• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct is now 10 years old format

Andyliini

The first ever Direct was published 10 years ago, on October 21 2011 in Japan. A few hours later, a different one was published in US. Europe did not get a Direct until later in 2012.
The Direct was originally used to announce information and games regarding the then new Nintendo 3DS, but later expanded to cover everything Nintendo. Late president Satoru Iwata was the original spearhead of the format, and continued to host the show even for international audiences until his death in 2015. Since then, various people have hosted Directs, with Yoshiaki Koizumi and Shinya Takahashi being the current ones.

Using a live streamed broadcast to convey news was relatively new in 2011, and the format was therefore not a huge success right out of the gate. Since then, Directs have become almost synonymous with pre-recorded news presentations regarding video games.

Here is the show that started it all:

And here is the considerably shorter American counterpart:

What is your favorite memory from Ninendo Direct?

Favorite moment from directs... haven't got a favorite moment but even if the announcements were bad, I enjoyed Iwata talking every time (except I still got annoyed a couple directs when there was 0 good news). Without him, I can take or leave the direct format, but it gets the job done.

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
The best Direct was probably still the E3 2014 reveal of Zelda U.

That entire reveal was the perfect build up. I knew the game was going to be something special immediately.

It didn't hurt that they had a BOMB trailer for Xenoblade Chronicles X as well.

Oh and fucking Splatoon reveal, wow. I honestly was disappointed at first cuz it seemed very Nickelodeon to me. Who knew the game would be so damn awesome??

I miss that style of Direct. The modern style with that super cheesy announcer isn't as good. I like the more behind the scenes style we got in that Direct.

Here it is for reference:

Last edited:
Top Bottom