time anyway OLED is going sell like bottled water.

I just want to thank you for one of the best laughs I've had this year.

Edit: I sincerely laughed, not at you or your point.

Last edited:

Marty-McFly

Banned
Nobody else finds it at all odd that Bloomberg came out with these statements

1) right before Switch OLED announcement (which was false)

2) right before the Switch OLED release

Clearly this has just been some calculated ploy to take steam away from the OLED release. It comes across as pretty desperate because the amount of users this will actually put off buying an OLED will be minuscule. Joe Casual doesn't even know what a Bloomberg is.

Last edited:

Marty-McFly

Banned
I just want to thank you for one of the best laughs I've had this year.
What is it you find humorous?

What evidence does Bloomberg have here please share.

It's just their word and they are doubling down after repeatedly being debunked

They were wrong about OLED being 4K ready. The only developer they cited as having a dev kit even shot them down.

Last edited:

Trilobit

What is it you find humorous?

The way you wrote it was just hilarious. I don't know if I agree that Bloomberg really wants to sabotage Nintendo, but the way you put it really seemed like they wanted to take the wind out of anything Nintendo was going to announce. It's like if you'd have your frienemy announce that you just bought a brand new Tesla in front of everyone and everyone gets impressed, but you were going to say that you just bought an electric Kia, which you had saved for for a long time.

There was just a lot of comedic value in your way of writing it. I didn't take a side in your conclusions on either side.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

To all those saying Nintendo is lying in their communication to debunk this rumour, you do know that lying to investors would have huge repercussions?

I think 4K was in the cards at some point, now it isn’t for a while at least.

Perrott

Gold Member
Nintendo lying to their investors, even mentioning them directly in that quote?
Nintendo is using a carefully worded PR statement in order to try to focus all the eyes on the OLED model that's releasing next week, rather than on the various reports regarding the upcoming Pro model that's farther down the line.

As I've told you before, the Pro exists, that's out of discussion here.

BlackTron

Nintendo ALWAYS denies future products as not to hurt their opportunity to sell as much units of the current hardware as possible.

For example, Nintendo denied the existence of a new DS model the DAY BEFORE the DS Lite was unveiled.

This doesn't mean they were working on a 4k Switch! But if you think their denial confirms that they WEREN'T, then no way. It doesn't prove anything.

Marty-McFly

Banned
Nintendo is using a carefully worded PR statement in order to try to focus all the eyes on the OLED model that's releasing next week, rather than on the various reports regarding the upcoming Pro model that's farther down the line.

Do you have a single shred of evidence?
Nintendo ALWAYS denies future products as not to hurt their opportunity to sell as much units of the current hardware as possible.

For example, Nintendo denied the existence of a new DS model the DAY BEFORE the DS Lite was unveiled.

This doesn't mean they were working on a 4k Switch! But if you think their denial confirms that they WEREN'T, then no way. It doesn't prove anything.
Bloomberg is the one making the claims and so far they failed to prove anything. Wrong about their predictions and even the dev they cited about the 4K kits said they were full of shit.

BlackTron

Bloomberg is the one making the claims and so far they failed to prove anything. Wrong about their predictions and even the dev they cited about the 4K kits said they were full of shit.

I'm not saying that Nintendo had plans for 4k. I'm just saying that the fact that they denied it is the wrong reason to think so.

yurinka

Sorry, I didn't know this was the Abandoned thread. Nintendo has been very clear: they aren't working on other device other than the OLED and claimed that they didn't send such devkits for a Switch with 4K. They said that the related news report is lying and specially mentioned their investors to know that.

If something, they will release a Switch successor in 3 years from now or so. Which I assume will be 4K and will use some new tech that as of now won't be available, so it's too soon to be sending its devkits (first prototypes are send typicall ~1/1.5 year before launch and only to a few internal teams plus a couple of key external partners).

If they won't release Switch Pro this year and expect Switch to last around 4 years more, let's say they release its successor 1 or 2 years before discontinuing Switch. Why would they release a Switch Pro in a year or two from now to have it on the market only a couple of years? It doesn't make sense. And already having Switch, Switch Lite and Switch OLED it makes even less sense to release a 4th SKU. Why they would need another SKU, to bump sales because they aren't happy with them? Of course not, they are getting record sales.

They will simply release OLED and two or three years later will release the Switch successor.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Just played on a Series X on a 4K TV and didn't get what's all about 4K... like... no jaggies? Cool... that's it? Then I see these rumors and wonder why people got dissapointed by Switch OLED not being 4K, I'm actually thinking OLED was a bigger or at least much more noticiable update than 4K

Knightime_X

I really really doubt 4K. That just seems to totally go against Nintendo's philosophy and not pursuing the most expensive graphics.

Higher res sure, but not all the way to 4K. I'd be shocked.
Which philosophy?
Iwata's or earlier?
Because "Now you're playing with power" definitely wasn't Iwata's philosophy.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Just played on a Series X on a 4K TV and didn't get what's all about 4K... like... no jaggies? Cool... that's it? Then I see these rumors and wonder why people got dissapointed by Switch OLED not being 4K, I'm actually thinking OLED was a bigger or at least much more noticiable update than 4K

Episode 5 Reaction GIF by The Office

Kataploom

Gold Member
Nobody else finds it at all odd that Bloomberg came out with these statements

1) right before Switch OLED announcement (which was false)

2) right before the Switch OLED release

Clearly this has just been some calculated ploy to take steam away from the OLED release. It comes across as pretty desperate because the amount of users this will actually put off buying an OLED will be minuscule. Joe Casual doesn't even know what a Bloomberg is.
It's not odd, it's clearly a sabotage lol, it happens all the time in the market

Umbasaborne

Banned
I have little doubt that a switch successor will be out some time in the next two/two and a half years. Im just wondering if i want to put myself through the headache of trying to get one for the first several months. Pre ordering the switch was just as bad as pre ordering the ps5, i had to rely on amazon back door links and all sorts of shady shit

Marty-McFly

Banned
Personally I think 4k is a waste of time for Nintendo I would rather they aim for 1080p and improve the visuals with better effects, geometry and textures.
Some DLSS solution which takes a 720-1080p native image to 4k would be be good though.
That's the only feasible option in mobile tech and thankfully it looks fantastic.

Thaedolus

If switch 2 doesn't have full backward compatibility I would lose my shit. I don't believe they would be so stupid.
Pretty much this. I’d be super annoyed if my entire library was stuck on OG hardware, or if it’s some games get patched and some don’t. PS5 BC isn’t perfect but at least they’re trying to do something. MS has it figured out. They have to have something

Gallard

Nintendo's track record for BC is probably the the best of anybody's.
- Wii U plays Wii plays Gamecube
- 3DS plays DS plays Gameboy Advance plays Gameboy

Hard to imagine they'd fuck that up, so I'll wait for the actual announcement before grabbing a pitchfork.

RCU005

Nintendo releases a console every 5 years since the SNES (with the exception of the Wii to Wii U that was 6 years). Will Nintendo cut the Switch life short?

The Wii was a huge success but sales started to go down so fast by the end. The Switch might still be increasing in sales, and might be helped by the release of the OLED model. The Switch might still have at least 2 more years, easily.

Maybe they are starting R&D for a new system that will eventually come out. Like how the PS4 began development since 2008 (two years only after PS3's release date).

Aldric

If switch 2 doesn't have full backward compatibility I would lose my shit. I don't believe they would be so stupid.
A 4K Switch with no backward compatibility sounds exactly like the kind of stupid shit that Nintendo would do, imagine them rereleasing 4K "remakes" of all the big Switch games. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe 4K version.

Marty-McFly

Banned
Nintendo releases a console every 5 years since the SNES (with the exception of the Wii to Wii U that was 6 years). Will Nintendo cut the Switch life short?

The Wii was a huge success but sales started to go down so fast by the end. The Switch might still be increasing in sales, and might be helped by the release of the OLED model. The Switch might still have at least 2 more years, easily.

Maybe they are starting R&D for a new system that will eventually come out. Like how the PS4 began development since 2008 (two years only after PS3's release date).
They said they were only halfway through its lifecycle fairly recently.

They have no incentive to change things up as its flying off the shelves without a real pricedrop.

Switch will be around for a long, long time. I think a 4K SKU is possible to continue the generation longer but I'm not banking on it.

Marty-McFly

Banned
A 4K Switch with no backward compatibility sounds exactly like the kind of stupid shit that Nintendo would do, imagine them rereleasing 4K "remakes" of all the big Switch games. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe 4K version.?

The Wii, and Wii U both had backwards compatibility the only reason the Switch didn't is because they switched formats going to cartridge.

coffinbirth

Interesting.
SciresM knows more about Switch minutiae than probably anyone else out there. That being said, I don't believe they would require patching every game as opposed to a compat layer in HorizonOS2, dedicate some cu's, or whatever. Someone more versed in this particular situation would probably be able to set that straight, and as knowledgeable as SciresM is with HOS and Tegra, I think he might be speaking a bit out of turn here.

Otherwise, Nintendo has made a huge mistake gob.gif of epic proportions here.

Last edited:

Marty-McFly

Banned
Some ResetEra poster who has been wrong about several things calling rumors for a new Switch next year when it's still flying off the shelves without a single pricedrop.

Sounds credible. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Top Bottom