• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Earning Report - February 3, 2022

arvfab

Banned
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe = 43.35 millions
Animal Crossing New Horizon = 37,62
Super Smash Bros Ultimate = 27,4
Zelda BOTW = 25.8
Pokemon Sword/Shield = 23.9
Super Mario Odyssey = 23.02
Super Mario Party = 17.39
Pokemon: Let’s Go, Pikachu / Eevee = 14.33
Splatoon 2 = 13.5 (estimate, somehow it's missing from official list)
Pokemon Brilliant Diamond / Shining Pearl = 13.97
Ring Fit Adventure = 13.53
New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe = 12.72
Luigi’s Mansion 3 =11.04
Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury = 8.85

Pikmin 3 missing even on Nintendo slides and lists 😩

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
It's fairly easy, Nintendo will be doing the same thing all the time. If it works - it works. If not - they will go the way of Nokia. I do not see Nintendo as a company being culturally able to do a 180 the same way e.g. Microsoft could with Xbox (or even the fact that Xbox was created, watch the series published on the Xbox channel, it's fascinating).

Bragr

Banned
It's fairly easy, Nintendo will be doing the same thing all the time. If it works - it works. If not - they will go the way of Nokia. I do not see Nintendo as a company being culturally able to do a 180 the same way e.g. Microsoft could with Xbox (or even the fact that Xbox was created, watch the series published on the Xbox channel, it's fascinating).
Huh? this is a cumbersome post, I have no idea what you are talking about here.

Nintendo did a 180 after the Gamecube. And what does this have to do with how Xbox was created?

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Huh? this is a cumbersome post, I have no idea what you are talking about here.

Nintendo did a 180 after the Gamecube. And what does this have to do with how Xbox was created?
Xbox required a change in mentality and mindset from a tech behemoth. Go watch the show to learn how the Xbox crew needed to gain recognition and respect to even hope of pitching Bill Gates.

Nintendo didn't do 180 at all, all they did was a change of hardware approach. The games are exactly the same - Mario, Zelda, Kirby, Metroid. Also which a lot of people forget about - changing the hardware approach allows Nintendo to be profitable immediately or much faster. So they don't take a big risk, and reap steady rewards.

Deerock71

giphy.gif
Nintendo:
Walter White Walk GIF by Breaking Bad

Switch sold 10.67 millions this past quarter

Switch total sales is at 103.54 millions

6OLavni.jpg

Switch Software Total Sales

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe = 43.35 millions
Animal Crossing New Horizon = 37,62
Super Smash Bros Ultimate = 27,4
Zelda BOTW = 25.8
Pokemon Sword/Shield = 23.9
Super Mario Odyssey = 23.02
Super Mario Party = 17.39
Pokemon: Let’s Go, Pikachu / Eevee = 14.33
Splatoon 2 = 13.5 (estimate, somehow it's missing from official list)
Pokemon Brilliant Diamond / Shining Pearl = 13.97
Ring Fit Adventure = 13.53
New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe = 12.72
Luigi’s Mansion 3 =11.04
Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury = 8.85

gpDKtfO.jpg

fSI5sHT.jpg

DG7I7fo.jpg

For reference, here's the numbers BEFORE this quarter

ffVREZp.png

Here is the updated data, copy and paste it in the OP if you want

oreLzuk.png

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned
Nintendo literally was a card company for the Yakuza more than a century ago, a taxi and love hotels company 60 years ago, a toy company 50 years ago and now they're a video game company. This kind of posts are funny as f!!!

kingfey

Banned
Switch is literally catching to ps4 numbers in just 5 years. that is a monster console. not to mention, those software sales are huge.

Animal crossing come out in 2020, and its already sold 37m. No wonder, they dont want switch 2 right now.

Kabelly

As a Wii U owner I immediately dropped it when BOTW was announced. Why would I play on the inferior hardware when I was just gonna buy the new console anyways.

Then for Mario Kart I traded it in for the Deluxe version. So technically I didn't pay full price but Nintendo still got 2 copies of that game from me.

System is great. Beating Ornstein and Smough on a bus ride was awesome.

I don't take the bus as muc anymore but I think if you're still rocking a 1080p TV like I am the Switch still looks great on the big screen.

Just wish performance was better. Still holding out for an upgraded Switch. I'll buy it immediately. The Switch concept is great and I would just love for them to keep moving forward with it. It's a culmination of *all* their consoles in one. which is why it's selling so well.

Last edited:

Interfectum

Imagine the ROI on that Pokemon remaster. Selling 14 million copies at full price when the game cost $10m tops to make is insane.
While tech companies are throwing bags of billions around to not miss out on the metaverse Nintendo is making games on the cheap and selling millions of them. Nintendo gonna out live all of their efforts in gaming.

kingfey

Banned
While tech companies are throwing bags of billions around to not miss out on the metaverse Nintendo is making games on the cheap and selling millions of them. Nintendo gonna out live all of their efforts in gaming.
Nintendo have kids games. They wont run out of business, as long as there are kids around the world.

Deerock71

Switch is literally catching to ps4 numbers in just 5 years. that is a monster console. not to mention, those software sales are huge.

Animal crossing come out in 2020, and its already sold 37m. No wonder, they dont want switch 2 right now.
That thing's gonna EASILY top 40 million. Unreal.

AJUMP23

Does the Mario Kart number include all the pack in sales of MK or are those just the sales separate from the pack in.

reksveks

Does the Mario Kart number include all the pack in sales of MK or are those just the sales separate from the pack in.
It includes bundles but apparently 1.4M units of total bundled software were shipped during Apr-Dec 2021, so most of those Mario Kart sales came from individual purchases. I don't know how much MK8 sold in that period

AJUMP23

It includes bundles but apparently 1.4M units of total bundled software were shipped during Apr-Dec 2021, so most of those Mario Kart sales came from individual purchases. I don't know how much MK8 sold in that period
the report say 7.7 million MK8 sales from April - DEC. SO pretty good.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Looks like sales peaked in 2020 though and Covid helped a lot with that. Hopefully this means Switch is way past the middle of it's life.

You really hate the new mario golf huh? I still have my copy sealed but it’s honestly the first mario golf I ever bought.

It looked fun to me but maybe I just bought it because you could play as bob bomb king lol
After the updates Mario Golf Superush is a decent game, 12 courses up from the 6 that launched and you get to play as Ninji and Wiggler now, what more could you ask for?

Kataploom

Gold Member
the thing about nintendo games is people buy them and buy them, and they are full priced, and old as hell and they meet very little resistance for their anti-consumer practices

Any other publisher gets dragged over the coals for not marking their games on sale and now people are vying for them to be included in a day 1 subscription service. Games which are far more costly to make at that

Yet nintendo is still selling a game from 2014 and 2011 for 60 dollars and people dont make a peep about it. It’s wild
Because we like some of their games so much we're ok with the prices? I don't buy whatever they release, I buy whatever I feel I may like, i.e.: Some games I waited enough to go down in price and that they seem not to are Sekiro and Dragon Quest XI, I'll be buying those at whatever price they are when I pull the trigger cause I think I may like them enough... I don't care what other devs do, to each their freedom to put the prices they want because these are only toys for entertainment... oc if they were cheaper would be better, but they are not so be it, I'll just skip some games I don't feel like paying full price 🤷‍♂️

kingfey

Banned
the thing about nintendo games is people buy them and buy them, and they are full priced, and old as hell and they meet very little resistance for their anti-consumer practices

Any other publisher gets dragged over the coals for not marking their games on sale and now people are vying for them to be included in a day 1 subscription service. Games which are far more costly to make at that

Yet nintendo is still selling a game from 2014 and 2011 for 60 dollars and people dont make a peep about it. It’s wild
Nintendo are the oldest gaming company, and their IPs are the most valuable in the gaming industry.

But the main reason why they dont lower their price, is because they are yakuza business. They know people want their games. They have no reason to lower the value of their games. Unlike other competitors, who cuts the price of their games after 1 year, thus devaluing their IPs in the process.

CobraAB

So is the switch classied as a portable or a console.

Of course, Switch Lite’s are portable only systems.

Nintendo has always dominated in portables.

mckmas8808

Banned
I dunno, I kinda disagree but he's the CEO

The game has changed. MS, Netflix, Facebook are racing to build the Netflix of video games, the metaverse platform/service, a completely different model than what Nintendo is used to. These giants are hungry for contents, they are hunting down existing 3rd party developers/publishers.

Nintendo needs to protect their ecosystem.
Their ecosystem is old-school gaming industry model, physical software/console system. They alone cannot support this old-school ecosystem, even they need other publishers. If those developers/publishers get bought out by the tech giants, it will destroy the gaming ecosystem as we know it.

If they buy Capcom, at least they double the amount of their IPs, that might just be enough to sustain them

I'm sure Nintendo knows that being Nintendo is better than doing what you're saying. It's why Nintendo is such a smart company. You're just talking crazy talk.

Interfectum

Nintendo doesn't devalue their IPs. That's not anti-consumer, it's smart.

Nintendo isn't buying up the industry for billions and holding it hostage under an attractive yet insidious subscription service. They make the games they've always made and if you want to play them, you have to pay for them. Pretty simple and effective business model.

Last edited:
PS4 is next. I don't see PS2 being dethroned, but who knows how long Nintendo keeps their generation going.

PS2 - 155
PS4 - 117
Switch - 103.5
PS1 - 102.5
Wii - 101.5
PS3 - 87.5
360 - 84

Ezquimacore

Banned
I'm sure Nintendo knows that being Nintendo is better than doing what you're saying. It's why Nintendo is such a smart company. You're just talking crazy talk.
I find amusing how every generation since the 90's try to do some kind of Nintendo examination and how new companies or new business models are going to be the end of Nintendo, all of that while we are in a thread of how Nintendo is dominating. It's a neverending cycle, it's hilarious. Reminds me of this video of journalists predicting how Sega was going to be the end of Nintendo.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Imagine the ROI on that Pokemon remaster. Selling 14 million copies at full price when the game cost $10m tops to make is insane.
Arceus also opened with 1.4M. It's bound to trend in the same direction and end up multi-million in about 2-3 months, lol. Crazy to think about.

Bragr

Banned
Xbox required a change in mentality and mindset from a tech behemoth. Go watch the show to learn how the Xbox crew needed to gain recognition and respect to even hope of pitching Bill Gates.

Nintendo didn't do 180 at all, all they did was a change of hardware approach. The games are exactly the same - Mario, Zelda, Kirby, Metroid. Also which a lot of people forget about - changing the hardware approach allows Nintendo to be profitable immediately or much faster. So they don't take a big risk, and reap steady rewards.
I did watch the documentary. Microsoft wanted to halt Sony, I don't see the big shift in mentality you are talking of.

Nintendo went from a traditional console to release a motion-controlled console. That might be the biggest change-up in console history, why shouldn't hardware count? can you imagine all the drama internally at Nintendo when they went with that thing, it could have very easily destroyed them.

What exactly do you want Nintendo to do here, stop making Mario and Zelda?

Nintendo not taking big risks? dude, Wii, Wii-U, Switch. Not exactly conventional systems.

Bragr

Banned
True, but they're also all a generation behind their respective competition (two, in Switch's case).
It's still massively expensive to develop these systems even with less power, just imagine the disaster of the Wii U, and then having to take the chance on the Switch. That's some balls. A lot of credible people were convinced that Nintendo was gonna abandon consoles altogether and focus on handhelds and smartphone games when the Wii U bombed, they don't have the cushion that Sony and Microsoft have.

tommib

I96P30g.jpg

george c scott salute GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

No idea. I thought it was because of this. He never seemed much of a warrior though.

Think it was that thread he created titled GT7 had a craig moment. Suprised he got banned for that since he was actually slating PS, not Xbox.

But, never the less

H79FS0t.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom