• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Developers Reportedly Working on 4K Games for Unannounced System

Marty-McFly

Banned
Nintendo and Nvidia have a 20 year contract.

Anyway, NateDrake is pretty hit and miss with his info. He knows people but his info is often old and second hand and doesn't pan out.

The only way we would possibly see a new Switch next year is if it's a new DLSS 4K SKU for the existing model, even that's doubtful because of the chip shortage.

Nintendo has already said we're only halfway through the lifecycle and the Switch has a lot of life in it. Breaking records without a pricedrop.

Last edited:

00_Zer0

Possibly no BC or just partial BC bothers me the most about this rumor. Nintendo better find a way to work with Nvidia to get BC done. That's the tricky part though, isn't it? How much time and money is Nintendo willing to spend to get BC on the next system. If they don't come through they are really going to look foolish, and piss a lot of loyal customers off, including me.

It's a good thing I'm not a company shill then, because I don't trust Nintendo to give me BC. My plan is to use my OG Switch that can be hacked to preserve and back up all my cartridge/digital games collection. Then I can enjoy my games both on the OG Switch, and then on PC as Switch emulation gets better.

Brigandier

Honestly I don't think we see the announcement of Nintendos new console until Q1/2 2023 with a Holiday 2023 launch earliest.

I would love a switch pro but I don't think it's happening.

The Wii, and Wii U both had backwards compatibility the only reason the Switch didn't is because they switched formats going to cartridge.
Well, and also they didn't want to support a cpu design from 1999 (besides the extra cores on wii u) anymore haha.

But I have to agree, i'm pretty confident switch 2 will have BC. But i've become so pessimistic lately I paused for a moment.

I just hope there'll we a screenless, stationary option for people who don't want or need the portability. I can't even consider the Switch a portable machine with that size.

gamer82

Lol of course they would be unless we want a barran launch and be honest they never have to much on offer to begin with. I wouldn’t be surprised if they just yank prime 4 from switch the sell consoles.

depending on how dread works out in sales that is. Metorid and new mario or donkey kong. Both if we are lucky and if not two greedy a full luigis mansion collection 😬 thanks nintendo .

Last edited:

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Some ResetEra poster who has been wrong about several things calling rumors for a new Switch next year when it's still flying off the shelves without a single pricedrop.

Sounds credible. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

That's what "insiders" do. Make up shit and when it doesn't come true, make up new shit. That way you always have desperate fanboys giving you attention.

I don't believe this one bit, to me it just sounds like fanboy dreams and nothing like what I expect from Nintendo.

But regardless of what I believe, all of you who are expecting DLSS support, do you actually think Nintendo would force every developer to add DLSS support to every game, or what? Since support needs to be added on a game to game basis.
What's the problem with that? DLSS is not unlike any other feature on PS5 or XBOX. If your harware supports it why not use it in any game? What developer will choose NOT to use DLSS if benefits are so strong?
Also it's not harder to impliment than TAA for example. It's going 'slow' on PC because not everyone has 2000 or 3000 series of GPUs and that's it.

My post from another thread:
It's probably just an updated chip because the old chip is not available anymore due to an old chip manufacturer going out of business or simply not making it any longer due to the repercussions of COVID. There are a ton of discontinued parts these days solely because of the chip shortage, in lieu of this, a lot of electronics are getting recertified through the FCC with newer chips to replace the old. This will never be used for 4K as the switch can't handle the resolution while gaming. I'm kind of blown away that people would even think 4K would be an option for the Switch, it's just illogical.

Always remember, the Tegra X1 is used in a plethora of devices such as the nVidia Shield, Jetson Nano, and the Nintendo Switch. It can output 4K video, but gaming will never see it, let alone upscale to it with only 256 nVidia Maxwell Cores.

In the end, it's certainly a Realtek chip.
Home - REALTEK

The only thing it might be doing is converting USB-C to HDMI. (that's exactly what it's doing.)
RTD2172替代方案|替代RTD2172 设计TYPEC转HDMI4K@60Hz拓展坞方案|CS5265可完全替代RTD2172_方案/元器件供求专区-面包板社区 (eet-china.com)

The RTD2172 alternative | the | of designing THEPEC to HDMI docking scheme instead of RTD2172 The CS5265 is a complete‎

‎ replacement for the RTD2172 ‎‎ ‎‎Realtek RTD2172U USB Type-C to HDMI converter combining USB Type-C input interface‎‎ ‎‎ with digital HD ‎‎ ‎‎multimedia interface (HDMI) output. Embedded‎‎ ‎‎ ‎‎ ‎‎Microcontrollers (MCUs) are based on the industrial standard 8051 core. ‎‎The‎‎ ‎‎ ‎‎receiver port brings the Channel Configuration (CC) controller, the Power Transfer‎‎ ‎‎ ‎‎ ‎‎(PD) controller, the Billboard controller, and the discplay ‎‎ ‎‎Port ‎‎ ‎‎(DP) to HDMI V2.0‎‎ ‎‎ ‎
‎ ‎‎ ‎‎ The converter is integrated into a chip‎‎ ‎‎ that ‎‎ ‎‎supports Thesplay Port standby mode on USB Type-C applications. ‎‎ Capstone CS5265 is a standard USB CTM DisplayPort Alt mode receiver consisting of two main channel differential pairs, one auxiliary channel differential pair, and one main channel that can be made up of HBR3 (8.1-Gbps), HBR2 (5.4-Gbps), ‎
‎ ‎‎ ‎‎ A four-channel differential pair of HD uncompressed video transmissions at HBR (2.7-Gbps) and RBR (1.62-Gbps) data rates. The main link is fully compliant with ThesplayPortTM v1.4. ‎‎To‎‎ sum up: CS5265 and RTD2172 are consistent in functional applications and system parameters, all CS5265 is a complete alternative to compatible RTD2172, and CS5265 design simple peripherals are less, the overall BOM cost is low and board power consumption is low, ‎

Here is a chip that converts DisplayPort 1.4 to HDMI 2.1, it's one model number off.
Realtek Demonstrates RTD2173 DisplayPort 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 Converter (anandtech.com)

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
If switch 2 doesn't have full backward compatibility I would lose my shit. I don't believe they would be so stupid.
The only way that doesn't happen is if Nintendo dont go with Nvidia.

You would think Nvidia would want to be in the next switch but Nvidia have been known to be greedy in the console space.

Amd now offer mobile hardware (steamdeck) which could make a worthy switch successor.

Aldric

This will never be used for 4K as the switch can't handle the resolution while gaming. I'm kind of blown away that people would even think 4K would be an option for the Switch, it's just illogical.
It's not illogical at all. New Nvidia mobile chips have tensor cores which would allow an hypothetical New Switch or Switch 2 or whatever you want to call it to use DLSS. This is the perfect solution for Nintendo because it allows them to have a system that can punch well above what its actual physical components would allow it to do while retaining a portable form factor. It's also a win/win situation because Nvidia would have an interest in putting their machine learning upscaling software in a mass market product like the Switch.

I don't know how reliable these rumors are about release date, backward compatibility and what have you but one thing I'm convinced of is that a 4K Switch using DLSS will eventually be released and sooner rather than later.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Everyone kept regurgitating how changed Nintendo was, and how great the tx1 chip was, but I knew it was a dead end. Obviously the next console won't be backward compatible, that's how different the tx1 architecture from everything else.

A lot of costumers are about to learn how Nintendo really operates.

gundalf

You guys should keep your cool, dev-kits do very rarely have any BC and early dev-kits don't even have means to accept any game media (they are tethered to a PC/Workstation).

It's not illogical at all. New Nvidia mobile chips have tensor cores which would allow an hypothetical New Switch or Switch 2 or whatever you want to call it to use DLSS. This is the perfect solution for Nintendo because it allows them to have a system that can punch well above what its actual physical components would allow it to do while retaining a portable form factor. It's also a win/win situation because Nvidia would have an interest in putting their machine learning upscaling software in a mass market product like the Switch.

I don't know how reliable these rumors are about release date, backward compatibility and what have you but one thing I'm convinced of is that a 4K Switch using DLSS will eventually be released and sooner rather than later.
It's completely illogical. This new chip is here literally because it's widely available as the old one is obsolete. It's only a media conversion chip. Keep fighting the good fight and praying for a 4K switch that will never happen. Sony and Microsoft can barely make it happen at 10TF and 12TF, it's certainly not happening for the Switch, DLSS be damned.

Also, if you're referring to the Atlan (lovelace) chip, it's exclusively being released for autonomous vehicles. It's literally called nVidia Drive.

Last edited:

Aldric

It's completely illogical. This new chip is here literally because it's widely available as the old one is obsolete. It's only a media conversion chip. Keep fighting the good fight and praying for a 4K switch that will never happen. Sony and Microsoft can barely make it happen at 10TF and 12TF, it's certainly not happening for the Switch, DLSS be damned.

Also, if you're referring to the Atlan (lovelace) chip, it's exclusively being released for autonomous vehicles. It's literally called nVidia Drive.
Wait what the fuck are you talking about now? The media conversion chip is in the OLED model dock, that's what the datamine showed a few years ago. The system itself is still using a Tegra X1. If or more accurately when Nintendo releases a new Switch model or a successor it obviously won't use the Tegra X1 anymore which opens up the possibility for DLSS. And who cares about what Sony and Microsoft do, Switch games obviously aren't as complex and demanding as PS5 and Series X games.

Wait what the fuck are you talking about now? The media conversion chip is in the OLED model dock, that's what the datamine showed a few years ago. The system itself is still using a Tegra X1. If or more accurately when Nintendo releases a new Switch model or a successor it obviously won't use the Tegra X1 anymore which opens up the possibility for DLSS. And who cares about what Sony and Microsoft do, Switch games obviously aren't as complex and demanding as PS5 and Series X games.
I’m aware of all this. I was responding to your tensor core bullshit.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Here's what i think.....Nintendo has denied the existence of any Switch Pro, Switch 4K, whatever...right?

If the latest rumors are true, then the dock that comes with Switch OLED has the capability for 4K. You can also now update your dock's firmware in addition to the system itself and the joycons.

Nintendo has already said that they will be selling the Switch OLED dock seperately to those who want it. I'm thinking the secret is in the OLED dock.

When they're ready, they push out an update to the OLED dock that unlocks this 4K capability, and at the same time, since the OLED dock will be sold seperately, owners of the OG Switch can buy the new docks too and then be able to have 4K also. This also goes along with Nintendo denying a Switch Pro, Switch 4K is coming. It isn't lol.....the secret is in the OLED dock. That's my guess on all this.

What tensor core bullshit, are you arguing the next Nvidia chip for the Switch successor won't have tensor cores? Are you an idiot?

No, not at all. I'm not saying the successor won't have tensor cores, but then again, I have no idea if they will or will not. Regardless of anything, there's a good chance that Nintendo will ditch nVidia for AMD again if their going all in on a Switch 2 due to the nVidia tax, unless Nintendo struck a better deal than Microsoft did back in 2000 or so.

In the mean time, let's get Nintendo to a consistent 1080p before we consider 4K.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Nintendo enjoys their spotlight in the gimmick world and are responsible for motion VR success.

Who even has time to play that many games?

giphy.gif

Interfectum

The insiders or indie devs working on "Switch 2" projects right now have no idea whether BC is in or not. The system is so far out only at the highest levels would that decision even be known and there is no reason for them to put those kinds of things in early SDKs.

v1oz

The Switch can't even run modern games at 1080p/60 with ultra settings. What's the point of leapfrogging to 4K and mutilating batteries?

I'd be happy if a new Switch was announced that had DLSS, ray tracing and horsepower to run AAA games at 1080p/60.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

The Switch can't even run modern games at 1080p/60 with ultra settings. What's the point of leapfrogging to 4K and mutilating batteries?

I'd be happy if a new Switch was announced that had DLSS, ray tracing and horsepower to run AAA games at 1080p/60.

Just because it can render up to 4K resolution doesn't mean games will top out at that. How many One X/PS4 Pro games ran at native 4K. I expect many developers will settle for 1440p DLSS or Native which is still a huge jump in image quality. We might even see some games at 1800p DLSS.

BlackTron

Nintendo's track record for BC is probably the the best of anybody's.
- Wii U plays Wii plays Gamecube
- 3DS plays DS plays Gameboy Advance plays Gameboy

Hard to imagine they'd fuck that up, so I'll wait for the actual announcement before grabbing a pitchfork.

Nintendo also HAD a reputation for the VC, but that's gone.

Never, ever, ever assume with Nintendo. Who would have thought they could botch the successor to the Wii so totally? I'm not saying they will probably be removing BC, I'm just saying don't count on anything. For all we know the suits will suddenly think if the new system plays old games, it could affect software sales of new ones. Or maybe they just aren't feeling it that day.

Top Bottom